• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I call creative works pretentious when they're artistically appealing to look at, but nothing really happens that matches the visual presentation. Kind of like an abstract painting. "You can feel the emotion and writhing the painter went through and converted into this painting." It's just a bunch of paint swipes in random directions. :lol

Maybe contemporary is a more apt and less offensive description. :lol

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
It's the most pretentious anime I've seen. Probably. Wait, no, Shinkai exists.

Whoa. WHoa. WHOA!

I played the vanilla game on the ps2 and it took me just under 60 hours. I grinded a little bit though.

Hey guys, i finally beat Person 4, should i wait a while to watch the anime, or dive in now? Don't wait to get fatigued from that story.

I heard Marie sucked so i'm fine :)

T_T
Marie is great yo!

Though seriously, P4G the animation require P4 main story knowledge. You can understand the story, but in all honesty, P4G the animation is kinda meh, and the animation sucks. I enjoy watching it, but i won't recommend it to anyone.

Shergal

I call creative works pretentious when they're artistically appealing to look at, but nothing really happens that matches the visual presentation. Kind of like an abstract painting. "You can feel the emotion and writhing the painter went through and converted into this painting." It's just a bunch of paint swipes in random directions. :lol

This is all fine and dandy except it doesn't apply to Millennium Actress at all.

Clov

Sounds sort of like the opposite of Millennium Actress to me.

Let's save pretentious for anime which really deserve it like Angel Beats and SAO.

And, unfortunately, Ergo Proxy.

edit:

This really doesn't like something pretentious whatsoever. First of all the painting itself can hardly be called pretentious but rather someone's interpretation of it. Secondly, would you call Shinkai's movies less pretentious if they looked worse?

cajunator

Banned
If I were to call any of Satoshi Kon's work pretentious it would be Paprika. millennium Actress was basically his thought process manifested to perfection.

TheRancor

Wat, this doesn't sound like Millennium Actress at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So pictures of the natural body are looked down upon but posting murder fantasies is ok. Good to know.

cajunator

Banned
I still wish the two reporter in Millenium Actress not exist doe.

whaaaaat? That was the entire catalyst of the movie working as well as it does.
And also setting into motion the whole thing. Maybe the sidekick wasnt necessary but he was good comedy.

So now that I can appreciate allegory/thinking anime with my fine wine aging (confirmed with Kino's Journey) I wonder if I can go back and give a watch to texnholyze. I remember that being like that Daft Punk art house film where nobody said a world the whole film.
So pictures of the natural body are looked down upon but posting murder fantasies is ok. Good to know.
Well western countries are more accepting of violence media over sexual. If I had posted an image of something disgusting (say a certain scene from True Detective) then by all means. Sorry if it bothered you : I forget not everybody appreciates shit like this.

cajunator

Banned
I used to think this but then how'd you pace the movie and get the same tone? Their running commentary is kinda important to how the film feels, when I think about it.

Not to mention that
Genya was secretly in puppy love with Chiyoko the whole time
That kinda makes his exclusion take a lot out of the movie. All the elements were just sublimely balanced. I seriously will never stop gushing about that movie. Its one of my favorite ANYTHING.

Clov

If I were to call any of Satoshi Kon's work pretentious it would be Paprika. millennium Actress was basically his thought process manifested to perfection.

I wouldn't even call Paprika pretentious. It doesn't seem as well liked as Kon's other work here, but personally it's a film I'm in love with. The way it seamlessly blends reality and dreams is mesmerizing. What I think makes it special is how it connects dreams to all sorts of other things, like cinema and the internet. It's just so interesting to think about!

Someone call up Mappa and tell them to make a Kickstarter. I need The Dreaming Machine in my life, right now!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pil...marco-3000-leagues-in-search-of-mother/.77282

"Ultimately, despite serviceable animation and what is still clearly a classic story, MARCO never rises above mediocrity. From the moment the drippy English ballad starts playing (this time by Scottish songstress Sheena Easton), you know this is going to be one of those doleful mainstream melodramas of the sort Japanese live action is notorious for. In that regard, it doesn't disappoint."

I don't even.

Clov

I don't think one person in AnimeGAF has been banned for posting a natural body.

That's fair enough, but that was a bit of a creepy post, too. It's not too unreasonable to forbid users from describing in great detail how they'd want characters to be murdered, is it?

Narag

So now that I can appreciate allegory/thinking anime with my fine wine aging (confirmed with Kino's Journey) I wonder if I can go back and give a watch to texnholyze. I remember that being like that Daft Punk art house film where nobody said a world the whole film.

First ep or two is like that before becoming a more traditional sort of show.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pil...marco-3000-leagues-in-search-of-mother/.77282

"Ultimately, despite serviceable animation and what is still clearly a classic story, MARCO never rises above mediocrity. From the moment the drippy English ballad starts playing (this time by Scottish songstress Sheena Easton), you know this is going to be one of those doleful mainstream melodramas of the sort Japanese live action is notorious for. In that regard, it doesn't disappoint."

I don't even.

Never liked Marco as a child.

Heidi > Marco.

fertygo

I used to think this but then how'd you pace the movie and get the same tone? Their running commentary is kinda important to how the film feels, when I think about it.

This idea of having the movie as total reflection of the actress own nostalgia always bugging my own curiosity.. having the first shot in the movie with TV running the actress career journey's documentary on guest room without no one watching with the retired actress shown on depth of field, sitting on garden.. and after that the flashback playing.

Maybe its gonna change the narrative of "someone that still remembered" but still the 4th wall breaking is my least favorite part in that super innovative flashback montage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well western countries are more accepting of violence media over sexual. If I had posted an image of something disgusting (say a certain scene from True Detective) then by all means. Sorry if it bothered you : I forget not everybody appreciates shit like this.
West != US of A.

Even conservative UK finds tits before the watershed ok unlike maiming.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldn't even call Paprika pretentious. It doesn't seem as well liked as Kon's other work here, but personally it's a film I'm in love with. The way it seamlessly blends reality and dreams is mesmerizing. What I think makes it special is how it connects dreams to all sorts of other things, like cinema and the internet. It's just so interesting to think about!

Someone call up Mappa and tell them to make a Kickstarter. I need The Dreaming Machine in my life, right now!

Well I wouldnt either since I love all of Satoshi Kon's works but I mean if one HAS to be called that...

This idea of having the movie as total reflection of the actress own nostalgia always bugging my own curiosity.. having the first shot in the movie with TV running the actress career journey's documentary on guest room without no one watching with the retired actress shown on depth of field, sitting on garden.. and after that the flashback playing.

Maybe its gonna change the narrative of "someone that still remembered" but still the 4th wall breaking is my least favorite part in that super innovative flashback montage.

I dont think that would have quite the same creative impact as the way Kon did it. With the TV guys "reliving" her past life and movies through nostalgia it really brought the fantasy/reality twisting into play. It was Satoshi Kon's genius at work.
Now Im all upset. Fuck why did he have to go so soon :(
Fuck.

West != US of A.

Even conservative UK finds tits before the watershed ok unlike maiming.
Well I'm speaking more of an international point of view of North and South America. I think heavy religion based cultures give more a free pass to violence over Sexuality in south America as well. Less social stigma. From a European perspective true though I would say Europe does like its sexy sex.

cajunator

Banned
2rHP2sp.png
Ill just leave this here.

Love Lab 9
The way they got Sayo out of that mess was pretty ridiculous and funny. So was the other news girl when Maki was being ridiculous. Eno was quite cute in that flashback.

Gazoinks

In this case it kind of works because the movie is in an older animation style to begin with.

And now Im listening to the soundtrack again. Probably one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_N5gL6zUc

Susumu Hirasawa's a wonderful composer. A lot of the stuff he used on the Kon soundtracks were actually remixes of his solo work. I'm totally blanking out on which song this one was, but it was one!

Europe confirmed for not part of the Western world.
In world maps you're in the center. Central world for all of yous.

Though to be fair there needs to be some consistency in the maps. For example when I was a kid living in SA we called the whole landmass America. Resulted in some confusion when I came here when they insisted the three divisions were separated as continents.
Which is funny because in a thread about a Japanese medium, the USA is actually in the east.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/5Pu5em3.gif[/IMG]
Now I learn this. Jesus can we get consistency?

So you are saying it's that Millennium Actress is like abstract painting.

Gotcha.

I have another theory of what it is really happening, but I will keep it for myself.

Clov

Also this made me remember there's still no Blu-ray for Millenium Actress, feck.

It has one in Japan, along with Satoshi Kon's other work! The only BD of his that we have in North America is Paprika.

I really hope that someone brings the rest of his work on BD over here. His stuff needs to be seen in the best quality possible!

If you live in the UK though, you can get Perfect Blue on BD. Lucky!

Firemind

This really doesn't like something pretentious whatsoever. First of all the painting itself can hardly be called pretentious but rather someone's interpretation of it. Secondly, would you call Shinkai's movies less pretentious if they looked worse?

Well, yes. There's no real reason telling a simplistic story by making it so visually impressive, other than to impress viewers of his skills and fellate his ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom