• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

Question: is NGNL actually interesting or interesting?

I thought it was a better executed take on the basic idea of Problem Children. The fanservice is a turn off. I think the show is good enough with its presentation and execution of game theory concepts to withstand that negative. I'd like to see a season two.

Instro

Terror in Resonance 1-3

I really like this show, but I kind of wish the designs for the main characters were a bit more remarkable. Personality and design wise Shibasaki and Lisa are more interesting to me right now than the terrorist duo, although they play off each other well.

Gazoinks

Dennou Coil 14
3VGoAXnl.jpg

Recap episode.
X60Xrpkl.png

Not all gloom though, as we got some actual plot development in the last few minutes. Glasses camera dude is a bit iffy but doesn't seem to be a bad guy. The title of the show was dropped and we got some vague references to some thing that happened a while ago. Onwards!

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 1-3

I really like this show, but I kind of wish the designs for the main characters were a bit more remarkable. Personality and design wise Shibasaki and Lisa are more interesting to me right now than the terrorist duo, although they play off each other well.

Kazuto Nakazawa's designs are great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not quite yet...
More uguu~ then. :p

It's fairly wacky all right. In terms of direct assault by smaller numbers of ships in a more spread out fashion Iserlohn reflects lasers, absorbs projectiles and is covered with hundreds of floating cannons and houses a 20,000 strong fleet. It's pretty OP. Therefore, you're right, assaulting it 5 times in a row seems like a pretty stupid idea!

With regards to combining fleets, most of the time the Alliance doesn't muster all their power for a single super-fleet because of internal division in the Alliance and the need to maintain forces throughout their territory.
You know, I figure I should just look this up:
The fortress had a diameter of 60 kilometres and a mass of nearly 60 trillion tonnes. Its primary weapon was an enormous X-ray beam cannon, the Thor Hammer, which was capable of destroying large numbers of enemy vessels in a single shot. Its docks could berth 20,000 ships, and its dedicated agriculture blocks could sustain both a garrison of up to 2 million and a civilian population of up to 3 million indefinitely. The fortress exterior was a several-layer-thick coating of liquid hydro-metal, which absorbed solid projectiles and reflected directed energy; hundreds of cannon turrets floated in this liquid and would rise to fire at approaching enemies.
What. lol
I assume all this stuff is built on slave labour, because I don't understand how they could make these things and have all these ships in the first place.

The limitations on warp are convenient as well:
When a starship executes a warp jump, it appears to glow brightly before vanishing from sight.
As the mass of an object increases, the amount of energy required to warp it increases exponentially.
Vessels can only warp across a finite distance. There is likely both a minimum and a maximum limit, meaning it is possible to warp from star-to-star, provided the stars are within a certain range, but it is not possible to warp from one point inside a system to another point in that same system. For inter-solar flight, conventional ships make use of standard drive engines.
Vessels can only warp while a certain distance away from intense gravitational wells; this means a fleet cannot warp-out directly on top of a planet or other large body, and presumably requires individual ships in a fleet be spaced a certain distance away from each other while executing warp.

Although I don't get why they don't just warp ships full of nukes on top of, or into, this base...

Well, of course the commanders are dumb to make the heroes look smart! In all fairness to show, however, the commanders are only inept at this point in the show, later on more talented commanders are installed by both sides.
Yeah, I assume they need to make the main dudes seem amazing early on and this is the easiest way to do it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Like in many science fiction universes, this is also explained away under the banner of "Nuclear Weapons are Outlawed".
Well, not nukes but... even crashing ships into planets seems like a good idea, when you're already sending thousands/millions of soldiers to die needlessly anyway.

Morris

Disco Devil
Sailor Moon Crystal 1, 2

This looks and sounds like shit.

They went for the manga style but instead they all look like aliens.

Gazoinks

Dennou Coil 15

Nice to see them more actively pursuing the mysteries again. And when I say pursuing I of course mean further confusing!

Yet more questions hereabouts.
Whoooo is 4423, why was there a random Illegal chilling who wanted to eat him? Who's this weird kid who knows Kanna? Is he related to camera guy?

Still personally banking on 4423 being Isako's vanished brother, though. I think that's a decent guess to go on for now. Ni san = Nii-san?

Wish I could keep going, the intrigue is ramping up again, but 'tis late.

Isotope

Fate/Zero

I marathoned this mainly because A.) The F/S N anime this Fall (Or retelling rather?) and B.) I've been interested in the Fate series for a while. Man, what a ride that was, especially during the second season.
I knew the Servants and Masters would be dying (Hell, it's a War), but damn, it was happening so fast! One after another, first Caster, then Lancer like two episodes apart. Then Kirei killing Tokiomi in cold blood to fulfill the "pleasure" he sought. AND RIDER DYING. :((( I liked Kitsurugu's flashback episodes, despite them being sad (Especially when he had to blow up the plane, with Natalia in it, and the whole deal with Shirley. :c).
All in all, I'm glad I decided to watch it, and got me anticipating the Fall anime even more.

P.S.: Rider is the best Servant.

Rurumo 5

This is such trash. Rurumo's inability to do anything isn't endearing or funny, it's just frustrating. There are good examples of "cute girls doing stupid things" series and this isn't one of them. It's just bland.

Why am I still watching this?

CorvoSol

One has a toothbrush even if that tickles your fancy.

Krspo8l.gif

SPEAKIN' OF WHICH.

Nisemonogatari Episode 8

6uFY31D.jpg

Remember, Sis, Weird Al's Cavity Search will be the safe word.
Toothfully, this enamelpisode was one of the most masterfully unnerving pieces of animated fiction I have ever had the chance to sink my teeth into. The kind of episode you really can't help but savor, you know? So that you can properly digest it. Aw, shucks, I'm sure the lot of you'll grin and bear it, so let's just get to the bones of it, huh?

Episode Ate is an effort to see just how far one can open the jaws of what is acceptable in the realm of fan-service. The premise is one with which we're all famouthliar enough: siscons! I mean, those've been around since Chew Aznable, right? I mean, Nisemonogatari pushes those limits already, with its revelry in ship-teething Araragi and his sisters, but this particular chapter sticks out like a bad overbite because of its audacity. The episode has an initial dance of Karen providing a variety of fetishes, the details of which I won't bother to go into, but the intensity and subtlety thereof being directly opposite upon a graph. If this wasn't Monogatari, one would dare suppose that these feteethes were being mocked through their being serviced.

And then we come to that sublime epitome of absurdity, that ode to the truly twisted which causes us all to reconsider the meaning of sibling to sibling hygienics. You see, dear reader, the true genius of this sequence is that it is a stunningly subtle decrownstruction of filial orthodontics. This sequence aims to floss the very depths of what it truly means to be an appropriate sibling relationship. Note Araragi's treatise on touching! Surely this is a speech on the need to not get caught up in the heterorthodontal norms society imposes upon our mouths!

gCpxe4q.gif

Because being a monodent like Araragi is shown to be here is the future.

But it isn't just the boldness of an unopposed uni-molar nation that earns this piece such lofty praise! Consider the attention to detail, the way every brush and stroke is so carefully rendered, how the blissful gargle is carefully recreated like a set of perfectly structured dentures. Behold this exact concept on display:

I canine't relent in indicating that the final triumph of this all is in the masterful turning of the imagination back upon the viewer. No matter how immouthdest one cuspiders this turn of events, ultimately nothing less appropriate than some fraternal oral antics occur. Though a slender brush with the dangerously abscessive does occur, I wish to impact upon you, yea, to drill in the simple fact that nothing more than some tooth brushing goes down, and that the show is positively sorridente about being able to let the viewer's imagination run wild with that. This commouthment to so thoroughly mocking both the fetish and those so entirely afraid of it is perhaps the greatest quality one might ascribe to this.

dVBXuRk.gif

I'm pretty sure I've made several of these faces at my dental hygienist, too.

In the end, Nii-sangatari Ate is about screwing with you, just like this post.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It kind of is, but it is waaay less well-executed than bake, neko and mono.

At its core the series is really all about the running conversations that are tied to the overall supernatural arc, but nise was super scattershot where most of the conversations didn't really tie to the overall theme of the arc.

God, Nise was so shitty. I can't believe I once though Bake was anything more than a garbage harem.

Yeah same. I was pretty interested in it after the first 3 episodes. The more I watched the more it became another one of those stupid harem shows. The his sisters got included in the harem.......had enough of this shit.

Quasar

Mai's the best girl in Kanon, imo. With Sayuri as best supporting.

And that last sentence of yours, welcome to Key. lol

I don't know about best girl (Shiori maybe)l, but the Makoto arc was the only bit I liked. Well only bit that struck an emotional chord.

Theonik

http://i.imgur.com/0MKpIF8.jpg
I've grown increasingly concerned that Hito may have actually been a ghost all this time and your watching Doremi finally gave him peace enough to pass on.
Kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume

The idea of linked text being bannable is ridiculous to me :/
It's not like we haven't been banning people for NSFW text either lately...

Theonik got banned for linking to an external site that he clearly labeled as NSFW.

I don't trust our new Marshall law because it hasn't been clearly defined.
The age of FEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom