• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spice and Wolf - 12

If you seriously decide to kill your partner in crime because you're afraid of blackmail and the like I'm pretty darn sure you would make certain he actually ends up dead.

But no, suddenly they want to take the risk and do nothing but binding his hands behind his back. They even do so after specifically stating that they probably couldn't deal with his lady partner, Holo, yet, they don't just kill Lawrence on the spot.

Yeah that's bullshit writing.

sasuke_91

So, what about these Ghibli stories I hear everywhere? It's kinda contradicting. Do they close the studio now or do they not?
I really hope they don't.

Air the Motion Picture

YHGSDSY.jpg

Compared to the TV series this is of course a much more focused experience. They've cut out most of the side characters and only focus on the Yukito/Misuzu and Kanna/Ryuya dual stories.

The romance between Yukito and Misuzu plays a bigger part and there's also other various changes, but it follows a lot of the same story beats.

As you can see from the screenshot, it's probably the least Key looking Key adaptation. Instead it has a lot of the director Osamu Dezaki's trademarks. Split-screens, lots of lights and still paintings.

It uses the songs Tori no Uta, Aozora and Farewell Song in a similar fashion that the TV series did so that's alright.

It's slightly less sad, but it's also better at telling a coherent story and explaining what's going on, so I actually slightly prefer this movie over the TV series.

I give it 3.5/5 gao gao stegosauruses:
xSwEQS8.png
xSwEQS8.png
xSwEQS8.png
6GYSctd.png
zI77A45.png

Friends don't let friends watch Rumbling Hearts.

I don't know what this bet was for, but you lost.

So it seems I slept through the start of a Rumbling Hearts watchbet.

I get angry just remembering that show.

So he gave you a nice dinner and you threw poop at his face.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh.
Yeah this one...

I feel scammed. Mike, we need to talk...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, yes. There's no real reason telling a simplistic story by making it so visually impressive, other than to impress viewers of his skills and fellate his ego.

i'm very confused with this statements. Shinkai strong points is his impressive visual. It'll be strange if he didn't implement his strong points in his work...

Clov

Well, yes. There's no real reason telling a simplistic story by making it so visually impressive, other than to impress viewers of his skills and fellate his ego.

Given the nature of the medium, it's only natural that one would try to make their work look as good as possible. Shinkai's work uses a photorealistic style. It's what he does well. How does this make him pretentious? Are you trying to say that only works with complex stories should be visually impressive?

I guess by this definition Little Witch Academia is pretentious as well. It has such a basic story to it, yet it's animated so well!

Well considering that the rest of the Internet seems to have a largely different taste than us here at AnimeGAF maybe we're the weird ones. I mean a large amount of folks here are watching SAO2 as something very close to hate watch.

Firemind

i'm very confused with this statements. Shinkai strong points is his impressive visual. It'll be strange if he didn't implement his strong points in his work...

Visuals aren't everything. It's like having a symphony orchestra in a concert hall and the conductor conducts Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Shinkai has the instruments, but it's wasted on a basic script.

Jex

I call creative works pretentious when they're artistically appealing to look at, but nothing really happens that matches the visual presentation. Kind of like an abstract painting. "You can feel the emotion and writhing the painter went through and converted into this painting." It's just a bunch of paint swipes in random directions. :lol

Maybe contemporary is a more apt and less offensive description. :lol

One one hand, pretentious has a fairly fixed meaning which is separate to how you're using it here. On the other hand, what you're saying doesn't apply to the film in question.

Spice and Wolf - 13 (END)

In episode 4 they almost kiss...yet I'm finishing episode 13 and they don't even give me that. Blergh.

Well yeh that was really mediocre to me. The medieval setting and narration focus on trading were somewhat fresh, yet only so-so interesting.

The characters just didn't work well enough, especially when i take a closer look at Holo, who feels like the perfect entity to pander to the broad audience that requires nothing more but some, on the surface, 'perfect waifu'.

You know they're Lawrence and her are still likable characters, just not particularly interesting ones. If I were more fond of them, I surely would've enjoyed the show much more as it's almost all about their banter.

Have to say though..., I get that it's pretty much part of the premise and should be accepted if you want to enjoy the show at all but the whole idea that this 400+ years old Wolf-God turns into this hot, foxy lady with these generic character traits (becomes quite tsundere for example) is kinda really stupid.

All in all, just an average show for me.

cajunator

Banned
Is Toei really this infamous for bad animation? The only Toei shows I've watched have been Mazinger ones, so I don't really know.

Oh yes. they are legendary.

Just a saxophone quartet, and the new theme song for the Player One Podcast!

Hnnng
links?

Air the Motion Picture

Compared to the TV series this is of course a much more focused experience. They've cut out most of the side characters and only focus on the Yukito/Misuzu and Kanna/Ryuya dual stories.

The romance between Yukito and Misuzu plays a bigger part and there's also other various changes, but it follows a lot of the same story beats.

As you can see from the screenshot, it's probably the least Key looking Key adaptation. Instead it has a lot of the director Osamu Dezaki's trademarks. Split-screens, lots of lights and still paintings.

It uses the songs Tori no Uta, Aozora and Farewell Song in a similar fashion that the TV series did so that's alright.

It's slightly less sad, but it's also better at telling a coherent story and explaining what's going on, so I actually slightly prefer this movie over the TV series.

I give it 3.5/5 gao gao stegosauruses:
xSwEQS8.png
xSwEQS8.png
xSwEQS8.png
6GYSctd.png
zI77A45.png

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I have a shirt with that logo on it!!

Clov

HxH 141

Such an absolutely priceless face. He simply does not give a fuck who he trolls, I love Hisoka so much. I also cannot imagine that battle at the end going well at all.

Yeah, I have a feeling that
Gotoh is in for a MAJOR ass-kicking,

My other thoughts on this episode: Illumi is still a huge dick, and that's one impressive limo the Zoldyck family has.

Firemind

One one hand, pretentious has a fairly fixed meaning which is separate to how you're using it here. On the other hand, what you're saying doesn't apply to the film in question.

pre•ten•tious (prɪˈtɛn ʃəs)

adj.
1. full of pretension; characterized by the assumption of dignity, importance, artistic distinction, etc.
2. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious; showy.

How does that not apply to Shinkai's works? I admit I was trying to rile up people by calling Millennium Actress pretentious; I love Satoshi Kon's works, but it's not his absolute best work. Feel free to disagree.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes it is.

You're objectively wrong.

There is no disagreement here, I think you're an intruder from another dimension where Millenium Actress wasn't his best work.

But it is in this one.

cajunator

Banned
Ok ok calm down. Millennium Actress is a perfect movie but I dont want yall fighting. I just wanted to suggest it to Kirbyguy to watch with his friends >_<

Yeah, I have a feeling that
Gotoh is in for a MAJOR ass-kicking,

My other thoughts on this episode: Illumi is still a huge dick, and that's one impressive limo the Zoldyck family has.
I'm fully expecting Hisoka to kill him if not leave him for dead. I mean why wouldn't he? That's just what he does. I do hope Gotoh puts up a good fight, I love the guy as well.

For a family of killers they do have some style.

Jex

[Babylon 5] - 1

Finally, a sci-fi show with worse CGI than an anime. All I had to do was travel back in time to 1992! Anyway this seems pretty solid, all things considered (and there are many things to consider like the sets, acting, editing, lighting etc). I'm sure it'll improve with time.

Also, what's with the main guy? He's a head diplomat, head of the station and a fighter pilot? What a fantasy!

Kino's Journey 11: Her Journey
Hmmm. I'm getting to the point it's getting harder to decipher if the episode had a meaning to it, at least on a first watch. On the first part we have various stories of fruitless endeavors with
the man seeking redemption who gets shot to death, and the woman making a statement about the evil of weapons with a man who is killing everybody who threatens her with a gun right behind her back
. In both instances Kino was asked what is the most important aspect of being a traveler, and her answer was simple and straight to the point but ultimately her answer fell on deaf ears.

Then we have the story of the hermit Wise Man. His part I don't know if it had much of a point outside of showing possible repercussions to extreme solutions, but his story was largely about point of views and misconceptions on what makes his character. At the end when
he regains his self-consciousness and begins to cry over living a meaningless life
it made me take a look at myself since my whole life has been about making myself useful and wanting more. Heck most of humanity is like this. It seems like the commentary was that selflessness comes from a lack of self-consciousness. Definitely an eye opener for audiences.

Mature

Its been awhile since I've seen all the Kon movies, but:
Perfect Blue > Tokyo Godfathers > Millennium Actress > Paprika

I don't think I could properly rate Paranoia Agent against his films.

[Babylon 5] - 1

Finally, a sci-fi show with worse CGI than an anime. All I had to do was travel back in time to 1992! Anyway this seems pretty solid, all things considered (and there are many things to consider like the sets, acting, editing, lighting etc). I'm sure it'll improve with time.

Also, what's with the main guy? He's a head diplomat, head of the station and a fighter pilot? What a fantasy!

I always wanted to see it, as from time to time I read comments praising it as a smart scifi series with a proper plot planned from the start and developed in entire seasons. So remember to post impressions at the end.

USIGSJ

[Babylon 5] - 1

Stick with it. I was reluctant to watch it, got turned off by awful CGI first time, then after several years gave it another shot. Was totally worth it.

Quasar

[Babylon 5] - 1

Love B5. My favourite US SF show.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 11: Her Journey

Hmmm. I'm getting to the point it's getting harder to decipher if the episode had a meaning to it, at least on a first watch. On the first part we have various stories of fruitless endeavors with
the man seeking redemption who gets shot to death, and the woman making a statement about the evil of weapons with a man who is killing everybody who threatens her with a gun right behind her back
. In both instances Kino was asked what is the most important aspect of being a traveler, and her answer was simple and straight to the point but ultimately her answer fell on deaf ears.

Then we have the story of the hermit Wise Man. His part I don't know if it had much of a point outside of showing possible repercussions to extreme solutions, but his story was largely about point of views and misconceptions on what makes his character. At the end when
he regains his self-consciousness and begins to cry over living a meaningless life
it made me take a look at myself since my whole life has been about making myself useful and wanting more. Heck most of humanity is like this. It seems like the commentary was that selflessness comes from a lack of self-consciousness. Definitely an eye opener for audiences.

Several episodes of Kino are like that. a loose collection of ideas rather than a consistent message. these episodes are almost told in anecdotal format instead of a straightforward tale. It still works well but I prefer the episodes with an overall singular meaning.
The next episode though....oh wow.

I wouldnt understand a lick of it but...I think I want that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom