• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I should probably watch Servant x Service at some point.

And yeah I echo the sentiments on Baby Steps. I'm still really enjoying the show even though it looks like downright garbage at times.

May needs her own spin-off series in which she's an idol
73013.png

Guess I'll be a girl in ORAS! Really should give us the option for no hats.

Quasar

I love the manga, but it also has times it spends many chapters in one match. And matches that in the long run won't matter with characters that were just introduced.

Thats pretty much been my issue with sports anime/manga and which normally preferred shows where the sport is just the backdrop not the foreground. So here for instance I am interested in Marou/Nat-chan, though there are other relationships of interest.

In the manga, does it ever cover Nat-chans tennis or is it all off panel like the anime?

Midonin

Akame ga Kill 06

...well. I was on board with the Lion Maru transformation at the start, but then everything else happened. I had a feeling we'd be getting crazy HanaKana from the preview, but not to that extent of crazy. I expect opinions on this episode to be split down the middle and now I feel terrible for typing that.

fertygo

I can"t even finish that Servant x Service episode with obnoxious sister, bloody awful episode, dropping the show without looking back after that. Meanwhile working have Yamada, and not only one!

Thats pretty much been my issue with sports anime/manga and which normally preferred shows where the sport is just the backdrop not the foreground. So here for instance I am interested in Marou/Nat-chan, though there are other relationships of interest.

In the manga, does it ever cover Nat-chans tennis or is it all off panel like the anime?

It shows glimpses here and there of tennis matches of other people, but not as in-depth or as long.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yep, after this week's episode I can firmly say Sabagebu is my anime of the season and could very well be my anime of the year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill! Episode 6:

Much like Terror in Resonance this week, this is an episode that needed to happen in several respects. Quite honestly, watching the Night Raid carry on with their social justice antics is just boring and was in desperate need of shaking up and this has happened in a profound way. I also like that this show has been building up to this point with nice uses of continuity and actions having direct consequences.
I will say the actual battle was kind of marred with Seryu pulling some over the top theatrics that would make Tokyo Ghoul ask for a bit of the toning down. As far as Sheele's death goes, I think they expected things perfectly. Her death is very clearly a shifting point in the series, not only establishing that truly anybody can die (Obviously the MCs are not but bear with me) but the signaling of the true escalation of the conflict. Also, I did feel her death was handled with a stunning amount of pathos and gravitas for such a C List character, but I didn't fine myself overly moved since I didn't get to know her that well.
I may have underestimated this series, it isn't a tour de force but it is being handled more competently then Attack on Titan or Blue Exorcist thus far.

I can"t even finish that Servant x Service episode with obnoxious sister, bloody awful episode, dropping the show without looking back after that. Meanwhile working have Yamada, and not only one!

Working doesn't have Yamada untill a couple of episodes in .. Maybe you just need time to understand each cast member role ?

Akame ga Kill! Episode 6:

Much like Terror in Resonance this week, this is an episode that needed to happen in several respects. Quite honestly, watching the Night Raid carry on with their social justice antics is just boring and was in desperate need of shaking up and this has happened in a profound way. I also like that this show has been building up to this point with nice uses of continuity and actions having direct consequences.
I will say the actual battle was kind of marred with Seryu pulling some over the top theatrics that would make Tokyo Ghoul ask for a bit of the toning down. As far as Sheele's death goes, I think they expected things perfectly. Her death is very clearly a shifting point in the series, not only establishing that truly anybody can die (Obviously the MCs are not but bear with me) but the signaling of the true escalation of the conflict. Also, I did feel her death was handled with a stunning amount of pathos and gravitas for such a C List character, but I didn't fine myself overly moved since I didn't get to know her that well.
I may have underestimated this series, it isn't a tour de force but it is being handled more competently then Attack on Titan or Blue Exorcist thus far.

You're right on one point , this is where akame ga kill prologue ends and the premise of the show is shuffled. In a good direction , even.
The rest of the show is riding that wave and observing the whole mess that comes with it

I guess this is the POWER OF JUSTICE at work ;-)

mankoto

Shounen Hollywood 6
Straight back into the depths of character development we go. We find out a bit more about Amaki. He felt like he didn't fit in with his friends so he left them. And now due to his screw up in the play, he feels like he doesn't fit in with Shounen Hollywood either claiming to not have a special place. Luckily, after Kira's speech as he feels like Akami doesn't have a right to say that since he's been following his own path, a practice session, and some really bad incense Akami is able to get out of his rut.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I dropped Servant X Service like a hot potato once the sexual harasser was being pushed into a serious relationship without really changing his ways, that did not agree with my moral compass.

Akame ga Kill 06

I'm so glad they were able to do this scene
justice
The way they handled and drew Coro's 2nd transformation was quite the sight and I loved it immensely. Very glad they kept some of the shots and stills of the character faces exactly how they look in the manga.
This has been a treat of an adaptation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I dropped Servant X Service like a hot potato once the sexual harasser was being pushed into a serious relationship without really changing his ways, that did not agree with my moral compass.
Did we watch the same show?

cajunator

Banned

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Doki doki precure 1

So, my first foray into precure just to understand it.

The bad guys are literally called selfish?

This is.. not a good place to start. If you want to see the origin, watch Futari wa precure but the modern team iteration of it is best seen with heartcatch, smile, or the recent Happiness charge. Doki doki is not so good.

Clov

So will Working!!! do the impossible and have an even better OP than the last two?

I actually can't remember the S2 OP at all. Of course I still have "SOMEONE WAN WAN" stuck in my head forever, and that will be pretty hard to beat.

cajunator

Banned
Bought some DVDs at Otakon:

Squeeeee
I have Yuyushiki. Still waiting for Kinmoza.

Alright, I'll give heartcatch a shot then.

Now you're on the right path.

Barakamon - 01
Really enjoyed this although for a first episode it seems remarkably self-contained - almost as if it could have ended there. Daisuke Ono as always is really fun to listen to in roles like this.

Gekkan ShoujoNozaki-kun - 01
Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Some great little spots of humour added even during the "serious" parts. Having Miyano voice the perfect pretty boy from the manga was perfect. Next episode looks fun too.

If you only watch two shows this season, youve chosen the right ones.

You need to watch the Full Metal Panic series. Though while the first season was produced by Gonzo. The other 2 (Fumoffu and second raid) were done by KyoAni. And by impressions from other people, Fumoffu is one of the best works from KyoAni.

i fully endorse this series. If you want a mech show with a lot of character without it going off the deep end this is a great one. It plays things pretty straightforward. There are some funny moments in the school between chidori and sousuke but its actually fairly serious.

Servant x Service > Working!!

Not quite.
Working had better characters and a more fun. Setting imo.
Theres also much more to watch so its kind of unfair comparison to begin with.
Im waiting for bluray release.

Akame Ga Kill 6

The_streak_is_over_2.gif

Wow this series clearly doesn't play around, GOD DAMN

Yeah the main gimmick of this series is killing of characters, so don't get too attached.

Though the series is big in the western fandom. In Japan though it's unpopular. Guess they don't like how edgy it is or maybe the killing of waifus.

Quasar

Yeah the main gimmick of this series is killing of characters, so don't get too attached.

Though the series is big in the western fandom. In Japan though it's unpopular. Guess they don't like how gritty it is or maybe the killing of waifus.

Wonder how it keeps getting published then.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I wouldn't call it gritty. It's called clashing grimdark. If you're gonna go with grimdark don't have fucking harem/typical anime hijinks.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that might have been either a bit of misdirection or just early installment weirdness. Also, I am perfectly fine with the dispatching of useless harem trash. More shows need to do this in fact.

You need some lightness for relief.

I would hardly call cheap 'lol tits' + slapstick humor as an immediate follow up to a mourning scene "lightness for relief". e: (that example is from episode 2-3 i think. Either way the entire show was shock-full of that shit up until I dropped it)

It's about as bad as a mood whiplash can go.

You need some lightness for relief.

It's insulting to me as an audience member that they think I can't watch/read something that is messed up without anime hijinks. Comedic relief/lightness can be done in many ways. Berserk for example has scenes here and there of Guts getting closer to a small cute witch daughter figure, Game of Thrones or Malazan Book of the Fallen has witty and/or charming characters whose humor doesn't necessarily clash with what is being presented because you can always expect a funny guy for example. Heck Yamato 2199 had a couple of light hearted episodes to dose down the constant battles (even that beach episode). With anime I've learned that their way of having light hearted moments in dramas is to have an episode or two of the cast hanging out. Akame Ga Kill is filled with these.

I just watched The Godfather part 1. I'm not going to compare the two, it's unfair obviously, but here's something that is very gruesome and brutal in its presentation and pacing, I don't think there were many light hearted scenes outside of the opening. It's not something I could marathon but I appreciate that they didn't feel the need to add more humor to clear the dark air.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that might have been either a bit of misdirection or just early installment weirdness. Also, I am perfectly fine with the dispatching of useless harem trash. More shows need to do this in fact.

it's not early installment weirdness. They continue with stuff like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom