• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappearance is totally up your alley. You'll love it.

Sounds like it.

Same, considering that Hyoka is definitely already in my top10, maybe top 5. And I've still got 5 episodes to go.

Hyouka is so good man. Really need me the Blu-rays. I want to see all that beautiful KyoAni animation on Blu-Ray.

From what I recall psyhco had the very wrong opinion that Kyon wasn't the best part of Haruhi, so maybe it isn't entirely for him. But maybe after this he'll see the light.

Yup. I thought Haruhi was the best part. She was quirky and fun. I liked Kyon for his wit but early on he bugged me. I came around to him as I watched. Still my favorite character is Haruhi followed by Kyon. Then followed by Kyon's sister.

It's not that unusual for an anime to have both a director and a series/chief director. Usually one is more hands-on and the other takes more of a producer's role.
Yeah, I figure the chief director is more like a producer. Though in the case of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Tatsuya Ishihara (chief director) had a hand in the storyboard process. I imagine that his main job was to make sure the movie meshed well with the television series, since he was the director of that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well... It was bound to happen again. lolol.

10375098_750567811668580_402931331331420673_n.jpg

Hmm, it's odd that in the case of Madoka Magica Shinbo was the director while Yukihiro Miyamoto was the "series director." For the movies, Miyamoto was the director while Shinbo was the chief director.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The real shame is that Kirito isn't at the top of both lists.

What a truly wasted opportunity.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aldnoah.Zero Episode 6

Well, from grand stupidity back to basic competency this week. Finally we get some backstory on the Aldnoah and it your bog standard an ancient super-weapon technology story. I will say that at this point Koichirō Marito is about the only character I actually care about, mainly because he is coming across as an actual human and it important to the proceedings.

/XX/

Or is in-between director different from animation director in some weird fashion? Like maybe keyframes only or something.
Due to the sheer amount of in-between sheets necessary, there is a intermediate staff post assigned to supervise those; 'animation check' (or 'in-between animation check'). The animation director mainly controls, corrects and returns key animation instead.

Thinking about credits, what are some good articles or documentaries on the production process for anime? I'm more interesting in the higher level aspects (directing, storyboarding, etc.) of the process rather than the actual animation. A quick search found me this article. I remember there being a documentary about Little Witch Academia's production process posted earlier in this thread or the last one. I should probably view that as well.
Obligatory!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That reminds me that I just recently found out that Yu Kobayashi does the voice for Lucina in the Japanese version of Fire Emblem: Awakening. I haven't played the game but that's the girl who was getting added to the roster in the newest Smash Brothers.

I also found out Sugita does the voice of the main guy Chrom. Kobayashi still lives just in video game form instead of anime.
Sawashiro is also Robin, or at least one of the Robin voices.

It's funny how despite watching the show and even having an avatar and everything I'm still not associated with the show,haha.
You need to join the IRC/Twitter cabal. :p lol

My PC isn't strong enough for my wife, RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP.
:(

Do they have the bluray? This is important.
They have the dub memorized, I'm sure!

The real shame is that Kirito isn't at the top of both lists.

What a truly wasted opportunity.
Damn cisgendered voters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nope.

16:10:31 <bay|Ota|FUNi> And a big announcement for us...
16:10:40 <bay|Ota|FUNi> it's an older series... a few older series
16:10:44 <bay|Ota|FUNi> and few newer ones
16:12:19 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (All Kadokawa)
16:11:30 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Haruhi Season 1 and Season 2, Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san
16:11:36 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Lucky Star and OVA
16:11:11 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Strike Witches Movie
16:11:16 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Steins; Gate: movie

I wonder if they'll screw up Haruhi as much as Bandai. Although I suppose it's old enough that they're finally going to crap out a BD release now... maybe based on that Japanese megabox that came out years ago.

Again!! Live Action ep 1

again1bou6x.gif

Akari Hayami of the former Momoiro Clover is a perfect casting as Usami consider the mangaka actually based Usami off her when he started the manga.

Now there is a few things I'm quite displeased about this adaptation and that is the perverse nature of this script writer and director taking liberties to inject ecchiness into a non ecchi manga.

1ysjtf.jpg

Why is there a need to change a dialogue line that wasn't in manga into this? And it doesn't even make sense for this line to happen considering Imamura was a long ass distance away from her and was doing something that wasn't even remotely suggesting anything sexual. The next 2 scenes I wanna point out but I can't post pictures because it is lewd and ban worthy. Is there really a need to have a dedicated scene of a underskirt panty shot and it happens to be a frilly white one? The second is the scene where a conversation takes place in a girls changing room if you know what I'm mean.

The adapation so far is more or less accurate to the book despite the shuffling of scenes but I'm quite disappointed that the crew have to resort to fanservice instead of playing off the strengths of manga where ecchi is nearly non existant in it.
You know, I just assumed that the fanservice was in the manga, since I don't remember much of the early chapters.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Under the Dog vs Samurai Cop 2!

SAO S2 E6

So apparently despite showing no qualms at all about killing people up to this point, now Kirito is tormented by the fact he's killed people in SAO... oh right we were never shown him killing these people until just now... and all the people he killed were trying to kill him and had killed multiple people before... why was this a thing?

Also LOL at the way Kirito was holding her at the end, like seriously bro you have a gf/waifu/child

Thoraxes

Due to the sheer amount of in-between sheets necessary, there is a intermediate staff post assigned to supervise those; 'animation check' (or 'in-between animation check'). The animation director mainly controls, corrects and returns key animation instead.
Ah, thanks!

SAO II Episode 6

Sinon is the biggest reason why I'm watching this. And if she joins Kirito's harem all hope is lost welp.

And damn those lightsaber effects, I guess Kirito is one with the force cutting that bullet in half.

The Idolm@ster Ep. 7

This was a better episode and an antithesis to the previous one in terms of structure. It focused on a single story and it was actually kind of satisfying! The drama was a little mishandled, and the parents being absent except for showing up as faceless entities at the end seemed more out of convenience than contributing to the episode in a thematic manner. It was also nice that The Producer didn't end up being the one to save the day, though I question if the point was to be subversive. His role in the show feels pointless for the most part other than as some sort of surrogate for the men in the audience.

Fireblend

Banned
Zankyou no Terror 4 & 5

So the show finally grabbed me in these two episodes! If Nine and Twelve's intent never was to kill people, they either should have established so from the beginning or just get to this point in the story quicker though. The show is gorgeous to look at, and it had some surprisingly tasteful insert songs there.

Also I know they can't waste time having Shibazaki stumped by the riddles for a significant amount of time, but they've gone from having him stumble upon the answers by sheer luck to just apparently being a world mythology expert/genius in these past two episodes, which is such a wasted opportunity. Even NGNL showed at least a bit of the main character's rationalizing their way out of everything.

Anyway I'm glad we'll probably move on now from the random threats/riddles format, as Five is probably going to fuck some shit up (I love how she apparently just went straight for them instead of spending like 3 episodes in some drawn out reveal) and Shibazaki probably won't stand for the police dept. bullshit for too long. The girl continues to be useless, but at least she isn't wasting too much time. I hope the show keeps up this pace.

Oh, and the random Unix shell commands in the hacking scenes are a great touch. They kind of remind me of the Person of Interest hacking scenes which also at least try to respect unix shell command conventions.

Clov

I wonder if they'll screw up Haruhi as much as Bandai. Although I suppose it's old enough that they're finally going to crap out a BD release now... maybe based on that Japanese megabox that came out years ago.

It's pretty likely that they'll get BD releases, since they'll want people who bought the old Bandai sets to double-dip. Hell, I'll double-dip on Haruhi now.

That being said, both titles are upscales. Well, more specifically, Lucky Star and S1 of Haruhi are upscales. Haruhi's upscale in particular isn't supposed to be very good at all. Lucky Star's upscale seems to be better.

Jarmel

Banned
It was Yoh Yoshinari, right? Or is in-between director different from animation director in some weird fashion? Like maybe keyframes only or something.
As funny as it is imagining that it was Yoshinari, I doubt it. Yoshinari as far as ANN credits, wasn't really involved with the inbetweens.

jgminto

Sword Art Online 6

Why am I even watching this? It's shit and the animation is terrible. This has been almost as boring as Log Horizon. While the first season was incredibly stupid, at least the stupidity was entertaining. If it's both stupid and boring what's the point? Praying for Death Gun to shoot me through my power socket with a CG bullet and put me out of my misery.

The animation isn't like the TV show. The angles used and the way everything is animated is very Hyouka-ish. I can see where this new director came in. Gives it a little more style.

Jarmel

Banned
Thinking about credits, what are some good articles or documentaries on the production process for anime? I'm more interesting in the higher level aspects (directing, storyboarding, etc.) of the process rather than the actual animation. A quick search found me this article. I remember there being a documentary about Little Witch Academia's production process posted earlier in this thread or the last one. I should probably view that as well.

Yea, there is a really good LWA one floating around. It covers the actual animation process but not the preproduction phase.

That's because in the case of TTGL there is a little trick to that disclosed amount; the budget was already set for a fairly close median for each episode to the one presented on that table... but they kind of went over it after being already set by the production companies at the committee:

http://www.animevice.com/gurren-lag...rren-laganns-documentary-at-fanime/97-204017/

Of course, industry veterans that create a following with their style also attract other talent in the form of pals inside the industry, those choosing who to collaborate with also influence which certain objectives can be achieved. The openness of GAiNAX in that regard helped as well...

Kinda surprised how high Eureka 7 is. Also that list really confirms for me that while budget is a factor, what a lot of high tier productions boil down to, is the skill level of the animators.

Thoraxes

As funny as it is imagining that it was Yoshinari, I doubt it. Yoshinari as far as ANN credits, wasn't really involved with the invetweens.
Ah, I see.
Other info that's been dropped:

Hidamari Sketch S4 coming "Sooner than you think"
Chuunibyou BD in December
"Ask us again later" regarding bilingual P4A BDs

Sooner than you think?

Hopefully they get back on track with closer releases then. November is so far away for 3.

cajunator

Banned
Other info that's been dropped:

Hidamari Sketch S4 coming "Sooner than you think"
Chuunibyou BD in December
"Ask us again later" regarding bilingual P4A BDs

anime is just sucking away my monies.
But thats good. I have such a glorious collection of happiness to watch!

Aldnoah Zero 6

So Slaine joining the good guys is happening A LOT sooner then I was expecting, blah I wish the mech fights in this series weren't so lopsided and boring. Earth really needs to get some of it's own super robots/aldnoah mechs to help spice up the actions scenes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barakamon Episode 6:

This show should not be nearly as good as it is and yet here we are with it being a strong contender for Anime of the Season.

Thoraxes

I really enjoyed the interviews in the TTGL BD-BOX materials about the pre-production process and camps they had.

All the original character concepts and designs were really cool too.

Preproduction is a really nebulous term in that it can take years as it's just people throwing ideas around in the bathroom. It's a super good documentary though.
Not particularly since it covers the storyboard process which is concrete. Unless that is not what you meant.

Edit: I'm not entirely uninterested in the animation, just I'd rather see stuff concerning the cinematography and such rather than key animators doing their thing. Post-production too.

Clov

Sentai needs to answer my tweets, already. I'm asking very important stuff, like when they're going to pick up Nichijou and Hyouka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom