• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akame ga Kill 6

It begins.

Anyone that was on the fence or preparing to drop the show, watch this episode. Everything before this was essentially a prologue.

Despite some odd animation from time to time, White Fox got the fight down pretty well. The post-fight scenes were excellent, and I feel really captured the tone of the manga. Also seems like there was some easing up on the censorship, which is good to know.

Things only escalate further from here.

Nozaki-kun 6

LVNu08g.jpg

OTP has met. Everything is right with the world. Hilarious episode, Waka's VA killed it, and the 'argument' scene was great. Absolutely loving the adaptation

Hyouka - 21

Not done watching yet but damn, I love this show's humor. Makes me laugh genuinely; probably more than just about every other show, especially 'comedies'. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei being perhaps the exception.

So glad your enjoying it so much. :)

Your are blazing through it.

Midonin

Marimite 07-10

"Do you think it was Shiori Kubo that wrote the novel?"

At the moment Yoshino said that line, I was having the same thought. A bit of a shaggy dog story since the nom de plume was someone unrelated to Sei or Shiori, and the story took place a long time ago, but it brings up the idea that stories like Yumi's, and like Mifuyu's, have probably happened many times before, and once all the girls have graduated, will happen many times again. Seeing a modern city and a modern office was a bit of a surprise after several episodes spent on the quasi-French ardened campus.

I always wondered why it's common in yuri shows - and in yuri VNs for that matter - to have the characters be paired up at the start. With the sister system here, or how Sakura Trick had the couples more or less outlined in the OP. Even the Sono Hanabira series has the girls fall in love right away and spend the rest of the game flirting and having their troubles.

But in one of the big name yuri shows, there's a lot of unresolved feelings, not solely kept to those couples. It's a lot more love polygon than I first expected. Sei still has feelings for Shiori, and an admirer herself in Shizuka. (Man, she's popular.) And I haven't even talked about the Valentine's Day episode yet.

Lots of sweet little moments in the two parter and the alternate perspective conclusion. Sei getting to eat the cake because of Yumi not reading the situation was pretty cute, and I continue to enjoy Yoshino whenever she's on screen. Though it's not exactly the same, the show's giving me the same kind of cooldown feelings I got from Aria, or a lot of other Junichi Sato shows. It lives up to its reputation.

Jex

So, now that we're now half way through the Summer 2014 season of anime I thought that I'd share my thoughts on the crop of currently airing shows. In short, I feel that the major titles have been a disappointment and despite the fact that there are a number of decent shows, for the most part this season is distinctly unremarkable.

[Aldnoah.Zero]

This of the most anticipated titles of the season due to pedigree of the staff working on the project, namely the director Ei Aoki (Wandering Son, Fate/Zero, Girls Brazo) who has proved himself to be quite the up and coming star. Oh, and this show was also being touted in some circles as a Gundam Killer, although I don't know if anyone ever actually believed that was a serious claim.

While Ei Aoki has certainly delivered in terms of the overall direction of the series I can't really say anything particularly pleasant about this title. From the very first episode the show was filled with clumsy exposition and extremely thin characters set against a potentially interesting (but implausible) backdrop of a asymmetrical war between Earth and Mars. You know the idea, the Earth forces and completely out-gunned by the technologically superior, but far smaller in number, Martian forces leaving plucky and cunning kids to hatch clever schemes to defeat their overpowered opponents. Throw some political intrigue and cute girls into the mix and you have yourself a series.

Unfortunately the series has so far failed to deliver on making the Martian forces interesting, or the Earth fighters competent. Instead everyone in the Universe is an idiot except the main character, Inaho. Watching Inaho single handedly cripple the solar systems most powerful robots with a piece of chewing gum and a shoebox could potentially be enjoyable but unfortunately our leading man has the charisma or a styrofoam cup. The other main character, Slaine, is barely any better than Inaho, people only seem to like him because he's not a complete asshole, unlike practically everyone else in the Martian army. He's got about one characteristic, and that he's kind of a good guy, I guess. The rest of the cast are all one note and completely forgettable.

I don't care about anyone in this series. That's always a bad sign.

[Terror in Resonance]

Watanabe's other show, you know, the serious one. While I can't say that I'm particularly fond of the writing in this series either (why must the cast have so little character development?) and there does feel like there's a certain missed opportunity (the show is a lot more conservative and traditional then you'd expect) this show at least succeeds in doing what it set out to do: be a solid genre exercise. With great music.

Unfortunately, I, and others, probably wanted a bit more out of the show then a really well made genre piece, but there you have it. While this isn't a bad show by any means I can't think of a reason why I'd ever recommend it to anyone. It's just kind of there. Say what you like about Kids on the Slope, but at least that show had an extremely solid core cast and some truly amazing moments (that music festival). This series really lacks that kind of core emotional centre which, once again, is a big problem. I feel like this series could have that kind of emotional centre if it was open with the backstories of the protagonists, but in the service of being a genre piece it has to play games with the information it dishes out to the audience and make everything part of a greater mystery.

This is a mistake. We need a reason to care about the characters, also see Aldnoah.Zero.

[Sailor Moon]

Perfunctory.

[Sword Art Online: II]

y7M6i4Ol.jpg

Watching this show week to week makes me feel like the creators don't even understand the appeal of this show. I mean, it's a with wish-fulfilment fantasy, right? It's a somewhat sad wish, but it's pretty clear I think - be the most badass game ever, beat all the badies and have every girl fall in love with you. Simple, right?

Except that this show seems to think that it's a serious drama. It spent what felt like an eternity just establishing the basic set up of Kirtio's 'mission' and the world he be exploring, then it spent even more time exploring the traumatic life of new girl and in the most recent episode we were even gifted with dramatic insight into Kirtio's fears and regrets.

Zzzzzzzzz.

I don't care. I can't care. Kitio is a Gary Stu, don't try to pretend that he's a character and stop trying to pretend that you're a drama. I'm supposed to be seeing stupid action video game stuff like fighting and more fighting. This show shouldn't waste all its time on this false gravitas, you aren't fooling anyone. it should just stick with what it's "good" at, then at least it'll be entertaining to hate-watch it.

[Tokyo Ghoul]

Episode 1 had some nice animation, pity I couldn't see it because of censorship..

[Barakamon]

Well this is a surprise. A pleasant, well made and good looking comedy about an artist from the city moving to the countryside with, of course, wacky antics ensuing. This is good stuff. I don't really have anything bad to say about this show whatsoever.

[Space Dandy - 2nd Season]

While I still think this show is kind of uneven that's just the nature of any anthology series. Easily the most creatively rich title to come out of Japan in years.

[Sabagebu!]

While I enjoyed the way this show opened and the character of Momoka, I feel that this title peaked really early and just hasn't been as good ever since. It feels like a lot of the jokes run themselves into the ground quite quickly and the production values are spotty at best.

[Nozaku-kun]

A very competent comedy about a teenage mangaka. That is all.

[Stardust Crusaders]

JoJo's is still an enjoyable show, with flashes of brilliance, I do feel like they could have really sped up the pacing of this adaptation while losing relatively little in the process. Apart from that, I have no major complaints.

So overall, not bad, but I can't think of anything that I'll be putting on my "show of the year" list.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As somebody who hasn't watched -any- Summer shows yet I appreciate that post Jex (even though I think Space Dandy is complete junk). I should get around to watching Nozaki-kun (or is it Nozaku-kun?)

Jexhius you can say whatever you want about Aldnoah.Zero but you leave Slaine out of your complaints I swear on me mum I will wreck u.

As somebody who hasn't watched -any- Summer shows yet I appreciate that post Jex (even though I think Space Dandy is complete junk). I should get around to watching Nozaki-kun (or is it Nozaku-kun?)

It's very solid and consistent which is a big thing to say for a show. This and Barakamon are easily two of the must watch shows this season.

Sabagebu 6

(Did they just...)

Best episode so far. There were a ton of great gags, and the student council prez character was a hilarious mess. I think the anime is really starting to hit its stride. Really looking forward to next week's episode.

BGdVWhU.gif

Is this a anime/video game reference episode? Love those type of episodes.

And was that a reference to YuruYuri in that first shot?

Firemind

They did kinda. They made a series of OVAs which followed the progression of the manga.
Unfortunately they were rubbish.
I know, but I liked the characters and the presentation more in S1. I hear the manga portrays it more as a harem than a slice of life crime solving story.

So, now that we're now half way through the Summer 2014 season of anime I thought that I'd share my thoughts on the crop of currently airing shows. In short, I feel that the major titles have been a disappointment and despite the fact that there are a number of decent shows, for the most part this season is distinctly unremarkable.

With episode 6 out, now is the time to jump on Akame ga Kill.

Or not. Can't get a feel for where you'd stand on it. At the very least, I'm sure you'd write up some good impressions.

PK Gaming

Is this a anime/video game reference episode? Love those type of episodes.

And was that a reference to YuruYuri in that first shot?

No, the episode follows the newly introduced student council prez and her desire to take down the survival club. I posted that gif because I got a kick out of seeing Miou get exasperated at someone else's antics.

As for the first image, the writers are poking fun at the fact that Maya (the model) barely has a presence in the show. The narrator even comments on it!

Jex

With episode 6 out, now is the time to jump on Akame ga Kill.

Or not. Can't get a feel for where you'd stand on it. At the very least, I'm sure you'd write up some good impressions.

Well, I never say never.

Well, sometimes I say never.

But not often.

At the moment I have a myriad of commitments between currently airing titles, Hunter x Hunter with the family, Babylon 5 and Doremi so there's not that much time in my schedule but I can always put it on there somewhere.

Soma

Well at least I don't feel as bad about dropping Aldnoah a few weeks back.

Sabagebu hasn't really done anything for me either besides a few genuine laughs. I'm usually really easy to please when it comes to comedies but I think it really did peak early and I don't feel any desire to come back to it after I put it on hold.

Working is getting a season 3.......do not want. Seriously I hate the protagonist of that show, he is so annoying and very creepy if you ask me.

The only reason I watched it is for that blonde chef and the girl he tries confessing to with the samurai sword.

Well, I never say never.

Well, sometimes I say never.

But not often.

At the moment I have a myriad of commitments between currently airing titles, Hunter x Hunter with the family, Babylon 5 and Doremi so there's not that much time in my schedule but I can always put it on there somewhere.

Well it is just a grimdark super edgy shounen, so at the most you'd probably find it fun. No clue beyond that.

Sabagebu 6

First they make fun of Bulimia, now Acute Gastritis? Does this series know no bounds!?

Mr.Jeff

I know, but I liked the characters and the presentation more in S1. I hear the manga portrays it more as a harem than a slice of life crime solving story.
I can't say with complete confidence but the initial part of the story covered by the anime is slightly different but as for the stuff following that, it's mostly accurate. I mean there's action-y hijinks and drama but nothing really that sticks out.

For once the changes made for the anime adaptation were in it's favour.

Captain Earth 19

Barely covered breasts the episode
Are they really still using those high tech cup phones? There was an entire conversation this episode with those stupid things. Salty Dog, come on.
So the Blume is up now and Hana is stuck in it. Guess Captain is gonna have to Eva 2.22 her out of it again
Next episode looks pretty entertaining but dumb at the same time

Space Dandy 19

The return of Admiral Inferno Cop!
Meh episode.

Sabagebu 6

Wasn't really feeling the first half. Student Council prez was boring and it had a severe lack of Momoka being Momoka. Second half was much better as it was the club together doing incredibly dumb shit and being scumbags.

sonicmj1

[Aldnoah.Zero]

Unfortunately the series has so far failed to deliver on making the Martian forces interesting, or the Earth fighters competent. Instead everyone in the Universe is an idiot except the main character, Inaho. Watching Inaho single handedly cripple the solar systems most powerful robots with a piece of chewing gum and a shoebox could potentially be enjoyable but unfortunately our leading man has the charisma or a styrofoam cup. The other main character, Slaine, is barely any better than Inaho, people only seem to like him because he's not a complete asshole, unlike practically everyone else in the Martian army. He's got about one characteristic, and that he's kind of a good guy, I guess. The rest of the cast are all one note and completely forgettable.

I don't care about anyone in this series. That's always a bad sign.

I'm still baffled why the show's creators made their lead such an empty-faced cardboard nobody.

A character who isn't expressive can still be interesting. In fact, seeing Inaho in the show's early episodes made me think of one of the most fascinating enigmas of Ei Aoki's previous series, Fate/Zero's Kotomine Kirei. But Kirei's stoicism was also the foundation of his character arc. From the start of the series, he's trying to find a more satisfying way to live and find something to give his life a purpose. That allows him to slowly tear down his own facade and find something underneath.

Inaho is like some kind of problem-solving robot-piloting robot. Nobody seems to remark on his own sense of detachment or how emotionally removed he often seems from his surroundings. Even when he talks about his gut stirring him into action, he acts with the same placid demeanor as he does when telling his sister what's for breakfast. Why should I care about this guy? What sort of growth could possibly justify these episodes of emptiness?

Even Slaine, who has no hobbies or interests outside of his beloved princess, seems remarkable by comparison by virtue of having human emotions, and growing and changing as a person.

My step-bro is visiting and so far I've gotten him to watch all of Toradora and all of season 1 of Baka & Test. Going through the OVA's now and we move on to Season 2. He's enjoying both a lot. He hasn't watched much anime (DBZ, Naruto & DN) but he's already said Toradora is his favorite so far.

Can't wait to get him into some Key anime. :3

Sabagebu 6

Wasn't really feeling the first half. Student Council prez was boring and it had a severe lack of Momoka being Momoka. Second half was much better as it was the club together doing incredibly dumb shit and being scumbags.

What with the whole "Prez is in rabu with Miou" thing at the end. Waka showed us how it's done!

Didn't care for the first half of Sabagebu as well.

So overall, not bad, but I can't think of anything that I'll be putting on my "show of the year" list.

Thanks, Jexhius. You just convinced me that I should give up on anime.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm still baffled why the show's creators made their lead such an empty-faced cardboard nobody.

A character who isn't expressive can still be interesting. In fact, seeing Inaho in the show's early episodes made me think of one of the most fascinating enigmas of Ei Aoki's previous series, Fate/Zero's Kotomine Kirei. But Kirei's stoicism was also the foundation of his character arc. From the start of the series, he's trying to find a more satisfying way to live and find something to give his life a purpose. That allows him to slowly tear down his own facade and find something underneath.

Inaho is like some kind of problem-solving robot-piloting robot. Nobody seems to remark on his own sense of detachment or how emotionally removed he often seems from his surroundings. Even when he talks about his gut stirring him into action, he acts with the same placid demeanor as he does when telling his sister what's for breakfast. Why should I care about this guy? What sort of growth could possibly justify these episodes of emptiness?

Even Slaine, who has no hobbies or interests outside of his beloved princess, seems remarkable by comparison by virtue of having human emotions, and growing and changing as a person.

Both Kirei and Kiri's development were in the 2nd half of Fate/Zero. I remember people making the same complaints about both the leads in F/Z.

Jex

Thanks, Jexhius. You just convinced me that I should give up on anime.

Well I wouldn't go that far. There are still shows worth watching this season but the majority of it can safely be avoided. I personally don't think that's a problem because it would just give one more time to watch genuinely great, older shows.

Don't forget how annoying smartass he is. "that is the Krinzeimmer Effect, that's why the plasma can modify bullet's trajectories!", or
Inaho "this is the Rayleign scattering, that's why the sky is blue".
Princess "but.. but... Slaine said it was..."
Inaho "fuck Slaine! I said Rayleigh scattering! Do I have to beat some bitches?!"

sonicmj1

Both Kirei and Kiri's development were in the 2nd half of Fate/Zero. I remember people making the same complaints about both the leads in F/Z.

Even at the beginning of Fate/Zero, Kirei wanted something. He thought that Kiritsugu might be a kindred spirit who could provide him answers about his own life.

What does Inaho want?

Terror In Resonance 01-05
Refreshing compared to other shows this summer. Always nice to see a crime drama about the bad guys but I am pretty worried it will fall into a generic place/cycle eventually. Feel like its getting there with the last episode I watched but it might be able to keep itself interesting.

Or it will turn into a Death Note clone.

Also Aimer is an amazing singer but that ending songs melody is pretty hard to listen to for most of it. I know its the point but... yeahhh.

Mr.Jeff

Barakamon -02
Wasn't feeling this at all. Naru becomes annoying very quickly and I can see the two girls also becoming irritating. Will give it another episode.

Sabagebu - 01
Jokes were mostly a miss if I'm honest. High point was Momoka turning evil but everything else was quickly skimmed past. Hmmm. 3 ep rule for this one I think.

Barakamon -02
Wasn't feeling this at all. Naru becomes annoying very quickly and I can see the two girls also becoming irritating. Will give it another episode.

Sabagebu - 01
Jokes were mostly a miss if I'm honest. High point was Momoka turning evil but everything else was quickly skimmed past. Hmmm. 3 ep rule for this one I think.

For both of those, the next episodes are better.

Around the second episode I thought that maybe later they would explain some trauma explaining weird Inaho's personality, just because it would be very typical to have a past drama for characters that behave that way, but at this point I don't know if it would matter. He is really really a cardboard. One with lots of wikipedia knowledge but still a cardboard.

Kiritsugu had a goal, a hidden but still noticeable motivation, he followed it with agency. Inaho just reacts mechanically to whatever is happening each ep and even in the off moments he is a logical machine.

Kiritsugu was a trained professional, an assassin, an adult with experience, so his "calm, cold, pro" behavior from the start makes a bit more sense's than teenager Inaho. And by the virtue of being an adult one can imagine more easily that he had lived a life full of strife that made him that way, instead of a teenager with a nice onee-san and his highschool friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom