• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Super Moon Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 28:

Yep, we have certainly arrived at the formula slog, although the romantic portents this time around are actually important to the show since they involve
getting Mamoru and Usagi together ever so slowly. Also, the painting seen are actually window into the past with King Endyrmon and Queen Serenity. We also learn that Tuxedo Mask is going to be more of a wild card for the arc, bent on owning the silver crystal for his own devices.
Also, oh hey, it is a monster design that doesn't suck. Once again a pretty typical episode but this one has a bit more bearing on the overarching plot, so if you do watch one episode today this would be the one.

TheRancor

Yoshinari will surely deliver.
b95d9cb3f5d607c1dad1978ac9512e63.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Out of curiosity, is the Doraemon English dub airing on Disney just redubs of old episodes?

Haha. I'm going to assume that stands for the show Kokoro Connect. I haven't seen that one yet. Okay, I was going to say it was something like last years Tari Tari but without the music angle and focusing more on the slice of life and relationship angst with a little bit of a supernatural element to it. It doesn't focus too much on that and it's really more just another tool or catalyst for the drama and interactions of the characters.

Okay, I was just wondering. Yeah, sometimes it wouldn't bother me to post more but I don't feel I have too much to add and that maybe the show is just fairly straightforward enough anyway.
Yeah, Kokoro Connect was a lot of angst and bodyswapping and whatnot. Although to be fair, it actually reminds me of that one off show... Summer Miracles? (Eh, might as well Google it: Natsuiro Kiseki) The seeing the future stuff seems to be much lighter and not the primary premise of the show, whereas Kokopops was built entirely on the various awkward situations that the characters were put in because they were being "experimented" on.
Bonus question. If I were to start either Aria or Tamayura, which one would you recommend to go through first?
I'd say Aria because it's all out, but I think it depends if you're in the mood of light scifi/magic realism or something extremely grounded in real world Japan. Personally, Aria is still my favourite animu that I've seen, so of course I would suggest that first.

No way is Locodols the worst of the season. No way.
At worst it's a grungy SDBurton show.

Mr.Jeff

For those of you who are enjoying it as well, do you have any suggestions for other shows that have the same pacing/feel? I've been on an anime binge and have recently watched some really good movies (Wolf Children being one of them) but I'm looking for some shows that have character development, subtle humor, and a peaceful aesthetic.
Why no-one has recommended Usagi Drop is beyond me.

Watched all of Dragon Crisis! recently.

First and foremost, this anime has one the best opening songs ever:

http://youtu.be/-sovoeEVyIo

You're welcome!

As someone who really, really likes anything involving dragons, I just saw the name of this series and decided to watch. It was OK. Not bad, not great. OK.
Honestly, I rarely ever find anything bad. I can find enjoyment in anything. Hell, I don't think the Transformers movie are terrible like most people. They're entertaining, but I digress.
The story is also just OK, but there are elements I found kinda interesting that I wish were explained more.

This was basically special human has connection with personified creature, or in this case, a dragon. Said personified dragon is in love with protag since the first time she saw him. There's an antagonist dragon, in black of course, who doesn't like/believe that humans and dragons should or can get along/coexist/be together.

There's also these items called Lost Precious, which can be anything from a weapon (what the protag has) to a painting (which in this case is a cursed Lost Precious). There's a bunch of female cast members. It's not really a harem, but a couple of them do end up liking/already like protag, including the worst anime character type ever. The character that's been in love with the main character for a long time, but is too much of a pussy to say anything or let them know their true feelings. They're usually too much of a pushover and are always saying "blah blah-kun". Ugh, I really dislike these kinds of characters.

Anyway, random ish happens, new characters are met, battles are fought; typical anime stuff. The end. :)

Oh, and did I mention how amazing the opening song is? No? Well here you go:

http://youtu.be/-sovoeEVyIo

The ending song is also nice.

Quasar

BTW, anyone here has any experience with crunchyroll on Chromecast?

Thats my default way of accessing CR. Works for me, aside from the android stupidity. If I control the CR stream to Chromecast from an android device its lower res than if I do so with an ios client.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm still watching CE. Pretty entertaining still, even though I stopped retaining what's going on with the story a while ago.

There's so many anime boobs and butts in this series. It's kind of crazy.

I stopped watching it around episode 13 or so. It just . . . wasn't very entertaining. The Designer's Children arc felt simultaneously aimless and tedious to me. The two main villains were more grating than compelling (I mean really, if HAL 3000 and GladOS's love child is the most interesting villain in the show, you have a problem) and the main cast themselves didn't feel particularly meaningful to me anyway.

Episodes went by without mech fights, and I think they laid into the jargon a bit too heavily to boot.

The thirteen episodes of Captain Earth I saw weren't bad, they just didn't really entertain me.

That's too bad. I hadn't got around to watching it but I guess I can push it further into the backlog in favor of other shows.

Finalow

never watched Captain Earth but I can tell that it's bad. :u

(you know Suda51 last game, "let it die"? I think he finally found a perfect title for his games. yes, Suda51 sux)

JoeFu

Banned
Hopefully Hanamonogatari is godtier because of the super long delay....

Is anybody going to be streaming hanamonogatari?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Good to see someone recognising soredemo as one of shaft's best work.

Though for me it would be zetsubou sayonara sensei.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know, zetsubou being fucking weird is exactly why I watch it. :p

Remember when they switched voice actors every second? That was awesome. Also impossible to follow.

RIP. :(

It's a fun show. Not outstanding or anything, but fun! :(

Gurren Lagann was also a fun show, but then something happened quite early down the line that suddenly made me really care about all the characters.

I haven't watched Captain Earth, but judging from other people's impressions, it gives me the feeling that it didn't do something like that yet.

I had planned on watching it, but now I'm just waiting for the moment it becomes a must watch. That is, if it ever does become a must watch.

Hopefully Hanamonogatari is godtier because of the super long delay....

Wasn't it delayed because SHAFT had to animate that Smash Bros. short?

/XX/

Such a nice collection you are amassing. What will be your next stop? :)

Every time Mr. Kozaki involves himself on animation projects I still expect him to make a sudden breakthrough as professional animator just once! Not only was he one of the best first proponents of what would later be known as the '.GIF generation', but also helped many contemporary peers in creating tools for said 'web-gen' during his time at TEAM FULLMECHA (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34979460&postcount=105)... I think the potential was probably there, although we can't say that it would have been more lucrative or personal that what he well does nowadays.

cajunator

Banned
Testament of Sister New Devil website open, has the writer of High School DxD/Daimidaler behind it, the director of Sora no Otoshimono and is set to begin in 2015.

SOLD

I'd argue that SHAFT hasn't produced a good show since Madoka Magica so the timeframe of decline in quality is similar to GHM. Essentially, they're both directors known for producing eccentric, low-budget works in their respective mediums who became absentee landlords that slap their names on projects they're only minimally creatively involved in after achieving a modicum of name recognition.

I haven't played Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead, though, so GHM could have had a return to form in the last 2-3 years. The ease with which Lily Bergamo was jettisoned in favor of whatever that western-style freemium trash we saw at E3 is leaves me skeptical, though.

Shaft has been adapting some strange things again. Sasami-san, Nisekoi, Mekakucity Actors...some sources that dont really capture a large audience.
Previous adaptations have been much bigger in scope, like Monagatari or Madoka Magica and given the star treatment (comparatively)
Perhaps if Shaft stumbles upon a new super popular series they can get back to Shaftian excellence. I put more faith in them getting there than GHM.
As much as I like Suda51, he kind of struck a chord with NMH series and I dont think he has ever or will ever top that in terms of creativity.

Heartcatch precure 1

Goddamn erika is kind of a jerk.

Already liking the style of this more than doki doki so far honestly. But the transformation device is actually a vial of perfume? Seriously?

Erika da best. But kind of a jerk yeah. A loveable jerk.

Ah, so it's that kind of show?

Does reek a bit like "girls don't play with action figures", though I guess it's cool that a symbol of femininity is transformed into a tool of fighting power? I dunno anymore.

The action seems fun, so I'll continue for now. If I like it till the end then I might watch the original precure too.

This show will sell you things a lot. Little plastic shit things. Thats basically its purpose. However, occasionally they accidentally make a good show in the meantime too!

The pacing in Angelic Layer is kind of remarkable in how lean it is, particularly between tournaments. At least this far in the series. Of course it's only 26 episodes and the manga didn't go on into infinity.

At least something like Nisekoi will end in less than a decade, meanwhile other series go on for decades.

Angelic Layer is very typical of shows from that time period. Its actually rather simple in layout, with slice of life and training exercises in between tournaments, but the ending is a very good one and will reward you for sticking with it. Personally I love Angelic Layer a whole lot. From what I have read about it, the manga is a step back because its a story that works better in motion (understandably)
I get some major nostalgic feels whenever I hear the music or watch it though. It manages to stay very pure in the vein of Cardcaptor Sakura.
I also appreciate how CLAMP puts past character references into shows as a tribute, like mokona and in this case Hikaru from MAgic Knight Rayearth.

Clov

As much as I like Suda51, he kind of struck a chord with NMH series and I dont think he has ever or will ever top that in terms of creativity.

If you haven't tried out "Flower, Sun, and Rain" and Killer7, you ought to; personally I think they're way more creative than NMH, as much as I do like the game.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shaft has been adapting some strange things again. Sasami-san, Nisekoi, Mekakucity Actors...some sources that dont really capture a large audience.
Previous adaptations have been much bigger in scope, like Monagatari or Madoka Magica and given the star treatment (comparatively)
Perhaps if Shaft stumbles upon a new super popular series they can get back to Shaftian excellence. I put more faith in them getting there than GHM.

You're right on a couple of those but Nisekoi is as mainstream and orthodox as it gets. It's serialized in Shounen Jump!

SOLD

MekakuCity Actors is a really popular property and has a large audience. It has many fans from it's vocaloid counterpart and seeing that the Ln on average sold about 500K. Shaft could of easily made above 50K. Instead though they half assed it and thought they could make big money. Only the most dedicated bought the BD which was 10K. Yeah most fans though it was shit. Seriously though I really want to know why they were this lazy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It baffles me that we've had two diferent anime adaptations of Vocaloid fanworks and yet the IP holders have never pursued a series featuring the characters themselves and the accompanying infinite bags of money.

It baffles me that we've had two diferent anime adaptations of Vocaloid fanworks and yet the IP holders have never pursued a series featuring the characters themselves and the accompanying infinite bags of money.

It's called being lazy. Which is funny because they could make so much money.

This. Just this.

I like Vocaloid songs. I like Hatsune Miku.

I'd like her even more if there was some kind of story accompanying her and the other Vocaloid characters.

How is it possible that we have all these idol shows and absolutely none of them have anything to do with Vocaloid?

This. Just this.

I like Vocaloid songs. I like Hatsune Miku.

I'd like her even more if there was some kind of story accompanying her and the other Vocaloid characters.

How is it possible that we have all these idol shows and absolutely none of them have anything to do with Vocaloid?

Probably like how we're two console generations in post Account systems and Nintendo still hasn't gotten it right (and probably won't until the next handheld)

Dynedom

Is anyone still watching Captain Earth? The OT is pretty dead. It's just Andrew in there and I didn't even bother to post impressions for last week's episode. :(

T_T

I still am. Yeah it's brainless fun but it's still fun.

I mean, it could be worse. It could be comically boring like Aldnoah Zero.

Just give me more Hatsune Miku rhythm games, I could do without an anime that will do nothing but make the vast majority of the fanbase angry because I cannot imagine any studio getting it right.

Just give me more Hatsune Miku rhythm games, I could do without an anime that will do nothing but make the vast majority of the fanbase angry because I cannot imagine any studio getting it right.

The only way you could screw up a Vocaloid anime would be by not making it an idol show.

It's not like Miku and the others especially HAVE personalities from the start that they could ruin.

Defuser

Nozaki's kun OP is so damn addicting to listen. Dammit why is it the OP/ED songs I like is always the last to get released?

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS 11

Ah, the dreaded "use flat colors to differentiate objects to animate from background".

Adult fun? Not sure I like the sound of that.

And now it's Star Wars.

...is Akio replacing Sunohara as lovable idiot?

I'm reminded of Office Space.

Yoshino's a bro. Yoshibro.

Not a whole lot to say about this episode. Work thing seemed a little forced, but it does make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom