• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't! It's certainly eye-catching and well directed. And I didn't know that Encouragement of Climb now has 15 minutes episodes. I remember watching a few episodes of the first season and not being especially grabbed by it, but not totally dismissive either. As I recall, people gave the show good marks when it was first airing. Is everyone still as receptive?

The second season is still as charming and attractive as the first, just in longer doses this time. The characters have good chemistry together, and the focus on hiking/mountain climbing gives it a unique flair. I'd encourage everyone who likes relaxed slice-of-life shows to check it out.

Maybe its an effect of getting older, but stories that have a narrative focused on highschool romance being the most important and dramatic thing ever make me shiver. Just checking my malgraph, the last few highschool romances I legitimately enjoyed were Ano Natsu de Matteru, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Flowers of Evil. The foremost is a notable exception, but the latter two deviate from the typical formula in a big way. I wonder what I enjoyed about Ano Natsu?

Ano Natsu really benefits from its pacing, because other than that it really is just another highschool drama with thin characters.

Maybe its an effect of getting older, but stories that have a narrative focused on highschool romance being the most important and dramatic thing ever make me shiver. Just checking my malgraph, the last few highschool romances I legitimately enjoyed were Ano Natsu de Matteru, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Flowers of Evil. The foremost is a notable exception, but the latter two deviate from the typical formula in a big way. I wonder what I enjoyed about Ano Natsu?

YOU ENJOYED HER TEARS

M3GEEU9.gif

I think I liked that the leads had really good chemistry and there was no "I love two boys/girls at once" drama. Plus they somewhat end up together not at the complete end

PK Gaming

Re: Toradora

I can definitely see where the detractors are coming from. The premise isn't exactly novel, the characters are kinda rote (with Taiga being a tsundere) and it can get a little overly dramatic at times. I'm definitely not fond of the love rectangle either.
I think it would have been fine if Taiga and Kushieda were the only ones who had feelings for Ryuji.
But with all that said, it's strengths are notable. The characters & individual relationships are intriguing (hell even the side characters are great), the comedy is pretty good, and each major arc is fun. If my friend didn't suggested it to me, I probably wouldn't have given it a passing glance.

(Can't forget about her either)

Ultimately, i'm all about the execution. If the execution is good, then the fact it relies on tired tropes doesn't bother me as much.

Kino's Journey 12: A Peaceful Land
joqRAZv.gif

Before I comment on my glaring issue with the episode, let me just say that the message of human nature and war was well done. I mean it has been done to death by other shows/books, but the execution was very well done. This episode also seems to have been written by a certain anime Batman, because the ideals of
the greater good regardless of the actions taken
were exactly his. The eerie vibe, the music, the dialogue, all was well done. The pathetic side of humanity, the cruelty. I get it.

But can somebody tell me why
if they have been killing the same country over and over again for 15 years why they haven't left the country and moved far away? These are relatively modern times, and unless they're kept under surveillance 24/7 so they can't escape there is no reason why the folks of the neighboring city wouldn't escape. They even acknowledge they don't have the firepower to win
. This kept me from fully enjoying the episode, as well done as it was.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Still wrapping up last seasons shows because I suck at watching anime.

Just finished up Nanana. Really enjoyable show, honestly probably my favorite show from last season that I've gotten to finished so far. That ending though, what the fuck?.

I'm guessing theres no chance this show gets a S2? Dunno how those DVD sales went. God I hate it when shows refuse to wrap up a show up and instead do a teaser for a sequel that never happens. Aku no Hana really ruined a lot of what made it great with that last episode.

I don't think it's you (or I) getting old so much as it is that with more experience we realize how awful most depictions of teenage drama really are. Teenage drama is like a free-for-all for writers to use every cheap trick in the book.

TUSR

Banned
Still wrapping up last seasons shows because I suck at watching anime.

Just finished up Nanana. Really enjoyable show, honestly probably my favorite show from last season that I've gotten to finished so far. That ending though, what the fuck?.

I'm guessing theres no chance this show gets a S2? Dunno how those DVD sales went. God I hate it when shows refuse to wrap up a show up and instead do a teaser for a sequel that never happens. Aku no Hana really ruined a lot of what made it great with that last episode.

Too many characters for the length of S1. Who knows if it will get a S2, it ended in a montage.

I liked it actually and I do hope we get more with a 2 cour order.

Shergal

I don't think it's you (or I) getting old so much as it is that with more experience we realize how awful most depictions of teenage drama really are. Teenage drama is like a free-for-all for writers to use every cheap trick in the book.

More teenage romance anime should strive to be like Whisper of the Heart.

Clov

Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a while now. Can someone please recommend the best shows so far this year?

Of what's finished I'd recommend Ping-Pong. Of what's currently airing, or hasn't yet finished, I'd recommend Mushishi S2, Space Dandy, Barakamon, and Terror in Resonance.

Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a while now. Can someone please recommend the best shows so far this year?

Summer:
Nozaki-kun
Barakamon
Terror in Resonance
Space Dandy part 2
Aldnoah. Zero (this one is a maybe).

Spring:
Ping Pong
Chaika
No Game No Life (warning: there is lewd)

Winter:
Log Horizon part 2
Space Dandy part 1
Silver Spoon S2

I may be confusing or forgetting some shows I really loved, but I think is largely it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hadn't! It's certainly eye-catching and well directed. And I didn't know that Encouragement of Climb now has 15 minutes episodes. I remember watching a few episodes of the first season and not being especially grabbed by it, but not totally dismissive either. As I recall, people gave the show good marks when it was first airing. Is everyone still as receptive?
I think Encouragement of Climb and Hanayamata are trading places for my best show of the season. I legitimately look forward to each episode. I think Climb is probably intellectually better because it is much more subtle about the story, but Hanayamata is extremely upbeat.

(Tamayura is still the best, of course).

AnoNatsu resolved the romance by episode 4. Everything else was about why they couldn't stay together rather than whether or not they just get together.

if they have been killing the same country over and over again for 15 years why they haven't left the country and moved far away? These are relatively modern times, and unless they're kept under surveillance 24/7 so they can't escape there is no reason why the folks of the neighboring city wouldn't escape. They even acknowledge they don't have the firepower to win

My guess would be that
they actually were kept under surveillance 24/7 like you said. I mean think about it. Those people are literally the only reason why the two countries on friendly terms don't go to war with each other any more. If they noticed that they'd try to leave, surely they'd take action somehow.

cajunator

Banned
YOU ENJOYED HER TEARS

M3GEEU9.gif

I think I liked that the leads had really good chemistry and there was no "I love two boys/girls at once" drama. Plus they somewhat end up together not at the complete end

NO.
Kanna is best girl. She can cry on my shoulder.

joqRAZv.gif

Before I comment on my glaring issue with the episode, let me just say that the message of human nature and war was well done. I mean it has been done to death by other shows/books, but the execution was very well done. This episode also seems to have been written by a certain anime Batman, because the ideals of
the greater good regardless of the actions taken
were exactly his. The eerie vibe, the music, the dialogue, all was well done. The pathetic side of humanity, the cruelty. I get it.

In this case its pretty realistic. Human behavior is a strange thing but even in the midst of chaos a society will often prefer to stay in familiar territory rather than flee to the unknown. Countries deal with this even today. No matter how bad it gets there will be a few diehards who will stay behind and endure.
Kinos journey captured this behavior absolutsly correctly. Sometimes it comes down to resources. It costs money and time to relocate.

Thoraxes

YOU ENJOYED HER TEARS

M3GEEU9.gif

You son of bitch. (I mean this as a dog pun, not a mean phrase)

Nobody enjoys Kanna's sorrow and gets away with it!

Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods Dub

I did not see the Japanese version only heard the general complaints people had and general plot overview for the record.

I Loved Battle of Gods, thought it was a perfect love letter to fans of DB and DBZ. The comedy worked really well and the final battle was worthy of the epic action the series became famous for. The dub was excellent and you could tell the localization writers and the voice actors were having a ton of fun. My buddy who only knows of db/z though the video games I made him play with me (he never had cartoon network growing up) loved it even if some of the more meta/reference jokes lost some of their impact (he asked me about a few after the film)

So glad I went to see it, I really don't get at all what people didn't like about it. Maybe the jokes in the Japanese version weren't as funny/sub voice acting isn't as good.

I enjoyed her tears, because
she had a guy really into her right next to her the whole time but she kept clinging to hope that the guy who never looked twice at her would look her way, especially when he has giant boobs waifu

You're welcome to come at me though, it's gonna get straight up grizzly up in here.

pKi36ra.gif

cajunator

Banned

Hey BEAR did you get CCS? the discs are a bit difficult to extract but its such a cute set!

I enjoyed her tears, because
she had a guy really into her right next to her the whole time but she kept clinging to hope that the guy who never looked twice at her would look her way, especially when he has giant boobs waifu

You're welcome to come at me though, it's gonna get straight up grizzly up in here.

pKi36ra.gif

It reminds me of how in Millennium Actress
Genya would date Chiyoko instantly if she had only noticed him meanwhile she was chasing after someone impossible to catch

Thoraxes

Hey BEAR did you get CCS? the discs are a bit difficult to extract but its such a cute set!
It looks like my set had a delay on it or something, or they lost it. It only left Iowa today even though I had confirmation last Friday of it shipping.

It's on track now though.

jbug617

Banned
Rail Wars is the type of show that is ok because the
train is going to beat all the girls for the MC's attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom