• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I can totally understand that perspective. I think that has more to do with the source material than SHAFT themselves though. Nise is kind of the outlier here though, to which i'd definitely attribute your general feelings to. (my own on this as well, at least for Nise!)

Brofist

I may have a related surprise coming in the mail this week that's related to this post and something very recently going OOP or OOS for its premium version (don't know if there will ever be a standard version either).

oooh I wonder what it is! :D
I checked shipping numbers and my Toradora set should arrive today. Though Im back at my house and it ships to my parents place for safekeeping.

Yeah, I meant worst for me, of what I'm still watching. Rail Wars made it one episode before being promptly dropped off a cliff.

Glasslip's problems come half from the completely average and uninteresting story, and half from what seems to be a lack of production values for everything except the backgrounds. I think the odd gratuitous use of random freeze-frame shots has been pointed out before.

But then every week I reach the end of the episode and get KATACHI NO NAI and everything's a bit better.

nano.RIPE makes everything better anyway.

Dokuro-chan is always fun.

Thats true, however Im more akin to the humor found in Magical Witch Punie chan!
Potato-dono!

cajunator

Banned
I wish soredemo was available in BD. Sentai needs to release it :(

Im sure it will get one sooner rather than later.

If you haven't tried out "Flower, Sun, and Rain" and Killer7, you ought to; personally I think they're way more creative than NMH, as much as I do like the game.

I played Killer7. didnt really like it much. NMH was Suda's first game that I enjoyed.

You're right on a couple of those but Nisekoi is as mainstream and orthodox as it gets. It's serialized in Shounen Jump!

You know more about this stuff than I do. The series didnt seem that bad to me though. Mekakucity actors was hella lazy.

MekakuCity Actors is a really popular property and has a large audience. It has many fans from it's vocaloid counterpart and seeing that the Ln on average sold about 500K. Shaft could of easily made above 50K. Instead though they half assed it and thought they could make big money. Only the most dedicated bought the BD which was 10K. Yeah most fans though it was shit. Seriously though I really want to know why they were this lazy.

Yeah MCA was pretty bad. I didnt get into it as much as I had hoped. Ene is supercute though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends what backstory they use for her.

There are a number of favorite background that are much or less properly used in each song.
So in the end it depends mostly on the skill of the team that tries to do it.

I think a pretty good way to handle it is to adapt a different backstory each episode. There really isn't much continuity so they can just play around with that.

Like one episode can just be based on senbonzakura.

cajunator

Banned
It baffles me that we've had two diferent anime adaptations of Vocaloid fanworks and yet the IP holders have never pursued a series featuring the characters themselves and the accompanying infinite bags of money.

Speaking of which, my Miss monochrome nendoroid is in the mail. Soon I will have that cutie to put next to Yuno, Akarin, and Millhi. I can feel the diabetes now.

Is it weird that i change controllable character in Trails in the Sky to the guy? Am I a closet sexist? Am I Shirou?

If given the option I role play as guys just curious if people do the opposite when they have moe girls as their avatars

Well I finished FMA Brotherhood.

Wow, that was great. The story was incredible, extremely well written, and thrilling. I found it amazing that there were so many characters and yet they all felt very well developed. The ending was great and all plot points were handled perfectly. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

Is Fullmetal Alchemist completely unrelated, in terms of plot? Or is it a prequel?

Posted this last night.

Where to from here? I want to watch Cowboy Bepop but I'm thinking it might be good to wait for the recently announced blu rays?

For now I think I'm going to take a romp around netflix, will probably watch Samurai Champloo and maybe I'll give Hunter x Hunter a try as a lot of people seem to be recommending it.

Gundam-san 06
7767af8b3c.jpg

Bright The White Triangular Trojan Horse and Sayla finally admit that they like to slap people.
And I don't remember Sayla being so uh, filled in.

Himegoto 06

OH SHIT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

Is it weird that i change controllable character in Trails in the Sky to the guy? Am I a closet sexist? Am I Shirou?

If given the option I role play as guys just curious if people do the opposite when they have moe girls as their avatars

What does my avatar have to do with anything!?

Depends on my mood. In DA and ME I played as males, in WoW most of my characters are male. In Trails I'm playing as Estelle and I just started FFXIV I created a female Miqo'te.

Posted this last night.

Where to from here? I want to watch Cowboy Bepop but I'm thinking it might be good to wait for the recently announced blu rays?

For now I think I'm going to take a romp around netflix, will probably watch Samurai Champloo and maybe I'll give Hunter x Hunter a try as a lot of people seem to be recommending it.
FMA first series- it starts out the same but this was started before the manga was done so they eventually had to make up stuff and it ended up being completely different. Personally I am glad I watched it but don't know if I can go back to it after brotherhood. Brotherhood is considered better by the grand majority as it follows the manga. Original series doesn't introduce any of the Chinese characters, has different homunculi, and the ultimate baddie is also anime original. Also it made something really dumb at the end.

As to what you should watch: samurai Champloo is a good bet. Dub is pretty great can't recommend enough. I would say to go ahead and wait for cowboy bebop blu rays as they will be remastered. Hunter x Hunter is fairly standard shonen with its characters arcs and power progression but solidly made. It's up to you if you want to go that route but it's a 100+ episodes there are plenty of other great shows to watch in Crunchyroll and other streaming sites before going there.

zulux21

FMA first series- it starts out the same but this was started before the manga was done so they eventually had to make up stuff and it ended up being completely different. Personally I am glad I watched it but don't know if I can go back to it after brotherhood. Brotherhood is considered better by the grand majority as it follows the manga. Original series doesn't introduce any of the Chinese characters, has different homunculi, and the ultimate baddie is also anime original. Also it made something really dumb at the end.

The first series is still quite watchable, and indeed I recommend people watch it before brotherhood (as brotherhood goes through the early content a bit to fast and even with the changes seeing the first series and it's slower pace through that content helps you catch everything)

Hands down I like brotherhood more, but that doesn't make the first series bad, it's still an enjoyable watch and an above average anime....

basically for me brotherhood is

while the first series is

both are nice, brotherhood is just nicer :p

Hunter x Hunter is fairly standard shonen with its characters arcs and power progression but solidly made. It's up to you if you want to go that route but it's a 100+ episodes there are plenty of other great shows to watch in Crunchyroll and other streaming sites before going there.

Not really though.
Big reason a lot of people like it is because it plays hard on typical shonen formula. Guess that's why the Chimaera Ant Arc is so split down the middle, or pretty much everything before and after Yorknew

I think a pretty good way to handle it is to adapt a different backstory each episode. There really isn't much continuity so they can just play around with that.

Like one episode can just be based on senbonzakura.

That's actually a cool idea ..

but could you handle your tears if they adapt "kokoro"

cajunator

Banned
The first series is still quite watchable, and indeed I recommend people watch it before brotherhood (as brotherhood goes through the early content a bit to fast and even with the changes seeing the first series and it's slower pace through that content helps you catch everything)

Hands down I like brotherhood more, but that doesn't make the first series bad, it's still an enjoyable watch and an above average anime....

basically for me brotherhood is

while the first series is

both are nice, brotherhood is just nicer :p

I'd...rather have the Caddy.

As to what you should watch: samurai Champloo is a good bet. Dub is pretty great can't recommend enough. I would say to go ahead and wait for cowboy bebop blu rays as they will be remastered. Hunter x Hunter is fairly standard shonen with its characters arcs and power progression but solidly made. It's up to you if you want to go that route but it's a 100+ episodes there are plenty of other great shows to watch in Crunchyroll and other streaming sites before going there.

Just noticed Death Note is on Netflix as well which I've heard great things about as well. Will probably take a look at that as well.

Not really though.
Big reason a lot of people like it is because it plays hard on typical shonen formula. Guess that's why the Chimaera Ant Arc is so split down the middle, or pretty much everything before and after Yorknew
It still follows shonen action to the tee though.

Brand new character going out to the world. Gets introduced to a new society. Begins the journey as people say how talented he is. Meets a group of friends. Learns there's more intricacy to the fighting system. Begins to train. Still is fairly weak. Continuously meets people who are stronger than the previous group of enemies. Gets stronger. Eventually gets the protagonist super saiyan power that makes him stand out. Character tends to be goodie two shoes until he's pissed then let the bodies hit the floor. Probably will continue to meet up people who are stronger than the past even though it was said the last bad guy he met was like the ultimate life form.

It does a good job at it and I kept watching (waiting for current arc to reach closer to end before I marathon) but outside of how dark it has gotten at points and the message during the chimera ant Arc I haven't seen anything that blows me away as to how it broke tropes.

Midonin

Blade Dance 05

A slower episode, mostly setup for having Flanna join their team to shake up the status quo a bit. After hearing it, the ending theme's starting to become kinda catchy, and the dynamic between Rinslet and Claire is fun.

cajunator

Banned
Just noticed Death Note is on Netflix as well which I've heard great things about as well. Will probably take a look at that as well.

Death note starts out very strong but gets weaker for reasons I wont spoil. It has a decent ending. The first part though is a really fun cat and mouse game.

zulux21

I'd...rather have the Caddy.

:p and there are those that would rather have the first series over brotherhood.
I am not a fan of convertibles so I wouldn't want that so much...

Death note starts out very strong but gets weaker for reasons I wont spoil. It has a decent ending. The first part though is a really fun cat and mouse game.

It's a fun ride all the way through. It does indeed get weaker, but at no point do I feel the series even falls to just an average anime status, it's above average all the way (even with some stupid things going on from time to time)

bringing up death note reminds me though.... I need to make her watch One Outs since I think she will enjoy it since she liked death note lol.

It still follows shonen action to the tee though.

Brand new character going out to the world. Gets introduced to a new society. Begins the journey as people say how talented he is. Meets a group of friends. Learns there's more intricacy to the fighting system. Begins to train. Still is fairly weak. Continuously meets people who are stronger than the previous group of enemies. Gets stronger. Eventually gets the protagonist super saiyan power that makes him stand out. Character tends to be goodie two shoes until he's pissed then let the bodies hit the floor. Probably will continue to meet up people who are stronger than the past even though it was said the last bad guy he met was like the ultimate life form.

It does a good job at it and I kept watching (waiting for current arc to reach closer to end before I marathon) but outside of how dark it has gotten at points and the message during the chimera ant Arc I haven't seen anything that blows me away as to how it broke tropes.

Gon's always been a little off kilter. In the first arc, Hanzo threatened to break both of his arms and he still would not give up.
Then the Mad Bomber blew off one of his arms and mangled the other. Still didn't care.
Pitou just gave Gon a reason to get enraged. Before he was just determined.

Well, the group hasn't really met anyone continually stronger then last bad guy besides Mereum.
In fact it went down from Chrollo and Hisoka, who are nearly on the same level to the Mad Bomber to Mereum, then back down again.
And I somehow doubt that there will be an enemy stronger then Mereum in this world physically. There could be ones to defeat him
like Nanika and the calamities
but through insane powers.

The Chimaera ant arc itself is pretty atypical I think (major spoilers)
Pouf and Youpi die offscreen. Pitou gets absolutely brutalized after a fight thats been hyped up since the start of the arc. It's hardly even a fight. You could call it a super saiyan transformation, but he can never do it again. And yes he did do it out of pure rage, but it came at a supreme cost and not as a real "power up".
Mereum dies not in his epic climactic fight with Netero, but alone dying of poison with Komugi.

You still get your massive epic battles but they hardly ever play out the way you would think.
Another is (Yorknew Arc spoilers)
Chrollo Lucifer doesn't get defeated. He just leaves with no Nen. Kurapika's arc doesn't get wrapped up. He leaves to. The group does not stay together, Leorio and Kurapika disappear for years.

Then there's Ging. A lot of shonens have the legendary dad who left home and wants his son to follow him/is proud of him.
Well Ging is a legend but he's also a dick. Like seriously what kind of guy leaves his kid at home so he can go be a Hunter? Or a Pirate/Revolutionary, or a Ninja.

And you're right, it has a standard battle shonen as a base, but what it does in twisting events that you would not think would happen in a standard shonen is good.

zulux21

Perhaps if you put a spyker instead of the 430.

I don't really know a ton about cars, I just picked ones I thought looked nice from brands I know are more expensive :p

I mean I think the most driving scenes I have seen in anime are either from detective conan or Great Trucker Onizuka :p

CorvoSol

Gundam-san 06

Bright The White Triangular Trojan Horse and Sayla finally admit that they like to slap people.
And I don't remember Sayla being so uh, filled in.

*It's true.

Even if she was, though, I remember exactly zero instances of her putting that to use. Frau Bow was the one doing all the medical onboard the White Base. It wasn't until Zeta that a formal ship's doctor was introduced.

zulux21

Not sure if autocorrect or pun.

neither actually.
It's a reference to the second or third episode of the anime Great Teacher Onizuka.

After he fails at getting into a job as a teacher he decides to become a trucker calling him self GTO, Great Trucker Onizuka.

is that actually a volcaloid? as if it is just wow because it is not painfully obvious it's not a real person singing like most volcaloids o_O
looking up Kasane Teto it still sounds painfully obvious it's not a person singing... though it does sound better than miku.

cajunator

Banned
neither actually.
It's a reference to the second or third episode of the anime Great Teacher Onizuka.

After he fails at getting into a job as a teacher he decides to become a trucker calling him self GTO, Great Trucker Onizuka.

is that actually a volcaloid? as if it is just wow because it is not painfully obvious it's not a real person singing like most volcaloids o_O
looking up Kasane Teto it still sounds painfully obvious it's not a person singing... though it does sound better than miku.

I think its a fanmade vocaloid.

Mahouka - 19

So the yokohama disturbance chapter began
Mahouka%20-%2019.jpg

Oh look , so many sparkles !!!

Alright episode, showcasing tatsuya haxxor healing, analysing and targetting skills , lot of miyuki jealousy and a bunch of idiots that won't realise that their attempts will be futile because the MC is just "that" loaded.

Can't wait untill sh*t hit the fan so we can have the good stuff later.

It's someone singing , Karaoke style

mankoto

Nozaki-kun 6
I feel so bad for Wakamatsu... It'd be best if he never finds out. And these guys don't know how to read a mood in manga to save their lives. My goodness.

Superflat

MekakuCity Actors is a really popular property and has a large audience. It has many fans from it's vocaloid counterpart and seeing that the Ln on average sold about 500K. Shaft could of easily made above 50K. Instead though they half assed it and thought they could make big money. Only the most dedicated bought the BD which was 10K. Yeah most fans though it was shit. Seriously though I really want to know why they were this lazy.

I enjoyed the anime but I can't argue with the criticisms. For a SHAFT show, this was incredibly cheap looking for the majority of its run. It definitely seems like a side project that they put limited resources into and hoped would do well because of its large existing fanbase.

There's no denying there are a number of new Kagerou Project fans that were born from the anime though, myself included. So it did at least some good, lol

Jex

You guys are sorely tempting me to write another post about why FMA is superior to Brotherhood but I feel like I don't have anything more to say on the subject.

For me, Fullmetal Alchemist is a TV series that is based on a manga.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brothehood is merely a manga adaptation.

The distinction may appear slight but it makes a world of difference.

BluWacky

MekakuCity Actors is a really popular property and has a large audience. It has many fans from it's vocaloid counterpart and seeing that the Ln on average sold about 500K. Shaft could of easily made above 50K.

I don't think it works like that. Sword Art Online sold over 2 million copies in 2013 and only has disc sales of around 35,000 units. Kagerou Days has half as many novel sales; yes, 10k is still an underachievement by the standards of the manga sales, but not by a huge amount.

Instead though they half assed it and thought they could make big money.

Seriously though I really want to know why they were this lazy.

Because they could be, and they did make money? Probably not BIG money (no-one really makes big money in anime), but certainly a decent amount.

You guys are sorely tempting me to write another post about why FMA is superior to Brotherhood but I feel like I don't have anything more to say on the subject.

There are some things that I can forgive for a manga adaption, but if they screw up the ending they are not forgiven. In FMA case the ending was stupid, like are you serious. Oh well FMA is probably better as a standalone but not better than Brotherhood.

Yeah I'm also a bit sour on beezlebub's adaption ending too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I heard the new Sailor Moon is amazing because it follows the manga. Finally those crazy anime directors and writers will be shown what true art is.

Tokyo ESP - 05

Soooooooooo many cuts

OMG

You cut basicly all the stuff that make us know some characters and you think 2 or 3 lines of dialog is enough to make up for it ?
WTF.
What the heck is this ?
>I'm sacred<
They are going to mess up with all the good things in this show because of the stupid pacing and the cuts.
Let's ignore the whole black fist sub plot. Let's ignore why the police managed to track down the white girl.Let's ignore the pacing . Let's go to the tanker incident !Heck let's start the anime by the end !

WHO THE HECK IS IN CHARGE OF TOKYO ESP adaptation ? please fire those guys !
Now we'll have
no prison , no school incident , and probably no desert island.
incredible.

AND WHAT WAS THIS UGLY CENSORING ?

Midonin

M3 17

What the series is about is coming to the surface, and in a way, I'm also starting to see the Okada come through. The hidden core of the series feels superficially similar to AnoHana, involving
a girl harboring a crush and, during a game of hide and seek, being abandoned, thus leading to the world being the gray on gray landscape it is now.
I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing how this concludes. For a show that started with me having a tough time keeping track of the characters, that's an improvement.

Jex

There are some things that I can forgive for a manga adaption, but if they screw up the ending they are not forgiven. In FMA case the ending was stupid like are you serious.

Yeah I'm a bit sour on beezlebub's adaption ending too.
But in this case they aren't adapting an ending, but instead writing one. The real question is not whether it matches the original source material but whether it holds up as satisfying both for the characters and thematically, and you can argue pretty strongly that it works on both levels.

Moreover, I don't really care for the ending in the manga/Brotherhood very much but that's beside the point.

I don't think it works like that. Sword Art Online sold over 2 million copies in 2013 and only has disc sales of around 35,000 units. Kagerou Days has half as many novel sales; yes, 10k is still an underachievement by the standards of the manga sales, but not by a huge amount.

Because they could be, and they did make money? Probably not BIG money (no-one really makes big money in anime), but certainly a decent amount.

Yeah I guess your right, but still for Shaft standards it was pretty bad.

CorvoSol

That's too bad. I hadn't got around to watching it but I guess I can push it further into the backlog in favor of other shows.

I mean, I dunno. It isn't a bad show. I don't hate it. I might have more to say if I did hate it. As it is I just find it unremarkable. I might get back to it, but I dunno.

RIP. :(

It's a fun show. Not outstanding or anything, but fun! :(

See, for me the problem was that it didn't feel very fun at all. It felt more like it wanted to be but lacked something. Every episode of Captain Earth felt like it was lacking some unnameable quality that I could only tell you for certain that Star Driver had and it did not. I kinda wish the show had been more willing to indulge in things so that it might stick out a bit more or something.

Hahaha. All those slightly unwilling and therefore somewhat uncomfortable kisses.

After the way FMA ended compared to Brotherhood? No, I'll never get over that.

Its just like a Gymnastics competition: If you can't stick the landing almost nothing else that happened matters.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
In general I am not a big fan of vocaloids....
in fact I can only think of one song that I have heard them sing that I didn't mind... and it was a cover....
this one.

that's what I figured, but I was slightly hoping that vocaloids had just made huge strides in sounding more humanlike :p

Well, this is UTAU (freeware ver. of vocaloid), but the tuning is better than T-pain auto-tuned vocal IMO
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1uQNueWXA

For realistic vocaloid singing, there's Mitchie M song
Ai Dee
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkLJoFp2UAE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom