• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
0jEFqdd.jpg

Series Thoughts

I've mentioned it a couple of times while giving my thoughts on each individual episode, but I've always wanted to watch a proper Gulliver's Travel adaptation into a screen, and while those exist they have never been particularly good (at least the ones I've watched). While I don't consider Kino's Journey as deep or as impactful as Gulliver's Travels, or that it explores a lot of the same themes, this is the closest I've gotten in a genuinely good tv show about exploring different societies and their pros/cons. But enough comparisons to a book I was never asked to compare it with, let's get on with the show.

Most episodes for the most part stick with one message/theme and use that to drive the plot. While there are episodes here and there that try to have multiple 'short stories' with a different message for each, these at least attempted to make a central theme to the episode. Such as the episode that's a commentary on religion.I did not feel there was any message presented within the episodes that hasn't been done multiple times by other shows/novels, so unfortunately a lot of the impact of them was lost. But it certainly was appreciated that the show did not hand hold, even if it meant leaving me dazed and confused on what I was supposed to get from the episode, but hey this can always be an argument over interpretation of the art being left to the audience itself.

When it comes to the structure, it's extremely episodic. I'd argue the show is as episodic as it gets really, similar to shows such as Mushishi (which I still need to watch properly). There is no overarching plot or central message that I could find. There are plot points here and there that dealt with Kino's past that she might reference to in a episode, but regardless of those each episode is a self contained story.

As to Kino's Journey as a visual medium... I'll be the typical geek and say that even though I haven't read the novels I'd argue that the show is probably better as a novel. The animation and character designs were extremely simplistic, the 'countries' and locales Kino visited didn't have any real oomph or creativity to them, and I never got anything out of the voice acting that made me think I was glad I was able to experience it like this. In fact the voice acting I feel was largely uninspired, which works for a character as mellow as Kino but Hermes' VA I still insist was a wrong choice. I would've preferred a wise sounding deep voice, not japanese winnie the pooh. I get that Hermes is curious and playful and that's why a child-like voice might have been chosen, but more often than not I could not appreciate him talking. It clashed too much with the tone. To be fair if it wasn't for the show I would have never learned about the series though, so I guess it did one thing right for me as a Westerner.

I personally feel that Kino's Journey wasn't so much interested in telling me a story as it was interested in telling me the author's point of view, whether political or ideological, submerged in a tale of a traveler going to different cities. And I don't fault it for this as it made it very clear from the start and in many instances, such as his/her thoughts on critics (whether they are entirely the author's or not). Kino has little to no development(outside of the flashback episode and the last one) , she's simply the audience's guide into each country. The show never bothered or chose not to explain things such as a why a city-state of sorts was called a country, or why every single individual acted so similarly, or as to why travelers were such a big deal, or why were the dog and the bike able to talk? Heck why were so many people ok with a person bringing in their motorcycle inside of buildings and bedrooms? But these were questions that did not take away from the enjoyment and I just made assumptions as to the answers, most dealing with my initial assumption that this wasn't meant to be taken as a traditional story but as a message by the author.

If you're looking for a show that stands out in its structure, looking for something to watch after Mushishi, or simply are curious as to what it means to have a show that wanted to share the author's ideals with you, then do watch this, it is very solid but I don't know if I can recommend it as a whole as it seems to me it needs to be watched with a particular mindset and not every viewer will want to have it.

Kino's Journey gets an 8.5/10 Woofs

survivor

Banned
Again!!
5Yy2aARl.jpg

Insert joke about how this is metatextual because the jdrama looks like a poor adaptation of the manga. Although I think it being 25 minutes makes it at least watchable if one were so inclined (since an anime is never going to happen now).

This looks much worse than I expected the characters to be. Why couldn't we just get a competent anime adaptation.

Phatmac

This is a complication caused by adaptation decay, actually. In the manga version of season one she wasn't venting on Miyu but rather freaking out because of her power overload that she didn't understand. Because this whole thing was simplified because they didn't know if there would be a season two, they shifted it from Illya fearing her own abilities to a Miyu v. Illya conflict.

Here they're playing it as the manga did, but it's repeating elements of the S1 conflict.
Haven't read the manga so that makes sense.

cajunator

Banned
0jEFqdd.jpg

Series Thoughts

I've mentioned it a couple of times while giving my thoughts on each individual episode, but I've always wanted to watch a proper Gulliver's Travel adaptation into a screen, and while those exist they have never been particularly good (at least the ones I've watched). While I don't consider Kino's Journey as deep or as impactful as Gulliver's Travels, or that it explores a lot of the same themes, this is the closest I've gotten in a genuinely good tv show about exploring different societies and their pros/cons. But enough comparisons to a book I was never asked to compare it with, let's get on with the show.

Most episodes for the most part stick with one message/theme and use that to drive the plot. While there are episodes here and there that try to have multiple 'short stories' with a different message for each, these at least attempted to make a central theme to the episode. Such as the episode that's a commentary on religion.I did not feel there was any message presented within the episodes that hasn't been done multiple times by other shows/novels, so unfortunately a lot of the impact of them was lost. But it certainly was appreciated that the show did not hand hold, even if it meant leaving me dazed and confused on what I was supposed to get from the episode, but hey this can always be an argument over interpretation of the art being left to the audience itself.

When it comes to the structure, it's extremely episodic. I'd argue the show is as episodic as it gets really, similar to shows such as Mushishi (which I still need to watch properly). There is no overarching plot or central message that I could find. There are plot points here and there that dealt with Kino's past that she might reference to in a episode, but regardless of those each episode is a self contained story.

As to Kino's Journey as a visual medium... I'll be the typical geek and say that even though I haven't read the novels I'd argue that the show is probably better as a novel. The animation and character designs were extremely simplistic, the 'countries' and locales Kino visited didn't have any real oomph or creativity to them, and I never got anything out of the voice acting that made me think I was glad I was able to experience it like this. In fact the voice acting I feel was largely uninspired, which works for a character as mellow as Kino but Hermes' VA I still insist was a wrong choice. I would've preferred a wise sounding deep voice, not japanese winnie the pooh. I get that Hermes is curious and playful and that's why a child-like voice might have been chosen, but more often than not I could not appreciate him talking. It clashed too much with the tone. To be fair if it wasn't for the show I would have never learned about the series though, so I guess it did one thing right for me as a Westerner.

I personally feel that Kino's Journey wasn't so much interested in telling me a story as it was interested in telling me the author's point of view, whether political or ideological, submerged in a tale of a traveler going to different cities. And I don't fault it for this as it made it very clear from the start and in many instances, such as his/her thoughts on critics (whether they are entirely the author's or not). Kino has little to no development(outside of the flashback episode and the last one) , she's simply the audience's guide into each country. The show never bothered or chose not to explain things such as a why a city-state of sorts was called a country, or why every single individual acted so similarly, or as to why travelers were such a big deal, or why were the dog and the bike able to talk? Heck why were so many people ok with a person bringing in their motorcycle inside of buildings and bedrooms? But these were questions that did not take away from the enjoyment and I just made assumptions as to the answers, most dealing with my initial assumption that this wasn't meant to be taken as a traditional story but as a message by the author.

If you're looking for a show that stands out in its structure, looking for something to watch after Mushishi, or simply are curious as to what it means to have a show that wanted to share the author's ideals with you, then do watch this, it is very solid but I don't know if I can recommend it as a whole as it seems to me it needs to be watched with a particular mindset and not every viewer will want to have it.

Thasts why its only my second favorite anime of all time and not my first hehee.

0jEFqdd.jpg

Series Thoughts

Not a bad review. I can't exactly relate to how you feel on the show since I watched the dub, but I doubt much would be changed.

Still though, you make some good points. It is indeed a great show that I'll continue to recommend to people however. Because compared to most anime that's out there, Kino really does a good job at being different than the rest of them.

All right. Next show on the watchbet list as I watch GTO is Gunbuster. A 6 episode Gainax OVA that's considered a classic amongst many mecha fans.

Not a bad review. I can't exactly relate to how you feel on the show since I watched the dub, but I doubt much would be changed.

Still though, you make some good points. It is indeed a great show that I'll continue to recommend to people however. Because compared to most anime that's out there, Kino really does a good job at being different than the rest of them.

All right. Next show on the watchbet list as I watch GTO is Gunbuster. A 6 episode Gainax OVA that's considered a classic amongst many mecha fans.

Sure. Seeing how it's a classic I suppose I should be expecting standard mecha stuff? Such as lead being a badass, high school students being central to the war? I'll find out I guess.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad After Story 5

So the robot is close to her own weight, judging be the seesaw? Yet she can easily lift it?

And speaking of strong women...poor Sunohara.

And we have a new named character, Nana-chan. And Okazaki is already embracing him.

Sunohara flinching simply at Tomoyo's presence. Dat conditioning.

This is quite therapeutic after how much of an asshat he was in the previous arc.

What?
A charm with a light that can grant wishes? Take it to her? Is the cat the one saying this? What is going on?

And sudden
flashback
. With no indication what's going on.

Did...did she just grab his crotch with both hands?

Igarashi's a bit of a jerk, asking a third party to relate that information.

Yeah, this is getting really fucked up.

I hate, hate, hate this ED. Terrible tonal shift and annoying to boot.

Sure. Seeing how it's a 'classic' I suppose I should be expecting standard mecha stuff? Such as lead being a badass, high school students being central to the war? I'll find out I guess.

Well yes. But keep in mind, this was made back in the late 1980s. It was directed by the same guy who directed Evangelion.

Think something more along the grounds of TTGL when it comes to character development and the mecha. It's very Super-Robot-ish, but it has a touch of Real Robot to it as well with all the physics that go down in the show. It's really quite amazing.

Defuser

Again!!
5Yy2aARl.jpg

Insert joke about how this is metatextual because the jdrama looks like a poor adaptation of the manga. Although I think it being 25 minutes makes it at least watchable if one were so inclined (since an anime is never going to happen now).

Oh man, I totally forget about this. I need to start watching episode 1 now. And yeah, this kind of series would never get a anime :(

Crocodile

I noticed "Stand Battle" was trending on twitter so I got curious

Turns about it was about some "Bring It" TV show

I was disappointed :( :p

I don't usually hang out in this thread, is this where I should ask for recommendations?

I watched Knights of Sidonia and the episodes of Aldnoah Zero that are available and now I really wanna watch some more mecha or scifi that's not ridiculous, what do I do? I've exhausted most of the gundam series, I looked at the other stuff on Crunchyroll but it's mostly ridiculous "Oh my boobs are so big, oh my mech commits harikari". I played Muvluv and don't wanna watch the anime adaptation.

I liked Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early days (and everything else Makoto Shinkai's ever done cause he's the greatest), and I also watched Time of Eve and Pale Cocoon.

Any recommendations aside from the obvious (akira, evangelion, anything that was on toonami or adult swim, etc.)? I started reading the Appleseed manga and really like that. I'm also watching No. 6.

I prefer recs for series that have finished, but if there's anything ongoing that's as good as Aldnoah Zero feel free to recommend it.

Clov

I don't usually hang out in this thread, is this where I should ask for recommendations?

I watched Knights of Sidonia and the episodes of Aldnoah Zero that are available and now I really wanna watch some more mecha or scifi that's not ridiculous, what do I do? I've exhausted most of the gundam series, I looked at the other stuff on Crunchyroll but it's mostly ridiculous "Oh my boobs are so big, oh my mech commits harikari". I played Muvluv and don't wanna watch the anime adaptation.

I liked Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early days (and everything else Makoto Shinkai's ever done cause he's the greatest), and I also watched Time of Eve and Pale Cocoon.

Any recommendations aside from the obvious (akira, evangelion, anything that was on toonami or adult swim, etc.)? I started reading the Appleseed manga and really like that. I'm also watching No. 6.

I prefer recs for series that have finished, but if there's anything ongoing that's as good as Aldnoah Zero feel free to recommend it.

Have you watched the Patlabor movies? If you want a serious mecha anime, you might really enjoy those. They're directed by Mamoru Oshii, the guy who directed the original Ghost in the Shell.

cajunator

Banned

Gargantia is interesting but maybe a bit fanservicey sometimes. Its also short and not really a true mech show. Hmmm. Valvrave is "good" in the sense that it devolves into a clusterfuck albeit an enjoyable one.

Have you watched the Patlabor movies? If you want a serious mecha anime, you might really enjoy those. They're directed by Mamoru Oshii, the guy who directed the original Ghost in the Shell.

Yup, watched the movies and the OVA, I tried watching the tv show on Hulu after but I couldn't get used to the animation quality and also I don't think they use the remastered bluray rips. Thanks for the rec though!

Seconding this but the OVA series Mobile Police Patlabor needs to be watched before the movies.

For science fiction, check out Planetes.

For sci-fi?

Highest recommendation: Yamato 2199. It's Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica, so good yo.

There's also:
Steins Gate
Psycho-Pass
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Ghost in the Shell SAC*
Cowboy Bebop*
Space Dandy*
Gurren Lagann
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

*these all air/have aired in Toonami/Adult Swim but you never know you might've missed one of these.

If you don't mind going into fantasy territory there's a bit more there. I've found anime lacking in sci-fi for the most part, at least in the 'non gundam/mecha' category.

Anyone wanting to watch SF should just watch Yamato 2199 and then close the book on the genre.
I just want to clarify that sci-fi isn't just space/mech combat, but sadly anime largely deals with this. So this statement isn't too far off, but I'm watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and that's pretty damn good.

Gargantia is interesting but maybe a bit fanservicey sometimes. Its also short and not really a true mech show. Hmmm. Valvrave is "good" in the sense that it devolves into a clusterfuck albeit an enjoyable one.

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about Gargantia, I'll put that on my list! I started watching Valvrave but it doesn't seem like my type of show. It seems a lot like Gundam (I think it's made by some of the gundam team?) but intentionally without the restraint that I enjoy in most of the gundam series (particularly 8th ms team and 0080 war in the pocket). Thanks for the rec!

Clov

Seconding this but the OVA series Mobile Police Patlabor needs to be watched before the movies.

You just made me remember that I still haven't watched the OVA series. I know what I'll be watching after I finish The Soultaker now.

It's been several years since I've seen the movies as well, so I think I'll give those a watch as soon as I finish the OVAs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just want to clarify that sci-fi isn't just space/mech combat, but sadly anime largely deals with this. So this statement isn't too far off, but I'm watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and that's pretty damn good.
I know. But for new stuff? I know that people seem to love From the New World here, or maybe even stuff like Penguindrum and Psychopass and whatever... but yeah.

Heck, even the GitS relaunch seemed to have fell on its face and no one gives a shit anymore.

I think you guys like to watch me suffer.

I'm doing you a favor. The dub is amazing

I know. But for new stuff? I know that people seem to love From the New World here, or maybe even stuff like Penguindrum and Psychopass and whatever... but yeah.

Heck, even the GitS relaunch seemed to have fell on its face and no one gives a shit anymore.

Outside of themes and implications I'll still largely consider From the New World a fantasy series. Penguindrum as well (never really thought about it, but I tend to block out this show).

But agreed though, new stuff in sci-fi has been largely meh. Even Aldnoah.Zero is struggling to not suck. Which could be solved if they focused on Slaine instead of wanna-be onii-sama.

Clov

From the New World was excellent. Not sure if I'd call it a sci-fi series, though. Still, it's absolutely worth a watch. Very captivating stuff! It felt like I was watching Wolf's Rain again.

mankoto

Free ES 5
So Nagisa ran away from home due to bad grades and his parents telling him to quit club. I'm not going to lie, I found it pretty funny that he seriously tried to camp outside Haruka's house. Glad it came to the most logical solution of allowing him to stay in the club at the cost of keeping his grade up.

For science fiction, check out Planetes.

I've been reading through the Planetes manga off and on actually! I went through a phase where I burned through a bunch of manga really quickly and I've burned out a bit on reading manga atm, but I definitely like Planetes a lot so far! Thanks!

For sci-fi?

Highest recommendation: Yamato 2199. It's Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica, so good yo.

There's also:
Steins Gate
Psycho-Pass
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Ghost in the Shell SAC*
Cowboy Bebop*
Space Dandy*
Gurren Lagann
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

*these all air/have aired in Toonami/Adult Swim but you never know you might've missed one of these.

If you don't mind going into fantasy territory there's a bit more there. I've found anime lacking in sci-fi for the most part, at least in the 'non gundam/mecha' category.

Thanks for the recs! I've already seen or tried to watch most of those, but I'll put Yamato 2199 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes on my list! I've been kinda curious about the Space Battleship Yamato/Captain Harlock stuff for a while but was never sure where to start. And yeah, I know scifi stuff isn't always about action stuff, I actually really like the stuff based around drama with a scifi backdrop like No. 6 and Crest of the Stars series.

I'm also debating between watching the Steins Gate anime or getting the VN when the official translation is released.

I'd be more interested in fantasy stuff but aside from the Berserker manga and very few shows, I've never really gotten into fantasy stuff. I enjoyed the Record of Lodoss War animes when I watched them, but I was a lot younger then. I really liked Attack on Titan and can't wait for the next season. And it seems like I'm one of the few that really liked the original Last Exile anime (not sure if that's considered fantasy or steampunk or both). I also liked Log Horizon but don't know if that's considered Scifi or Fantasy. I watched the first half of Sword Art Online, which was a pretty similar show, thought it was okay, and then bailed out when the first story arc finishes. Aside from that most of the fantasy stuff I've tried to watch hasn't really grabbed me. But I don't really know many shows in the genre, so feel free to recommend something you think I'll enjoy!

Thanks again for the recs!

VRMN

Haven't read the manga so that makes sense.

There aren't a lot of problems with season one's adaptation, but they did cut out some things to make it stand alone more. The biggest change remains a spoiler for future season two events, but I'll put it this way. As a manga reader, I read Miyu's anger in season one towards Illya as /feigned/ anger because in the manga version, it was more of a "I understand. We'll deal with it by ourselves. I'll protect you." (If I remember correctly, Miyu's blowup after the Assassin fight wasn't in the manga at all.)

This was kept to a degree, which left me a bit blind to anime-only viewers' take on the whole thing, where it was an external conflict as opposed to an internal one. This wasn't helped by the altered (for the same reasons) conversation between Illya and Iri, which was changed into much more of a "friends are important" thing than it was in the original, again, to let them end it in season one if need be. Interestingly, 2wei is leaving its foreshadowing of 3rei entirely intact, which is very interesting to me (someone hoping 3rei gets adapted as well).

TL;DR: The first manga series had a lot of foreshadowing of 2wei in it. The first anime took much of it out. This altered Miyu's motivations a small bit, leading to the seemingly repetitive nature of the whole "my wish to be normal again is hurting my friends" thing.

Also Kuro is overreacting to a pretty standard reluctant hero desire even absent this, but that's a matter for later.

Mature

Just going off mecha and sci-fi:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Ghost in the Shell (Movies or Stand Alone Complex)
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Macross Plus
Mobile Police Patlabor (Movies or TV series)
Gunbuster
Serial Experiments Lain
From the New World
Space Battleship Yamato 2199

And you've said you've exhausted most of the Gundam series but have you watched Gundam Build Fighters?

Took a break from Ergo and decided to finally watch Golden Boy.

What an awesome, awesome, funny show. The main character is a straight up boss. Though his obsession with recently-sat-on-by-women toilets is a bit insane. This show kinda reminds me of Space Dandy, in that the main character is doing something/going somewhere different every episode. I know it's a weird comparison to make, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

I really, really wish there were more episodes. The show deserved it. Maybe one day someone will bring it back? Please?

Edit: Is the manga worth a read?

Taruranto

Check Toward the Terra and Fantastic Children. Also Shinsekai Yori.

Clannad After Story 5

So the robot is close to her own weight, judging be the seesaw? Yet she can easily lift it?

The robot is a bunch of metal...

And speaking of strong women...poor Sunohara.

Don't feel bad for him. He reaps what he sows. :p

Sunohara flinching simply at Tomoyo's presence. Dat conditioning.

Love it.

This is quite therapeutic after how much of an asshat he was in the previous arc.

Lol!!!

What?
A charm with a light that can grant wishes? Take it to her? Is the cat the one saying this? What is going on?

All will be explained. It always is.

Igarashi's a bit of a jerk, asking a third party to relate that information.

It was well meaning but yeah I thought the same thing. At least have the decency to face the person your denying.

Yeah, this is getting really fucked up.

Yup.

I hate, hate, hate this ED. Terrible tonal shift and annoying to boot.

Not a fan of it either. Really the only thing in AS that really annoyed me. It has a nice payoff in a single episode but it still has a bad tonal shift for some episodes. Especially the more emotional ones. The ED I try to skip when I know it's coming. (And most of the time you know when it's coming)

Ryuuroden

I'm doing you a favor. The dub is amazing

Outside of themes and implications I'll still largely consider From the New World a fantasy series. Penguindrum as well (never really thought about it, but I tend to block out this show).

But agreed though, new stuff in sci-fi has been largely meh. Even Aldnoah.Zero is struggling to not suck. Which could be solved if they focused on Slaine instead of wanna-be onii-sama.

People can't tell the difference between what is Science Fiction and what is Science Fantasy. They are 2 different genres and I've given up on people ever understanding that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom