• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all you guys from the bottom of my little cajun heart and losing any of you would be devastating to me.
Perhaps you can see that through all the infighting and judging and arguing from community to community we are all Gaf brothers and sisters and the loss of one affects all of us.
You are my favorite forum and I feel priveleged to be among you.
Even if we dont always get along I will always have your back when reality hits.
You all mean so much to me.

Ditto. Everyone here means a lot to me even if I may butt heads with some.

I am so glad to know each and every one of you. You have a big heart Cajun. I have no ill will to anyone here. I hope this brings us all closer together. Life is too short.

Stuart444

So I don't post here much but I do like to lurk the threads at times and well...

I just want to say, Hito was a great poster, intelligent and articulate. I honestly wish I had the chance to know him better, pm him or something. I had even thought about it, just striking up a conversation over his avatar. (Favourite Sailor Guardian for me <3 ) Or something.

I've never done good with dealing with death, even last year in July when I lost both my Gran and my childhood friend, I had no idea what to feel. I spend some days upset, didn't know if I should laugh and joke or cry or both.

The one thing that did help is talking for me which I support is the main point of posting here and on other places. Talking even if no one listens helps, lets it all out.

Heh, even now, I'm starting to tear up typing this.

RIP Hitokage, I'll miss you and your Mercury avatar around here. :(

Even if I could cry, it wouldn't feel right given that I hardly knew him. I had respect for him, even though we didn't see eye to eye on things.

Syrinx

I just need to say, if anybody on here ever really needs to talk about something, I will listen. I mean, I'm not nearly as smart or as eloquent as Hito was, nor do I have his world experience. I can't say my advice will be as good as the advice he would give, or that I'll even be able to give advice. But I will listen.

Phatmac

Finally finished watching it and wow..dunno if I'm just a sucker for well told love stories but this one really touched me. Loved how it ended with a mature look instead of choosing the easy route of escaping. Tiger and dragon forever. <3

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hito was a great guy. Was always fun to talk anime to. Told him I would get around to finishing PGSM, never did.

Time to marathon it for him!

NewFresh

I feel like I should post something here since this is where most of my interaction with Hito happened, but I don't know what. I've been away from animegaf a lot lately, but times like this make me wish I didn't. Maybe then I could have told him how much of a great friend he was.

I'm sorry for intruding. I just needed to vent out.

Regulus, I feel the same way. I feel almost guilty for not participating more. I don't think you are intruding.

I can't say I really knew him well, as I only joined GAF a couple of years ago. But there's seemingly no end to the good things that I've heard about him. It saddens me that the world lost such a person, especially one so young.

jgminto

Kinda funny, Hito actually played unknowing matchmaker for me and my boyfriend. If I hadn't started a conversation with him on a certain topic in the irc I probably never would have started talking to my then-future boyfriend about the same topic. That was just over a year ago now...it's kinda crazy to think about. I'll always be super grateful to him for that, even if he has no idea he did it lol. He was also just a cool guy. I'm not going to pretend we were BFFs or anything
and it's kind of weird to see some people act like they were closer with him than they actually were
but I enjoyed talking to him when I did and I wish I did more when I could.

Might as well start this up again sooner rather than later...

Ojamajo Doremi - 4

So the other two girls get their magic powers and the goal is set. Sell magic items to people so they can pass the witch exams.

Man, I remember when I said I'd watch this show LAST YEAR after I finished watching Nanoha for the first time. Can you imagine how he must have felt? Waiting for my impressions past episode 1 and never getting them? And that was after I shat on the show just because I watched parts of the 4Kids version and didn't know what the subbed version had to offer.

I felt bad about it back then but...now I feel really horrible about it. :(

zulux21

tokyo ghoul 6
the whole shift in arc felt really forced... but I suppose that was to be expected when it's happening when it's not supposed to. Beyond that the episode was ok.

Watamote 1-4
The english dub on this thing isn't bad at all... still think the opening is easily the best thing about this series so far though... likely because I don't like the main character.

As for Hito, my condolences to those who have lost a friend. I didn't interact with him enough to have any memories of interacting with him, but it's obvious he was dear to a number of you and that it will be a loss for the community in general.

Phatmac

Sorry everyone just finished seeing an anime series but didn't realize everyone was dealing with a fellow neogafer's death. Apologizes for interrupting this... :(

Stuart444

Hito was a great guy. Was always fun to talk anime to. Told him I would get around to finishing PGSM, never did.

Time to marathon it for him!

You make me want to marathon it now. Has one of the best arcs as well. (PGSM only, won't say incase you haven't seen it yet).

Finally finished watching it and wow..dunno if I'm just a sucker for well told love stories but this one really touched me. Loved how it ended with a mature look instead of choosing the easy route of escaping. Tiger and dragon forever. <3

Toradora is a terrific show.

Kinda funny, Hito actually played unknowing matchmaker for me and my boyfriend. If I hadn't started a conversation with him on a certain topic in the irc I probably never would have started talking to my then-future boyfriend about the same topic. That was just over a year ago now...it's kinda crazy to think about. I'll always be super grateful to him for that, even if he has no idea he did it lol. He was also just a cool guy. I'm not going to pretend we were BFFs or anything
and it's kind of weird to see some people act like they were closer with him than they actually were
but I enjoyed talking to him when I did and I wish I did more when I could.

Wow. That's quite the story.

Sorry everyone just finished seeing an anime series but didn't realize everyone was dealing with a fellow neogafer's death. Apologizes for interrupting this... :(

You are fine. This is the anime thread. We are just going to be talking about this for a while. If people post anime impressions and reviews you can't be faulted.

Syrinx

I never did watch PGSM. Guess I should at least get on that. And Urusei Yatsura. And Maison Ikkoku.

Shit, there's probably a bunch of great shows he recommended that I never got around to.

zulux21

My wife and I finished the show via dub not to long ago.
Her post show reactions have been amusing.
Immediately after: it was a decent show.
a few hours later: can you get me the openings and endings cause I kind of liked them.
The next day: "So I was at work and was excited to come home because I could watch more Toradora but then I got sad because I realized I didn't have anymore to watch."
The day after that: "I was depressed because I was out of Toradora... I guess I liked it more then I thought."
The next week: "Yeah i can't watch anything like Toradora because I have to have a cooling period in between shows I really like and shows like it."

I plan on showing her pet girl since she liked Toradora, just have to get past her cooling period.

I never did watch PGSM. Guess I should at least get on that. And Urusei Yatsura. And Maison Ikkoku.

Shit, there's probably a bunch of great shows he recommended that I never got around to.

PGSM is pretty guardian salior moon right? If so my plan for that is to just wait for the new uncut english dub since I detest sailor moon's voice actress.
I tried watching Ursei Yatsura but I didn't get far.
Maison Ikkoku was the main reason I quoted your post though. That is a great show, I enjoyed it quite a bit more then I expected and then I got really depressed when I went to buy it on dvd and saw it would cost like $900 to own it because the last few parts are like 150-300 each since it's out of print >.<;

I hold you guys very dearly to my heart. Heck I look forward to seeing new responses here every day. I've been largely watching anime by myself for so long. The small forum I frequent didn't really have enough members to discuss anime with, and my friends only watch when I sit down and watch shows with them. And I refused to take part in MAL discussions because frankly the system and users scared me for different reasons. I found this community in GAF and I was delighted to have kindred spirits. I butt heads with many of you because frankly I'm stubborn with my taste. Hito was one of the people I butted heads with early on, but it was great because it was a new experience and it helped me grow and expand my tastes. I thank you all for that. I won't lie and say I'm devastated. I didn't know him that well. I'm very sad because I know the feeling of losing a good friend and I know many of you are going through that. What I feel is also a deep regret of a missed opportunity. I wanted to get to know him, and all of you for that matter. We have something that unites us all:

A distaste for Kirito. And our love of anime. Never change AnimeGAF and rest in peace Hito. If the thread showed me anything is that many here respected you, as did I.

a few hours later: can you get me the openings and endings cause I kind of liked them.
The next day: "So I was at work and was excited to come home because I could watch more Toradora but then I got sad because I realized I didn't have anymore to watch."
The day after that: "I was depressed because I was out of Toradora... I guess I liked it more then I thought."
The next week: "Yeah i can't watch anything like Toradora because I have to have a cooling period in between shows I really like and shows like it."

I plan on showing her pet girl since she liked Toradora, just have to get past her cooling period.

Maybe show Clannad + After Story after Pet Girl of Sakurasou. :p

zulux21

Maybe show Clannad + After Story after Pet Girl of Sakurasou. :p

clannad + after story is indeed something I plan to show her at some point. Just have to get her in the right mood as I know she is going to hate the first 10-15 episodes (as I wasn't a fan of them myself and our tastes are very close, I don't recall how many episodes exactly
but it's whenever we start mostly focusing on the main female
.) but she will trust me when I say the payoff after those episodes is worth it.

Fuck.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Just got back from lunch to this news and since 90% of my interaction with Hito was in this thread, it felt right to post here.

Goddammit. Hope you're in a better place. =(

Man you just reminded me that this was a show that I was holding off on

Stuart444

PGSM is pretty guardian salior moon right? If so my plan for that is to just wait for the new uncut english dub since I detest sailor moon's voice actress.

Typically when the PGSM acronym is used, it usually means the live action series as opposed to the anime series. (which I rarely hear PGSM used for it)

clannad + after story is indeed something I plan to show her at some point. Just have to get her in the right mood as I know she is going to hate the first 10-15 episodes (as I wasn't a fan of them myself and our tastes are very close, I don't recall how many episodes exactly
but it's whenever we start mostly focusing on the main female
.) but she will trust me when I say the payoff after those episodes is worth it.

I liked S1 but not nearly as much as AS. But I do understand when people say they didn't like the first few episodes or season. It is necessary to watch the first season to get attached to characters and see the progress they make through the whole series. The payoff is so good. :)

zulux21

Typically when the PGSM acronym is used, it usually means the live action series as opposed to the anime series. (which I rarely hear PGSM used for it)

Ah I see... I have no plans for watching that... in general I don't watch much of the live action stuff as it typically depresses me... The ouran high school host club live action though was bad in a good way though... at least the 3 episodes that actually got subbed that I watched.

I liked S1 but not nearly as much as AS. But I do understand when people say they didn't like the first few episodes or season. It is necessary to watch the first season to get attached to characters and see the progress they make through the whole series. The payoff is so good. :)

you are correct the first season is a must. If I thought that AS would be remotely as good just starting with it I would, but you need to see the journey on how they get there for it to have real feels.

Ugh, PGSM and Maison Ikkoku (manga not anime) are two of my favorite things. Knowing that Hito loved them too makes this harder. It's not like we talked much, but he was always there. IRC, animegaf, ponygaf. And now he's not.

All right AnimeGAF. Serial Experiment Lain, Haibane Renmei, Shinreigari Ghost Hound.

What order should I watch these? I'm planning on tackling these three shows from my backlog next, now the issue is which order.

Phatmac

I plan on showing her pet girl since she liked Toradora, just have to get past her cooling
Feel the same way. At first I thought it would be yet another dumb romance comedy show but it kept getting better with strong characters and just pure fun between the whole cast. It also had a lot of rough drama that surprised me. Man I love the first OP so much. So damn catchy.

All right AnimeGAF. Serial Experiment Lain, Haibane Renmei, Shinreigari Ghost Hound.

What order should I watch these? I'm planning on tackling these three shows from my backlog next, now the issue is which order.

Haibane Renmei is pretty good. I think some praise it a little too highly but it is a nice show, great theme/lesson and has a sort of nice melancholy to everything.

Feel the same way. At first I thought it would be yet another dumb romance comedy show but it kept getting better with strong characters and just pure fun between the whole cast. It also had a lot of rough drama that surprised me. Man I love the first OP so much. So damn catchy.

I know right. So damn catchy. Almost done with my rewatch of Toradora and experiencing the dub for the first time. So good. :)

Instro

I wouldn't say I knew him as well as some, but I got to know him well enough over my time on gaf, and obviously animegaf, to have a great deal of respect for Hito. He was always a fun guy to chat too, especially when it came to stuff like Sailor Moon. Watching the entire series and the live action series over the course of a summer a couple years ago was a very memorable experience. Really sad and shocked right now, especially after reading so many other posts remembering him.

Gazoinks

I haven't watched Ghost Hound (been meaning to), but I'd recommend putting something between Haibane and Lain. They're both great shows, but they're also both very atmospheric and deliberately paced, might cause fatigue. Maybe watch Gunbuster in between?

Phatmac

Toradora is a terrific show.

Wow. That's quite the story.

You are fine. This is the anime thread. We are just going to be talking about this for a while. If people post anime impressions and reviews you can't be faulted.
Yeah I know was just surprised/sad to read the thread and what happened. Didn't know Hito but from what I've read he seemed like a great person.

I haven't watched Ghost Hound (been meaning to), but I'd recommend putting something between Haibane and Lain. They're both great shows, but they're also both very atmospheric and deliberately paced, might cause fatigue. Maybe watch Gunbuster in between?

I just watched Kino, so you might have a good point. I heard Gunbuster is by Evangelion guy. Am I going to get oedipus complex?

Hito will be missed greatly. Kind feel bad not really remembering him too well. I will try to watch Doremi for him soon though.

Also that talk earlier in thread about Hito being a ghost passing on and now finding out he's dead is pretty creepy.

I haven't watched any of these, but Haibane Renmei is Cajun's favourite show, topping Kino's Journey which is his number 2. Apparently it's the greatest show ever made according to him. So maybe that'd be a good start.

I should probably add that to my Plan-to-Watch list as well..

I just watched Kino, so you might have a good point. I heard Gunbuster is by Evangelion guy. Am I going to get oedipus complex?

No way. Gunbuster is nothing like Evangelion (according to my knowledge). Nothing really super mind-screwy happens in it.

Also it came before Evangelion. It has a lot more in common with TTGL than it does with Eva.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom