• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS 8

She's using his lap as a pillow!?

Yeah, it would make sense that Tomoyo would know a thing or two about street gangs.

Wow, Sunohara really screwed the pooc...you know, this is anime, that phrase might have different connotations.

Sanae's bread can take out an army single-handedly.

Better action than Kill la Kill.

8O
Ouch.

You know, I figured that was what happened, but it's still pretty powerful.

So it looks like we're getting a bit closer to unraveling the mystery or the series.
Orbs of light that can grant wishes, born of happiness and good deeds. There are similar lights in the world that has ended, yet the robot has stated that they are like shadows. It's clear that the show is drawing a connection between them, but it's still unclear what the purpose is.

mankoto

Tiger and Bunny Movie 1: The Beginning
Man that was great. I heard it was just a recap movie when it was much more. The new scenes were great and the new criminal altogether was even better.

mankoto

Space Dandy 19
Everything about this episode was outstanding. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's just...

HeftyWavyHoneybee.gif

Thoraxes

Space Dandy - 19

That was awesome. Honey is a really cool character.

And that preview for next episode had a very lewd cut of Honey.

I always love the meta-humor too.

Be still my beating heart lol

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 17

firehawk's favorite show at its most :firehawk. firehawkception.

I did like the flashback scenes to when Alicia received that gondola for the first time. She was pretty much exactly like Akari in those days. It really doesn't require any explanation how Akari became Alicia's apprentice.

ONII-SAMA the Animation 19
Oh wow how convenient Onii-sama is researching something to store magic sequences then some new lady comes in and tells him there is an object that can do just that! And they need his help to replicate it of course!
And I guess he is also Wolverine now? Did I miss something?

I see you are still enjoying this.
For the relic thingy, i guess you could say "that was convenient".
And I thought we already established that he's a wolverine last 2 episodes?
can i say that seeing the relationship between tatsuya and miyuki animated really made me cringe? i guess reading is different that watching

Articalys

http://wug-zoo.jp/
http://moca-news.net/article/20140810/201408101400a/01/
I didn't watch Wake Up Girls, so someone needs to tell me if the animals match their personalities.

Anyway looks like this is a spin-off short anime that's going to stream on their website starting in September. Ordet in collaboration with Studio Moriken, who basically do Flash anime (among other work), so don't expect anything terribly fancy.
The setting of the shorts a small zoo at the outskirts of Sendai in northeastern Japan. Facing the imminent demise of the zoo, the head zookeeper Tange orders breeder Matsuda to scout out a new animal unit.

How am I just now finding out there was a second season of Mushi-shi?! For anyone who has seen it, is it any good?

Edit: I really need to catch up on the new season of Dandy. My Saturdays have been a lot busier lately so I've only seen the first episode. :(

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS 9

Their shy love is really cute.

Nagisa's birthday is December 24. I wonder if Pshyco celebrates it.

lol, totatlly succeeded in deflecting the question.

Yes, we get it, Sunohara's a bit of an idiot.

Nagisa ;_;

Oh hey, I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday too. Weird sort of connection there.

So much character growth for Okazaki in this episode.

The theme of family is very strong here. It's very heartwarming.

Oh man, this is making me all emotional. They even threw in the damn Dango song.

Really good episode.

Hyouka 1 - "The inexperienced draw attention by acting differently."

So i've been putting this off for so long, I honestly have been afraid to watch it because I know there is a 0% chance that there will ever be more. PshycoNinja finishing Haruhi gave me the final push to start this.

The animation in this episode is really well done, does the rest of the series look as good as the first episode?

I went through parts of the episode frame-by-frame. (Easy to guess which ones) And loved what they did with Chitanda's eyes. The eyes in general are pretty in this show.

And on that note Chitanda and Oreki are such great characters. I feel like the two draw parallelisms to certain Haruhi characters.

Yes!!!!

Hyouka is awesome. And yes the visuals do look that good for most of the show.

Nice job on the review. Now I recommend reading the light novels since there's pretty much no reason a season 3 is going to happen if you're wanting more.

Nah I am okay. Disappearance had a nice end point to it.

#LongHairHaruhi4Life

Oh course, the Nagato spinoff finds a way to a) make Nagato the true main character and be the better for it and b) still manage to bring the entire cast together anyway.

I wonder if that anime is still being planned though. Seems like there hasn't been any news since that original announcement... although I'm not really F5ing for Haruhi news.

Neither am I. While I like all the characters I had my Haruhi fix for a lifetime. Disappearance was a nice way to end it.

Nice review Pshyco. I also look through my final impressions at least 10 times before I post them yet after they've been posted I still find mistakes. Hell, I reread my regular posts a few times before I post them to ensure I fix any errors.

I started going through them but I only finished the first two. I should get back to them at some point.

Yeah I know what you mean. It sucks when you find them after the fact.

And yeah The Melancholy isn't bad. But like I said Endless Eight is evil. The Disappearance made watching The Melancholy worth it.

Hyouka 2 - "Im a bit curious."

Enough with the Sinon butt shots. Lets talk about Hyouka.

Oreki is something else isn't he? Im not too sure what to expect from the guy. I feel like there is going to be some larger-at-hand mysterious arc to the show, or eternal letdown. Probably related to what Chitanda was referencing towards the end of the episode.

This show is gorgeous, I know i've only shown close ups and eyes. The background art is really well done too.

Now everyone is
IU128Hi.png

I am curious is forever embedded into the anime culture now. Don't be let down. It's a great show. Keep going!

Welcome to KyoAni.

One of the best bro!

Disapperance is tied with Hyouka as the 2nd best thing KyoAni has ever done.

Fixed that for ya!

I'll admit, I can never say "I'm curious" anymore without thinking of Hyouka.

Lol. I am the same now. Except now I catch myself before saying "I'm curious" and instead say it in Japanese now. Nobody understands the reference when I do it outside AnimeGAF though. :(

I approve this message. Your doing good work.

No, but this is.

iNUAMNBWdSPED.jpg

VN dude. This isn't in the show. Fail.

I believe there are others, but then again the character designs are an acquired taste. Not many can really look past it, I'm pretty sure I didn't like it the first time I saw it but I eventually got used to it.

I honestly didn't like it at first either but I got past it and grew to like it over time. It really isn't as bad as some make it out to be or as bad as I thought it would be when I first started. I really like it now and love what KyoAni did with it.

Clannad AS 8

She's using his lap as a pillow!?

Yeah, it would make sense that Tomoyo would know a thing or two about street gangs.

Wow, Sunohara really screwed the pooc...you know, this is anime, that phrase might have different connotations.

Sanae's bread can take out an army single-handedly.

Better action than Kill la Kill.

8O
Ouch.

You know, I figured that was what happened, but it's still pretty powerful.

So it looks like we're getting a bit closer to unraveling the mystery or the series.
Orbs of light that can grant wishes, born of happiness and good deeds. There are similar lights in the world that has ended, yet the robot has stated that they are like shadows. It's clear that the show is drawing a connection between them, but it's still unclear what the purpose is.

I know I've said this at least once before but I love reading your impressions. You are really getting it.

Loved that section with Sanae's bread. I laughed so hard there.

A lot of the sad stuff they do they do enough foreshadowing for you to pick up on it but it's so well executed when it actually happens.

Clannad AS 9

Their shy love is really cute.

Nagisa's birthday is December 24. I wonder if Pshyco celebrates it.

lol, totatlly succeeded in deflecting the question.

Yes, we get it, Sunohara's a bit of an idiot.

Nagisa ;_;

Oh hey, I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday too. Weird sort of connection there.

So much character growth for Okazaki in this episode.

The theme of family is very strong here. It's very heartwarming.

Oh man, this is making me all emotional. They even threw in the damn Dango song.

Really good episode.

I do not celebrate Nagisa's B-day. That would be....weird. Actually I forgot her birthday is on December 24th. I am terrible. Okazaki grows a lot for the rest of the show. It's great.

Glad it's starting to hit you in the feels now. :3

Edit: Really? I thought I would get responses between each post. So sorry mods. Trying to catch up. I'll stop until a few people post.

I am curious is forever embedded into the anime culture now. Don't be let down. It's a great show. Keep going!

One of the best bro!

Fixed that for ya!

Lol. I am the same now. Except now I catch myself before saying "I'm curious" and instead say it in Japanese now. Nobody understands the reference when I do it outside AnimeGAF though. :(

I approve this message. Your doing good work.

VN dude. This isn't in the show. Fail.

Dude you shouldn't write off Fumoffu with Hyouka.

zulux21

I am going to hold you to that! ;)

Don't know if I can do more. S1 was good and S2 was long but okay. I don't think I can do more Haruhi after this movie.

well to be fair the yuki series isn't more haruhi... it's actually a spin off
that takes place when haruhi doesn't exist :p

cajunator

Banned
http://wug-zoo.jp/
http://moca-news.net/article/20140810/201408101400a/01/

I didn't watch Wake Up Girls, so someone needs to tell me if the animals match their personalities.

Anyway looks like this is a spin-off short anime that's going to stream on their website starting in September. Ordet in collaboration with Studio Moriken, who basically do Flash anime (among other work), so don't expect anything terribly fancy.

Oh my everloving squeeeeeeee

lol the animegaf twitter list is so nsfw. I'm gonna have to read it when others aren't around lol

My twitter isnt too nsfw no worries.

I don't know, but all the popular ones seem to do.

Angelic Layer Ep. 2

She didn't know how to attack. What. The production values were still rough but the action animation seemed better.

Well she is brand new to the game. Its connected to her thoughts. Probably takes considerable practice to even make it move.

Lupin III: Green vs. Red

Another fun, stupid Lupin movie in the same vein as Mystery of Mamo (hint hint), except this one has a shit ton of references to older series'/films in the franchise and
a giant ass mech out of nowhere

...and hey, this is one of the few animes I've seen to use an actual McDonald's and not that WcDonald's crap.

jgminto

Aldnoah Zero 6

Everyone else continues to be slow, stupid, expendable idiots except for the boring protagonist. At least
Slaine has arrived to be the possible second competent character of the show.
Honestly, I'm almost rooting for the martians to stomp this boring-ass group of humans. None of the story elements are interesting,
I can tell the story behind useless drunk guy's old partner/useless captain's brother will be totally cliched and uninteresting.
I'd take more of Urobuchi's super obvious and heavy handed twists over this boring crap, at least some more of these boring characters would get killed off to try and emulate actual emotions and feelings.

Terror in Resonance 1-5

Came for the Bebop director. Stayed for what's moving toward being the most engrossing show for me since Death Note.

The characters are all interesting (though Lisa needs more of a role and more fleshing out), and their relationships and connections even more so. The plot continues to get more intriguing too. I was totally satisfied to see kid terrorists face off with a police detective but
now there's the added third faction of Five who doesn't seem to be with the police nor for Sphinx.

Doesn't hurt that it's one of the best animated and directed shows in anime in a while. I mean just a few scenes can show how well done it is:
the heist at the beginning of the first episode, the end of the first episode, the motorcycle escape at the end of ep. 4, the whole sequence of Nine rushing towards the train in ep. 5

This is definitely a show I'm keeping up with. We can only hope Watanabe can keep it up, and just like his previous shows, end it with a bang.

JoeFu

Banned
My twitter isnt too nsfw no worries.

I know your twitter is fine. You bring the cute and stuff !

I'm talking about the list firehawk made. I follow that list just because I wanna see who else is on it and read it time to time. So many bare nips shown haha.

Superflat

One of the worst design shifts ever. Old Talho just needed like, a different shirt.

It's not in this image, but it's the bellbottoms that's the most egregious. I tried looking for a image but it seems like no one wanted to take a screenshot of her after the design change lol

Well she is brand new to the game. Its connected to her thoughts. Probably takes considerable practice to even make it move.
I get that but, if I understood it right, she couldn't visualize a punch or anything until she remembered that move her friend performed. I can suspend my disbelief that she hasn't seen an action movie or someone throw a punch in real life, but the other doll was literally throwing punches all over the place in front of her.

Eureka 7: AO

I've been watching this one over the past couple of weeks (finished it tonight), but I saw the first few episodes a while back when it was still newish. I feel like I should've left it at that. Really, what the heck is this show? Why did the writers go in the direction they did? It's just so f'n stupid to me.

The main character is, really not all that great. Naru? Ugh. Truth? Really? Really?

I remember reading people's dislike of AO and thinking it could not be that bad. I didn't want it to be as I really love the original series, but maaaan. So disappointed. So very disappointed.

I had planned to make this a long post detailing every little thing I dislike, but meh, I'm sure I'd just be repeating what I'm sure many others have already said.

At least it's nice to look at.

Edit:
Eureka Seven episode whichever one where this happens:

EW TALHO WHY. NOT THAT I WAS A FAN OF YOUR OLD OUTFIT, BUT HOLY SHIT.
What a coincidence.

That outfit, while terrible, is still better than anything in the sequel series.

Jex

Eureka Seven episode whichever one where this happens:

EW TALHO WHY. NOT THAT I WAS A FAN OF YOUR OLD OUTFIT, BUT HOLY SHIT.
Don't you see, Superflat? She's no longer a young girl desperately seeking male attention by flaunting her body! She's an adult women and that's why she can dress like a radish.

Articalys

Honestly though I think the stupid raised collar is the worst part of the outfit. Without that, it would at least be tolerable.
Also her hairstyle change is worse than the outfit change but that's an entirely separate issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom