• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5
aFpMS.png

late, but still relevant

Aldnoah Zero 5

If this show keeps declining we're going to have something truly hilarious on our hands. I wanna know how the king of Mars was supposedly dissuaded from his suspicions, because it really makes no sense whatsoever that he was thrown off the scent by one of the guys he was suspicious of to begin with. That's not something you can just do offscreen and have me buy it. I guess we finally met the one Martian who's not EVIL, but it turns out that he's a moron.

As for Inaho, it really bothers me that the mech he's fighting never comes across as terribly threatening. It seems to get as far as it does through incompetence from the soldiers. who just stand there, and because the turrets refused to fire more than twice despite the fact that the mech was moving at about the pace of a leisurely stroll.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nekomongatari 2-4

Overall pretty much on par with bakemonogatari in terms on what I loved about it. The story arcs are a lot more focused instead of being all over the place in nise. However I guess that I'm just somewhat confused with araragi's intentions? Maybe it's just the way shinobu disposed of the white cat so easily which warped my perception on why araragi had to sacrifice himself in order to get rid of the white cat.

Thoraxes

Man, the tracking on my CCS order hasn't updated at all since the initial e-mail. Hopefully this is like those other times where it just never updated till it was delivered.

Or i'll cry.

Rumbling Hearts 01

Time for another watchbet with Mike...

So we have a confession in the first 10 minutes, a kiss by the end of the first episode and a jealous friend. Why do I get the feeling this is going to end badly? School Days has ruined everything for me.

phaze

I watched the first OVA the other day and I thought it was good, it follows closely the style of Gits SAC in types of plot, direction, animation, etc. Though the story in this one was particularly convoluted,
in part because they play with the concept of memories and fake memories,
but really, I had to pause and rewind some times lol.

I'm fairly sure that even multiple rewinds didn't help me understand the ending exposition fully. lol

Durarara!! 04-05
Dangerous monsters, stalkers, puberty and gangs. Dullahan get's some back story and we learn about the main characters' backstory. I didn't notice any Baccano! references these past two episodes.

Wait for episode 11 !

So after starting Detective Conan 425, I found out that I somehow missed episodes 176-178. 425 summed it up and I am sure it wont affect my understanding of the story, but should I go back and watch them after 425?

On another note, I watched Ghost in the Shell SAC episode 1 and I didn't really get too interested in it. Does it get a lot better?

The weekdays are so empty this season...

It remains similar with 14 "stand alone" cases and 12 episodes devoted to the main plot ("complex"). I'd give it a shot until episode 4 where the main case begins, maybe it will grab you there.

Toradora 20
11-3-not-funny.gif

You gotta love these sadistic writers

They're not quite done yet !

Gatchaman Crowds 01

Space r̶a̶p̶i̶s̶t̶ Zordon recruits a new teenager with attitude by shoving his hand into her chest and other suggestive imagery. -_- The newly recruited Hajime does indeed have quite an attitude and quickly makes herself a nuisance to the rest of Power Rangers.

Eh I've heard some good things about it but this was just not my cup of coffee. Can't quite put my finger on it but the character designs rub me the wrong way too, the bikini clad girl didn't help. Will give it another episode.

JJ gave me Kyubei vibes.

Nordicus

Rumbling Hearts 01

Time for another watchbet with Mike...

So we have a confession in the first 10 minutes, a kiss by the end of the first episode and a jealous friend. Why do I get the feeling this is going to end badly? School Days has ruined everything for me.
Oh, what does Mike have to watch then?

Rumbling Hearts 01

Don't worry. Nothing bad will... no, wait... There's no bags or boats in this one. That I can promise you :p

Oh, what does Mike have to watch then?

I already finished my part. Watched Flowers of Evil.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't actually remember much about Tora Dora Dora. I remember finding the switch from animated romance comedy to live action portrayal of the Pearl Harbour bombing odd, but I don't really remember the individual moments.

Theonik

And I'll tell ya one good thing that show did for me. It taught me never to watch Strike Witches with the same mindset I had watching Vividred because I'd be very dissapointed!
It's a good general lesson to learn though Strike Witches has a lot more to offer you if you watch it right, and I'm not just talking cute girls!

It was a show about girls doing the fusion dance with a plot that was a weird mix between Evangelion(apparently), Mazinger Z, and Nanoha!

It could have been so much more!
Looking back at Vividred, while I enjoyed it I can see how them playing it safe as they did could irk some people. I can't be too down on the show though as it didn't really do anything offensively bad and it did lead me into Strike Witches...

Gundam Build Fighters 24

This fucking show, you guys. It really is the greatest Gundam series in ages.
Don't forget:
(probably a closer visual reference in scenes like that with beamsabres)

Re Hamatora - 05

Looks like Art has his own little team, for now it at least.
Not surprised the old detective was killed though, it was a matter of time before he got in too deep. Surprised it was the same episode as the warning though.

Hanayamata - 05

Why is Yaya such a great tsundere? This one is probably my favorite SoL show this season. Great to finally see them see some yasokoi in action as well.

Rumbling Hearts 02

Haruka's sister is great.

I'm getting serious School Day vibes, Narumi is going way too fast for anime relationships. Well at least he doesn't have Makoto's attitude and seems like a nice guy.

Everything is going great so far! He's got good friends, he's a nice guy who buys presents for jealous girl who show up out of the blue to say it's her birthday and he likes to make his girlfriend wait for him. Nothing could possibly go... oh... WTF?!

Quasar

I kinda sympathise with the top SOS tweet as bad grammar is always a terrible thing.

Oh lawd at the KLK tweet though.

I do sympathise with the whole classifying MLP as anime. But hey if Robototech gets classed as non anime or anime inspired, I guess a Japanese version of MLP should count as anime.

BluWacky

Summer elite 4

Is anyone in the thread watching Book of Circus? I never really got into Kuroshitsuji and I haven't really noticed anyone talking about it - I know it's not really this thread's demographic (it's basically a fujoshi show) but I was wondering whether this one was any good. Apologies if people have been posting impressions regularly... the only reason I really considered watching this season is because Yasunori Mitsuda is doing the music, to be honest.

Theonik

I do sympathise with the whole classifying MLP as anime. But hey if Robototech gets classed as non anime or anime inspired, I guess a Japanese version of MLP should count as anime.
Nah I only sympathise with the grammar nag, not with anything else.
That being said the 'anime community' are really shitty about this thing. Or should I say MAL-esque community, getting rid of awesome shows like Valerian and Laureline.

Quasar

Nah I only sympathise with the grammar nag, not with anything else.
That being said the 'anime community' are really shitty about this thing. Or should I say MAL-esque community, getting rid of awesome shows like Valerian and Laureline.

It seems theres only two real answers. I guess either animation made by japanese companies, or animation made with a Japanese creative source. Of course I can see either upsetting conservative folks. One would allow things like Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers counting as anime, and the other would allow shows created by a Japanese person for the western market counting as anime.

Antiwhippy

Is anyone in the thread watching Book of Circus? I never really got into Kuroshitsuji and I haven't really noticed anyone talking about it - I know it's not really this thread's demographic (it's basically a fujoshi show) but I was wondering whether this one was any good. Apologies if people have been posting impressions regularly... the only reason I really considered watching this season is because Yasunori Mitsuda is doing the music, to be honest.

Well, I haven't watched the show, but if they adapted it well it is definitely one of the better arcs of the series.

Theonik

It seems theres only two real answers. I guess either animation made by japanese companies, or animation made with a Japanese creative source. Of course I can see either upsetting conservative folks. One would allow things like Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers counting as anime, and the other would allow shows created by a Japanese person for the western market counting as anime.
Honestly I think it's an inherently bad question asked only by silly list nerds with a bone to pick.
In the case of Valerian and Laureline though, the show is made by Satellite with a french co-production.

Quasar

Honestly I think it's an inherently bad question asked only by silly list nerds with a bone to pick.
In the case of Valerian and Laureline though, the show is made by Satellite with a french co-production.

If we can argue about genres, I feel there is room for equally silly arguments about what medium (or subset of medium) a piece of fiction belongs.

Never heard of Valerian and Laureline.

Theonik

If we can argue about genres, I feel there is room for equally silly arguments about what medium (or subset of medium) a piece of fiction belongs.

Never heard of Valerian and Laureline.
The genre argument is also entirely dumb btw. I remember many a dumb argument here about whether something is harem or not with some people being really desperate to defend shows for not being so. (because obviously when you label something harem it has to automatically suck and liking it makes you some sick tasteless pervert or something)

Quasar

The genre argument is also entirely dumb btw. I remember many a dumb argument here about whether something is harem or not with some people being really desperate to defend shows for not being so. (because obviously when you label something harem it has to automatically suck and liking it makes you some sick tasteless pervert or something)

Well I just dislike it as a genre name, ditto slice of life. I don't need silly new genre terms where others would fit, like romantic comedy or drama.

Rumbling Hearts 03

His co-workers are kind of oddballs.

Well it looks like Takayuki completely forgot about his girlfriend. It seems she is still in a coma at the hospital. Her sister is pissed at him too. Does Mitsuki have no shame?

Quasar

Rumbling Hearts 03

Well it looks like Takayuki completely forgot about his girlfriend. It seems she is still in a coma at the hospital. Her sister is pissed at him too. Does Mitsuki have no shame?

He lost that in the wash.

I like Akira a lot, but I think the ending is bad and a lot of the characters and plot points are left kinda half-baked.

Same, well with the exception that I didn't end up liking it a lot because of these flaws. I mean it's visually a masterpiece, no doubt, but the visuals are also pretty much all I enjoyed about it. (Though I can't quite recall how the soundtrack was right now).

fertygo

Kuroshitsuji is a fun watch, unique setting, one of the most fun Gary Stu to watch around, Superntural (The TV Show) vibe with the angel/demon dynamic..

The circus arc is promising so far.

Antiwhippy

Monogatari - Tsubasa Tiger arc

Loved it honestly. Nice exploration of tsubasa's character and I was a little touched when she cried at the end, not because of her heartbreak but because she finally learnt to accept that part of herself, which was really well built up throughout the arc.

Does make me question on how the fuck nisemonogatari is even conceived considering what we got here.

That guy from Kizumonogatari, he first appear in Bakemonogatari ep. 1 flashback.

Ah, I couldn't remember that.

kiryogi

Banned
Rumbling Hearts 03

Team Mitsuki all the way.

Hanayamata - 03

So , Well friendship "rocks"

But this episode was more than that. we've got multiple forshadowing events for later and some good character develloppement .
Really the direction this cast takes is really enjoyable.

The James Bond parody was great;

No really this anime does great things.
Only problem was this scene.
That shot was clearly made in a hurry.
Thankfully the rest of the anime was great.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Monogatari - Tsubasa Tiger arc

Loved it honestly. Nice exploration of tsubasa's character and I was a little touched when she cried at the end, not because of her heartbreak but because she finally learnt to accept that part of herself, which was really well built up throughout the arc.

Does make me question on how the fuck nisemonogatari is even conceived considering what we got here.

Ah, I couldn't remember that.

Trivia: According to Nisio, he never plan to publish Nise, he only publish it after the editor force him to, that's why the qualitiy is questionable, and the fanservice is over the top. (he could be lying though)

if i haven't read Kizu, i sure as hell won't remember Episode :p

Love Lab 8
Riko's negative reaction to her nickname was hilarious. I am sort of confused about the newspaper club's goals now. And it was quite harsh for the Treasurer girl at the end.

Trivia: According to Nisio, he never plan to publish Nise, he only publish it after the editor force him to, that's why the qualitiy is questionable, and the fanservice is over the top. (he could be lying though)

if i haven't read Kizu, i sure as hell won't remember Episode :p

I think this is part of the global theme of everything/everyone in "Nise" to be fake, to be an impostor at some point( himself working on this included )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom