• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Yeah, but it's like Kokopops Connect Four in that it's a lot of relationship angst with a slight scifi twist. Which is fine, but there's not much to say about the show other than the fact that they have a step-sibling love square.

Haha. I'm going to assume that stands for the show Kokoro Connect. I haven't seen that one yet. Okay, I was going to say it was something like last years Tari Tari but without the music angle and focusing more on the slice of life and relationship angst with a little bit of a supernatural element to it. It doesn't focus too much on that and it's really more just another tool or catalyst for the drama and interactions of the characters.

Okay, I was just wondering. Yeah, sometimes it wouldn't bother me to post more but I don't feel I have too much to add and that maybe the show is just fairly straightforward enough anyway.

Bonus question. If I were to start either Aria or Tamayura, which one would you recommend to go through first?

Vylash

I don't think people even know what pretentious means anymore, the word is right up there with deconstruction at this point

Branduil

i thought that was aku no hana.

Aku no Hana is pretentious, but at least it has substance to back up its pretense. Plus it's thematically consistent with how the protagonist views the world.

Ano Hana is a stuffmonger in an "I <3 ANIME ^_^" tshirt, pacing the city square, yelling "FEELS! Get your FEELS here!" while selling Anaru figures on the side.

Taruranto

Ano Hana had like 2 decent episodes, after that it was love quadrangle and shitty key-tier drama.

Hunter X Hunter 36

Hisoka is truly a freak.

Hisoka is love, Hisoka is life.

SaHlKAs.jpg

Clov

i thought that was aku no hana.

image.php

Flowers of Evil is probably one of the most honest anime in a while. It may have an unconventional animation style, but it doesn't overreach in any way. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Now if you want to call the main character pretentious, that's fine, since that's sort of the point.

Necrovex

Hisoka is love, Hisoka is life.

SaHlKAs.jpg

Oh. My. God. Maybe it's time to go back to reading a book instead of watching anime.

If you're willing to take the blue pill and see how far the rabbit hole goes I'm sure a brother here will hook you up. But it's not for those with weak constitution. It requires a passion for the arts.

I need to see this true ending of Ano Hana. Give it to me!!!!

Branduil

The real problem with Ano Hana is that it's heavily diluted Okada. If you're going to binge on sappy melodrama and characters who act like drama vampires, why not go for the pure stuff? Watch Black Rock Shooter TV and thank me later.

Kara no Kyoukai

Terrible movies with terrible generic anime cliches. Story progression is shit cuz they're mixed through the first few movies. No explanation what those mystic eyes of death perception are, no explanation why some people have supernatural abilities, what Shiki's family is, how she moved from her Japanese mansion to a flat. Why does she have 2 personalities and starts killing everyone. Major gaps in the plots that go unexplained, + going back and forth in the story all the time, to create the illusion of mystery and mindfucking the watcher, nothing wrong with that, but they always fail to deliver when the twists come to the climax. Utter failure of a format, some shows do it really good, this is a fine example of failure. Mikiya is the most bland and boring character in anime, doesn't have feelings, doesn't get angry, only shows smiles and irritating kindness.

We have truth seekers among us. Somebody with the link who is not on mobile pm them. Their eyes need to be opened and overpowered by the light. More wise blind sages shall join our ranks.

Branduil

Kara no Kyoukai

Terrible movies with terrible generic anime cliches. Story progression is shit cuz they're mixed through the first few movies. No explanation what those mystic eyes of death perception are, no explanation why some people have supernatural abilities, what Shiki's family is, how she moved from her Japanese mansion to a flat. Why does she have 2 personalities and starts killing everyone. Major gaps in the plots that go unexplained, + going back and forth in the story all the time, to create the illusion of mystery and mindfucking the watcher, nothing wrong with that, but they always fail to deliver when the twists come to the climax. Utter failure of a format, some shows do it really good, this is a fine example of failure. Mikiya is the most bland and boring character in anime, doesn't have feelings, doesn't get angry, only shows smiles and irritating kindness.

The power of Nasu.

5 is the only one that's especially good, and that's mostly because of the direction.

Necrovex

We have truth seekers among us. Somebody with the link who is not on mobile pm them. Their eyes need to be opened and overpowered by the light. More wise blind sages shall join our ranks.

Will I become a broken person by learning this truth? I read and survived PunPun, so I can handle depressing ass shit.

Cat Planet Cuties 1
I've been leaving this on the plate for far too long. Hitokage recommended it to me a while ago, and I just kept putting it off promising him I would. Now that he's gone, I feel awful for just stringing him along. I gotta make up for it, even if he can't see this...
So far? Very confused, but who cares? Tits and ass for everyone! Now I just need them to shut up and bounce more.
5mTeDt8.png

This post was brought to you by A&W All American Food

Quasar

Flowers of Evil is probably one of the most honest anime in a while. It may have an unconventional animation style, but it doesn't overreach in any way. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Now if you want to call the main character pretentious, that's fine, since that's sort of the point.

You say unconventional, but to me that was just a visible sign of its pretension choosing that style.

Clov

You say unconventional, but to me that was just a visible sign of its pretension choosing that style.

It does add to the creepy/uncanny atmosphere the series has though. I think that might have been the point of the rotoscoping in the first place. I just can't see what's pretentious about it.

Angelic Layer Ep. 7

Some poor storytelling in this episode. Woof. The attempt to give the opponent some depth fell flat on its face and then there was the mishandling of
Misaki's psychological damage from her first loss in the previous episode. She had symptoms of PTSD and then everything was dandy by the end of the episode.
A quick look at the manga suggests this episode's story was not in the manga. Apparently this episode written by the director of the series. Yikes. Luckily, it doesn't look like he did any more.

Branduil

The main flaw of the rotoscoping in Aku no Hana is that the cheap tricks anime uses to extend its budget don't work very well with it. Any time they used a still frame it just looked like the person had frozen.

Clov

The main flaw of the rotoscoping in Aku no Hana is that the cheap tricks anime uses to extend its budget don't work very well with it. Any time they used a still frame it just looked like the person had frozen.

Yeah, that definitely was a problem. That and the long distance shots where they have no faces were pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom