• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Jexhius. You just convinced me that I should give up on anime.

It's true that the season is being in general weak, but still you should watch Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, and let's not forget Hunter x Hunter just because it didn't start this year. We had the excellent Mushishi and Ping Pong the pas season. And in a pair of weeks we will have a pair of Mushishi episodes, if I remember correctly.

Jarmel

Banned
Even at the beginning of Fate/Zero, Kirei wanted something. He thought that Kiritsugu might be a kindred spirit who could provide him answers about his own life.

What does Inaho want?

I haven't seen Saturday's episode but it seems Inaho is trying to survive for the time being. He doesn't have the rivalry yet with Slaine(which is where I'm guessing the story is going). He so desperately wanted to meet/fight Kiri is because he assumed they were the same (an emotionally hollow human).

Around the second episode I thought that maybe later they would explain some trauma explaining weird Inaho's personality, just because it would be very typical to have a past drama for characters that behave that way, but at this point I don't know if it would matter. He is really really a cardboard. One with lots of wikipedia knowledge but still a cardboard.

Kiritsugu had a goal, a hidden but still noticeable motivation, he followed it with agency. Inaho just reacts mechanically to whatever is happening each ep and even in the off moments he is a logical machine.

Kiritsugu was a trained professional, an assassin, an adult with experience, so his "calm, cold, pro" behavior from the start makes a bit more sense's than teenager Inaho. And by the virtue of being an adult one can imagine more easily that he had lived a life full of strife that made him that way, instead of a teenager with a nice onee-san and his highschool friends.

Kiri was hardcore after
the zombie outbreak on the island
. So he was definitely pretty screwed up even as a kid.

I'm sure Inaho has some big backstory to him just as Slaine has a huge backstory.

Oh my goodness! OH MY GOODNESS!!!

You are just going to watch so much great anime. :)

I hope I'm not running out too soon considering the speed at which I'm burning through this stuff.

Well for now, the first episode of Chihayafuru as appetizer before I go to bed, may it grant me sweet dreams.

Guess since it's halfway through the season I'll update my standings. I don't remember what they were before!

Nozaki-kun (most consistent quality)
Sabagebu
Barakamon

High
JoJo
HxH
Space Dandy (least consistent quality, like always)
Gundam-san

Alright
Terror
Aldnoah
Sailor Moon
SAO II
Akame ga Kill
Captain Earth

Still watching
Mahouka I guess
Himegoto

Well I wouldn't go that far. There are still shows worth watching this season but the majority of it can safely be avoided. I personally don't think that's a problem because it would just give one more time to watch genuinely great, older shows.

Whatever. It's not like Japan will ever make a genuinely great show - or anything - ever again. Washed up country with a washed up people.

PK Gaming

He's there for Seo to play off of, and Seo is amazing, so . . . kinda? More Waka means more Seo. And he's moe.

That's a hell of a persuasive argument.

Guess i'll give him some time then. Either way, he brings Seo, and more Seo is definitely a good thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill 6
This seems to be entertaining me for different reasons than others here. Are people really able to take this seriously?

I don't mind it if it's done well. But too often tryhard grimdark comes off as more humorous than anything.

I have seen worse, this season, looking at you Tokyo Ghoul.

Barakamon -02
Wasn't feeling this at all. Naru becomes annoying very quickly and I can see the two girls also becoming irritating. Will give it another episode.

Sabagebu - 01
Jokes were mostly a miss if I'm honest. High point was Momoka turning evil but everything else was quickly skimmed past. Hmmm. 3 ep rule for this one I think.

The second episode of Barakamon is the odd one compared to the rest. It had 3 chapters cramped together. All in all it's really splendid and one of the best this season.

Akame ga Kill 6
This seems to be entertaining me for different reasons than others here. Are people really able to take this seriously?

I can think it's both cool and not take it super seriously at the same time. Doesn't mean I can't get attached to characters in works that I don't take seriously.

I have seen worse, this season, looking at you Tokyo Ghoul.

To tell you the truth Tokyo Ghoul's manga is a whole lot better than Akame Ga Kill. The only reason the anime seems worse is because Studio Pierrot didn't faithfully adapt the series. Instead of taking their time they are rushing the adaptation.

It's true that the season is being in general weak, but still you should watch Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, and let's not forget Hunter x Hunter just because it didn't start this year. We had the excellent Mushishi and Ping Pong the pas season. And in a pair of weeks we will have a pair of Mushishi episodes, if I remember correctly.

If I ever watch Hunter X Hunter again, it'll be the superior 1999 version instead of the current version. My reliable sources such as Jexhius lead me to understand that there is no reason to watch the new version, because it's inferior at covered the shared material and the new material, Greed Island and Chimera Ant, is shitty.

Firemind

SAO2 #5+6

Could Kawahara be more blatant in ripping off Star Wars? The antagonist even inhales and exhales like Darth Vader! I suppose visionaries too get inspirations from dreams created by things they've seen before.

Watching this show week to week makes me feel like the creators don't even understand the appeal of this show. I mean, it's a with wish-fulfilment fantasy, right? It's a somewhat sad wish, but it's pretty clear I think - be the most badass game ever, beat all the badies and have every girl fall in love with you. Simple, right?

Except that this show seems to think that it's a serious drama. It spent what felt like an eternity just establishing the basic set up of Kirtio's 'mission' and the world he be exploring, then it spent even more time exploring the traumatic life of new girl and in the most recent episode we were even gifted with dramatic insight into Kirtio's fears and regrets.

Zzzzzzzzz.

I don't care. I can't care. Kitio is a Gary Stu, don't try to pretend that he's a character and stop trying to pretend that you're a drama. I'm supposed to be seeing stupid action video game stuff like fighting and more fighting. This show shouldn't waste all its time on this false gravitas, you aren't fooling anyone. it should just stick with what it's "good" at, then at least it'll be entertaining to hate-watch it.

The past two arcs both had elements of drama in them. Some were getting to the point of being almost comical, but other media are full of exaggerated shit as well. That is what elicits a response from the viewer/reader. I'm not saying Kirito is the most interesting fictional character ever, but the show has been consistent in what it does. Haters Tsunderes gonna hate hatewatch.

I'm actually glad Kawahara brought back the first arc, since it's the arc where the most interesting stuff happened. dis gun b gud

789shadow

Banned
If I ever watch Hunter X Hunter again, it'll be the superior 1999 version instead of the current version. My reliable sources such as Jexhius lead me to understand that there is no reason to watch the new version, because it's inferior at covered the shared material and the new material, Greed Island and Chimera Ant, is shitty.
There is literally no one on earth who actually believes this

There is literally no one on earth who actually believes this

Which one is the "better version" is debatable but the new arcs covered by the 2011 version are good.
Jex and others may have some issues with the pacing of the latter arc, but I don't believe most would say it's shitty.

As much as I like the comedy shows this season, I am really not in any hurry to watch any of them every week. They only really get a few chuckles from me at best.

Gotta give it up for Nozaki-kun and Barakamon for looking decent throughout the season though.

My list:

Decent:
Terror in Resonance
Shounen Hollywood

Okay:
Nozaki-kun
Barakamon
Sabagebu

Not Okay:
Aldnoah Zero
Tokyo Ghoul
Akame ga Kill

Boring:
Glasslip
Bakumatsu Rock

Overall I have found the second series to be fairly enjoyable. Some of the pacing is a bit odd, as some of it felt too fast, and some of it felt too slow but most of it has felt about right (and overall better then the pacing of the end of the first series) and at the very least way better then the pacing that is currently going on in one piece or that was going on at the end of the last major arc in hunter x hunter (don't know if you watch either of those)

To be fair though most of the pacing issues were during episodes that I had already read in the manga (so I might not just be able to notice odd pacing issues as well with the more current eps that I haven't read the manga for) as I wasn't a fan of where the first season left off and I wanted to get to a better stopping point (and did and hoped for a new season and got it lol)

My only big complaint is some of the drastically different character designs from the first season. while a number of the characters at least look close to the first season's designs (like for example natsu doesn't look much different) some of them look quite a bit different in general you can still tell who they are, but some of the characters have a different vibe. Beyond that I would have preferred if blood use in dramatic moments was turned up a bit more... but it's at least there a little bit which is better than you can say for most of the first series. Series one early spoiler.
God I was angry for a while when gray took a ice rod through the gut and there wasn't any damage beyond a slight bruise... it killed all the drama from the scene @_@ (this was when he first faced leon early on.
final thoughts: if you have enjoyed Fairy Tail the second series won't disappoint you.

Thanks for that :D I actually really enjoyed the character designs from season 1, so bummer many of them changed, but eh, what ya gonna do. I'll have to post some impressions when I get there.

Articalys

Well, I may not be sure what show I like the most from this season, but Glasslip is definitely the worst. I don't know how they managed to make such garbage out of an interesting premise. When the ending is the best part of your show, you've got a real problem.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 6:

SO we meet another new face in Wakamatsu, seems like he is here to be the foil to other people and that is just fine. I do think that out of the comedies of this season this one is the sharpest of the bunch, though a bit overly reliant on the meta-textual humor at times.

Aye. Opening episode was decent. Will give my impression when I'm a few more episodes in.

PS: Hmm have been listening to the first Hyouka ED a bit more and really like it quite a bit at this point.

Alright. Sounds good. Once Chihayafuru gets going it gets good.

First OP and ED for Hyouka are the best.

BearPawB

Banned
So i wanted to get into the fate/stay series. Which recently I have heard people rave about. But i could have sworn there was one of the series that was like, absolute dog shit? No?

What should i be watching to get into this?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly its hard to go wrong with like -any- baseball anime.

Everything else is ... spotty. There is no good football anime. Giant Killing might be the best of the bunch.

I don't think there are actually any anime for hockey or golf? Basketball has some good ones most notably Slam Dunk, Tennis has Prince of Tennis (ehhhh) and Aim for the Ace! which is quite enjoyable.

But yeah go with Touch or Cross Game. Touch is the better show but if you're looking for something a little more modern than Cross Game is great too.

jman2050

Nozaki-kun 6

That entire rooftop scene... the best parts were Nozaki's reactions.

3GgAR7D.jpg

Stoof

Honestly its hard to go wrong with like -any- baseball anime.

Everything else is ... spotty. There is no good football anime. Giant Killing might be the best of the bunch.

I don't think there are actually any anime for hockey or golf? Basketball has some good ones most notably Slam Dunk, Tennis has Prince of Tennis (ehhhh) and Aim for the Ace! which is quite enjoyable.

But yeah go with Touch or Cross Game. Touch is the better show but if you're looking for something a little more modern than Cross Game is great too.
I was looking through a list of sports anime and it does look like there's a decent amount of baseball shows that could be good.

Thanks for recommendations everyone, felt like watching something different for a change.

Non Non Biyori 10

Those scenes with baby Renge dear lord my heart now I know how Cajun feels

Hunter x Hunter 141

812fbac38d.jpg

Gee, thanks CR

Hey, look at all these wacky candidates! We'll trot them out as slowly as possible!
Can't knock that part to much, it's more Togashi's style I guess. We even got one of these character trots the very latest chapter. But I kind of forgot the difference between hunters with stars and the ones without and what 1, 2 and 3 star hunters did to get them..

They did good on Illumi's bloodlust, but not so good on those cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom