• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Sengoku Basara Judge End 4

20z0YTNl.jpg

There's some of that dumb shit I've been missing. Honestly though, and I'm aware this is basically a divergent timeline, it was disappointing to see Yukimura flanderized as he was in the beginning of this ep as the secret best thing about S2 is his character arc and subsequent growth. There was a glimmer of that when he was tossed in the river and emerged as himself rather than Takeda though so here's hoping we get another good round of him growing up.

Sengoku Basara Judge End 5

Looks like Date might get some development too? Been a while since I watched the second season but I mostly recall him being the same guy throughout. He's a husk at the moment to put it lightly and increasingly desperate to change. It might have been the same then too but with him simply re-approaching his default self. We'll see how this goes.

Gundam-san 4-5

Clov

So I've finished watching Casshern Sins! It's been a while since I've watched something so depressing like that. I liked the show overall, since it has a great atmosphere and a cool mystery. The characters are pretty interesting too. While there were moments when the melodrama and angst were a bit much to take seriously (the scene where Casshern screams into the air accompanied by a flash of lightning was awfully silly, for instance), it never became unbearable.

However, I did feel that the show repeated itself a lot. How many times early on did we have to hear the enemy robots say "It's Casshern! If we eat him we'll gain eternal life!". Casshern himself seemed to love to remind the viewer that the Ruin was his fault.

I also feel the show would have been better if it had a bit more subtlety. For example, there's a scene where Dio sees Dune, and comments on how he's single-mindedly obsessed with the past, just like himself. Yet in the previous scene, we see how obsessed Dio is with Casshern. Was it really necessary to have the "just like myself" line when the audience can clearly draw the parallel on their own? Maybe I'm just being a bit nitpicky.

Still, I enjoyed it overall. I think I ought to watch something a bit happier next after seeing something so bleak. How does The Soultaker sound?

So I've finished watching Casshern Sins! It's been a while since I've watched something so depressing like that. I liked the show overall, since it has a great atmosphere and a cool mystery. The characters are pretty interesting too. While there were moments when the melodrama and angst were a bit much to take seriously (the scene where Casshern screams into the air accompanied by a flash of lightning was awfully silly, for instance), it never became unbearable.

However, I did feel that the show repeated itself a lot. How many times early on did we have to hear the enemy robots say "It's Casshern! If we eat him we'll gain eternal life!". Casshern himself seemed to love to remind the viewer that the Ruin was his fault.

I also feel the show would have been better if it had a bit more subtlety. For example, there's a scene where Dio sees Dune, and comments on how he's single-mindedly obsessed with the past, just like himself. Yet in the previous scene, we see how obsessed Dio is with Casshern. Was it really necessary to have the "just like myself" line when the audience can clearly draw the parallel on their own? Maybe I'm just being a bit nitpicky.

Still, I enjoyed it overall. I think I ought to watch something a bit happier next after seeing something so bleak. How does The Soultaker sound?
Nah.

Maybe having depression made me immune but I didn't find Casshern Sins to be that much of a downer. When people call it depressing I'm perplexed.

Clov

Nah.

Maybe having depression made me immune but I didn't find Casshern Sins to be that much of a downer. When people call it depressing I'm perplexed.

To me, what made it depressing was how desperate the enemies were. Many of them even thought that the idea of devouring Casshern was absurd, but they were willing to try anything at that point. While some of the robots were just assholes who wanted everyone to suffer with them, a lot of them just wanting to keep living in a world where their bodies constantly rusted away before their eyes. Also, while the series ends on a somewhat hopeful note, many of the individual episodic stories were very sad (Episode 9 actually made me tear up a bit).

It's not the saddest anime I've seen, but I felt sad throughout a lot of it. Maybe a part of that was the soundtrack. That was another good part of it, come to think of it.

Syrinx

Dirty Pair 18

They destroyed a hotel that didn't even have the guy they were looking for, and a police station by barreling a tractor trailer through it. Albeit a corrupt as fuck police station. But they probably killed several innocent people in the process. Oh well lol.

This was a pretty cool episode though.

Shergal

Waste the first half with a love triangle subplot that doesn't go anywhere and has no thematic significance?

"First half" is a cool way of referring to what amounts to three or four scenes which don't dampen the pacing nor the characterization in any real, significant way; but sure, if that's the only real flaw in a show I'd see it as a success.

"First half" is a cool way of referring to what amounts to three or four scenes which don't dampen the pacing nor the characterization in any real, significant way; but sure, if that's the only real flaw in a show I'd see it as a success.

I remember it being more than just four scenes. Regardless I still consider it a fairly weak romance story outside of the "inspire each other" message.
the triangle really did add nothing to the story, the characters in that amounted to nothing and it felt like padding, so when the movie switched focus and practically never really bothered with that angle again it felt weird.

Also the relationship of the leads was weird.
They went from tsundere towards each other to almost instantly friendly, then to attracted to each other. Then the guy leaves for a while, comes back and asks her for her hand in marriage when they had almost minimal amount of interaction or really ever dated.

If I had to watch romance in an anime film it wouldn't be this. I'd rather watch something from 5 centimeters per second guy, or Summer Wars even.

Shergal

I remember it being more than just four scenes. Regardless I still consider it a fairly weak romance story outside of the "inspire each other" message.
the triangle really did add nothing to the story, the characters in that amounted to nothing and it felt like padding, so when the movie switched focus and practically never really bothered with that angle again it felt weird.

Also the relationship of the leads was weird.
They went from tsundere towards each other to almost instantly friendly, then to attracted to each other. Then the guy leaves for a while, comes back and asks her for her hand in marriage when they had almost minimal amount of interaction or really ever dated.

If I had to watch romance in an anime film it wouldn't be this. I'd rather watch something from 5 centimeters per second guy, or Summer Wars even.

Well, it was kind of my point. These kind of stories generally fare better when the romance is a secondary topic, and approaching Whisper as a pure romance story would never go well.

As for the other considerations besides the love triangle stuff, I haven't watched the film in forever, so I can't dig up particularly specific counterpoints, but none of it bothered me at all. It felt at home with the film and never excessively sappy or melodramatic.

Hunter x Hunter 1-38

This is a fun show, and generally quite consistent. I don't think it's had a truly awesome arc yet (there have only been three and one was really short, so maybe this isn't fair to say yet), but it's had its moments here and there. Highlights are Zevil Island, the finale of the Hunter Exam, and the last fight of Heavens Arena. I really appreciate the show's more tactical approach to things.

I don't have too many complaints beyond the show going kind of heavy on the exposition in an unnatural way, but I can't say I can really think of a better method or that most of it ever feels unnecessary, more or less. There are a few issues with brevity here and there, though none of it's too significant. The music can feel repetitive without many standout tracks and some of it in the beginning of the series felt incredibly out-of-place. (I don't like that there's really only been one opening, either). The animation certainly has its moments, and unlike something by Pierrot it doesn't look like a completely different show when the budget shoots up, but it could be better at times; it does noticeably cheat with limited animation, and the overall look of the show is more serviceable than it is impressive.

I like the characters, even if Hisoka feels like the only truly good one at the moment; Killua and Kurapika are on their way, but the whole cast is pleasant enough. Story-telling is generally good, as it comes up with quite a few interesting situations to place the characters in. Not all of them are winners (Leorio gambling being one that isn't, and so is the cooking section of the Hunter Exam), but most are fine.

I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of Heavens Arena. It's not bad or anything, but it takes so long explaining Nen and I don't feel the resulting fights quite make up for that. I hear Yorknew City is supposed to be fantastic, so we'll see if that surpasses the first arc.

If I find one more similarity between this and Naruto I might fly to Japan so I can personally call Kishimoto a hack, though.

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 10

Aika and Alice act like Akari is this mysterious person, and it's funny cause she really isnt mysterious at all. She's just a very friendly and warm person who has a childlike yet very endearing view of Aqua and Neo-Venezia as this wonderful place filled with wonderful people. And it's not all that hard to understand why; she's only been in Neo-Venezia for a few years after growing up on Manhome, while Aika and Alice have spent their whole lives there. But it's also who she is. Just a very pleasant person to be around.

Quasar

Maybe its an effect of getting older, but stories that have a narrative focused on highschool romance being the most important and dramatic thing ever make me shiver. Just checking my malgraph, the last few highschool romances I legitimately enjoyed were Ano Natsu de Matteru, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Flowers of Evil. The foremost is a notable exception, but the latter two deviate from the typical formula in a big way. I wonder what I enjoyed about Ano Natsu?

I don't think its that, given I'm older, but the majority of my anime/manga seems to center around school romances. Of course its not like there are a shitton of anime romances with adults.

Interesting that you liked Natsu though...I assume you either disliked or didn't see Please Teacher which is fairly similar.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That shitty feeling when you realize that even Max Heart had more sakuga than Happiness Charge.

CorvoSol

KILL CASSHEW.

DEVOUR CASSHEW.

I AM THE DEVIL WHO IS THE GOD WHO KILLED THE SUN NAMED MOON BY THE STARS IN THE DEATH'S DARKNESS IS THE LIFE LIGHT OF THE UNIVERSE.

God I loved that show.

Great Teacher Onizuka - 3

Haha, all this talk about room 3-4 being the most problematic class in the school's history. Onizuka freaking dealt with a classroom full of gangsters in episode 1 and got them to love him in the span of a single day. I think he's got it under control. Should be interesting to see how the class got that reputation though considering how the kids in there acted.

Lol, this Vice Principal is going to be the punching bag of this show isn't he?

Jex

Better than space Romans. :(

Also, which order are you watching it in? Like LOGH, there is a strange order. The pilot movie should be watched first, but the prequel movie should be watched last!

I dunno man, you tell me the order! I have the complete set and it has far too many discs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno man, you tell me the order! I have the complete set and it has far too many discs.
The Gathering -> S1 to 5 -> The four movies (In The Beginning, Third Space, River of Souls, A Call to Arms) -> Crusade -> Legend of the Rangers (lol) -> The Lost Tales.

I guess if you only care about the core experience, you can stop at In The Beginning.

BluWacky

I think 'feels' has reached 'deconstruct' levels for me.

At least "deconstruct" comes about from a genuine misunderstanding of what the word is supposed to mean. I'm not sure whether in our endless debates we've actually come up with a better word for it ("realistic"? "unromanticised"?).

I assume "feels" is a way for people who aren't comfortable admitting to emotion to flippantly say that something is moving, which cheapens the reaction IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom