• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 2 - "Im a bit curious."

Enough with the Sinon butt shots. Lets talk about Hyouka.

Oreki is something else isn't he? Im not too sure what to expect from the guy. I feel like there is going to be some larger-at-hand mysterious arc to the show, or eternal letdown. Probably related to what Chitanda was referencing towards the end of the episode.

This show is gorgeous, I know i've only shown close ups and eyes. The background art is really well done too.

Now everyone is
IU128Hi.png

hyouka is a well executed series but I strongly feel that its characterizations would have been more involving with better writing of certain episodes. Just wasnt very intellectually stimulating sometimes.

Hattori

Banned
Well you could say that the countryside is a bit more welcoming compared to the city side. Though I didn't know that Japan had issues with tattooed people.

Tattoos are normally associated with crime syndicates i.e. Yakuza so people are very wary of tattoo'd people ---
(I'm not an expert on the subject, it's just what I learned from relatives living there)

Midonin

Rail Wars 06

It's a combination of the "not a date" episode and plenty of misunderstandings, but more importantly, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for last week. A Haruka episode. Like OBC's Minori, she's someone who's part of the main group, but doesn't get as much focus as some of the other heroines. Even Nana gets more than her. (I wonder if her tendencies are like Wagon's...) So this episode was welcome, and Naoto's enthusiasm about the Transportation Museum was kinda charming.

Clov

My favorite KyoAni production will probably always be Lucky Star. One of the most relaxing and laid back series I've seen. Loved every moment of it!

My other favorites would be Hyouka, Nichijou, Fumoffu, K-ON, Disappearance, and Free! Not necessarily in that order. Though I've enjoyed most of their output to some extent.

Tattoos are normally associated with crime syndicates i.e. Yakuza so people are very wary of tattoo'd people ---
(I'm not an expert on the subject, it's just what I learned from relatives living there)

Yeah that makes sense as most crime syndicates have tattoos.

My favorite KyoAni production will probably always be Lucky Star. One of the most relaxing and laid back series I've seen. Loved every moment of it!

My other favorites would be Hyouka, Nichijou, Fumoffu, K-ON, Disappearance, and Free! Not necessarily in that order. Though I've enjoyed most of their output to some extent.
You, we can be friends. I think Fumoffu is one of the few KyotoAni series I haven't seen yet. So much to watch.

Finalow

"welcome to kyoani"

not sure, Clannad AS to me was one the ugliest anime I've ever seen. especially the characters, you need some high level skill to make them that bad looking and malformed.

Mahouka 19
Instead of living a simple life, batman-nii-sama gets tangled once again in international struggles, this time with the Chinese. Batman-nii-sama is totally going to figure out the secret to the magatama as well write his thesis by the next episode too.

Branduil

"welcome to kyoani"

not sure, Clannad AS to me was one the ugliest anime I've ever seen. especially the characters, you need some high level skill to make them that bad looking and malformed.

You should have seen them before. KyoAni probably did about as well as they could without completely redoing the character designs.

Angelic Layer Ep. 1

I was looking up adaptations of CLAMP's stuff and thought I would give this a shot. The creative staff gave me concerns but it was an early BONES series so I thought it couldn't be too bad. In terms of narrative this is pretty standard stuff for this type of series with some odd comedy, like the professor guy getting arrested on suspicions of trying to abduct the protagonist. As for the visuals and animation, yikes. I guess this was BONES' first digital production because it shows. Some shots are blurrier than others, the background art is not very good, and the character art has plenty of quality. The animation for the first battle wasn't even that good. Even if the narrative ends up being compelling I don't know how long I can put up with the visuals.

Finalow

Branduil

Dangit Branduil, your avatar is too dark. It's really bugging me. Here's a fixed version in case you want it.

lIxXrrB.png

That's how it looked in the show! Although you might be right. Thanks for the effort, but I think yours might go a little too far in the other direction.

Hattori

Banned
that's probably the best shot of him (her?) that you get in the whole series isn't it. I didn't arrive that far anyway.
I believe there are others, but then again the character designs are an acquired taste. Not many can really look past it, I'm pretty sure I didn't like it the first time I saw it but I eventually got used to it.

Articalys

Eh, I'm mostly enjoying the new stuff I'm watching from this season all equally. If I had to pick the three I look forward to most each week, I guess that would be Terror in Resonance, SAO II, and Hanayamata, with Nozaki-kun, Aldnoah, and Yama no Susume just behind them. For continuing stuff it's still Haikyuu first, then Captain Earth, then Baby Steps.

Eh, I'm mostly enjoying the new stuff I'm watching from this season all equally. If I had to pick the three I look forward to most each week, I guess that would be Terror in Resonance, SAO II, and Hanayamata, with Nozaki-kun, Aldnoah, and Yama no Susume just behind them. For continuing stuff it's still Haikyuu first, then Captain Earth, then Baby Steps.

Have you been watching Barakamon?

Articalys

Have you been watching Barakamon?
Yes, and it's nice but the last episode was a bit weaker for me compared to the others. Haven't seen today's episode yet. Overall it's probably just behind the six I already listed.

It does have one of the best OP/ED pairs of the season though.

ONII-SAMA the Animation 19

e7747bcf64.jpg

Christ she was on a roll this episode

The hell was up with the sword guys voice acting/audio in the beginning?
And that English lmao what was the point of that

Oh wow how convenient Onii-sama is researching something to store magic sequences then some new lady comes in and tells him there is an object that can do just that! And they need his help to replicate it of course!
And I guess he is also Wolverine now? Did I miss something?

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 16

Bit more of a somber episode where Akari goes on one final nostalgia tour with her gondola before she has to exchange it for a new one due to it being worn out. Didn't connect to me as much as other episodes since I'm not one to get overly sentimental for physical, inanimate objects.

Akari had a bit of a mysterious dream toward the end with an old man getting into her gondola and requesting a ride, saying it was probably fate that they came together. And when he got where he wanted to go, he wanted to stay a bit longer. I suppose he was a personal manifestation of the gondola for Akari. A companion she ended up with by fate, and who she wishes she had more time with. But he's old, and he needs to step away from this business.

cajunator

Banned
Angelic Layer Ep. 1

I was looking up adaptations of CLAMP's stuff and thought I would give this a shot. The creative staff gave me concerns but it was an early BONES series so I thought it couldn't be too bad. In terms of narrative this is pretty standard stuff for this type of series with some odd comedy, like the professor guy getting arrested on suspicions of trying to abduct the protagonist. As for the visuals and animation, yikes. I guess this was BONES' first digital production because it shows. Some shots are blurrier than others, the background art is not very good, and the character art has plenty of quality. The animation for the first battle wasn't even that good. Even if the narrative ends up being compelling I don't know how long I can put up with the visuals.

Well visually its not the best. Probably not the highest budget series, but it is quite well written and directed. Stick with it, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom