• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

The issue with Ano Hana is it tried to tell a 60-90-minute story in roughly 4 hours.

I maintain that the first and last episodes were really really good, it's everything inbetween that's the problem.

Dresden

akame -

Watched six, not having watched the earlier episodes (but I did keep up with the manga for a while). This is a bad show.

Will watch 7 for Esdese.

Amused at the casting for Bulat.

survivor

Banned
The issue with Ano Hana is it tried to tell a 60-90-minute story in roughly 4 hours.

I maintain that the first and last episodes were really really good, it's everything inbetween that's the problem.

That's why the movie is the best way to watch the series. Skips through the junk and straight to the ghost drama.

Superflat

That's why the movie is the best way to watch the series. Skips through the junk and straight to the ghost drama.

No way Jose!

I thought the series pacing was great at 11 episodes. If we just get straight to the melodramatic ending without proper set up, the whole thing would fall apart.

akame -

Watched six, not having watched the earlier episodes (but I did keep up with the manga for a while). This is a bad show.

Will watch 7 for Esdese.

Amused at the casting for Bulat.

Y'know that's not a half bad idea, but I didn't think this episode was that bad.
It was probably the best one yet.

Guess a quick update on all the continuing spring and new summer anime I'm still watching

Space Dandy S2

Despite last nights episode being meh, this whole season has been fantastic. Continues to be the savior of anime we all needed. If you gave up on Dandy after only watching 2-3 episodes of S1 it's time to jump back in cause this show is awesome.

Akame Ga Kill

Honestly I like the balance of comedy with the really really dark moments. The dark moments have a far greater impact because a scene or two ago the cast was enjoying a fairly normal day... when darkness comes out of nowhere. I also like that the MC isn't your typical hesitant anime character and isn't afraid to cut people down

Stardust Crusaders

Yep it's Jojo, and it's awesome. I could probably do stand of the week for 100s of episodes it's just a heck of a lot of fun. It's also nice how no one in the main group really feels like they're only there to job to make Jotaro look better. This might be one of the best examples of a shonen fight series balancing out the main characters screen time and fights ever.

Sailor Moon Crystal

I like the faster paced plot, I like that the story feels more focused with less "HILARIOUS" hi-jinx. I don't mind the cg transformations nor do I hate the very shoujo style art... but god why is it so hard to draw faces in this series? It'd be one thing if it was just a single still here or there during motion (like Rei's attack in the OP) but FFS don't linger on shots when characters faces look almost as bad as that "Im cute?" image. Hopefully some of this gets ironed out in the Blu Ray release because it can be pretty embarrassing at times. I'm still enjoying it but if it wasn't an anime adaptation of the Sailor Moon manga I wouldn't bother FWIW.

Irregular At Magic High School/SAO

Gonna bundle these shows together, both are hilariously over the top gary stu insert shows that I laugh more at how ridiculous they are. Both are very pretty to look at, both have hoards of hot chicks who are more thirsty then a group of tourist lost in the Sahara, both has completely ridiculous plot points and twist, and both are just shows I can't look away from.

Aldnoah Zero

This series is just....ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. The characters are all really flat and our lead Inaho is so hilariously batman for no reason it's mind boggling. Slaine would be better if his half of the story didn't suck. This show REALLY needs the good guys to get some super robots to make the battles more exciting, I can forgive a really boring cast of characters if they have sweet mechs to fight in.

Captain Earth

If the 2D mecha action wasn't so damn pretty I'd have dropped this awhile ago, the plot in this series is so dumb and the characters do nothing for me. Just let the final few episodes be glorious 2D large scale mech battles Bones it's all I ask.

Argevollen

This series is so vanilla mech it's almost scary not good, not bad... just kind of there. Honestly I've enjoyed this more then Aldnoah Zero because while it's not even remotely taking any risk, I can at least identity with the male and female leads, the plot is easy enough to follow and does the job well. Aldnoah Zero may end up being the better series when all is said and done, but as of right now Argevollen has been more consistent and entertaining.

Terror In Resonance

Wantabe continues to be the best at what he does. This series is like a mix of Monster and Deathnote with a bit of Die Hard 3 thrown in for fun. How truly good/great this series is we really won't be able to tell until it's finished and we can look back at all the little subtle hints and clues that are being left all over the place.

Majin Bone

If argevollen is a popcorn mecha show, then Majin Bone is a popcorn sentai show. Nothing about it is particularly memorable, besides for alien fan girl waifu, but it's still entertaining enough that it keeps me coming back week to week.

Tokyo Ghoul

On hold until I can watch it uncensored, will probably pick up and read the manga as the first episode seemed good the parts of it I can see that weren't covered in shadows.

Still haven't checked out Tokyo ESP, will probably check it out Tuesday

Space Dandy, Akame Ga Kill, Terror In Resonance, and JoJo are really the only shows that I'd recommend to people, maybe Crystal if it gets touched up for a BR release.

Taruranto

Kara no Kyoukai

Terrible movies with terrible generic anime cliches. Story progression is shit cuz they're mixed through the first few movies. No explanation what those mystic eyes of death perception are, no explanation why some people have supernatural abilities, what Shiki's family is, how she moved from her Japanese mansion to a flat. Why does she have 2 personalities and starts killing everyone. Major gaps in the plots that go unexplained, + going back and forth in the story all the time, to create the illusion of mystery and mindfucking the watcher, nothing wrong with that, but they always fail to deliver when the twists come to the climax. Utter failure of a format, some shows do it really good, this is a fine example of failure. Mikiya is the most bland and boring character in anime, doesn't have feelings, doesn't get angry, only shows smiles and irritating kindness.

Initially I read it as "Kyōkai no Kanata" and it still made sense. Hmm.

Guess a quick update on all the continuing spring and new summer anime I'm still watching

Space Dandy S2

Despite last nights episode being meh, this whole season has been fantastic. Continues to be the savior of anime we all needed. If you gave up on Dandy after only watching 2-3 episodes of S1 it's time to jump back in cause this show is awesome.

Akame Ga Kill

Honestly I like the balance of comedy with the really really dark moments. The dark moments have a far greater impact because a scene or two ago the cast was enjoying a fairly normal day... when darkness comes out of nowhere. I also like that the MC isn't your typical hesitant anime character and isn't afraid to cut people down

Stardust Crusaders

Yep it's Jojo, and it's awesome. I could probably do stand of the week for 100s of episodes it's just a heck of a lot of fun. It's also nice how no one in the main group really feels like they're only there to job to make Jotaro look better. This might be one of the best examples of a shonen fight series balancing out the main characters screen time and fights ever.

Sailor Moon Crystal

I like the faster paced plot, I like that the story feels more focused with less "HILARIOUS" hi-jinx. I don't mind the cg transformations nor do I hate the very shoujo style art... but god why is it so hard to draw faces in this series? It'd be one thing if it was just a single still here or there during motion (like Rei's attack in the OP) but FFS don't linger on shots when characters faces look almost as bad as that "Im cute?" image. Hopefully some of this gets ironed out in the Blu Ray release because it can be pretty embarrassing at times. I'm still enjoying it but if it wasn't an anime adaptation of the Sailor Moon manga I wouldn't bother FWIW.

Irregular At Magic High School/SAO

Gonna bundle these shows together, both are hilariously over the top gary stu insert shows that I laugh more at how ridiculous they are. Both are very pretty to look at, both have hoards of hot chicks who are more thirsty then a group of tourist lost in the Sahara, both has completely ridiculous plot points and twist, and both are just shows I can't look away from.

Aldnoah Zero

This series is just....ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. The characters are all really flat and our lead Inaho is so hilariously batman for no reason it's mind boggling. Slaine would be better if his half of the story didn't suck. This show REALLY needs the good guys to get some super robots to make the battles more exciting, I can forgive a really boring cast of characters if they have sweet mechs to fight in.

Captain Earth

If the 2D mecha action wasn't so damn pretty I'd have dropped this awhile ago, the plot in this series is so dumb and the characters do nothing for me. Just let the final few episodes be glorious 2D large scale mech battles Bones it's all I ask.

Argevollen

This series is so vanilla mech it's almost scary not good, not bad... just kind of there. Honestly I've enjoyed this more then Aldnoah Zero because while it's not even remotely taking any risk, I can at least identity with the male and female leads, the plot is easy enough to follow and does the job well. Aldnoah Zero may end up being the better series when all is said and done, but as of right now Argevollen has been more consistent and entertaining.

Terror In Resonance

Wantabe continues to be the best at what he does. This series is like a mix of Monster and Deathnote with a bit of Die Hard 3 thrown in for fun. How truly good/great this series is we really won't be able to tell until it's finished and we can look back at all the little subtle hints and clues that are being left all over the place.

Majin Bone

If argevollen is a popcorn mecha show, then Majin Bone is a popcorn sentai show. Nothing about it is particularly memorable, besides for alien fan girl waifu, but it's still entertaining enough that it keeps me coming back week to week.

Tokyo Ghoul

On hold until I can watch it uncensored, will probably pick up and read the manga as the first episode seemed good the parts of it I can see that weren't covered in shadows.

Still haven't checked out Tokyo ESP, will probably check it out Tuesday

Space Dandy, Akame Ga Kill, Terror In Resonance, and JoJo are really the only shows that I'd recommend to people, maybe Crystal if it gets touched up for a BR release.

Man definitely pick up the manga for Tokyo Ghoul, it's really good.

Blue Exorcist

The show's problems were pretty apparent from the beginning. The first episode consisted mostly of our lead Rin, the unknowing son of Satan, working in a store; the plot didn't truly advance until the very end of the first episode and into the second episode, so it was clearly content to stall with comedy rather than tell a story. And even when things got going, we were saddled with this typical "I want to avenge my ______ with my unique _____ powers" storyline. However, its strengths were apparent, too: the show was funny, and its art was quite good with interesting demon designs and fluid animation. Or in other words, Blue Exorcist's strengths had absolutely nothing to do with its intention to be a shonen series that tells a quality story.

Then further disappointment set in as, after he declared he was going to "beat the shit out of Satan", Rin was handed a school uniform. Cue the assembly of the most boring cast I've ever encountered in a shonen, a series of characters who feel more like they belong in standalone episodes never to be seen again after their weekly problems are solved: a moeblob, a tsundere, a rival, nerdy Krillin, that pink-haired kid, Yoko from Gurren Lagann, and a cardboard cutout brother with a bunch of moles on his face. The "kill Satan" storyline ground to a halt for average high school hijinks that, outside of a contest in the woods, never felt unique in the way Exorcist School probably should.

But with that being said, the show was still funny throughout and what fight scenes it had were of decent quality due to the art. And with how by-the-numbers the plot had been, I couldn't help but wonder if the show was better off as a slice-of-lifeish comedy than a story-driven shonen. Now, there's no telling where the manga's author would have taken things since this anime was greenlit before it had a reasonable number of chapters to work with, but when the show entered "filler" and it went back to focusing on the plot, it fell apart. Stupidity ran rampant as the kids banded together to save Rin's life and then promptly gave him the cold shoulder. The distrust angle they tried to play up can work on paper, but the execution left it incredibly unconvincing.

Then the plot hit fast-forward as it tossed around new concepts and characters left and right before the absolute climax of nonsense: it tried to make Satan into a sympathetic character. Satan, whose voice actor is doing an impression of Mark Hamill's Joker, who as a character was introduced by killing people Rin had known his whole life, and whose death was a central motivation for at least four separate characters. You need more than fifteen minutes of half-baked romance to completely reverse perception of this guy, and then the show chose to portray him as a villain anyway with random asides still trying to garner sympathy.

Blue Exorcist starts out like shonen from a can; it's absolutely nothing special, and half of what's notable about the anime comes from its production values instead of its storytelling. But a little after the halfway point, the whole thing goes spinning off the rails into something spectacularly stupid.

On the subject of pretentiousness, I would say parts of Fate/Zero qualify. There's a scene in the first season between Gilgamesh and Kirei that immediately comes to mind.

Just marathoned AnoHana.

Love-and-Other-Drugs.gif

Good man. I really liked Anohana. Everyone I've shown it to has loved it so far. I think it may be the next thing I show my step-brother.

M-marathoned? How did your heart survive that?

I look forward to your survival of After Story if you think a heart can barely take Anohana.

nah that's madoka

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Burn!

People who think Anohana is pretentious need to read the true ending. It's not all up in your ass about how clever it is.

You are evil.

I don't think people even know what pretentious means anymore, the word is right up there with deconstruction at this point

I agree. Deconstruction is the worst though and used entirely too often.

Soma

Yeah the Blue Exorcist movie is pretty legit.

Didn't know anything about the series but I enjoyed myself. The central plot was pretty decent but Shinji Kimura's background artwork is phenomenal.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
On the subject of pretentiousness, I would say parts of Fate/Zero qualify. There's a scene in the first season between Gilgamesh and Kirei that immediately comes to mind.

I mean... both are pretty pretentious so I guess it would make sense that their topic of discussion is pretty pretentious, right? =P

Theonik

Ano Hana is the most pretentious anime in years.
Even more pretentious than Millennium Actress?

Flowers of Evil is probably one of the most honest anime in a while. It may have an unconventional animation style, but it doesn't overreach in any way. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Now if you want to call the main character pretentious, that's fine, since that's sort of the point.
Nah, I think pretentious is the correct word about the entire way Aku no Hana's adaptation was handled. Not necessarily the work itself, but, if you read the producer interviews you could notice there was a very pretentious attitude surrounding the production.

Well...at least it's not Suite
At least it's not Max Heart.

Did Chet not get the memo of Duckroll's new laws around here?
Can we please stop making this kind of post every time something is posted?

I mean... both are pretty pretentious so I guess it would make sense that their topic of discussion is pretty pretentious, right? =P
While true, I think the scene was played too straight.

Edit: I certainly don't think Fate/Zero as a whole is pretentious, but given Urobuchi's writing is the source material it slips into that territory during its weaker moments.

Nozaki-kun 6
Keeping up the quality humor. The first half introducing Waka was fantastic especially on the roof
The second half choosing the screentones was also great since they only know terrible people. Clearly should have used Mikorin for the girl.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Uhh why wouldn't it? I know it hasn't been dubbed (yet) but whenever it is dubbed it seems like a logical pick for a movie night.
The amount of censoring that would need to be done for a TV edit doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

Arjuna 3

Man, this sure is pretty to look at.

This episode was OK. I really wasn't feeling it too much. It wasn't bad, but I don't know. Something about it just didn't click with me.

I'm still not really sure what Chris means about her being dirty. Maybe that she's too destructive (willing to kill) or something? Eh, I'm sure it'll be explained soon enough. And I'm assuming killing the Raaja is not a good thing? Does more harm than good to the Earth maybe?

Also, that end credits song -- so good.

Yesssssssss
This show will teach you the fallacies of humanity and hamburgers...and other things.
Let the mountain teach you!
Burgers and mountains, indeed. I am ready to learn!

So I watched episode 6 of Barakamon. I really wish the running time was longer. I feel like right when I'm settled in and immersed in the story, I see the end credits. Otherwise good episode and can't wait for 7.

For those of you who are enjoying it as well, do you have any suggestions for other shows that have the same pacing/feel? I've been on an anime binge and have recently watched some really good movies (Wolf Children being one of them) but I'm looking for some shows that have character development, subtle humor, and a peaceful aesthetic.

I tried Glasslip and it was a bit too slow but that was only the first episode. Gonna watch an episode of Blue Spring Ride tonight to see what it's like. Any recs are appreciated and it doesn't need to be Crunchyroll specific. Thanks <3

If Toonami will show Black Lagoon they'll probably show anything.

I'm sure they had to do some censoring that given the f-bomb density

So I watched episode 6 of Barakamon. I really wish the running time was longer. I feel like right when I'm settled in and immersed in the story, I see the end credits. Otherwise good episode and can't wait for 7.

For those of you who are enjoying it as well, do you have any suggestions for other shows that have the same pacing/feel? I've been on an anime binge and have recently watched some really good movies (Wolf Children being one of them) but I'm looking for some shows that have character development, subtle humor, and a peaceful aesthetic.

I tried Glasslip and it was a bit too slow but that was only the first episode. Gonna watch an episode of Blue Spring Ride tonight to see what it's like. Any recs are appreciated and it doesn't need to be Crunchyroll specific. Thanks <3

Non Non Biyori?
Picked it up again after Barakamon reminded me I should.
Similar enough feel to me but more different kind of humor and style.

Watch Non Non Biyori.

Nozaki-kun.

I watched a couple episodes of that, but I find Chiyo a little too co-dependent and Nozaki's character design isn't very appealing to me, so I have a hard time relating enough to the story.

I can give it another go though!

Non Non Biyori?
Picked it up again after Barakamon reminded me I should.
Similar enough feel to me but more different kind of humor and style.

Watch Non Non Biyori.

I'll look that up! Thanks guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom