• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Do you need to understand considering you probably know it almost by heart by now?
Only that without subs you can appreciate the visuals a lot better.

Hmmm. True. Ive seen it so much I can tell what they are saying at any given moment lol.
Goodp oint.

Style is substance.
Perhaps it's time to retire this. There's visual substance and then there is narrative/thematic substance. (Still heavily simplified but an improvement.)

Edit: On second thought, I don't like the phrasing of that. For one, there is overlap between the two.
So pictures of the natural body are looked down upon but posting murder fantasies is ok. Good to know.
Can't tell if serious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Babylon 5] - 1

Finally, a sci-fi show with worse CGI than an anime. All I had to do was travel back in time to 1992! Anyway this seems pretty solid, all things considered (and there are many things to consider like the sets, acting, editing, lighting etc). I'm sure it'll improve with time.

Also, what's with the main guy? He's a head diplomat, head of the station and a fighter pilot? What a fantasy!
Better than space Romans. :(

Also, which order are you watching it in? Like LOGH, there is a strange order. The pilot movie should be watched first, but the prequel movie should be watched last!

Soma

Its been awhile since I've seen all the Kon movies, but:
Perfect Blue > Tokyo Godfathers > Millennium Actress > Paprika

I don't think I could properly rate Paranoia Agent against his films.

Nice.

Perfect Blue has always been my favorite Kon film and just a really important film for me when I started digging deeper into anime.

jgminto

Hunter X Hunter 141
i9jhIWKiLauQQ.png

Adorable!
Seems like the arc is about to get exciting. I hope we see Killua take on Illumi, really want to see Killua fry him. The Election seems pretty exciting too, Leorio winning would be amazing. I hope the animation is better than this episode though. The car accident looked pretty stiff.

PK Gaming

Toradora 21

idwvw0xLiEAhW.gif

(Also known as the Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting episode)

Man, what a great episode! I was getting kinda frustrated with how everyone the constant lying / putting on appearances... I really got a kick out of seeing the building drama just explode in everyone's faces. I particularly enjoyed how even Ami wasn't above it. Despite pretending otherwise, she was just as duplicitous and dishonest as her peers. I don't condone her desire to incite drama and pick fights, but I can honestly emphasize with what she's going through. She's jealous and bitter, and keeps herself sane by belittling her "foolish" classmates, but at the end of the day, she's really no different then the rest of them.

Taiga is in love with Ryuji now. Ew, ew, ew, EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The anime's gone love square now.

mankoto

Ao Haru Ride 5
Friends get closer and simutainously turn into secret rivals. Oh no. Well, at least Kominato, got the screentime he needs. And it's only natural that Murao asked Yuuri to keep quiet.

Mature

Toradora looks like the kind of show I never want to see.

I'd say it's one of the best OPs of the season.
Yeah, I think it might be my favorite too, which is surprising, because I quite enjoy Barakamon and Terror in Resonance's OPs too.

Oh right, I forgot Spice and Wolf has two seasons out and people are complaining about not getting the third (and last?).

But eh, probably not gonna check it out in the foreseeable future.

Also, +1 on Nozaki-kun OP!

Necrovex

[Babylon 5] - 1

Finally, a sci-fi show with worse CGI than an anime. All I had to do was travel back in time to 1992! Anyway this seems pretty solid, all things considered (and there are many things to consider like the sets, acting, editing, lighting etc). I'm sure it'll improve with time.

Also, what's with the main guy? He's a head diplomat, head of the station and a fighter pilot? What a fantasy!

I would love to watch Babylon 5, but Netflix took it down a few years ago, and they haven't placed it back up. :'-(

mankoto

Re:Hamatora 5
So just about everybody in the gang has turned into a defect and Art has new friends
minus an old one.

Mature

Love polygons and high school melodrama are the best. /sarc
Maybe its an effect of getting older, but stories that have a narrative focused on highschool romance being the most important and dramatic thing ever make me shiver. Just checking my malgraph, the last few highschool romances I legitimately enjoyed were Ano Natsu de Matteru, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Flowers of Evil. The foremost is a notable exception, but the latter two deviate from the typical formula in a big way. I wonder what I enjoyed about Ano Natsu?

Clov

My favorite opening and ending of the season both have to go to Terror in Resonance. Both of the songs are great, and the opening has a lot of really cool visuals. The ending's animation is a bit eerie, but I like it.

The OP for Hanayamata is really great as well.

It really is! Such a catchy song.

Mature

Have you seen the Yama no Susume S2 OP? That's pretty easily my favorite OP of the season. Just unquenchably creative and joyous.
I hadn't! It's certainly eye-catching and well directed. And I didn't know that Encouragement of Climb now has 15 minutes episodes. I remember watching a few episodes of the first season and not being especially grabbed by it, but not totally dismissive either. As I recall, people gave the show good marks when it was first airing. Is everyone still as receptive?

Midonin

Ikkitousen 04-06

Well, that got uncomfortable very quickly. For every moment of relatively innocent fanservice, there's an equal scene of battle to balance it out, and battle just keeps pulling ahead by the nature of the series. Ryomou's humiliation definitely feels like it was written to shock, and if it works or not will depend on how much it's brought up down the line. As the narrations at the end of each episode show, beneath everything else about the series, the story's so well known in Japan that getting the Three Kingdoms right is pretty easy to do. The characters and relationships are mostly as they should be. Though I want to root for Kannu because I loved her Koihime Musou incarnation.

Is everyone still as receptive?
I'll let you know once CR releases more than the first episode.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi 39
I knew some of the shots reminded me of something else, of course this was one of the Yamauchi episodes.
i0GihMf0x9v7d.jpg
ih3Jt29ctlTcb.jpg

Left is Doremi 39, right is From the New World 5
This dude has such a distinct style of cutting and organizing space it's impossible to mistake him for somebody else. The episode felt way different than usual. Not necessarily better than Igarashi or Sato eps, but different. There's a lot of flourishes thrown in here and there, like seeing a scene through a window, moving the camera through a small hole in the ceiling or even that damn rotating bench LOL. It was also notably cheap. Yamauchi deals with cheapness better than most though, he used some short-cuts such as sliding stills around the frame deliberately for comedic purposes.

Can't be happy enough with yet another episode breaking up the usual, this time with a focus on Doremi who proves again she's the centrepiece of the comedic interactions. I'm also still amused by the character of Onpu. She's, de facto, the rival -at least for now-, yet the way she acts is completely disconnected from this fact. She doesn't seem to care, the same way she doesn't care much about what Majo Ruka says or about the kind of magic she uses. She's even friendly with the main characters. It's funny, then, that a good bunch of their interactions so far do end up delivering on the concept of Onpu fucking around with the Ojamajos. There was the way she delayed them during the level 4 exam, and now there's this episode which feels like a convenient accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom