• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the first episode of Ergo Proxy. Pretty interesting. Not completely sure what's going on yet, but I like it. It sure does look pretty too.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Strike that, I have serious questions regarding AnimeGAF's taste after seeing some replies in this last page.

This one here is what bothers me the most:

The only list this belongs on is burn in hell and never be spoken of again. #1 is also questionable but I can see how some people like that. I personally dropped it after 4 episodes.

EDIT: Angel Beats at #7? Was 2010 a particularly bad year or was it just a year of bad taste?

1st season oreimo is okay, then 2nd season happen. But damn, eve no jikan, soremachi, and rainbow not reaching at least in top ten?

smh

Just watched the first episode of Ergo Proxy. Pretty interesting. Not completely sure what's going on yet, but I like it. It sure does look pretty too.
Best advice I can give you is that you better like experimental anime because while it starts as a very strong noir Sci fi it turns into Franz Kafka.

So yeah once you get to a certain point you'll know if you keep watching. It's a very obvious point.

It's very polarizing. You don't really know what it's trying to get at until around ep 11
Ah,ok. Looks like I'm in it for the lung haul.

And towards the end you'll find yourself wishing they'd already stop with the experimenting :(
By experiment, do you mean they keep throwing out plot twists?

Edit:
Best advice I can give you is that you better like experimental anime because while it starts as a very strong noir Sci fi it turns into Franz Kafka.

So yeah once you get to a certain point you'll know if you keep watching. It's a very obvious point.
Oh, well then, sound interesting. And yeah, I like experimental stuff. Honestly, I like almost everything when it comes to anime.

Gazoinks

Guh, Ergo Proxy. I should really finish that series sometime. Loved the first half, but I got bored enough in the early episodes of the second half that I stopped watching it. >.>

There was nothing in GAF history worse than Panty and Stocking winning aoty.

Over Tatami Galaxy! Tatami! Galaxy!

Ah,ok. Looks like I'm in it for the lung haul.

By experiment, do you mean they keep throwing out plot twists?

Rather the weird episodes that maybe fine every once in a while but really annoyed me because I really enjoyed the main storyline and the characters until all that started. So I just wanted to kinda continue normally. Instead they keep experimenting with entire episodes.

And there just isn't a good pay-off in the end. Because of the second half I'm pretty sure you can call this show rather pretentious.

Huh. Well then, off to marathon Ergo Proxy.

I did, also, finally finish Psycho Pass recently, and it was really great. Can't wait for the second season.

Ojamajo Doremi 49
Now this is a bona-fide Yamauchi episode. It really feels entirely different to any other episode of the show, and this time it's done way more tightly and with better animation. I'd say it's one of the stand-out episodes of the season, for sure.

Ojamajo Doremi 50
That fucking photographer gal is way too sneaky.

Ojamajo Doremi 51 - END
Huh, it really feels like nobody in the staff was counting on the possibility of more Doremi being made after this, with such a conclusive and hermetic ending. It's a bit of a disconnect with the tone of the episode when I know they went on to make 3 more seasons, an OVA series and 2 movies LOL. Still though, the scenes with the fairies were ;___;

The cast coming to the realization that magic was never instrumental to their development as people and deepened friendship feels like the perfect thematic wrap-up to a show that always made sure to emphasize the human element over everything else. Major props for how consistent they were with this idea all throughout the season, tying it up neatly by the end. I know from reading impressions that the other seasons are just as good if not better, but as a stand-alone show this really wouldn't need any sort of sequel. So good :')

And six Light Novels, and what I read of the first one things are pretty good I need to go back to it.

But without sequels you wouldn't have the three episodes 40 of the next seasons, all of them are really good...but it really looks like there wouldn't be any sequels with the ending of the first season.

You did a good job and you still have a lot more to enjoy. :)
YYurAvT.jpg

Love Lab 10
Several side stories sown together. Eno's brother is terrible but hilarious. Sayo's boyfriend's flashback was good. Suzu was adorable as a child. Suzu is still fairly cute in the last segment.

Clov

It's something of a mess plot-wise. Great individual episodes and moments but it doesn't come together into a cohesive narrative.

That's how I feel about it too. I really enjoyed watching it, but the plot ended up going way over my head because of how messy it was. I'm still not entirely sure about everything that happened in it. Still, I'm looking forward to whatever Ikuhara's directing next.

Gazoinks

That's how I feel about it too. I really enjoyed watching it, but the plot ended up going way over my head because of how messy it was. I'm still not entirely sure about everything that happened in it. Still, I'm looking forward to whatever Ikuhara's directing next.

LESBIAN BEAR STORM.

Best title ever.

So I've been dabbling into Attack on Titan again and have to say, I do still love it quite a bit.

It would however be great if it wasn't so melodramatic in scenes that would've added much more if they were staged more low-key and it needs to be tightened up some. Of course there's the overall pacing lull from like episode 10-14 or so, but the action scenes, which are fricking great imo, shouldn't be interrupted by everyone monologuing here and there. Some introspection is fine and all but don't kill the pacing of the action sequences with it.

I think AoT would really benefit from being 18-20 episodes long rather than 25.

Season 2 of it is still the thing I'm looking forward to most and I'm currently on a media blackout concerning it. Have stopped reading the manga early this year because I enjoy the anime so much more (except the changes for the last bunch of episodes!!!) and would rather like the story fresh for that. So no one mention anything about the manga and how it's doing currently!.

I mean know they surely got a much better budget and should be able to schedule better, too. But oh well, sometime in 2015!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Again!!
5Yy2aARl.jpg

Insert joke about how this is metatextual because the jdrama looks like a poor adaptation of the manga. Although I think it being 25 minutes makes it at least watchable if one were so inclined (since an anime is never going to happen now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom