• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the recs! I've already seen or tried to watch most of those, but I'll put Yamato 2199 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes on my list! I've been kinda curious about the Space Battleship Yamato/Captain Harlock stuff for a while but was never sure where to start. And yeah, I know scifi stuff isn't always about action stuff, I actually really like the stuff based around drama with a scifi backdrop like No. 6 and Crest of the Stars series.

I'm also debating between watching the Steins Gate anime or getting the VN when the official translation is released.

I'd be more interested in fantasy stuff but aside from the Berserker manga and very few shows, I've never really gotten into fantasy stuff. I enjoyed the Record of Lodoss War animes when I watched them, but I was a lot younger then. I really liked Attack on Titan and can't wait for the next season. And it seems like I'm one of the few that really liked the original Last Exile anime (not sure if that's considered fantasy or steampunk or both). I also liked Log Horizon but don't know if that's considered Scifi or Fantasy. I watched the first half of Sword Art Online, which was a pretty similar show, thought it was okay, and then bailed out when the first story arc finishes. Aside from that most of the fantasy stuff I've tried to watch hasn't really grabbed me. But I don't really know many shows in the genre, so feel free to recommend something you think I'll enjoy!

Thanks again for the recs!

Definitely watch Yamato 2199 and Steins;Gate, two of the best sci-fi anime there are. Heck many would argue they're just straight up great sci-fi shows period.

As to Steins;Gate it's one of the few shows it's agreed by fans that the anime is just as good as the VN.

Fair warning if you decide to watch it: don't be discouraged by the fairly slice-of-life first half-ish of the series. This is meant to introduce the characters and make you care about them and their story. The second half of Steins;Gate though is absolutely brilliant.

edit: also you guys just reminded me I need to keep watching Patlabor as well. So that's Patlabor and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Guess I still haven't seen two of the best sci-fis anime has to offer. As a sci-fi fan I guess I must commit sudoku.

OceanBlue

There aren't a lot of problems with season one's adaptation, but they did cut out some things to make it stand alone more. The biggest change remains a spoiler for future season two events, but I'll put it this way. As a manga reader, I read Miyu's anger in season one towards Illya as /feigned/ anger because in the manga version, it was more of a "I understand. We'll deal with it by ourselves. I'll protect you." (If I remember correctly, Miyu's blowup after the Assassin fight wasn't in the manga at all.)

This was kept to a degree, which left me a bit blind to anime-only viewers' take on the whole thing, where it was an external conflict as opposed to an internal one. This wasn't helped by the altered (for the same reasons) conversation between Illya and Iri, which was changed into much more of a "friends are important" thing than it was in the original, again, to let them end it in season one if need be. Interestingly, 2wei is leaving its foreshadowing of 3rei entirely intact, which is very interesting to me (someone hoping 3rei gets adapted as well).

TL;DR: The first manga series had a lot of foreshadowing of 2wei in it. The first anime took much of it out. This altered Miyu's motivations a small bit, leading to the seemingly repetitive nature of the whole "my wish to be normal again is hurting my friends" thing.

Also Kuro is overreacting to a pretty standard reluctant hero desire even absent this, but that's a matter for later.

Ah, okay. Season 2 makes a lot more sense to me now as someone who watched the first season and read the manga for 2wei. It also makes Miyu's character arc from the first season to 3rei more straightforward too now that I think about it lol.

From the New World was excellent. Not sure if I'd call it a sci-fi series, though. Still, it's absolutely worth a watch. Very captivating stuff! It felt like I was watching Wolf's Rain again.

I actually saw this on Crunchyroll the other day when I browsing for something to watch, and just dismissed it from the description as being a Harry Potter anime. But I really liked Wolf's Rain a lot, so I'll put it in my queue now! I haven't watched watched Wolf's Rain since around the time it came out, but if I remember my only problem with the show was that it recreated the one scene where they're running on a pipe and the pipe breaks about 7 times throughout the show haha. But I really loved the premise and execution of the show, I'll check From the New World out!

Just going off mecha and sci-fi:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Ghost in the Shell (Movies or Stand Alone Complex)
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Macross Plus
Mobile Police Patlabor (Movies or TV series)
Gunbuster
Serial Experiments Lain
From the New World
Space Battleship Yamato 2199

And you've said you've exhausted most of the Gundam series but have you watched Gundam Build Fighters?

Ah, I've been meaning to watch Escaflowne for years now! I'll add that to my list! I'm also adding Gunbuster and Royal Space Force, the other stuff I've seen already :). And yeah, Gundam Build Fighters isn't something I'd usually enjoy, but I loved it because of the gundam setting. Hope it gets another season! Thanks for the recommendations!

So far I've got:

Yamato 2199
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
The Vision of Escaflowne
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Gunbuster
From the New World
Gargantia

Most of this stuff I've never heard of so I'm pretty excited, thanks so much for all the recommendations!

Thoraxes

Thoraxes disappoints me by not quoting the LESBIAN BEAR STORM comment so I could picture quote him. What's even the point of living.
I'll do better next time!
her BEAR I hope you get your blurays soon buddy. I think its shit you havent gotten them yet. Be aware that the case design is definitely bad and they have those really difficult spindles to take the discs off of. Its bluray so if any of them came out during shipping they wont get scratched so no worries there!
I think tomorrow.
Just finished Anohana and man that ending. :(
Someone help me out here, I'm at work!

Clov

I actually saw this on Crunchyroll the other day when I browsing for something to watch, and just dismissed it from the description as being a Harry Potter anime. But I really liked Wolf's Rain a lot, so I'll put it in my queue now! I haven't watched watched Wolf's Rain since around the time it came out, but if I remember my only problem with the show was that it recreated the one scene where they're running on a pipe and the pipe breaks about 7 times throughout the show haha. But I really loved the premise and execution of the show, I'll check From the New World out!

Make sure to stick with it! It might not seem like it at first, but as you watch you might see why I compared the tone to Wolf's Rain. I hope you enjoy it!

Looks like Sentai added K-On to Hulu about three weeks ago:
http://www.hulu.com/k-on

It still got the "Love Me Tender" replacement song in the first episode.

I always thought that was only for the English dub track. Must have misunderstood the information when I last read about this when going over the Bandai release.

Took a break from Ergo and decided to finally watch Golden Boy.

Edit: Is the manga worth a read?

Please say you watched the English dub. Definitely one series where the English dub stands out.

I have no idea what the manga is like, but it would be nice to see more anime adapted.

Gazoinks

Please say you watched the English dub. Definitely one series where the English dub stands out.

I have no idea what the manga is like, but it would be nice to see more anime adapted.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Golden Boy manga goes off the deep end at some point and starts involving cults and stuff.

Clov

I always thought that was only for the English dub track. Must have misunderstood the information when I last read about this when going over the Bandai release.

I'm pretty sure it was present in the JP track on the Bandai BDs, too. I think it was anyway; I never watched the dub on my set.

Check Toward the Terra and Fantastic Children. Also Shinsekai Yori.

I've never heard of Toward the Terra or Fantastic Children, but both look right up my alley! So many people have recommended From the New World that's probably gonna be the first thing I watch. Thanks!

Definitely watch Yamato 2199 and Steins;Gate, two of the best sci-fi anime there are. Heck many would argue they're just straight up great sci-fi shows period.

As to Steins;Gate it's one of the few shows it's agreed by fans that the anime is just as good as the VN.

Fair warning if you decide to watch it: don't be discouraged by the fairly slice-of-life first half-ish of the series. This is meant to introduce the characters and make you care about them and their story. The second half of Steins;Gate though is absolutely brilliant.

That's a pretty strong recommendation! I'll definitely be checking out those two. And I know a little bit about the beginning of Steins;Gate, I went through a brief VN phase and the Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head fan translations were two of the ones that I started to play before I completely burned out on VNs. But really liked what I played of Steins;Gate! I think I'll watch the anime and if I want more of it I'll get the official english release of the VN. Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure it was present in the JP track on the Bandai BDs, too. I think it was anyway; I never watched the dub on my set.

Now that the second season Japanese BD-box has been announced, I think I might try to save up to get that and the first season BD-box (assuming the latter doesn't go OOP by then). They both have English subs after all.

No, I watched it with subs. But I'm currently watching the first episode in English because of your post, and holy shit, this dub is something else.

sonicmj1

Sure. Seeing how it's a classic I suppose I should be expecting standard mecha stuff? Such as lead being a badass, high school students being central to the war? I'll find out I guess.

Gunbuster starts as a mecha parody of Dezaki's classic high school tennis anime Aim for the Ace, and ends as a profound tribute to mankind's potential. It's an unbelievable ride, particularly in the final three episodes.

cajunator

Banned
Anything to get me out of Mike watchbet slump.

Ill see what I can think of

I think you guys like to watch me suffer.

Nah. Garzey is a treat.

I've been reading through the Planetes manga off and on actually! I went through a phase where I burned through a bunch of manga really quickly and I've burned out a bit on reading manga atm, but I definitely like Planetes a lot so far! Thanks!

Thanks for the recs! I've already seen or tried to watch most of those, but I'll put Yamato 2199 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes on my list! I've been kinda curious about the Space Battleship Yamato/Captain Harlock stuff for a while but was never sure where to start. And yeah, I know scifi stuff isn't always about action stuff, I actually really like the stuff based around drama with a scifi backdrop like No. 6 and Crest of the Stars series.

I'm also debating between watching the Steins Gate anime or getting the VN when the official translation is released.

I'd be more interested in fantasy stuff but aside from the Berserker manga and very few shows, I've never really gotten into fantasy stuff. I enjoyed the Record of Lodoss War animes when I watched them, but I was a lot younger then. I really liked Attack on Titan and can't wait for the next season. And it seems like I'm one of the few that really liked the original Last Exile anime (not sure if that's considered fantasy or steampunk or both). I also liked Log Horizon but don't know if that's considered Scifi or Fantasy. I watched the first half of Sword Art Online, which was a pretty similar show, thought it was okay, and then bailed out when the first story arc finishes. Aside from that most of the fantasy stuff I've tried to watch hasn't really grabbed me. But I don't really know many shows in the genre, so feel free to recommend something you think I'll enjoy!

Thanks again for the recs!

Planetes anime is quite good. Its a realistic hard sci fi story with some unexpected twists in it. Awesome stuff.

From the New World was excellent. Not sure if I'd call it a sci-fi series, though. Still, it's absolutely worth a watch. Very captivating stuff! It felt like I was watching Wolf's Rain again.

Its very sci fi, but not space sci fi. It uses scientific principles as an important part of the story to explain human behaviors and such, but its definitely not the mechanical futuristic space sci fi he is otherwise looking for.

Took a break from Ergo and decided to finally watch Golden Boy.

What an awesome, awesome, funny show. The main character is a straight up boss. Though his obsession with recently-sat-on-by-women toilets is a bit insane. This show kinda reminds me of Space Dandy, in that the main character is doing something/going somewhere different every episode. I know it's a weird comparison to make, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

I really, really wish there were more episodes. The show deserved it. Maybe one day someone will bring it back? Please?

Edit: Is the manga worth a read?

You have just witnessed a legend!

Link Man

Banned
Clannad After Story 6

So, I might be getting ahead of myself here, but
I think that the cat might be this boy in the flashback. Same hair and eye color, and the last thing we focused on before the flashback began was the cat. Plus, up to now we've viewed events through the lens of Okazaki, so just who is telling/showing him this story right now?

Wow, this kid has more guts than pretty much all other anime romantic protags. Coming out with his feelings just like that.

Huh, if Okazaki were around back then, I'm sure he'd try to set Sunohara up with this kid.

Fake
:SDBurton

Well, at least his shoes tell us that this is the 80s.

Shima can't remember where his house is?
Getting flashbacks of Hachikuji...

Fuck.

And a
double-fakeout.
Fuck.

Wait, was that an elderly Dango mask?

Well.
Is the show becoming predictable?
Very sweet nonetheless.

Mature

Someone mentioned watch bets earlier and I'd actually like to offer a sort of peculiar one up to whoever's interested. I'd like to choose about 12 or 13 stand alone episodes of Detective Conan and offer those up in replacement of an actual full length single cour series. I could probably grab up to 24-26 episodes if the other person insisted on a two cour show.

I'd like to field some or all of the episodes I'd offer to be sure they're optimal, but if anyone is interested, I'd be game.

Love Lab 11
So Maki's delusions were discovered by her family and she is going to the cram school. I feel really sorry for Jan. Kind of hoped that Riko would give up this charade of being popular by now. Suzu also loves her slapstick comedy.

Fate kaleid 2wei - 05

The scenes with shiro were hilarous on the most basic level
Fate%20Kaleid%20Liner%20PRISMA%20ILYA%202wei%21%20-%2005.jpg
With or without context , this is just too much.

It's trully a shame that this anime is 10 ep . it should have been 20 so we can get the whole 2wei saga.

Clannad After Story 6

So, I might be getting ahead of myself here, but
I think that the cat might be this boy in the flashback. Same hair and eye color, and the last thing we focused on before the flashback began was the cat. Plus, up to now we've viewed events through the lens of Okazaki, so just who is telling/showing him this story right now?

Wow, this kid has more guts than pretty much all other anime romantic protags. Coming out with his feelings just like that.

Huh, if Okazaki were around back then, I'm sure he'd try to set Sunohara up with this kid.

Fake
:SDBurton

Well, at least his shoes tell us that this is the 80s.

Shima can't remember where his house is?
Getting flashbacks of Hachikuji...

Fuck.

And a
double-fakeout.
Fuck.

Wait, was that an elderly Dango mask?

Well.
Is the show becoming predictable?
Very sweet nonetheless.

Can't say it was predictable if you didn't expect the
"double-fakeout"
. :p

But yes they leave signs everywhere so long as people pay attention you can usually figure out what's going to happen.... for the most part. One more arc and you'll be in the best parts of After Story.

Clov

Its very sci fi, but not space sci fi. It uses scientific principles as an important part of the story to explain human behaviors and such, but its definitely not the mechanical futuristic space sci fi he is otherwise looking for.

When you put it that way, I guess you have a point. I was thinking more of a focus on technology and its consequences, I guess.

Someone mentioned watch bets earlier and I'd actually like to offer a sort of peculiar one up to whoever's interested. I'd like to choose about 12 or 13 stand alone episodes of Detective Conan and offer those up in replacement of an actual full length single cour series. I could probably grab up to 24-26 episodes if the other person insisted on a two cour show.

I'd like to field some or all of the episodes I'd offer to be sure they're optimal, but if anyone is interested, I'd be game.

I might take you up on that. I watched like, episodes one and two of Detective Conan back in the day, and never got around to continuing it. Which feels kind of odd, considering that I usually like mystery stories.

Do you have a list of anime that you've seen? If you have, show it to me and I'll see what I can recommend to you.

cajunator

Banned
When you put it that way, I guess you have a point. I was thinking more of a focus on technology and its consequences, I guess.

Im not really sure that world has a lot of technology. It mainly seemed to use psychic powers to do things. Looked pretty primitive technology-wise.

Mature

I might take you up on that. I watched like, episodes one and two of Detective Conan back in the day, and never got around to continuing it. Which feels kind of odd, considering that I usually like mystery stories.

Do you have a list of anime that you've seen? If you have, show it to me and I'll see what I can recommend to you.
MAL.

That's a pretty strong recommendation! I'll definitely be checking out those two. And I know a little bit about the beginning of Steins;Gate, I went through a brief VN phase and the Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head fan translations were two of the ones that I started to play before I completely burned out on VNs. But really liked what I played of Steins;Gate! I think I'll watch the anime and if I want more of it I'll get the official english release of the VN. Thanks again!

The official translation has already been released, and it's really the way to experience Steins;Gate.

mankoto

Fate/Illya S2 5
So Illya wants to live a "normal life," again. Just like in S1! Talk about regression... Then again, she is 10, so I guess it's okay for her to constantly change her mind when things get difficult. And it's natural for Kuro to be upset about it.

Clov

Im not really sure that world has a lot of technology. It mainly seemed to use psychic powers to do things. Looked pretty primitive technology-wise.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking it wasn't sci-fi. I thought sci-fi usually involved a focus on technology, often to examine or criticize some aspect of our society.

VRMN

Fate/Illya S2 5
So Illya wants to live a "normal life," again. Just like in S1! Talk about regression... Then again, she is 10, so I guess it's okay for her to constantly change her mind when things get difficult. And it's natural for Kuro to be upset about it.

I could repost my earlier comment about adaptation decay, but honestly, Illya has always been a reluctant hero. She's not saying "I want to have a normal life" to say "I wish Miyu and Kuro didn't exist." She's not thinking that hard about it, which is a normal 10 year old thing to do. All she's thinking is "I wish my life wasn't so crazy all the time." She's just not thinking about how Kuro and others will take it, which is and has always been Illya's principal character flaw. She's bad at thinking about other people's feelings until they're brought to her attention. (This is also not uncommon of children.)

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, that's why I was thinking it wasn't sci-fi. I thought sci-fi usually involved a focus on technology, often to examine or criticize some aspect of our society.

I dunno. The show was pretty scientific, but it was based on fiction. Its hard to classify really. I woulnt call it occult or supernatural per se since telekinesis isnt spiritual but a theoretical science fiction. Its kind of a muddled identity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LOGH 6-7
k22xvzYl.png

You know, the weapon design still makes no sense. If you are the attack fleet, why in the world would you group all your forces together so that you can be conveniently destroyed by the super weapon?

Worse still, why the hell would you try the same exact plan SIX TIMES before trying something else? :p

otBqclhl.png

Maybe he means incompetence instead of corruption. :p

And hey, they finally made a point of introducing a female character who isn't an object for the guys to protect or fawn over.
F6viIU0l.png

That said, between the Rome planet and the Trojan horse gimmick of this episode, I wonder if this show is meant to be evocative of Roman history. There really does seem to be a Caesar vs Antony vibe with the Reinhart-Wang story anyway.

I dunno. The show was pretty scientific, but it was based on fiction. Its hard to classify really. I woulnt call it occult or supernatural per se since telekinesis isnt spiritual but a theoretical science fiction. Its kind of a muddled identity.

See it's close to The Time Machine's main plot in the sense that it follows concepts of fantastical nature over traditional sci fi. There are many categories, but science fantasy is definitely the one in here.

Sci-fi can cover a wide spectrum. Not many people consider say the Frankenstein novel sci-fi, but it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kanon 3
p0AcnG6l.jpg

Uguu~~

They introduced some kind of samurai girl at the end, so I assume the story finally gets going next episode. Otherwise, I still don't know what to think about this show other than it seems all the women in this dude's life are insane.

Utena 16
Finally got to the infamous Nanami episode.
TA2A805l.jpg

It seems like a shift away from the black rose stuff and more of an isolated look at the psychology of a character independent of all Utena stuff. In fact, they don't even play the stair song and have a sword duel in this one. I wonder if it's serving as a reminder of how weak people can be even without necessarily being overtly manipulated.

Also, this ending was silly enough to make me laugh:
NNApFMFl.jpg

So predictable, but they did a good job of not ruining the joke by actually showing Nanami with the nose ring.

mankoto

I could repost my earlier comment about adaptation decay, but honestly, Illya has always been a reluctant hero. She's not saying "I want to have a normal life" to say "I wish Miyu and Kuro didn't exist." She's not thinking that hard about it, which is a normal 10 year old thing to do. All she's thinking is "I wish my life wasn't so crazy all the time." She's just not thinking about how Kuro and others will take it, which is and has always been Illya's principal character flaw. She's bad at thinking about other people's feelings until they're brought to her attention. (This is also not uncommon of children.)
Well yeah. It's like she's actually a child. She wants all of the fun of being a magical girl but none of the baggage that comes with it. And once things get too hard/complicated, she wants out. It's very understandable, it's just that this was more or less a repeat of what happened last time with how Illya will seemingly snap out of it since Miyu is in trouble again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom