• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei! - 05

Bathhouse episode. Hohoho. Also finally another good fight to look forward to is coming up. My money is on Kuro. Not to mention that manservice shot at the end.

Necrovex

CorvoSol

"G Gundam is too serious and not enough dumb fun like Gurren Lagann."

rNHIKKH.gif

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 2wei 05

A relatively serious outing this time around...and when I can say that about an episode where the first half is mostly bathhouse antics, it says a lot about the kind of show this is. Kuro and Miyu discuss the possibility of being rejected by Illya, and Miyu remains fanatically devoted to her girl, like all good Homuhomu clones.

Gag of the week: Everything with Shiro and Auguste. Especially that end card.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Are we talking 20th Century Boys level of insanity here?

deeper than that. Waaaay deeper,,,,
but do check it out, it's still entertaining

Again!!
http://i.imgur.com/5Yy2aARl.jpg[IMG]
Insert joke about how this is metatextual because the jdrama looks like a poor adaptation of the manga. Although I think it being 25 minutes makes it at least watchable if one were so inclined (since an anime is never going to happen now).[/QUOTE]

i hope someone adapt one of her work to anime.
I need it!

Branduil

Strike that, I have serious questions regarding AnimeGAF's taste after seeing some replies in this last page.

This one here is what bothers me the most:

The only list this belongs on is burn in hell and never be spoken of again. #1 is also questionable but I can see how some people like that. I personally dropped it after 4 episodes.

EDIT: Angel Beats at #7? Was 2010 a particularly bad year or was it just a year of bad taste?

AnimeGAF wasn't the force it is now in 2010. But yes that list is indescribably awful and wrong.

Thoraxes

Some of the Penguindrum responses in here make me glad I understand Ikuhara's brand of storytelling.

I eat that shit up so hard and can't get enough.

Kino's Journey 13: A Kind Land
MCAg2Gu.gif

It came back full circle. Well if nothing else it's a fantastic way to end the series. A sad story about redemption when facing an inevitable end.

But it was ruined partially because at the end
the song Pompeii
kept going in my head lol. Mainstream music that plays in trailers you've ruined me.

I'll write series thoughts later today. Overall a very solid series.

Jex

[Doremi Sharp] - 14

I'm actually still watching Doremi.

This episode as considerably better than the last, probably because it focused on Pop and Pop related antics which are generally pretty entertaining.

Knights of Sidonia 11 & 12

Not too terrible, if you can keep your suspension of disbelief intact.

Overall, I can't recommend anyone waste their time with this series. It tries to be so many things and doesn't do any of them in a satisfying manner. You want good mecha action? Look elsewhere. You want "good" harem antics? Look elsewhere. Compelling character drama? A well developed science fiction setting? You get the point by now. Calling this junk food in serialized fiction form would be a disservice to junk food. Unfortunately, judging by disc sales in Japan and online reviews it has found an audience.

PK Gaming

Log Horizon 1

(The boys are back in town)

That was a pretty good introduction. Log Horizon (for now) seems to be content with jumping straight to point. It knows its audience wants to see cool MMO stuff right away, so it won't waste time by having its protagonists meander/come to terms with their situation. Because screw that, there's adventurin that needs to be done! Speaking of protagonists, check this out; we got a caster MC! I've got a huge penchant for magic users, so i'm pretty psyched that the MC specializes in that, instead of being a typical sword user (means he'll probably get to use a bunch of awesome spells!)

So yeah, I think i'm going to enjoy Log Horizon overall.

cajunator

Banned
You're all forgetting to mention that Penguindrum also had a fucking amazing soundtrack.

Oh god yes. Especially that wacky transformation theme.

Some of the Penguindrum responses in here make me glad I understand Ikuhara's brand of storytelling.

I eat that shit up so hard and can't get enough.

her BEAR I hope you get your blurays soon buddy. I think its shit you havent gotten them yet. Be aware that the case design is definitely bad and they have those really difficult spindles to take the discs off of. Its bluray so if any of them came out during shipping they wont get scratched so no worries there!

Kino's Journey 13: A Kind Land
MCAg2Gu.gif

It came back full circle. Well if nothing else it's a fantastic way to end the series. A sad story about redemption when facing an inevitable end.

But it was ruined partially because at the end
the song Pompeii
kept going in my head lol. Mainstream music that plays in trailers you've ruined me.

I'll write series thoughts later today. Overall a very solid series.

I think it was the most fitting end for the series. It kind of
catches you off guard because right up till the end it just looks like any other episode and then it punches you in the gut. But then you find out that Kino has ever since been travelling to spread the story of that land to others so they are not forgotten. It is an absolutely beautiful ending. Also the only time you see Kino with a real strong outward emotion. Kino truly cared about those people and wanted to stay longer. That ties into when she mentioned that she only wanted to stay in one country for more than three days.
Truly a memorable and special series. I will love it forever and ever.
Also,
pompeii am gotterdammerung by Flaming Lips
is a fitting song.

It's something of a mess plot-wise. Great individual episodes and moments but it doesn't come together into a cohesive narrative.

It's sad to see Penguindrum qualified as a mess. On the contrary, it's brillant if you take some time to do some independant research. At the very least, you must read Murakami's Underground, some Kenji Miyazawa works (maybe more particulary Ginga tetsudô no yoru) and that old Anno/Ikuhara interview. The anime use some elements of recent Japanese history to make its point.

Knights of Sidonia 11 & 12

Not too terrible, if you can keep your suspension of disbelief intact.

Overall, I can't recommend anyone waste their time with this series. It tries to be so many things and doesn't do any of them in a satisfying manner. You want good mecha action? Look elsewhere. You want "good" harem antics? Look elsewhere. Compelling character drama? A well developed science fiction setting? You get the point by now. Calling this junk food in serialized fiction form would be a disservice to junk food. Unfortunately, judging by disc sales in Japan and online reviews it has found an audience.

While I agree with pretty much all of your points, I think the action is decent and the plot/setting are at least...ok. It's not something I'd recommend (whether I'd deter people probably depends on the person), but it is incredibly middle-of-the-road. "Watchable" is probably the word I'm looking for, and the show never so much as places a toe beyond that line. Personally I'd give it about a 6, and only because I typically reserve 5 for stuff that truly bores me or pisses me off.

I will say I think it has some of the most bland characters I've ever seen in a work of fiction, though.

Phatmac

...So does Captain Earth get better? After 3 episodes it seems like a really generic show. It's too bad cause I love the name of the show and mecha shows but man I really don't care about anything in that show.

Mature

Attempting to play FFXIV and watch all the anime I want is proving to be an impossible task. Not to mention work. Sometimes I wish public perception was true and all anime after the 90's was shit. That way, I'd at least be able to keep up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We should all agree to spend the next two months exclusively watching shows from 2010 that we haven't seen in preparation for a 2010 AotY revote.

VRMN

...So does Captain Earth get better? After 3 episodes it seems like a really generic show. It's too bad cause I love the name of the show and mecha shows but man I really don't care about anything in that show.
It does get better, but it is a bit of a slow burn. I like it, at least.

I dropped it like a sack of potatoes around 9-10ish. Its ok if you like highly predictable monster of the week styles fights I guess.

If music was enough to make a show win AOTY, then Noragami is already the winner.

aka I hope people are kidding when they say "it was an ok show but dat music doe"

Midonin

Ikkitousen 07-10

So two episodes wrapping up the tournament, followed by a hot springs episode and a beach episode. Also, Ryofu's lesbian tendencies are okay... ish when she's with someone who treats with care, but what she did early in the series is still going too far. There's a lot of leering in this series in general, and even as the numbers of female fighters increase, so do the amount of minor nameless dudes. I do like the running subplot of fighting against one's destiny that's appearing, though, which is why the latter two episodes are the ones I liked slightly better. I don't know if it's a conscious or unconscious motive on the part of the fighters, but it is clear that there are people who are trying to actively rebel against it.

It's sad to see Penguindrum qualified as a mess. On the contrary, it's brillant if you take some time to do some independant research. At the very least, you must read Murakami's Underground, some Kenji Miyazawa works (maybe more particulary Ginga tetsudô no yoru) and that old Anno/Ikuhara interview. The anime use some elements of recent Japanese history to make its point.

1) Ideally I think a work of fiction shouldn't require outside reading to be comprehensible. While there may be situations where your appreciation for something can be enriched by having historical and literary context, it should be able to stand on its own internal narrative logic to be counted as a great work.

2) I am aware of the sarin gas attack that Penguindrum references, but I don't think those references excuse the unbalanced and haphazard structure, the inconsistent character development, the dangling plot threads, etc.

VRMN

I guess I'll keep watching it when it turns into that. It really is a slow burn.
It's not just that either, but it does basically turn into that structure for much of the first half of the series. It's only in its second cour that it's started to grow beyond monster of the week/decent mecha fights. I'm glad I stuck with it, but it's hard to hold dropping it against people.

That said, Akari kind of held the show together for me through that first half. Then the writers remembered Hana existed and the show got significantly better.

Midonin

I've never had a problem with monster of the week type shows. I'm so used to seeing it as normal that, while I can understand why people may not be fond of it, it barely registers for me. Monsters of the Week don't prevent a show from having an overarching plot nor from having other elements that can be standout, like enjoyable characters or some sort of theme. It's just a mode of storytelling, as much as other patterns like an anthology or one interlaced with lots of flashbacks.

jgminto

Free! Eternal Summer 6
Lots of cute moments this episode. The flashback of Mako and Haru was so adorable.
Mako racing Haru was pretty sad though. And him feeling jealous of Rin. He should probably just confess his feelings to Haru, I mean at this point it's about the most obvious thing ever.
Also I can't believe that didn't show Rei's race! It was his first big moment since he was left out last year. I guess he'll still race in the relay though.

Taruranto

PS was funny for a couple of hours but got pretty boring after that.

However it deserves AOTY.....I mean dat OST.

This guy

Also didn't like how it the brother's had questionable scenes with their "sister" but overall it was a good anime.

pls remove the Narutto avatar if you are going to hate on Penguindrum best boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom