• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

See it's close to The Time Machine's main plot in the sense that it follows concepts of fantastical nature over traditional sci fi. There are many categories, but science fantasy is definitely the one in here.

Sci-fi can cover a wide spectrum. Not many people consider say the Frankenstein novel sci-fi, but it is.

I thought it was pretty well accepted that Frankenstein is sci-fi? In all the classes I studied it in, my professors called it the first sci-fi novel (even in a class that dealt with romantic literature).

In any case, I guess it is a bit hard to classify it. Maybe science fantasy is the best way to describe it.

The official translation has already been released, and it's really the way to experience Steins;Gate.

Thanks so much! I've only loosely been following the release, I thought it was still a couple months away! Now I'm back to going "Well, I don't know if I should watch the anime or play the VN"! I think I'll probably watch the anime on hulu, and if I enjoy it (which I think I will), I'll play the VN. Do you know if they're trying to get a steam release, or any digital version? I haven't seen anything about steins;gate on steam or steam greenlight, that's why I thought it didn't come out yet. I read a long time ago that they were trying to get it on steam, did valve just say "Go through greenlight" and the publisher was just like "nah"?

Also, thanks to everyone who recommended From the New World. I'm only on episode 3 and there's not much scifi so far, but I'm really enjoying it.

Rhapsody

Banned
They introduced some kind of samurai girl at the end, so I assume the story finally gets going next episode. Otherwise, I still don't know what to think about this show other than it seems all the women in this dude's life are insane.
Mai's the best girl in Kanon, imo. With Sayuri as best supporting.

And that last sentence of yours, welcome to Key. lol

I thought it was pretty well accepted that Frankenstein is sci-fi? In all the classes I studied it in, my professors called it the first sci-fi novel (even in a class that dealt with romantic literature).

In any case, I guess it is a bit hard to classify it. Maybe science fantasy is the best way to describe it.

Well yes, in science fiction classes and people who know what they're talking about. But if you asked a regular joe they'd first say horror or monster novel over sci-fi because their first thought would probably be the film.

edit: Also I've mentioned it the whole day, but Gulliver's Travels is considered one of the fathers of sci-fi. And that's another story where at first glance by most they wouldn't see it.

Thanks so much! I've only loosely been following the release, I thought it was still a couple months away! Now I'm back to going "Well, I don't know if I should watch the anime or play the VN"! I think I'll probably watch the anime on hulu, and if I enjoy it (which I think I will), I'll play the VN. Do you know if they're trying to get a steam release, or any digital version? I haven't seen anything about steins;gate on steam or steam greenlight, that's why I thought it didn't come out yet. I read a long time ago that they were trying to get it on steam, did valve just say "Go through greenlight" and the publisher was just like "nah"?

There's a digital download version at that link, look at delivery method. They had said they would consider Steam in the past, but they've been quiet on a Steam release for a while now so I don't know if it's still planned. Greenlight wouldn't be an issue with many lesser known visual novels getting through it easily.

cajunator

Banned

Also, thanks to everyone who recommended From the New World. I'm only on episode 3 and there's not much scifi so far, but I'm really enjoying it.

You are right around where shit gets real. It gets pretty tense at times. The atmosphere of foreboding is incredible.

Clov

Well yes, in science fiction classes and people who know what they're talking about. But if you asked a regular joe they'd first say horror or monster novel over sci-fi because their first thought would probably be the film.

Yeah, that is true. The film is really what became iconic, after all. Those same people might not even know that the creature could speak in the book, and was actually quite intelligent.

This reminds me of something anime related. When I went to Anime North last year, there was a panel called "Totally Lame Anime", and one of the clips they showed was from an adaptation of Frankenstein by Toei. They showed the ending and it was the most hilariously tragic thing I've ever seen.
The creature throws himself off a cliff and Victor shoots himself in front of a little girl. The English voice acting was amazing.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS 7

ibbBtkMuu0Z42q.jpg

They couldn't make this world more stark if they tried.

lol, he truly does deserve all this.

So this episode starts off with Yuki cooking shrimp-fried rice. Then the title, "Where She Belongs". Hmm.

And as I learned from Haruhi, "Yuki" is a word for snow. I wonder if that will come into play.

Well, this just turned into a completely different type of show.

I wonder if we'll get a
West Side Story
reference out of this.

Oh no. Sunohara, does your dumbassery know no limits?

Wait, he's acting mature? wat.

...I spoke too soon. This can only end well.

That...teacher, I'm guessing?
iJL6lZkbgfRc9.jpg

Sounds like Sunohara's voice actor is having fun. That bar scene.

ibE0l4i1ycewp.jpg

Poignant.

iPrzSnDDcAO9.jpg

So tempted...

The predictable outcome. This is why you don't write checks you can't cash.

lol

Clannad AS 7

ibbBtkMuu0Z42q.jpg

They couldn't make this world more stark if they tried.

lol, he truly does deserve all this.

So this episode starts off with Yuki cooking shrimp-fried rice. Then the title, "Where She Belongs". Hmm.

And as I learned from Haruhi, "Yuki" is a word for snow. I wonder if that will come into play.

Well, this just turned into a completely different type of show.

I wonder if we'll get a
West Side Story
reference out of this.

Oh no. Sunohara, does your dumbassery know no limits?

Wait, he's acting mature? wat.

...I spoke too soon. This can only end well.

That...teacher, I'm guessing?
iJL6lZkbgfRc9.jpg

Sounds like Sunohara's voice actor is having fun. That bar scene.

ibE0l4i1ycewp.jpg

Poignant.

iPrzSnDDcAO9.jpg

So tempted...

The predictable outcome. This is why you don't write checks you can't cash.

lol

Ooooooooh boy. You are just powering through this. Lovely.

This episode and the next continue to prove that Tomoya and Sunohara are hilarious and somewhat awesome characters.

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 12

That first half of the episode with the mirages was pretty surreal. Akari hallucinating in the heat that the people had all disappeared from the market, only seeing the mirage of President Aria. Then walking into that cafe that turned out to be only for cats. Good thing she's tight with Cait Sith.

Second half had that really pretty scene with the lights descending into the sea.

There's a digital download version at that link, look at delivery method. They had said they would consider Steam in the past, but they've been quiet on a Steam release for a while now so I don't know if it's still planned. Greenlight wouldn't be an issue with many lesser known visual novels getting through it easily.

Thanks, I thought the delivery method would just be shipping speeds and didn't think to check it!

You are right around where shit gets real. It gets pretty tense at times. The atmosphere of foreboding is incredible.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere. It's got this sense of "These people are at peace" and simultaneously "There's something not quite right and it's very dangerous", really digging it so far. Crunchyroll is acting up though so I keep on refreshing hoping that I get it to work right, cause it seems like stuff is going to happen soon and I have to go to bed soon, so I'm hoping I can finish another episode or two before I go to sleep.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ooooooooh boy. You are just powering through this. Lovely.

This episode and the next continue to prove that Tomoya and Sunohara are hilarious and somewhat awesome characters.

Also isn't the crossover of two deadly powers coming up soon?
That rainbow bread

cajunator

Banned
NSFW text

Edit: maybe bannable idk, I'll pm it

Nowadays probably so. PMing it limits the damage XD

Thanks, I thought the delivery method would just be shipping speeds and didn't think to check it!

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere. It's got this sense of "These people are at peace" and simultaneously "There's something not quite right and it's very dangerous", really digging it so far. Crunchyroll is acting up though so I keep on refreshing hoping that I get it to work right, cause it seems like stuff is going to happen soon and I have to go to bed soon, so I'm hoping I can finish another episode or two before I go to sleep.

I really liked that from the start. You got a feeling right away that something is very very wrong with that world and there is something very sinister being hidden from view.

VRMN

Well yeah. It's like she's actually a child. She wants all of the fun of being a magical girl but none of the baggage that comes with it. And once things get too hard/complicated, she wants out. It's very understandable, it's just that this was more or less a repeat of what happened last time with how Illya will seemingly snap out of it since Miyu is in trouble again.

This is where the prior post comes into play. It's not really a repeat in that last time she put everyone in danger and Miyu actively pushed her away, but even that is adaptation decay, because in the manga it was entirely "I don't understand what these powers are and I'm scared to use them." Now it's a misunderstanding on Kuro's part as to Illya's desires because she is extrapolating meaning where Illya meant none. Which is quite appropriate for something that split off of Illyasviel von Einzbern, but I digress.

Love Lab 12
Borderline insane how it hasn't been revealed to Maki that Riko is lying. Maki's poses were quite good. I've started to notice the animation more and I've noticed it's pretty nice and fluid.

brb, clearing my history.

Winners write history my brother. And the fact you read this means you're now a winner and know how Anohana truly should've ended.

The idea of linked text being bannable is ridiculous to me :/
I'd say let's not risk it. For that matter I'm hoping AnimeGAF doesn't go full circle and starts discussing what is and isn't bannable because that'll just bring the Usual Suspects here to complain.

mankoto

This is where the prior post comes into play. It's not really a repeat in that last time she put everyone in danger and Miyu actively pushed her away, but even that is adaptation decay, because in the manga it was entirely "I don't understand what these powers are and I'm scared to use them." Now it's a misunderstanding on Kuro's part as to Illya's desires because she is extrapolating meaning where Illya meant none. Which is quite appropriate for something that split off of Illyasviel von Einzbern, but I digress.
That's interesting. I'll start reading the manga when I get the chance then.

Noirulus

Ping-Pong - 01

I don't think I've watched a show with this type of art style before. Very simplistic, although perhaps a bit too simple, but it's interesting. I don't understand why the eyes on the characters' faces are asymmetrical at times, though.

Episode was boring until the introduction of Kong. I really liked that they kept his voice Chinese! Can't wait to see how Smile fares against him.

Jex

From the New World was excellent. Not sure if I'd call it a sci-fi series, though. Still, it's absolutely worth a watch. Very captivating stuff! It felt like I was watching Wolf's Rain again.

It's most definetenly science fiction, just learning towards the sociological area of the genre.

Clov

It's most definetenly science fiction, just learning towards the sociological area of the genre.

Yeah, thinking about it now that makes the most sense. I guess I was just thrown off because a lot of sci-fi in anime tends towards the more technological side.

VRMN

I've seen this gif a few times in the past. Dare I ask, what is it from? Do I even wanna know?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Forget I can Google image search sometimes. This looks insane. Like, more insane than Mirai Nikki insane.
Higurashi...it is, but if you want to get into that, I earnestly recommend the visual novels over the anime. Not that the anime are bad, just that they take a lot out that makes the fun of solving the mysteries unreasonably hard for an anime-only viewer.

That said, I love the anime adaptations dearly despite their flaws.

Jex

LOGH 6-7
k22xvzYl.png

You know, the weapon design still makes no sense. If you are the attack fleet, why in the world would you group all your forces together so that you can be conveniently destroyed by the super weapon?

Are you trying to tell me that giant super space lazers make no sense? Because they're hardly unique to this series! It can fire from any angle anyway, so it doesn't really matter how you group your fleet. If you have them to spread out then the station fleet on Isherlon can punish you anyway. The basic idea is that the defence is 'perfect'.

otBqclhl.png

Maybe he means incompetence instead of corruption. :p
Well he's basically just saying that cronyism, a form of corruption, leads to incompetent leaders because people are in positions they shouldn't be. It's a running theme in the series.

Nordicus

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Forget I can Google image search sometimes. This looks insane. Like, more insane than Mirai Nikki insane.
Yup, Mirai Nikki might be a decent comparison. Higurashi is full of moe, mysteries, and oh so much bloody torture and murder. Great show

cajunator

Banned
I've seen this gif a few times in the past. Dare I ask, what is it from? Do I even wanna know?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Forget I can Google image search sometimes. This looks insane. Like, more insane than Mirai Nikki insane, but similar to Another insane

Higurashi is cute girls murdering cute things.

Higurashi...it is, but if you want to get into that, I earnestly recommend the visual novels over the anime. Not that the anime are bad, just that they take a lot out that makes the fun of solving the mysteries unreasonably hard for an anime-only viewer.

That said, I love the anime adaptations dearly despite their flaws.
Hmmm. I'll give it a look. Probably just gonna end up watching only the anime.

Yup, Mirai Nikki might be a decent comparison. Higurashi is full of moe, mysteries, and oh so much bloody torture and murder. Great show

Higurashi is cute girls murdering cute things.
Oh, well, sounds fun!

*sigh*

More anime to add to my ever-growing list of anime to eventually watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you trying to tell me that giant super space lazers make no sense? Because they're hardly unique to this series! It can fire from any angle anyway, so it doesn't really matter how you group your fleet. If you have them to spread out then the station fleet on Isherlon can punish you anyway. The basic idea is that the defence is 'perfect'.
Well, I don't even understand why you would have giant space fleets with thousands of ships in them, but if you were going to deploy that many ships in a single fleet, why wouldn't you actually approach from several angles instead of head on? Even if this magical weapon uses no energy and ammo and can fire infinitely at a constant rate, sheer numbers would allow forces to close range at some point.

If you think this target is worth sacrificing at least six humungous fleets, then why didn't they just combine them into a single massive blob and just Zerg the planet to death?
Or better yet, why aren't these guys just loading giant nukes onto giant torpedoes and throwing them at planets? Or just pull a Yamato and fling asteroids at the planet.

I look forward to you complaining about the illogical nature of the space combat in B5 soon, although I don't think it's as wacky as this. lol

Well he's basically just saying that cronyism, a form of corruption, leads to incompetent leaders because people are in positions they shouldn't be. It's a running theme in the series.
I understand, but I just think these commanders are just dumb. Maybe it's so that they can make Wang and Reinhart look like military geniuses by comparison, since they were both able to achieve their "impossible" objectives without losing a single life.

And then I was given fetish videos, one that was probably one of the tamest, yet incomprehensible fetishes I've ever encountered. (Wet jackets)

And they're both on my twitter.

One has a toothbrush even if that tickles your fancy.

Anywho, can't wait for more Jojo to kick things off.

Just finished Anohana and man that ending. :(

Hehe. It's great!

Anyone whose name isn't MikeHattsu want to do a watchbet?

Anything to get me out of Mike watchbet slump.

Hey! That's not nice ;P

I'm pretty sure it was present in the JP track on the Bandai BDs, too. I think it was anyway; I never watched the dub on my set.

It's on the JP track on my UK set at least.

Ill see what I can think of

Let him finish Rumbling Hearts first!

Kanon 3

They introduced some kind of samurai girl at the end, so I assume the story finally gets going next episode. Otherwise, I still don't know what to think about this show other than it seems all the women in this dude's life are insane.

Not quite yet...

Mai's the best girl in Kanon, imo. With Sayuri as best supporting.

Ayu is the best!

Jex

Well, I don't even understand why you would have giant space fleets with thousands of ships in them, but if you were going to deploy that many ships in a single fleet, why wouldn't you actually approach from several angles instead of head on? Even if this magical weapon uses no energy and ammo and can fire infinitely at a constant rate, sheer numbers would allow forces to close range at some point.

If you think this target is worth sacrificing at least six humungous fleets, then why didn't they just combine them into a single massive blob and just Zerg the planet to death?
Or better yet, why aren't these guys just loading giant nukes onto giant torpedoes and throwing them at planets? Or just pull a Yamato and fling asteroids at the planet.

I look forward to you complaining about the illogical nature of the space combat in B5 soon, although I don't think it's as wacky as this. lol
It's fairly wacky all right. In terms of direct assault by smaller numbers of ships in a more spread out fashion Iserlohn reflects lasers, absorbs projectiles and is covered with hundreds of floating cannons and houses a 20,000 strong fleet. It's pretty OP. Therefore, you're right, assaulting it 5 times in a row seems like a pretty stupid idea!

With regards to combining fleets, most of the time the Alliance doesn't muster all their power for a single super-fleet because of internal division in the Alliance and the need to maintain forces throughout their territory.
I understand, but I just think these commanders are just dumb. Maybe it's so that they can make Wang and Reinhart look like military geniuses by comparison, since they were both able to achieve their "impossible" objectives without losing a single life.
Well, of course the commanders are dumb to make the heroes look smart! In all fairness to show, however, the commanders are only inept at this point in the show, later on more talented commanders are installed by both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom