• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I'm glad to hear it improves after 34. I realize shonen can take a while to open up, i.e. Arlong Park is when One Piece shows its potential.

Sounds like you are around the point where they are just introducing Nen. HxH is better than most shonen for a number of reasons. For one, fights typically prioritize strategy over power levels. HxH is very good at not having power creep. The story and characters are extremely well written and it very often goes in directions you'd never expect from a shonen series. It makes things very unpredictable.

On the anime side of things, it's animated by Madhouse so it looks better than any other long running shonen series and it has very little to no filler.

Rumbling Hearts 13

Mitsuki is ruining everyone's life because no one can move on after 3 years worth of time.

One episode to go...
The whole show would've been better if she was dead. It would solve every drama point and wouldn't have caused guilty mc of ignoring best girl (not sure when this happened so I'd say don't read phoenix)
Well best girl until she sleeps with someone else

Tokyo Ghoul - 6

After 6 episodes, I'm thinking of dropping it. It just doesn't do anything for me: it's not bad enough for me to watch it out of morbid curiosity (like I did with Hamatora) but it's also not that good. People who read the manga: does it get better than this?

Terror in Resonance 4
terror-in-resonance-1.png

Things are about to get real interesting.

Seems Lisa now wants to be apart of this little group and the police
"cheated" so now all the evidence is being leaked out which if the populace finds out about the stolen nuclear plutonium is going to cause widespread panic and chaos.

I look forward to the next episode. :)

mankoto

Tokyo Ghoul - 6

After 6 episodes, I'm thinking of dropping it. It just doesn't do anything for me: it's not bad enough for me to watch it out of morbid curiosity (like I did with Hamatora) but it's also not that good. People who read the manga: does it get better than this?
The anime adapts it out of order causing the story and some arcs to not come out as good as their manga counterpart. So, in short, yes. The manga is better.

Tokyo Ghoul - 6

The thing is they are rearranging the arcs so it's just better reading the manga especially for Kaneki's development.

Though as a standalone the anime is good but it could of been done better. The manga is the way to go.

cajunator

Banned
Had to double check that this wasn't Cajun.

Why didja think it was me??

Rumbling Hearts 13

Mitsuki is ruining everyone's life because no one can move on after 3 years worth of time.

One episode to go...

Soon you will be finished with this torment. Im glad you are ok!

No Game No Life 8

Meh. I really dug each episode, but this one simply felt...average I want to say. Maybe I don't care for Shiro as much, but she isn't as fun to watch as Sora. At least he's back in the picture and the major battle can begin soon! I have a fairly decent idea where this season shall end, but I'll probably be wrong on that front.

The hype is pretty massive on Gaf, especially when people ask for new anime. Plus it constantly ranks on the AOTY threads. But I'm happy the good parts are still ahead of me. It's a pretty decent show thus far though.

That was a weird episode. Basically the most contrived episode in the whole show and basically impossible. But it was creative and the solution was fun so Im ok with it.

Kite

Ok anime-gaf I need your help; how violent is the first season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and is it more objectionable than Attack on Titan?

Back story: I'm an officer at my uni's anime club and one of our weekly meetings is held at a "religious" building on campus, so for that Friday meetings we gotta make sure nothing shown is offensive. We showed AoT and Ghost in the Shell: SAC last semester and no one had an issue with people getting nomnomed by giants or robot geishas getting blown up, but now some of the former officers are raising concerns over JoJo.. I screened the first 2 eps and didn't see anything too bad..

So I'm asking for thoughts and opinions, and if anyone has links to clips of the most violent scenes from JoJo's so we can judge how gory the show can get. Thanks!

There's some, and I mean not too much, sexual stuff in Jojo. Like I said not terribly much but there's also a relationship misunderstandings in season 2 that might cause issues for religious individuals

cajunator

Banned
Ok anime-gaf I need your help; how violent is the first season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and is it more objectionable than Attack on Titan?

Back story: I'm an officer at my uni's anime club and one of our weekly meetings is held at a "religious" building on campus, so for that Friday meetings we gotta make sure nothing shown is offensive. We showed AoT and Ghost in the Shell: SAC last semester and no one had an issue with people getting nomnomed by giants or robot geishas getting blown up, but now some of the former officers are raising concerns over JoJo.. I screened the first 2 eps and didn't see anything too bad..

So I'm asking for thoughts and opinions, and if anyone has links to clips of the most violent scenes from JoJo's so we can judge how gory the show can get. Thanks!

HArd to say, because religious folks are set off pretty easily, but jojo's isnt that kind of show.

Ergo Proxy can be kinda depressing at times. It reminds me of Casshern Sins a bit, especially when on earth/outside the dome or whatever. Actually, this show is just weird. I'm enjoying it, but the pacing kinda sucks.

Chariot

Yeah, it's difficult to say, since it depends on the person. Jojo isn't really offensive in itself, but I could see that there a few things that could offended by some aspects or scenes of it. It isn't an anime I would choose if I wanna to play safe.

Theonik

There's some, and I mean not too much, sexual stuff in Jojo. Like I said not terribly much but there's also a relationship misunderstandings in season 2 that might cause issues for religious individuals
I am trying to contextualise it based on this:
We showed AoT and Ghost in the Shell: SAC last semester and no one had an issue with people getting nomnomed by giants or robot geishas getting blown up, but now some of the former officers are raising concerns over JoJo..
If they are OK with that... I don't see much with JoJo. One of the goriest scenes was in episode one with the carriage crash but that was censored on the TV version.

Taruranto

Is Psycho Pass good? Got added on Netflix.

Characters are abyssal, script was atrocious, filled with ridiculous exposition and literature references to sound deep.

Pacing for the first half is abyssal and it's like watching the main characters walking in circle.

Rhapsody

Banned
I like HxH but Yu Yu Hakusho up until the dark tournament is still something I'd rank higher. For that matter I'd also rank Fullmetal alchemist higher.

Unrelated but there's a trope in anime with battles that is really starting to bother me: whenever you introduce a group of baddies who are assassins/hunting/opposing the main group. It's happened too many times and it really bothers me now if their only purpose is to add more sweet battles. Especially if they have one of those shots of the whole group standing from a building looking down upon the city, a couple of them doing that "I lick knives" face and maybe a battle bra female.

Especially when that group takes forever to beat for no reason. You basically know it's going to be awhile until the story progresses again.

Terror in Resonance 5
Pretty exciting episode with a new character/faction. Someone who can outwit 9 and 12 and
almost make them mass murderers which I would imagine, would work against their plans since it would bring bigger forces which they can't manipulate as easily

Kite

Thanks for the responses so far, you are all pretty much confirming what I thought. But it looks like we may just dodge the issue and swap JoJo's to our Wed meetings where almost anything goes (We're watching the Ghost Stories english dub lol!). But it's gonna mess up our schedule and force us to drop a show or two which really annoys me. *sigh*

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, it's difficult to say, since it depends on the person. Jojo isn't really offensive in itself, but I could see that there a few things that could offended by some aspects or scenes of it. It isn't an anime I would choose if I wanna to play safe.

Yeah Im trying to figure out why he chose that show from everything.
But its kinda lame he has to watch stuff inside a religious building. Our university club was held in an art building so anything was ok lol.

Nordicus

We're watching the Ghost Stories english dub lol!
See, I think even as funny as the dub is, that dub might cause more issues that Jojo. The jokes might rub someone the wrong way

Edit: oh, on Wednesdays anything goes? alright nevermind then

Necrovex

Yeah Im trying to figure out why he chose that show from everything.
But its kinda lame he has to watch stuff inside a religious building. Our university club was held in an art building so anything was ok lol.

He should show Bible Black. That should be ok, right?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Terror In Resonance Episode 5:

This is a series that is getting mostly better and better with each episode. Indeed, this time around the formula is shaken before it can get stale and
I am most interested in Five, and evil chessmaster who has outflanked Nine and Twelve so very effortlessly. That was really intense and dramatic and Five clearly has less scruples then her counterparts. Sadly, Shibuzaki kind of got sidelined this episode after solving the riddle and while he is clearly making new moments in new directions, he was kind of reduced to the 1980s movie cop on the edge and little else. Anyway, it has become increasingly clear that Lisa is the albatross around the neck of Terror in Resonance, they have no fucking clue what to do with her even in the company of Nine and Twelve. Seriously, if you cut her out of this episode you would lose nothing except for stale high school slice of tropes that don't fit here.
Before you panic, no fast forwarding was involved this week, but damn if I was not tempted, Lisa is just useless and she is awful and I hate her.

Terror In Resonance Episode 5:

This is a series that is getting mostly better and better with each episode. Indeed, this time around the formula is shaken before it can get stale and
I am most interested in Five, and evil chessmaster who has outflanked Nine and Twelve so very effortlessly. That was really intense and dramatic and Five clearly has less scruples then her counterparts. Sadly, Shibuzaki kind of got sidelined this episode after solving the riddle and while he is clearly making new moments in new directions, he was kind of reduced to the 1980s movie cop on the edge and little else. Anyway, it has become increasingly clear that Lisa is the albatross around the neck of Terror in Resonance, they have no fucking clue what to do with her even in the company of Nine and Twelve. Seriously, if you cut her out of this episode you would lose nothing except for stale high school slice of tropes that don't fit here.
Before you panic, no fast forwarding was involved this week, but damn if I was not tempted, Lisa is just useless and she is awful and I hate her.

Your hate will slowly turn into love for Lisa. Believe it.

Terror in Resonance 5

Oh hey the show did what it needed in changing the formula to make it exciting again. Good for you show. Looking forward to the next episode to see where this development goes.
Is she Nine's waifu? We'll have to see.

Chariot

I'm guessing
she will play a part in bringing down the terrorist down. Most possibly the detective guy making the connection between her and the terrorist.
That would be terrible.
Then her role would be literally nothing else but be a bother. I am looking for her to become a able terrorist herself and being a hidden wild card to work against for the police and any other enemy.
Hellsing Ultimate would also be good

The series is full of such great rolemodels
Hellsing has very commited members of the church. Lack of faith is not an issue. AMEN!

mhs004

That would be terrible.
Then her role would be literally nothing else but be a bother. I am looking for her to become a able terrorist herself and being a hidden wild card to work against for the police and any other enemy.Hellsing has very commited members of the church. Lack of faith is not an issue. AMEN!

It's anime.....that's not going to happen.

Clov

That would be terrible.
Then her role would be literally nothing else but be a bother. I am looking for her to become a able terrorist herself and being a hidden wild card to work against for the police and any other enemy.

That's honestly what I'm expecting. It would make the most sense at this point if she started to help them, I think.

mankoto

I dearly hope so because this uselessness is frustrating.
It seems like they made enough implications that there's going to be a repeat with that incident with Five in their past. Obviously someone who's actually competent wouldn't cause that to happen, but someone as messed up as Lisa makes it easy. Whether her screw up during the potential getaway takes them down due them possibly trying to go back for her as redemption for 5, who knows.

Although, I hope she actually does change... Or at least learn how to cook so she isn't completely worthless.

Chariot

It's anime.....that's not going to happen.
Growth and being strangely helpful at a crucial point is a common occurrence in anime, especially for someone who appears useless at first. While it don't have to happen I sincerely think that it might.

Which is probably why it won't happen. My long term predictions were never, not even once, correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom