• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Continued catch-up:

Sailor Moon Crystal 2

I dunno. I suppose it's not aggressively bad, or anything like that, but it all feels rather pointless. As a remake all it really offers over the original is better sound quality and some brighter artwork; it's notable that Ami's henshin sequence is almost verbatim copied from the original show (perhaps this is down to the manga? I dunno). I would love to take this show on its own merits, but it makes it hard when it's so slavishly devoted to something I've seen before.

I miss the look of the Dark Kingdom. Beryl's hands eternally swirling over the crystal ball, the rows of faceless minions behind Jadeite etc. It was much more menacing than stockstonepalace.jpg.

It would be nice if they had made something special, rather than something competent. I can't even see how this is supposed to sell toys given its bizarre airing format. I wish I knew what was going on behind the scenes on this show.

Terror in Resonance 2

I really need to get up to date with this show so I don't know what's going to happen in advance; it's not very exciting otherwise despite the technical accomplishment of the whole show. With that said, probably my favourite bit was Twelve's Mentos trick!

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi 49
Now this is a bona-fide Yamauchi episode. It really feels entirely different to any other episode of the show, and this time it's done way more tightly and with better animation. I'd say it's one of the stand-out episodes of the season, for sure.

Ojamajo Doremi 50
That fucking photographer gal is way too sneaky.

Ojamajo Doremi 51 - END
Huh, it really feels like nobody in the staff was counting on the possibility of more Doremi being made after this, with such a conclusive and hermetic ending. It's a bit of a disconnect with the tone of the episode when I know they went on to make 3 more seasons, an OVA series and 2 movies LOL. Still though, the scenes with the fairies were ;___;

The cast coming to the realization that magic was never instrumental to their development as people and deepened friendship feels like the perfect thematic wrap-up to a show that always made sure to emphasize the human element over everything else. Major props for how consistent they were with this idea all throughout the season, tying it up neatly by the end. I know from reading impressions that the other seasons are just as good if not better, but as a stand-alone show this really wouldn't need any sort of sequel. So good :')

pariah164

Hey guys. How about some anime reccomendations?

RECENTLY FINISHED:

- Kill la Kill (amazing)
- GochiUsa (that cute little bunny cafe show)
- Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live (plush penguins and idols)
- Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2 (waiting for Godot the movie)

CURRENTLY WATCHING:

- Sailor Moon Crystal (know it has flaws, but I don't care)
- PriPara (part idols, part mahou shoujo (kinda)? It's weird but I like it)
- Petit Petit Puchimasu!! (IdolM@ster on crack)
- Rail Wars! (trains are suddenly a thing again, with this and ToQger on air)

I tried No Game No Life and didn't like it much... Anything else out right now that makes for a good watch?

Before I watch the final episode of kino tonight I gotta mention this... it's good but I don't know if I'd consider it top anime material. It seems like it would work better as a novel over something in tv.

If any of you guys did the Time of Eve Kickstarter, the new update says they should be shipping next month the sets.

Just read the email update. Packaging is nice, but would have liked the pink BD case. Can't wait to watch the movie and store it next to the OVA collection!

RECENTLY FINISHED:

- Kill la Kill (amazing)

CURRENTLY WATCHING:

I see you liked Kill la Kill. Did you watch Gurren Lagann? Because you should totally watch Gurren Lagann.

Before I watch the final episode of kino tonight I gotta mention this... it's good but I don't know if I'd consider it top anime material. It seems like it would work better as a novel over something in tv.

Well, seeing as Kino WAS a light novel I can understand how you'd think that.

I think it still qualifies as top anime material because of the whole presentation of it all. The show does a great job with the questions it asks and it absolutely nails the atmosphere in certain parts. One of those shows that really makes you sit down and think about things.

cajunator

Banned
HIDEF HANYAN~
O2MYrUZ.jpg

Clov

Just read the email update. Packaging is nice, but would have liked the pink BD case. Can't wait to watch the movie and store it next to the OVA collection!

Is there anywhere you can still get the OVA collection? Also, how is the movie compared to the original OVAs?

cajunator

Banned

Rhapsody

Banned
I watched the first few episodes of GL... Didn't really hold my interest for some reason.

I'd push on through. The first half is slow, and you'll appreciate it more after completing it.
2nd half is pretty much cliffhanger after cliffhanger (for better or worse)

Mokoi

Banned
I love how anime the NFL thread is getting.
Everybody hates it though.

Would posting that I'm a cowboys fan, and that they will finally make a comeback get me negative points?

RECENTLY FINISHED:

- Kill la Kill (amazing)

CURRENTLY WATCHING:

I tried No Game No Life and didn't like it much... Anything else out right now that makes for a good watch?

I recommend Ping pong the animation if you haven't seen it. It's really good, and available to watch on youtube. (480p only)

For this season I recommend Nozaki-kun, Terror in tokyo, and Barakamon. Also Sabagebu! too. Watch ping pong first though!

cajunator

Banned
Would posting that I'm a cowboys fan, and that they will finally make a comeback get me negative points?

I recommend Ping pong the animation if you haven't seen it. It's really good, and available to watch on youtube. (480p only)

For this season I recommend Nozaki-kun, Terror in tokyo, and Barakamon. Also Sabagebu! too.

They will just think its cute at this point.

Is there anywhere you can still get the OVA collection? Also, how is the movie compared to the original OVAs?

The OVA, or actually the ONA, release for the US audience is now OOP. You can find some copies online, but at outrageous prices. This was the original version of Time of EVE that had 6 episodes. I have no idea if there was an actual disc release for the ONAs in Japan, but if there was I could not find it or I am misunderstanding what theatrical release means.

From what I understand, the movie contains most if not all of the scenes from the ONAs and adds more content to them to connect the episodes together. For those people who did not back the Kickstarter, it was stated the movie BD would be available to purchase at a later date. There's also the Japanese re-release, but that doesn't appear to have English subtitles nor will it contain the new English dub.

Clov

The OVA, or actually the ONA, release for the US audience is now OOP. You can find some copies online, but at outrageous prices. This was the original version of Time of EVE that had 6 episodes. I have no idea if there was an actual disc release for the ONAs in Japan, but if there was I could not find it or I am misunderstanding what theatrical release means.

From what I understand, the movie contains most if not all of the scenes from the ONAs and adds more content to them to connect the episodes together. For those people who did not back the Kickstarter, it was stated the movie BD would be available to purchase at a later date. There's also the Japanese re-release, but that doesn't appear to have English subtitles nor will it contain the new English dub.

I think I'll look into the movie at a later time, then.

I think I'll look into the movie at a later time, then.

I look forward to actually owning the release. The original goal was for October 2013, but that certainly got pushed back with the English dub, movie OST, and other things. Totally worth the wait though.

Yep that was the ONA set, and is now OOP after last year's holiday sale from Right Stuf. Movie is yet to come.

cajunator

Banned

I have blurays of time of Eve
This set, whatever version this is.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/700wfSP0paTpSqBVtQ/browse/item/98111/4/0/0

Rumbling Hearts 05

How long was he dating Haruka that he would become that broken? It seemed like they were only seeing each other for <1 month before the accident.

The way Mitsuki cheers him up... Okay...

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

I'm about to start watching Ergo Proxy (some friends told me it was good) and I'd like to know if the dub is any good? I watch so much anime with subs these days that I'm kinda burnt out on reading. Though I'll deal with it if a dub is trash.

Thanks!

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

I'm about to start watching Ergo Proxy (some friends told me it was good) and I'd like to know if the dub is any good? I watch so much anime with subs these days that I'm kinda burnt out on reading. Though I'll deal with it if a dub is trash.

Thanks!

Loved Ergo Proxy. The dub's VA is okay and it's got War from Darksider's as the MC. I think watching it in English is the right way to go as it fits into the world a lot more than the Japanese voices do.

Jex

The Gathering -> S1 to 5 -> The four movies (In The Beginning, Third Space, River of Souls, A Call to Arms) -> Crusade -> Legend of the Rangers (lol) -> The Lost Tales.

I guess if you only care about the core experience, you can stop at In The Beginning.

This is one option.

7ac33410-5393-4825-9965-7a7d52e549bb.png

I would not watch Legend of the Rangers though. And I say that as a huge fan of B5 generally.

Wow this looks really complicated.

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 05

I thought it was a hot springs episode at first, but it was just Luvia's place, which has a bath so big it may as well be a hot spring. Two walls were destroyed in the process, and I'm not talking purely physical ones either. That battle brewing between Miyu and Kuroe at the end has me pretty excited for next week. It's been a while since Saber!Miyu has been seen, and the preview shows Iri coming home once more, too. Now that I see her in the context of both the previous season and this one, this world is clearly a much better life for her. Much, much better. Seeing Rin get all flustered around Shiro is also a decent way to transition into UBW this fall.

Jex

Revolutionary Girl Utena

The Visuals

Now, I don't have the actual numbers for what this show's budget was, but I've always been lead to believe it wasn't very much, given the sheer amount of stock footage the anime makes use of. That said, it's impressive just how beautiful this show manages to be in spite of that. Especially, the backdrops.

I don't mean to sound like one of those people who hates on modern anime, because I'm not and because I haven't the experience necessary to make qualified statements of the sort, but lately I've developed a great deal of fondness of the large backdrop pieces like these in older anime. Whether that's because I've been watching a lot of older anime or not, I can't say, but what I can is that Utena manages some truly impressive scenery for a show that apparently was made on a wish and a prayer. At times, I just really enjoyed watching the scenery and losing myself in it. There's a sequence late in the anime wherein Akio and Utena go for a drive in the sunset that I find truly breathtaking.
The thing about background art is that it's static. It can be made by a small group of people so it's far cheaper to produce than actual character animation. The main person to praise here is the art director, Shichiro Kobayashi, who was born in 1932 and has been working in anime since the 60's.

Rumbling Hearts 06

Akane turned from best imouto ever to bitch real fast. How can Haruka not tell everyone is three years older? It's not like you look the same 18 to 21.
Because reasons. This is like those parents in Frozen levels of incompetent parenting. Just fucking stupid decision for the sake of drama.

zulux21

Rumbling Hearts 06

Akane turned from best imouto ever to bitch real fast. How can Haruka not tell everyone is three years older? It's not like you look the same 18 to 21.
Because her heart.... is rumbling..... I'm gonna shut up in regards to this because that was dumb >.>;
According to animeGAF:
Nozaki-kun
Barakamon
Terror in Tokyo

I can agree with this list. Aldnoah would have been on the list as well but then episode 5 happened :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom