• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Honestly its hard to go wrong with like -any- baseball anime.

Everything else is ... spotty. There is no good football anime. Giant Killing might be the best of the bunch.

Fake football you mean, there's a good REAL football anime:

0uXTIJY.jpg

Nozaki-kun Episode 6

Great episode, more Seo is always nice. That confession scene was funny with all the misunderstandings. Seeing Hori, Sakura, and Waka work together to help Nozaki was funny. Hope we see more of Kashima.

Necrovex

Hunter X Hunter 35

Wait, so blood is a no-no here, but everything is cool with Hisoka implying he has an erection for Gon and a glowing light on his dick? Japan. Madhouse. You be crazy.

There was also some fantastic animations in this episode. Looks like I am about to be done with this arc.

Fake football you mean, there's a good REAL football anime:

0uXTIJY.jpg

To be fair, the anime really fucks up the artstyle. The manga's art was some god-tier stuff.

What are some good sports anime to watch for someone who's not watched any?

If you're in the mood for something more alternative than the typical sports, Girls und Panzer is quite good. I'm almost done with it myself, and I can only see it going up!

And of course, Ping Pong is great.

Stoof

If you're in the mood for something more alternative than the typical sports, Girls und Panzer is quite good. I'm almost done with it myself, and I can only see it going up!

And of course, Ping Pong is great.
Added Ping Pong to my list and I've made sure to watch GuP. It was sooo good.

Rhapsody

Banned
the anime sucks doe.

And no, that's handegg.

This. It was good for the beginning until the animations got even worse and there were tons of filler.

The manga's godlike.

While Prince of Tennis is/gets ridiculous, it's actually fun to watch if you just want crazy shounen sports lol

fertygo

This. It was good for the beginning until the animations got even worse and there were tons of filler.

The manga's godlike.

While Prince of Tennis is/gets ridiculous, it's actually fun to watch if you just want crazy shounen sports lol

PoT's anime is quite ugly too, no?

jgminto

Guess I'll do something on the shows I'm watching this season too.

Summer Shows:
Space Dandy S2
Space Dandy has been really strong this season. I'm glad they were able to keep the momentum of the first season end going after the break. I'd say the strongest episodes so far were Episode 3 "Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby", Episode 5 "The Big Fish is Huge, Baby" and Episode 2 "There's Music in the Darkness, Baby". The first two are fairly self-explanatory, they're both visual masterpieces that created wonderful alien worlds. Many will probably disagree with the third though. It was a fairly standard episode but the marionette alien created a wonderfully creepy tone throughout. A lot of people enjoyed Episode 4 "The Transfer Student is Dandy, Baby" and while it was an entertaining episode, it was quite hollow with it's homages and references. It felt like somebody tried to create an 80's high school movie without totally understanding the concept and what makes it great.
Shounen Hollywood
The surprise of the season. Not many people are watching this but that's not really shocking, I certainly wasn't expecting much out of it. What I found though was a pleasant slice of life show about a group of boys realising their dreams and exploring the former dreams of their predecessors. It's an extremely heart felt story and not something people would expect from a show about idols. The characters feel grounded and real, they're not just a checked box for a character archetype like other idol show. The show isn't afraid of taking risks either, the fifth episode was based entirely on a play performed by the characters. It was really fascinating and I had never seen anything like it before. If you're looking for a good slice of life show or something more genuine from the idol genre, give this a shot.
Love Stage!!
A solid adaptation of the source material with some added humour that mostly hits. Most of the problems I have with this show are shared throughout the BL genre. Both of the main characters don't identify as gay or bi in the beginning, this leads to scenes of the main character getting flustered and saying things like "Two men!? That's weird!" or something similar and possibly worse. It's constantly frustrating and it'd be nice if they could adapt a show with a consciously gay or bi main character for once. The second big problem with much of the genre is the use of sexual assault. It's used pretty commonly in the genre and it's very offputting. I feel like that wouldn't be accepted in a show about a straight relationship these days and it shouldn't be for a gay one. The rest of the show is really entertaining though and has some fun characters. While I do have some problems with it I also appreciate that it is a show about gay relationships when they aren't very common.
Terror in Resonance
I was quite sour on the show at the beginning but it has improved somewhat over time. Shibazaki is the main reason for this, it helps to have a rival for the duo that isn't a moron. There are still problems though, mainly Lisa. She's just...there. She isn't really doing anything interesting and the show isn't exploring her emotions and motivations well but it is still dedicating so much time to her. Hopefully the attention given to her will lead to something interesting but I can't see it.
Free! Eternal Summer
A great start after the abysmal second half of the first season. The show has thankfully stuck to light-hearted stories most of the time but they have explored some light drama that hasn't been terrible. I still feel like a drama bomb is going to get dropped soon and ruin the show. The relay is next episode and we're only halfway through the season so they'll need something to drive it for the second half and it wouldn't surprise me to see Kyoani fuck up again and attempt heavy drama for the second half. I hope it doesn't.
Aldnoah.Zero
Everyone is boring, everyone is stupid aside from one AMAZING high school student. Watch how much better he is than all these idiotic adults who get destroyed in seconds each time but somehow our uncharismatic hero is able to defeat the martian menace. It's a frustrating show and it suffers from the same problem I had with the first season of SAO, everybody is terrible and I just want to see them die slowly.
DRAMAtical Murder
The disappointment of the season. I really wanted this to be good. The story of the VN, while it had some problems, was actually an entertaining science fiction romp. This adaptation has been terrible though. They've spent far too much time on the slow first half of the story and have tried to hint at future story events in some really terrible ways. It looks terrible but not as bad as the infamous first release of episode 3. I doubt they're going to go with a romantic route but I hope I'm wrong about that. It feels like a classic rush job where nobody actually gives a shit about the source or the quality of the adaptation. It's a real shame.
Sword Art Online 2
I didn't think it could be worse than the first season...but they succeeded at that. While the first season was incredibly dumb, it wasn't boring. This has been both dumb and boring. Good job at making a show about a guy named DEATH GUN who can shoot dudes through their power outlet boring. Instead of that lets focus on Kirito's idiotic drama that he developed at just the convenient time. Even though I was able to survive the first season, I might have to drop this if it continues to be so boring.

Continuing Shows:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
This has been an amazing adaptation and it's only going to continue getting better. They've really done an amazing job with this and it's obvious that they care a great deal about the source material. The fact that they were able to successfully adapt The Sun into one of the best episodes of the season says a lot. It's going to be painful when the show goes on break next season but I'll bear it.
Haikyuu!!
What an amazing start to the interhigh this has been. The Dateko match was fantastic and all of the character moments surrounding it are really satisfying. All of the other teams are interesting too, which is something that I feel elevates a sports show. It's much more satisfying when the main team aren't the only ones that get any care or attention. Definitely the best currently airing sports show.
Baby Steps
Bring back the Zombies of the Court...I could deal with that but not this! The show has actually been really entertaining too and following Ei-chan's move to go pro is exciting. BUT GOD DAMN IS IT UGLY!!! I think it's the ugliest thing this season that isn't the first airing of DRAMAtical Murder Episode 3.
Ace of Diamond
After the snail's pace of the previous game it's refreshing to move onto something new and it seems like it's moving faster. I'm hoping it will only be a 3 or 4 episode game though, I can't take any more long games like that.
Hunter x Hunter
The new arc has been really solid so far. Both the election and Killua's trip with Alluka have been quite interesting so far. It's also great to see old faces like Leorio and Hisoka returning after so long. It's like meeting an old friend for the first time in years.

Andrew J.

So, now that we're now half way through the Summer 2014 season of anime I thought that I'd share my thoughts on the crop of currently airing shows. In short, I feel that the major titles have been a disappointment and despite the fact that there are a number of decent shows, for the most part this season is distinctly unremarkable.

Strongly disagree. This is a great season for comedy. You're nuts if you think Sabagebu has gotten stale, you don't give Space Dandy (guaranteed AOTY winner) or Nozaki-kun enough credit, and you didn't even mention Primsa Illya 2wei.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
http://a.pomf.se/legksb.webm

Wonderful mirror world episode showcasing everyone's alternate self like Crybaby Ash, Mischief Pikachu, Tsundere Serena, Wizard/Speedster Clemont, and Onii-sama spouting Bonnie.

Could do without the obligatory Team Rocket appearance, but it was worth it just to see them at the end.

And thank you based director/animators for providing us with these truly important moments.

Doesn't ash always leave the girl behind when he goes to a new region?

cajunator

Banned
Oh my goodness! OH MY GOODNESS!!!

You are just going to watch so much great anime. :)

I really admire your enthusiasm for what you love. I respect that.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Episode 1

JUST SAY IT. SAY IIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

N-n-n-n-Nozaki kun!

Thanks, Jexhius. You just convinced me that I should give up on anime.

What? I mean, its your choice but maybe just take a break from it. Dont give up on such a wonderful medium!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Strongly disagree. This is a great season for comedy. You're nuts if you think Sabagebu has gotten stale, you don't give Space Dandy (guaranteed AOTY winner) or Nozaki-kun enough credit, and you didn't even mention Primsa Illya 2wei.
I don't think any of these shows are funny.

Barakamon Episode 6

Gotta catch them all Pokemon!

Anyways that was a splendid episode. That scene with friend forever was amazing.
tumblr_na36uhDZVk1qba9qlo2_500.gif

We also got to see Naru selling shells like a boss. It was nice seeing Handa over-coming things through the help of Naru. Oh also we clearly have the best mom of the year ( I'm gonna break your jaw).

That ending with Tamako, holy shit that was hilarious.
tumblr_na3czb6Nmi1qfmbc9o2_400.gif

Clov

I don't think any of these shows are funny.

Space Dandy's had some funny moments. This season of Space Dandy's actually been much better than the first. The only really bad episode this season so far was the last one.

Looking at Wikipedia, Sayo Yamamoto's doing another episode. I hope it's better than her last one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's not as good as the mango because they need to stretch out scenes to fill the time.

4 panel strips work only because they are very tightly paced, and some of that efficiency gets lost in translation.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not as good as the mango because they need to stretch out scenes to fill the time.

4 panel strips work only because they are very tightly paced, and some of that efficiency gets lost in translation.

Definitely my problem with the adaptation so far, though it's not really its fault.

Still enjoying it.

there are parts of it like that, but then there are parts that are infinitely more funny animated and with the VO. I think this episode was a great example of the latter. The entire Waka x Seo rooftop scene was fantastic. Massively surpassed my expectations.

The dating sims an episode or two ago with Mikorin and Nozaki were similarly so much better animated.

I think that's self-explanatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom