• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that might have been either a bit of misdirection or just early installment weirdness. Also, I am perfectly fine with the dispatching of useless harem trash. More shows need to do this in fact.

Gonna agree with this, leaning more towards
misdirection
I mean the series spent the entire first episode making you think it was going to be a fun adventure/comedy series... And then it got dark fast

StormKing

I can't stand characters
dying en masse
when it's not a mecha show. I end up liking the side characters more than the main leads so I usually lose interest at that point. There are exceptions but generally I just can't enjoy it when it occurs in a non mecha anime. Anyone else feel the same way?

Mr.Jeff

every episode of Nozaki-kun is just as good or better than the first one :3
Well since I ended up watching the rest of the series thus far, I'd have to say it is pretty enjoyably funny. I've been noticing that the high detail cuts they used for episode 1 have been making the rounds a lot more which is a bit of a let down but such is life.
Hoping they stick to a more rigid cast soon though; feels like it's been a continuous stream of new characters thus far.

Now lets see if I can keep up to date with it...

Akame ga Kill 6
This seems to be entertaining me for different reasons than others here. Are people really able to take this seriously?

I can't stand characters
dying en masse
when it's not a mecha show. I end up liking the side characters more than the main leads so I usually lose interest at that point. There are exceptions but generally I just can't enjoy it when it occurs in a non mecha anime. Anyone else feel the same way?
I don't mind it if it's done well. But too often tryhard grimdark comes off as more humorous than anything.

I can't stand characters
dying en masse
Nope because in the vast majority of shows members of the main cast spent most of their times staying alive or always being saved or having an ace in the hole.

In fact I'd argue not enough main characters die.

Shizuka

I can't stand characters
dying en masse

I'm used to it, but the first death always get me by surprise.

I can't stand characters
dying en masse

No that's a really weird way to look at it

Also I'm putting Psycho Pass on indefinite hold, it's just really boring I might pick it up in English I'd probably enjoy it more there.

survivor

Banned
Wonder how it keeps getting published then.

It sells fine for the magazine it's published in. It doesn't pull the numbers of Inu × Boku SS, but the ~50k it pulls is more than enough. Yandere Kanojo went up to 14 volumes and that sells worse than AgK.

fertygo

I can't stand characters
dying en masse

Err.. can I know your reason why somehow mecha anime is an exception?

For the people saying they're not enjoying Akame Ga Kill because it's grim dark ends up being more hilarious what grim dark series do you think pull off grim dark very well? Or do you think grim dark by default is inherently silly?

jman2050

More Inami, more Poplar, more Yamada, more Sato, more everyone.

And based on what I've seen of the manga later on this should be something.

Also better add me to that list cause I'm Team Inami as well.

Clov

So with it be 'Working''!!' or 'Working!!!'?

It will be 'Working!!? Fumoffu'

For the people saying they're not enjoying Akame Ga Kill because it's grim dark ends up being more hilarious what grim dark series do you think pull off grim dark very well? Or do you think grim dark by default is inherently silly?

Depends on what you mean by "grimdark", since I see that term as meaning "a series that tries so hard to be dark it ends up being silly".

Angelic Layer Ep. 4

Misaki's wins don't really feel earned. She basically has won every match up until this point because reasons. Given that Hikaru is a light weight model, it doesn't make sense how she always wins with one blow. I don't like how Misaki keeps getting thrown into situations with no or little consent on her part. I guess that's the norm for this type of story, but I want her to develop her skills on her own terms.

I need to gif a scene in episode three which had animation that would make Toei blush.

StormKing

Err.. can I know your reason why somehow mecha anime is an exception?

Most mecha anime involve wars of some sort. Therefore multiple character deaths are expected and make sense in the context of the story.

A couple of deaths are fine but too many make it hard for me to care about the characters. Also it's disconcerting to have a constant shift in tone from light heartedness to despair and back constantly. I probably would have been able to enjoy it more if it was consistenly dark like Basilisk

Nafe

Well it's less targeted towards Houki specifically and more towards the unrequited, childhood friend idea. Every single one of the frustrates me because they lack impetus to move forward with the male character* yet somehow end up as the prime pick in most cases because of familiarity despite them generally being horrible people.

Houki was just pretty much the embodiment of all those aspects I hate.

Ah,okay. I personally didn't mind her character and it was really just why would you be interested in Ichika? Harems and all that though. I like her seiyuu Yoko Hikasa though so she probably gets bias points from that.

I guess the childhood friend thing didn't bother me as much because IS kind of goes and says why have one childhood friend when we could have two?! Haha. I guess it's because it's just so silly I happen to like it for all its quirks.

I'm watching Happiness Charge PreCure!, so Lon'qu was me Dio all this time. I'm getting bad at this.

Yes it has and it always mess it up when you reset with L+R+START+SELECT, and when I'm tired I don't switch back to japanese. =___=

And I'm getting Senran Kagura for research purposes. I swear. :p
I'm trying to do a beat 'em up this semester.

Okay, that's (mostly) good to hear. I prefer to have the choice in hearing both languages. It sounds like Bravely Default also has choice of language. I need to hear my Mgrgr in dual audio! Haha.

I forgot to mention it when making my last response but making a Senran Kagura OT should still be okay. It's not like you can't just talk about the gameplay mechanics and the girls personalities and such. It's not like you have to post a bunch of pictures of them in their bikini's with their outfits torn. Someone could just put up a disclaimer that it can have a bit of fanservice. It's not that hard guys. ;)

Sawashiro is also Robin, or at least one of the Robin voices.

Yeah, so Zach informs me,haha.

You need to join the IRC/Twitter cabal. :p lol

I had thought about going back to the IRC for a little visit again. I suppose it could also be true for yourself and many here but I just find when I have the time to do things they overlap. It's a choice then between NeoGaf, IRC, Anime, Games etc. and I'm usually just doing one of the others.

It also seems that it's more active later. I had signed on earlier sometimes when I had some time but no one was there talking and I might be there for half an hour or even an hour the one time and then I had to go.

Just a quick question since I don't think I've seen you comment on it but are you watching Glasslip from this season?

mankoto

Akame Ga Kill 5
So we get Sacchi's back story here. I think they changed Esdeath's introduction. I'll have to re-read this chapter again.

I would need to look at the manga but I wouldn't be surprised if Ichiro Okouchi weakened (to some degree) any feminist themes present in Angelic Layer.

Shounen Hollywood 6
Straight back into the depths of character development we go. We find out a bit more about Amaki. He felt like he didn't fit in with his friends so he left them. And now due to his screw up in the play, he feels like he doesn't fit in with Shounen Hollywood either claiming to not have a special place. Luckily, after Kira's speech as he feels like Akami doesn't have a right to say that since he's been following his own path, a practice session, and some really bad incense Akami is able to get out of his rut.

Good to see others picking this up, if you can ignore how bad the show looks in episodes 2-4, you'll get an interesting critique of the idol industry that managers to not be too overbearing!

jbug617

Banned
Akame ga Kill 6

dylan-shock.gif

Yo WTF. I did not expect that to happen and that scene
afterword with the monster eating her and you can only see her arm dangling out his mouth.

Please tell me that imperial guard and her pet is going to get destroyed

Akame ga Kill 6

dylan-shock.gif

Yo WTF. I did not expect that to happen and that scene
afterword with the monster eating her and you can only see her arm dangling out his mouth.

Please tell me that imperial guard and her pet is going to get destroyed

I hope you like
"Justice" Because you're going to see her for a long time

PK Gaming

Sabagebu 6

(Did they just...)

Best episode so far. There were a ton of great gags, and the student council prez character was a hilarious mess. I think the anime is really starting to hit its stride. Really looking forward to next week's episode.

BGdVWhU.gif

cajunator

Banned
Angelic Layer Ep. 4

Misaki's wins don't really feel earned. She basically has won every match up until this point because reasons. Given that Hikaru is a light weight model, it doesn't make sense how she always wins with one blow. I don't like how Misaki keeps getting thrown into situations with no or little consent on her part. I guess that's the norm for this type of story, but I want her to develop her skills on her own terms.

I need to gif a scene in episode three which had animation that would make Toei blush.

You are really overthinking this. Its no different from other shows of this type. The main character is always "special" in some way that makes them very good at the competition in a short time. They often also benefit from training with a master of the game.
Misaki also has these advantages.

Midonin

Captain Earth 19

Hana and Akari were the reasons I decided to watch the show, and while Akari's had a constant, if support presence, Hana's been shrouded in mystery since day one. Having a little more light on her past, and having her finally
return to/unlock the Blume, which is a spaceship she's apparently a living part of
do that was a nice little moment. The final battle is drawing closer.

jbug617

Banned
manga spoils:
not for a long, long time.

I hope you like
"Justice" Because you're going to see her for a long time

That episode just blows my mind.
The thought of someone from Night Raid would die never crossed my mind and now that has been established I guess there will be more deaths to follow

I think I'm hooked because I can't wait to see what happens when Tatsumi runs into her again because they seemed friendly for the first meeting.

tumblr_mm3d53Y8ng1rl6ypdo1_500.gif

Captain Earth 19

"Doesn't this avatar body excite you"

'no'

"you really don't have any libido"

WELL DUH if he did you two wouldn't be trying to devour the freaking planet -.-

Is CLAMP that reliable in that aspect for you?
That's what I would like to determine, though obviously an adaptation without their involvement is not the best way to go about it. Angelic Layer's premise is inherently interested in empowering femininity, even if it doesn't end up being all that successful.

Angelic Layer Ep. 5

I think this had the best match in the series thus far, even if it took liberties with established facts. I had to suspend my disbelief that Hikaru could successfully block attacks from an opponent with a heavier build. I wish Hatoko was the protagonist because she seems much more interesting at this point than Misaki. Even the narrative acknowledges that her wins are partly based on luck. :\ Hopefully Hatoko's loss of respect for Misaki will lead to some character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom