• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

?????

Wait when did this happen?

Fuck did I turn into such an old man (also thanks to those again who are wishing me a nice birthday, its been nice!) that I missed out on some announcements?

Sentai doesn't have Nichijou or Hyouka at the moment.

Anyway, Funimation definitely didn't disappoint me this time! Really happy this time, actually.

Still waiting for The Tatami Galaxy and Ping-Pong though. Maybe a miracle could happen after all.

Too moe but funny.

I AM BERRY HAPPY.

Ok I just full on squeed again.
The power of Yunocchi.

Im back guys!

Get on it Woof.

Added to my list. But you poor souls think this is the greatest engrish? I feel compassion for you. I am a connoisseur of engrish. I've searched temples, the highest mountains, and even discussed it with wise native americans and I've found what is truly DA BEST

you are the new one? BRANDNEWHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH?

Does this mean I have to watch "The Disappearance" now? Season 2 really burned me out.

You have to? hahahahaha. NO.

You get to. It's amazing. Kyon is amazing in it.

?????

Wait when did this happen?

Fuck did I turn into such an old man (also thanks to those again who are wishing me a nice birthday, its been nice!) that I missed out on some announcements?

Come on you should know me by now.

Clearly the best KyoAni work is Clannad and it's licensed by Sentai Filmworks. :p

Nafe

Read my edit, lol. Also neither you or Nafe mentioned that Miyukichi played the female MU and female Morgan, SMH.

I don't really know who most of the characters are voiced by or who most of the characters even are,haha.

I happened to see some video on YouTube and saw that Yu Kobayashi was voicing Lucina and that Sugita was voicing Chrom. I'm really only familiar with them for now through Smash Brothers as well. Initially when I saw rumors of Chrom being in the game my reaction was "Who's Chrom?"

I only really want to watch the Disappearance movie as it's supposedly really good. What do I have to watch in order to get everything in the movie?

Thoraxes

Can't wait for best girl Takao in D-Frag.

You have superb taste!

Added to my list. But you poor souls think this is the greatest engrish? I feel compassion for you. I am a connoisseur of engrish. I've searched temples, the highest mountains, and even discussed it with wise native americans and I've found what is truly DA BEST

Look up Symphogear Engrish for the greatest.

The Idolm@ster Ep. 6

At this point the show isn't terrible but rather mediocre. One of the show's biggest problems is the scatterbrained storytelling. Just commit to one plot thread for an episode. Please. This episode tried to focus on too many different things going on. There's the thread for Ritsuko and the new idol unit, the one for Miki, and then the one for The Producer. None of them ended up being developed in a satisfying manner. Miki's thread in particular was just anticlimactic, her performance wasn't even shown. This show is more interesting in being fluffy and catering to the audience than telling a good story. I didn't even find the dance sequence all that impressive.

Thoraxes

The Idolm@ster Ep. 6

At this point the show isn't terrible but rather mediocre. One of the shows biggest problems is the scatterbrained storytelling. Just commit to one plot thread for an episode. Please. This episode tried to focus on too many different things going on. There's the thread for Ritsuko and the new idol unit, the one for Miki, and then the one for The Producer. None of them ended up being developed in a satisfying manner. Miki's thread in particular was just anticlimactic, her performance wasn't even shown.

That's because Miki sucks.

Midonin

Marimite 04-06

Yoshino's pretty cool. Even with her illness, she has a real strength of character. Her relationship with Rei was told shortly and sweetly. The show, with its focus on school politics, could be not very exciting, but the constant emotional aspect of it, as well as the soothing music and visuals, are making for something that's pleasant to watch, and not just for the yuri elements. Also, only six episodes before someone kissed. That's sooner than I would've pegged it with how the show's pacing seemed.

/XX/

Great chart, thanks. I'm genuinely suprised Gurren Lagann isn't higher. Some of the stuff they pulled was mindblowing.
That's because in the case of TTGL there is a little trick to that disclosed amount; the budget was already set for a fairly close median for each episode to the one presented on that table... but they kind of went over it after being already set by the production companies at the committee:

World Premiere of Gurren Lagann's Documentary at Fanime - Anime Vice said:
Q) The tv series looks really expensive. What was the budget and did it exceed it?
A) It's usually 120,000 USD per episode. GAINAX already was had their sponsor group meeting prior to the series being made. They were already set in getting 150,000 - 160,000 USD. They would usually end up spending 180,000 to 200,000 USD per episode so they'd go over the budget. They would make up for this loss in merchandise and holding licenses.
http://www.animevice.com/gurren-lag...rren-laganns-documentary-at-fanime/97-204017/

Of course, industry veterans that create a following with their style also attract other talent in the form of pals inside the industry, those choosing who to collaborate with also influence which certain objectives can be achieved. The openness of GAiNAX in that regard helped as well...

GmTuqPM.gif

The wise Native American elders who apparently watch anime.

They.

They were wrong.

added to list

edit: there's like a million shows called symphogear Shirokuma/Bear-kun, which one is the one with the engrish?

Narag

Check the Magipoka Engrish ep

Theonik

Peasant tier Engrish.

Miyukichi is a goddess even in Engrish.

Edit:
Check the Magipoka Engrish ep
Dammit beaten while typing my post.

Aldnoah Zero 6

aka Valvrave S1 2.0

-Martians let Slaine escape. (why didn't they close the doors first?!!)
-We declared war!... wait, they weren't at war?
-Pouty moe, fanservice shot with miniskirt.
-Inaho being Inaboring.
-PTSD guy is boring, he only has that unique stichk as character and he has been using it almost every time he has appeared.
-You killed my brother! I am really adopted, my true family name is another! My brother was... your best friend! /shocking face. Holy shit is this a bad soap opera?
-Another Martian robot attacks! It doesn't matter how big is Earth, they happen to clash with another one by pure chance.
-Of course Inaho uses his training mech, just with the scene where he complains the military version isn't as manoeuvrable I knew he would prefer the training version.
-The martian mech seems very silly launching arms MazingerZ style, but I suppose it means she has 6 infinitely rechargeable missiles.
-How Slaine know where the princess is? Another happy coincidence he also finds the ship.

Yeah...
Hoping this starts to shape up soon but it's already six episodes in.

Mr.Jeff

Why was it you hated Houki so much again?
Well it's less targeted towards Houki specifically and more towards the unrequited, childhood friend idea. Every single one of the frustrates me because they lack impetus to move forward with the male character* yet somehow end up as the prime pick in most cases because of familiarity despite them generally being horrible people.

Houki was just pretty much the embodiment of all those aspects I hate.

Haha. That's right mAcOdIn was watching the show as well.

Why was it you hated Houki so much again?

Wow, some of those are really big changes. Talking about streaming for free(as long as you have internet) versus buying the DVD/BD and this particular show might be more of an extreme case but I can see why some would still want a cheaper retail release. That way they can at least see more of a finished product and not a bunch of cheaper looking art or animation.

Well as you've probably seen a bunch of times already the next arc is the best. I'd like to watch the show again myself and might bump it up my list. So many shows...

Yeah, maybe.
Ninja Nafe.
Haha.

Ai Kayano I think is voicing the girl wearing red in Amagi.

I'm sure about Sugita. I was familiar with his voice anyway but after going through about 150 episodes of Gintama now, I'm definitely sure,haha. Just in case I double checked anyway and he was listed as doing the voice.

I didn't know who Lon'qu is but apparently he's voiced by Takehito Koyasu. He did the voice for Touga in Utena. Right now he's doing the voice for Oresky in Happiness Charge PreCure! if you're watching that.

You say usually Japanese. Does the NA version have a ENG/JAP voice option?

I'd still like to try Senran Kagura as I like beat 'em up games.

Yeah, I personally don't think they sound similar enough. Can't help you there,haha. :)

I'm watching Happiness Charge PreCure!, so Lon'qu was me Dio all this time. I'm getting bad at this.

Yes it has and it always mess it up when you reset with L+R+START+SELECT, and when I'm tired I don't switch back to japanese. =___=

And I'm getting Senran Kagura for research purposes. I swear. :p
I'm trying to do a beat 'em up this semester.

Phatmac

Aldnoah Zero 6

aka Valvrave S1 2.0

-Martians let Slaine escape. (why didn't they close the doors first?!!)
-We declared war!... wait, they weren't at war?
-Pouty moe, fanservice shot with miniskirt.
-Inaho being Inaboring.
-PTSD guy is boring, he only has that unique stichk as character and he has been using it almost every time he has appeared.
-You killed my brother! I am really adopted, my true family name is another! My brother was... your best friend! /shocking face. Holy shit is this a bad soap opera?
-Another Martian robot attacks! It doesn't matter how big is Earth, they happen to clash with another one by pure chance.
-Of course Inaho uses his training mech, just with the scene where he complains the military version isn't as manoeuvrable I knew he would prefer the training version.
-The martian mech seems very silly launching arms MazingerZ style, but I suppose it means she has 6 infinitely rechargeable missiles.
-How Slaine know where the princess is? Another happy coincidence he also finds the ship.
Yeppp... I'm trying to like this show since it can be better but these issues along with others are just plain bad.

Thoraxes

That's because in the case of TTGL there is a little trick to that disclosed amount; the budget was already set for a fairly close median for each episode to the one presented on that table... but they kind of went over it after being already set by the production companies at the committee:

http://www.animevice.com/gurren-lag...rren-laganns-documentary-at-fanime/97-204017/

Of course, industry veterans that create a following with their style also attract other talent in the form of pals inside the industry, those choosing who to collaborate with also influence which certain objectives can be achieved. The openness of GAiNAX in that regard helped as well...

lol

All of the interviewed inbetweeners say that the inbetween director was harsh and demanding to them. One comments that he was very terrifying. Eventually, they all learned and he doesn't get angry as the series progressed. There were less and less retakes since each inbetweener learned the fundamentals.

It was Yoh Yoshinari, right? Or is in-between director different from animation director in some weird fashion? Like maybe keyframes only or something.

Well it's less targeted towards Houki specifically and more towards the unrequited, childhood friend idea. Every single one of the frustrates me because they lack impetus to move forward with the male character* yet somehow end up as the prime pick in most cases because of familiarity despite them generally being horrible people.

Houki was just pretty much the embodiment of all those aspects I hate.
I love osananajimi, but I didn't like them in IS.

StormKing

Aldnoah 6

Why do these grunts keep going out when they get slaughtered every time?

Is it just to show how powerful the Martian mechs are? Maybe more model kit sales?

Thinking about credits, what are some good articles or documentaries on the production process for anime? I'm more interesting in the higher level aspects (directing, storyboarding, etc.) of the process rather than the actual animation. A quick search found me this article. I remember there being a documentary about Little Witch Academia's production process posted earlier in this thread or the last one. I should probably view that as well.

There was like half a second scene where Slaine says he's going after the ship and orange Kat Vlad was. How he knows Princess is there? well yeah... this is his only clue anyway. It's still poorly communicated like most things in the show.

Yeah but, how did he know where the ship was now? I imagine at least 3-4 days has passed since episode 3.

Aldnoah 6

Why do these grunts keep going out when they get slaughtered every time?

Is it just to show how powerful the Martian mechs are? Maybe more model kit sales?

What I thought while they were being slaughtered was "wait, how many mechs do they still have aboard? This is the third time they lose a few ones, and the ship isn't that big. Another fight more and they will be empty handed".

Yeah but, how did he know where the ship was now? I imagine at least 3-4 days has passed since episode 3.

My only guess in here is that he
somehow was able to see that a knight was battling a ship in the vicinity of where he was earlier (Japan). Maybe it took him as long to get there because he had gone near Japan before?
Anime logic though.

Pooya

He was interrogating a faceless guy, presumably he gave him the info like last known position, possibly tracking them even after what happened, you can fill up the blanks, it's not that bad.

jbug617

Banned
Mahouka 19

Everyone uses Onii-sama for their own personal gain. I like that we got action from the first episode of this arc and hopefully the action continues at a good pace. I wonder if the military becoming more visible will reveal Onii-sama's relationship with them to his friends at school.

Branduil

Looking at the credits for that, I'm perplexed why a film would have a chief director and the implications of that.

It's not that unusual for an anime to have both a director and a series/chief director. Usually one is more hands-on and the other takes more of a producer's role.

cajunator

Banned
Another case of Funi using the TV masters instead of the JP BD masters for their stream, which would have also made it onto their own BD release.

I remember that now. Still dont know why this sort of thing is happening.

good god my ears.

Ooh the Magical Pokan episode :D
I didnt know anyone bothered to youtube it!

Hold the phone!!!! Really?

You have just sold me on this.

Disappearance is totally up your alley. You'll love it.

From what I recall psyhco had the very wrong opinion that Kyon wasn't the best part of Haruhi, so maybe it isn't entirely for him. But maybe after this he'll see the light.

SAO 2 6
Well the first half was decent. Kirito actually having weakness and facing it poorly. Then the second half was an overdramatic duel. Perfect example of why the aiming system sucks and Kirito making the girls fall for him.

Phatmac

Saw the whole thing and really loved it. I think the concept can keep going for a long time so hopefully the series continues. It's a fun time for how short each episode is. Love how the op changes overtime as the show goes on with each new episode. Fun kid show overall that made me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom