• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel that this applies to anime/manga fans more often than not.

6a0120a85dcdae970b01538e3ee72e970b-800wi.jpg

Nordicus

Assuming Inami is the girl in the gif, I need to make a list of people on her team.... so I can never trust people on that list because not only is she the worst girl in that show... she is one of my least favorite female characters of all time... as she is the sole reason I ended up dropping working as while I was enjoying everyone else in the cast I couldn't remotely stand her, and she was on screen way to much for an absolutely horrible psychopath that should have been in prisin long ago for violent behavior.
It's rich that the one person who's actually sorry for their abnormal behaviour and wants to fix it is the one you call a psychopath

zulux21

It's rich that the one person who's actually sorry for their abnormal behaviour and wants to fix it is the one you call a psychopath

maybe she changes later, but at least through the first 5 episodes of the series I never felt that she felt sorry about her behavior or actually wanted to change. She was just a very violent person who was alright to females and a horrible bitch to any male. I can get being afraid of males due to past events, but if she was a real person she would have been locked up long ago on multiple cases of assault and attempted murder :/ comedy or not I detested her and she completely ruined the show for me.

note:I haven't seen any working since the first season started airing so I might be forgetting some things, I just know that I can't think of any other anime that I dropped that I was enjoying (when she wasn't on screen) due to a single female character ruining the show for me.

Barakamon 6

[IM]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/barakamon6.jpg[/IMG]

the fujoshi in denial totes needs her own gag spinoff or something
Their army.

It has grown.

Assuming Inami is the girl in the gif, I need to make a list of people on her team.... so I can never trust people on that list because not only is she the worst girl in that show... she is one of my least favorite female characters of all time... as she is the sole reason I ended up dropping working as while I was enjoying everyone else in the cast I couldn't remotely stand her, and she was on screen way to much for an absolutely horrible psychopath that should have been in prisin long ago for violent behavior.

I slightly agree. Any progress she had made in season 1 was all but thrown away in season 2 for the sake of "HAHAHA LOOK AT THE TSUNDERE WHO HATES MALES PUNCH PEOPLE AGAIN". It was fucking cheap and made me hate the show a bit as they decided to keep the status quo.

Same with Sanji-clone and the katana girl, they seemed like maybe their relationship would move forward or he'd have the balls to gtfo, but nope let's keep the status quo and just have him be friendzoned and cockteased the whole show.

I'm in team Sanji-bro.

Clov

I'm excited for more Working! just for Yamada alone. I like the other characters, but Yamada really made the show for me.

I don't even hate Inami, but the humor began to wear a bit thin for me in S2.

Hattori

Banned
Tales of Princess Kaguya

A beautiful send-off for Takahata career (if it is one), it's fascinating because it takes what presumably a classic folklore story from japanese culture and frames it within a perspective that's what I could say distinct-inly feminist in how the film attempts to address the struggle for the protagonist to maintain her own autonomy and identity in light of the pressures society wants to enact on her, while appearing to be incredibly faithful to the original folk tale, despite having roots in a less progressive time, the ending is also incredibly bitter sweet in how it eventually resolves that core conflict that spurs throughout the film.

In a way reflecting on it further it feels like a culmination of everything that represents Takahata as a storyteller, all his themes are here, his love for tradition and simplicity over excessiveness extending to what he feels about what the "good life" constitutes, his unique sense of art direction, and his tendency to ground his story in a very down-to-earth way, with minimalistic use of fantasy elements, preferring instead to ground those elements in the imagination of his characters.

The animation, music and direction was also top-notch, not a single frame felt wasted, and from a animation perspective there's some real stand-out moments throughout, including a dream sequence that's like classic takahata in every way possible, reminiscent of his classic work in Anne of Green Gables and Only Yesterday.

What more can I say really? other then I'm incredibly glad I got to experience a film such as this, it was truly well-worth the wait, even if for some it might be a bit too calm, relaxed then what one usually expects from say a Miyazaki production, but I couldn't have asked for more from Takahata really. He's surely proven himself time and again, that he's the better, more consistent director over Miyazaki.

Giovanni island

I can't really get the motivation to say much other then... it was like a more bittersweet version of Grave of the Fireflies? it's kind of interesting to examine in the context of what's happening in Gaza right now? and it has some interesting allusions to a book I never read?

Not that it's a bad film at all. In fact it's a really good one, and I was definitely moved by it in a number of ways, but it's not dazzling me like Princess Kaguya did.
What a fantastic writeup, especially the second paragraph. I totally love the grounded feel of his films and it's simplistic nature. I also agree that he is a better Director than Miyazaki. (Not that Miyazaki is terrible)
This can't come soon enough!

Mr.Jeff

Barakamon - 01
Really enjoyed this although for a first episode it seems remarkably self-contained - almost as if it could have ended there. Daisuke Ono as always is really fun to listen to in roles like this.

Gekkan ShoujoNozaki-kun - 01
Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Some great little spots of humour added even during the "serious" parts. Having Miyano voice the perfect pretty boy from the manga was perfect. Next episode looks fun too.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Barakamon - 01
Really enjoyed this although for a first episode it seems remarkably self-contained - almost as if it could have ended there. Daisuke Ono as always is really fun to listen to in roles like this.

Gekkan ShoujoNozaki-kun - 01
Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Some great little spots of humour added even during the "serious" parts. Having Miyano voice the perfect pretty boy from the manga was perfect. Next episode looks fun too.

every episode of Nozaki-kun is just as good or better than the first one :3

Hyouka - 22 [Finished]

What a fantastic anime. Its biggest strength is clearly in the character department. The one best description I can come up with is that these characters feel "complete". Throughout the series each character's behavior, mannerisms and actions continue to form a more and more concise image of their self; they do so without ever really feeling completely explored.

That goes for Chitanda in particular. Pretty early on its clear she's this somewhat airheaded but also pretty smart. Down the line you learn that, when communicating with other people, she has this kind of naivety and childishness about her. Well, her entire attitude is that in a way. However at the same time she's also hard working, proficient at certain tasks; she's really good at cooking, school work and, I guess in general tasks that you can do when provided with a manual. Thinking around the corner however or dealing with more complex issues, such as properly expressing yourself or really understanding how people work, that she troubles with.

I'm not really sure if that actually applies or simplifies the matter and puts her in the wrong light, but in a way I think she hasn't achieved a more mature kind of thinking, yet. Something which the other three, Oreki especially, have. That, by the way, would actually make it especially interesting to see a sequel where this changes gradually (maybe college times?).

There's a lot to her and this also made me curious about her upbringing and life at home, that's explored especially towards the later episodes. You can easily see how her life in that large, important family with lots of traditions has shaped her.

Chitanda also being the polar opposite of Oreki in some regards, primarily the kind of deductive, logical and in a way mature mid, makes the interaction between the two so fricking great. When Chitanda's so overly excited about a mystery and gets up and very close to Oreki, disrespecting the personal space that he especially minds so much, it's hilarious. Like there's some genuinely good comedy in there. The kind of awkward situations in this show feel completely in character and not merely like some cheap, cliché attempt at humor. I can empathize really well with the characters and so it's funny every single time when Oreki is dreading the arrival of another 'kininarimasu'. Most humorous moments in this show feel actually genuine, which in return allows me to laugh genuinely instead of merely smirking and thinking "yeh that's kinda funny" to myself.

Okay I'm really bad with words and that took me unforgivably long to type down so I'll just mention some other aspects shortly.

The animation quality is very high and consistently so. There's also a lot of creative smaller sequences here and there when our protagonists are brooding about mysteries.

There's probably some interesting ways you can interpret the role of Oreki's sister in this show and I'm looking forward to reading some more in depths articles about Hyouka. She's a bit of the show's own mystery. Oh and there's so much to say about the/a potential romantic relationship between between Chitanda and Oreki as well...

The soundtrack seemed pretty strong overall. I don't think it outright amazed me but it's definitely quite good. The first OP really grew on me and I rarely resisted listening to it and both EDs seem decent at least. Didn't like the second OP much but also haven't listened to it a lot.

I'd give this show a 9/10. It doesn't really have a major flaw to me but the mysteries were more or less strong. It's mostly the characters that carried the episodes and made even the lamer mysteries somewhat fun to get through. I'm also felt like I had to suspense my disbelief a bit more than I would've liked. Even if I take it as a premise that Oreki really can deduce this masterfully and what not, during e.g. the Festival Later on and the entire club thief ordeal it all got a bit much. The school also appears to have quite a few peculiar characters that just so happen to come in contact with our club. I mean, the show needs to have some good mysteries and it isn't supposed to be super realistic or something, it still felt just a bit unnatural here and there. That said, this is complaining on a very, very high level. I wouldn't even be that opposed to give the show a 10/10, however it doesn't quite feel like that to me.

So that's it. I'd recommend this show to pretty much everyone and am now I'm one of the poor fellas that would like a sequel to this Hyouka but will probably never get one. While I think the ending is satisfying there's still a lot left to explore.

The only other works i've seen by KyoAni is Haruhi, I thought Kanon, Clanned, Love Chunibyo, and K-On were all good?

Amagi Brilliant Park had some nice art, but I don't think its going to be good. At all.

No I have not, guess ill add another to the backlog...

Just finished up 5, and it started to drag its heels a bit.

You need to watch the Full Metal Panic series. Though while the first season was produced by Gonzo. The other 2 (Fumoffu and second raid) were done by KyoAni. And by impressions from other people, Fumoffu is one of the best works from KyoAni.

Link Man

Banned
Woofdawg, as a connoisseur of fine Engrish, you owe it to yourself to check out the first episode of Kinmoza. Just watched it, and I think I may order the blu-ray now.

Midonin

Sabagebu 06

Yayoi filled a role I've been looking for in the show since it began. Someone who's willing to look at these people and say "Are you sure you should be doing that?" Her attempts were ultimately unsuccessful, but she's the counterpoint a bombastic character like Momoka and/or Mio needs. And the yakuza movie part was also okay because Momoka's hubris finally did her in for once. Even if it was all just a delusion.

Vylash

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 04

iJw1w5H0e1EPG.gif
iHL1nWha2HJ2j.gif

Did...did they...did they seriously take the optional quiz minigame from Golden and work it into Marie's social link? How did they even do that? Absolutely brilliant beyond words, now if only this show didn't look so terrible. Also Teddie's JP voice is the absolute worst thing

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sabagebu! Episode 6:

Ah, it may be a few episodes in but the Survival Club has gained an arch-rival in Student President Yayoi who proves to be about as insane as everybody else in this school and is already the sitcom arch-nemesis. Also, apparently the entire school is a bunch of yuri shippers and I think we might have found another portal into the mind of the one known as SDBurton and that can be unnerving.

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 04

iJw1w5H0e1EPG.gif
iHL1nWha2HJ2j.gif

Did...did they...did they seriously take the optional quiz minigame from Golden and work it into Marie's social link? How did they even do that? Absolutely brilliant beyond words, now if only this show didn't look so terrible. Also Teddie's JP voice is the absolute worst thing

I wouldn't say it's his JP VA fault, I'd say it's the character itself. I don't hate Teddie but he so annoying for both the NA and JP voice.

Woofdawg, as a connoisseur of fine Engrish, you owe it to yourself to check out the first episode of Kinmoza. Just watched it, and I think I may order the blu-ray now.

Thank you for reminding me of its existence. I just started the first episode and it's great!

Quasar

Baby Steps 19
iKZQmd0xStSRx.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Still am liking it though. Looks like I will get through my very first proper sports anime. I even have the urge to read the manga afterwards. In a way its surprise of the season, just for that.

Doki doki precure 1

So, my first foray into precure just to understand it.

The bad guys are literally called selfish?

Dude seriously. Stop what you're doing.

Go watch Futari Wa. At least know how the series began and then realize how utterly different it is from the rest. In fact, do that, and catch up on HappinessCharge. At the same time.

Fox318

Still am liking it though. Looks like I will get through my very first proper sports anime. I even have the urge to read the manga afterwards. In a way its surprise of the season, just for that.

Manga is really good.

Most sports Manga tend to spend too long on one match. Baby Steps isn't afraid to speed times forwards.

Manga is really good.

Most sports Manga tend to spend too long on one match. Baby Steps isn't afraid to speed times forwards.

I love the manga, but it also has times it spends many chapters in one match. And matches that in the long run won't matter with characters that were just introduced.

mankoto

Shounen Hollywood 5
They had their first play. It actually went well barring Akami's freeze. Luckily Kira saved the day with his adlib.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom