• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokyo Ghoul 6

Such a religious show. I'm glad that the ever-bright light of our lord and savior Jesus Christ reaches those non-believing Ghouls right when the gore appears so they can think twice about showing their gross gore and violence. I mean how do they expect us to enjoy a show that is not about the battles with you know, violence. Gross. Thank you Jesus.

Also
the forced Bambi mom scene and the dad carrying a fucking drawing his daughter made for him is fucking laughably shoddy writing to get me to feel something

Rumbling Hearts 14 END

So we end up right back to where we started. What was the point of all of this again?

I need to gather my thoughts before I do my final series impressions...

The point is that Mike played you like a flute. It's time to pay the piper.

Zankyou no Terror - 05

Oh wow proper English voice acting, someone actually has budget to spend I see! Oh man this was the best episode yet.
Watching Five clown the shit out of them while they tried their best not to end up mass murderers was great. Plus the fact the the government had a hand in making sure the bombs went off made it even better. I'm gonna like this Five girl.
Course looks like my theory about Lisa being nothing to the story but eventual eyecandy for the boys to conflict over is becoming true.

Terror in Resonance Episode 4/5

These were pretty great episodes. It kept me engaged throughout the episodes with the new developments. And we even got a new rival for Nine and Twelve to keep things interesting. I even felt tension for the subway incident since things looked a bit dire. I also have to add that the OST is amazing, it really adds to the atmosphere.

About Lisa there definitely has to be a reason why she would be in the show.

cajunator

Banned
In case someone hadn't answered yet in the 20-some pages between the post and the (current) end of the thread, it's "Thank You!!" by Home Made Kazoku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvYuf4r-8xk

Drove me crazy for a bit since it sounded familiar! Luckily it was one of the first few artists I checked.

Ohhh shit. I recognize this definitely!
I dont remember what show it was from.

VtLRVPn.jpg

Well Minnie May has him halfway covered (the bombs part)

mankoto

Glasslip 6
Hiro was so close this time but of course someone messed it up. If Kakeru weren't purposefully pushing the wrong buttons maybe something could've happened.

Tokyo Ghoul 6

Such a religious show. I'm glad that the ever-bright light of our lord and savior Jesus Christ reaches those non-believing Ghouls right when the gore appears so they can think twice about showing their gross gore and violence. I mean how do they expect us to enjoy a show that is not about the battles with you know, violence. Gross. Thank you Jesus.

Also
the forced Bambi mom scene and the dad carrying a fucking drawing his daughter made for him is fucking laughably shoddy writing to get me to feel something

The point is that Mike played you like a flute. It's time to pay the piper.

Well they are trying to make money out of the BD through censoring, to get more people to buy it.

Chariot

I've only seen two episodes of Terror in Tokes but hearing this is very discouraging.
She isn't a big thing so far, to ridiculous amounts. She is completely superfluous and adds little to nothing to the actual plot, but on the other hand she don't have much screentime either. Terror in Resonance is only tainted by her because there is not much else to complain about and there is still hope that her existence has a point, some day, some time.

Lisa is useless moe. What's there to understand people?

That's a bit unfair to the writing. I don't think we need to assume she's just a useless moe character when this is the only episode she's displayed any traits outside of depressed/zoned out face.

But you were probably kidding.

Almost time to go watch GOTG. It looks very anime with its silliness.
Favorite Marvel film now. Hilarious dialogue. Also Chris Pratt becoming mainstream is awesome, such a likable humble actor. Also he can drop dem beats yo

mankoto

Lisa is useless moe. What's there to understand people?

41717.png

This isn't moe. This is absolute uselessness. Twelve is more moe than she is.

In all seriousness, she'll probably have one big scene that redeems her. Whether she can pull it off or not, is in question however.

Terror in Resonance 5

Hey finally, a episode I have something positive to say!
The difference here, more than a radical depart of the previous style, seems to be that they have finished in the "introductory arc" and now they are starting the middle arc of the story, the one more meaty and where the true plot reveals and there can be interesting twists.

-We learn their objectives weren't random, they are tied by important officials and politicians. I suppose they were behind the "secret installation with children"?
-And the detective is also behind that clue
-They never wanted victims in first place. Which is a bit lol (there has to be better ways to call attention from the public and police than in that way) but whatever.
-Five appears but it's an antagonist. Precisely because they failed to escape with her and had to be left in the installation, she went formed and brainwashed (?) for more years and now it's part of the enemy.
-The triangle between Nine/Twelve, Five and Shibazaki is promising.
-The surprise with the problem deactivating the bomb and all that scene was good.

That's a bit unfair to the writing. I don't think we need to assume she's just a useless moe character when this is the only episode she's displayed any traits outside of depressed/zoned out face.

But you were probably kidding.
Half kidding half serious.

41717.png

This isn't mod. This is absolute uselessness. Twelve is more moe than she is.

In all seriousness, she'll probably have one big scene that redeems her. Whether she can pull it off or not, is in question however.
You're probably right here. I guess I expect at some vital moment she'll show some worth but it'll feel so hollow to me if that ends up being her purpose.

Now if she is somehow helpful to them or does some things to move the plot along at points I may change my tune.

Does she really need to show her worth for her to have an impact in the story? Maybe she's there on her own journey of self-discovery, a B plot to the main story?

edit: to be more direct, I'm not being a devil's advocate for the sake of being one. I'm just arguing that there seems to be this idea that every character or scene must have a point that directly plays into a story. But sometimes there are B plots that are used to provide further analysis into a character or a plot point. For example, look at the pirates story in the Watchmen comic.

Tokyo Ghoul Episode 6

Pretty good episode. I mean we got to see Touka best girl fight with her Kagune. Which looked pretty animated. Then Nishio joining the ghoul club. I felt bad for Hinami losing her dad and then being separated from her mom. It's tough being a ghoul. Gotta say though the OST is really good.

After listening to the Opening a bit more, yeah it's one of the best this season. And also this anime is definitely mainly for advertising the manga.

YuruYuri 10

The Akarin curse has affected four characters this episode. Poor Akari!!

Episode was mild fun.

YuruYuri 11

Much better episode. Little back story for all four main characters. Akari used to have much more of a presence. Akari honestly makes this show funnier. "I know nothing, I saw nothing". Lol. I like how she went slightly insane at the end of the episode and was center of attention for a few seconds before they took that away from her.

Poor Akarin!!!

mankoto

Does she really need to show her worth for her to have an impact in the story? Maybe she's there on her own journey of self-discovery, a B plot to the main story?

edit: to be more direct, I'm not being a devil's advocate for the sake of being one. I'm just arguing that there seems to be this idea that every character or scene must have a point that directly plays into a story. But sometimes there are B plots that are used to provide further analysis into a character or a plot point. For example, look at the pirates story in the Watchmen comic.

It's just how the story is written. Everything seems to be happening for a reason. Like how we found out the bombings weren't in random places. I highly doubt someone as messed up as Lisa has an agenda of her own that isn't finding some sort of secure place to stay right now.

Sure since the beginning she was the B plot to this story, but now that she's with them and how she's subtly suggesting to live there, it makes it look like she'll be there for the rest of the ride making her part of the main plot.

mankoto

Tokyo Ghoul 6
Ah. Now I understand. What they were doing is that they were adapting all of the other arcs first. Getting what would seem like filler out of the way early. From here on it'll be nothing but dealing with the Doves. It's weird, but I'll roll with it.

Rumbling Hearts Final Impressions *Minor Unmarked Spoilers Ahead*

EP1 | EP2 | EP3 | EP4 | EP5 | EP6 | EP7 | EP8 | EP9 | EP10 | EP11 | EP12 | EP13 | EP14

So ends another watchbet. What starts as a fairly generic highschool romance turns ugly quick. Takayuki's girlfriend, Haruka, who he is in a relationship with her for an unspecified amount of time (it seems like only a few months) gets into an accident and is left in the hospital in a coma for three years. In the mean time, Takayuki finds companionship in Haruka's best friend Mitsuki. Suddenly Haruka wakes up and drama ensues.

I don't know who this doctor is but she should have license revoked. Who thought it would be a good idea to tell a coma patient that they lost three years of their life? Sure don't drop the bomb right away but don't straight up lie to them for months. Since Haruka believes she is still in a relationship with Takayuki, he is asked to play the boyfriend role while she recovers. Of course this causes jealous feelings for Mitsuki as she has been dating him for three years and was the one who snapped him out of his depression after Haruka's accident.

Enough of plot explanation, let's move on to characters.

Takayuki is painted as the good guy who tries to make everyone happy protagonist. Not only does this not work but it just sparks drama and hatred towards him. He doesn't know who he wants to stay with and it just causes problems for everyone involved. He is also a complete and utter dunce. He doesn't realize what he is doing is hurting others and goes about his merry way to try and please everyone.

Mitsuki tries to be there for him but gets extremely jealous when Haruka awakens. She starts to dive into a depression about losing her boyfriend to a ghost who hasn't been a part of their lives for three years. She makes awful decisions, is doing terribly at work yet somehow she finds redemption at the end when I personally believe she should have been cast aside.
Who cheats and gets away with it? Mitsuki does!

Haruka who has awakened and when finally told that three years have past distances herself from everyone in her past life. They tried so hard to accommodate her yet when she learns the truth she wants nothing to do with them. Well, they did lie to her so I guess I can sort of see where she is coming from. Her sister was also especially cruel to Takayuki and Mitsuki. Your sister has been in a coma for three years, people moved on with their lives, get over it.

The drama is done so heavy handedly and forced with stupid decisions being made left and right. Let's lie to the coma patient about the passage of time yet when she finally starts to piece things together lets dump everything on her all at once. Almost every single character made at least one horrible decision throughout the anime. The ending was completely dumbfounding. What exactly was the point of this if we just end up right back to the beginning? That no matter what, love conquers all and we will always be together? Give me a break. At least the picture book ending had great art and the insert song was pleasing to listen to.

TLDR: Nothing is very interesting or good about this anime. Skip it and be happy with your life.

I give this anime a 4/10. None of the characters are very likeable, the drama comes off as forced, the animation and soundtrack are very generic and everything about it is average.

I would never take a doctor with that hair seriously.

Never mind the doctor, what kind of parents would straight up LIE to their child that three years haven't passed? Why would they even bother listening to her?

And they actually keep it up for months? How the hell did they do that?!? Hide calendars from her the rest of her life? How about seeing movies? I'm sure all of the coming attractions would feel pretty weird seeing as they're going to be released three or four years into the future! Not to mention there's magazines, television, computers, and tons of other everyday life stuff that shows a date!

Puruzi

Banned
Anyone watch C3/CubexCursedxCurious? I feel like I want to watch it, but I know nothing about it, and want to know if anyone that has seen it thinks it's good

Midonin

Anyone watch C3/CubexCursedxCurious? I feel like I want to watch it, but I know nothing about it, and want to know if anyone that has seen it thinks it's good
It's a rom-com/supernatural battle anime based around anthropomorphized torture devices, and I found it enjoyable. The "darkness" level tones itself down after the first three or so episodes, but it remains on the bleaker side of things as it goes on, though not without its comedy. It's not the worst thing. The contrast in its tones is part of its appeal.

mankoto

I remember putting it on hold after episode 3 because something happened that I didn't like. Can't remember what though. Otherwise, I guess it was okay for those 3 episodes I saw it.

The contrast in its tones is part of its appeal.
That might have been why I put it on hold... At the time it didn't feel right.

It's not that bad.

It's above average at least ..
The whole cast is uneven and the fights are "ok"

Not a bad thing to watch , not a masterpiece

Ergo Proxy 1-10

It's been ten episodes now and I still have no idea what direction the plot is heading in. It's moving at such a snail's pace, in my opinion.

Sure, some things are happening -- Proxies have been revealed, the earth is fucked apparently, and Vincent (and basically everything happening outside of the dome) is depressing as shit. But where is it all going? I know there's still like half a season, but maaaan, it's so slow.

This is the first time in a long while where I've been just straight up indifferent on something. I will go on and finish the whole thing as I'd like to see where it ends, but this show is kinda disappointing so far.

Edit: Oh, and Chief of Security dude needs to go. I hate his character.

survivor

Banned
Saw the first episode of Earth Maiden Arjuna. I'm sorta conflicted on the visuals for it. There are some scenes which I think looked cool and liked what they were going for. But then I see some of the CG or some of the colouring and it's just off-putting. Outside of that, the episode was serviceable in the setup of a high school protagonist getting superpowers to save the world. Music was great too.

mankoto

P4TGA 5
At this point I really should use one of my save files to do Marie's S.Link so I can get to her dungeon. I doubt there is a real connection to Adachi like the end implied, but it's high time I get to it.

Thoraxes

Saw the first episode of Earth Maiden Arjuna. I'm sorta conflicted on the visuals for it. There are some scenes which I think looked cool and liked what they were going for. But then I see some of the CG or some of the colouring and it's just off-putting. Outside of that, the episode was serviceable in the setup of a high school protagonist getting superpowers to save the world. Music was great too.

Well, this thread just got a lot more interesting.

Zankyou no Terror - 05

OMG what an episode

WHAT AN EPISODE

In term of WTF , twists and suspense that episode was magnificent.

10/10 episode

I'm now hyped LIKE CRAZY

Post your impressions HERE , after each episode

Terror in Resonance - 5

This episode went by quickly. I found it funny that they would use the fifth episode to introduce 5.

Still a very solid series even if I have a few problems with it. I seem down on it at times, but it is still one of the better looking, and better paced shows I have seen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow. I'm stunned. He was one of the honest-to-god most intelligent people I ever talked with. I asked for his advice often and I always appreciated when he contacted me unsolicited to tell me what he thought. I have plenty of friends, but I have very few that I respected as much as I respected him on an intellectual, critical, analytical level. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom