• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

while we are on the topic of chitoge being best girl, we all know shes going to win
She's the second best girl.

Haru
gonna win bro. You can't stop it.

Also a season 2 would have some really awesome arcs, including some delicious
cake

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'd argue Nisekoi and Monogatari S2 were well produced.

Mekaku was poor even by their standards.

I realize I'm in the minority in how I feel toward Monogatari S2. It wasn't necessarily bad to me, but the whole narrative was "gilding the lily", so to speak. I was so perfectly satisfied by how each arc resolved in Bakemonogatari that the arcs in S2 felt inherently unnecessary to me, regardless of the actual quality of their writing.

Branduil

Is your gripe merely based on the fact that its never going to end and that new characters keep getting introduced? I really don't get it.

Because that would make a lot of mangaka hacks. Like seriously a lot of them. You have series where people stay on boats for years or boxing series with as little development as possible on every level even though its been going on for 25 years with no real end in sight.

Which is logical. Its hard to make something successful. You want to ride it out as long as you can because chances are you won't get back there with something new. It's why the "big 3" still exist in 2014, you string out your audience for as long of a ride as they're willing to go.

Of course a lot of mangaka are hacks. Nisekoi doesn't do anything new, it just takes it to disgusting new levels of cynicism and exploitation of audience expectation.

cant be any worse than the toriko dude being a child sex offender
Damn.
In 2002, he was arrested and convicted of violating child prostitution laws, including paying a 16-year-old girl ¥80,000 to have sex.
Dude, he's clearly an ephebophile.
iOLRfqgPS2nMm.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 19

THIS SHIT'S FUCKED

I accidentally posted this in smashgaf

Jarmel

Banned
I'd argue that SHAFT hasn't produced a good show since Madoka Magica so the timeframe of decline in quality is similar to GHM. Essentially, they're both directors known for producing eccentric, low-budget works in their respective mediums who became absentee landlords that slap their names on projects they're only minimally creatively involved in after achieving a modicum of name recognition.

I haven't played Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead, though, so GHM could have had a return to form in the last 2-3 years. The ease with which Lily Bergamo was jettisoned in favor of whatever that western-style freemium trash we saw at E3 is leaves me skeptical, though.

Oh yes, Shaft and GHM are definitely similar in that aspect. That said, Shaft does seemingly put out relatively decent shows and adapt source materials in an unique way. GHM games are barely passable in the gameplay department and are really only notable in the weird aspect. Shaft at least puts out good visuals now.

People really don't like Lollipop Chainsaw but I enjoyed it a lot, much more than KiD and Shadows of the Damned. It's mostly that the humor was on point for what it was (sort of like a videogame version of Panty & Stocking). Also the soundtrack was banging. KiD is seemingly sort of mixed in that it seems the higher level combat supposedly is good but the story is Killer 7 levels of weird and wtf.

Quasar

Nisekoi only exists to exploit its audience. The trappings of real narrative fiction are nominally present, but only as a lure for the unsuspecting. The author has no interest in actually telling a story, quite the opposite.

Nisekoi is the nadir of the already putrescent harem genre pioneered by Akamatsu and other contemporaneous hacks. It is the moral equivalent of EA's Dungeon Keeper.

Wow.

Tell us how you really feel.

The other parallel between Suda51 and Shinbou is that both of their works are distinctively postmodern in style (with some exceptions).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Heartcatch precure 1

Goddamn erika is kind of a jerk.

Already liking the style of this more than doki doki so far honestly. But the transformation device is actually a vial of perfume? Seriously?

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 19

I accidentally posted this in smashgaf

Well hey, at least that was a Jojo post.

I accidentally posted Doremi impressions in Smashgaf once.

Luckily for me, I quickly noticed my mistake before anybody else noticed. But oh man would that have been embarrassing.

Clov

The other parallel between Suda51 and Shinbou is that both of their works are distinctively postmodern in style (with some exceptions).

Very true, though I feel Suda51 does this to a heavier extent. The works he's written and directed often like to convey narrative in unusual ways. For example, there's a scene in Killer7
(where upon entering a room, the player sees Harman Smith and Kun Lan talking to an unseen person, who kills them)
that makes no sense until the player unlocks and plays "Killer8" mode using the new character
a younger version of Harman Smith, who manifested himself as a new personality of Garcian when he entered the room
. It's really interesting stuff.

They're both postmodernists, but Suda does it very differently than Shinbo. It's only natural, since they're working in very different mediums after all.

Antiwhippy

Ah, so it's that kind of show?

Does reek a bit like "girls don't play with action figures", though I guess it's cool that a symbol of femininity is transformed into a tool of fighting power? I dunno anymore.

The action seems fun, so I'll continue for now. If I like it till the end then I might watch the original precure too.

I have a question about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I read online that the Stardust Crusaders is the third "part" of the series. Are there any anime adaptations of Part 1 and 2? It seems weird that the show would start in the middle...(I've never heard of Jojo since recently)

Clov

I have a question about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I read online that the Stardust Crusaders is the third "part" of the series. Are there any anime adaptations of Part 1 and 2? It seems weird that the show would start in the middle...(I've never heard of Jojo since recently)

There is; Parts 1 and 2 were adapted as part of the 2012 anime.

Antiwhippy

They covered those in season 1 already.

cajunator

Banned
I hope I'm not running out too soon considering the speed at which I'm burning through this stuff.

Well for now, the first episode of Chihayafuru as appetizer before I go to bed, may it grant me sweet dreams.

It starts off very strong. Youll probably go to sleep with that wonderful OP song in your head.

Well, I may not be sure what show I like the most from this season, but Glasslip is definitely the worst. I don't know how they managed to make such garbage out of an interesting premise. When the ending is the best part of your show, you've got a real problem.

Glasslip was certainly a letdown. Its so dull :(

What are some good sports anime to watch for someone who's not watched any?

Taisho Baseball Girls
Princess Nine
Chihayafuru

So i wanted to get into the fate/stay series. Which recently I have heard people rave about. But i could have sworn there was one of the series that was like, absolute dog shit? No?

What should i be watching to get into this?

Fate Zero is what you seek. Fate stay Night was done much earlier by a different studio and half assed.

ok actually, maybe this is why i am confused.
Is fate/zero a completely different thing?

because people seem to genuinely like that

Yes, Fate Zero is done by Ufotable and is on an entirely different tier of quality.

Non Non Biyori 10

Those scenes with baby Renge dear lord my heart now I know how Cajun feels

Hunter x Hunter 141

Hey, look at all these wacky candidates! We'll trot them out as slowly as possible!
Can't knock that part to much, it's more Togashi's style I guess. We even got one of these character trots the very latest chapter. But I kind of forgot the difference between hunters with stars and the ones without and what 1, 2 and 3 star hunters did to get them..

They did good on Illumi's bloodlust, but not so good on those cars.

Nyannnnnpasu!

god I sometimes forget how much I hate j-pop and idol music. Every anime should just be jazz/funk and funny death metal. Brynhyldr OP 2, where art thou?

COme on doggie, live a little!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvYnEZwsFA

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh yes, Shaft and GHM are definitely similar in that aspect. That said, Shaft does seemingly put out relatively decent shows and adapt source materials in an unique way. GHM games are barely passable in the gameplay department and are really only notable in the weird aspect. Shaft at least puts out good visuals now.

People really don't like Lollipop Chainsaw but I enjoyed it a lot, much more than KiD and Shadows of the Damned. It's mostly that the humor was on point for what it was (sort of like a videogame version of Panty & Stocking). Also the soundtrack was banging. KiD is seemingly sort of mixed in that it seems the higher level combat supposedly is good but the story is Killer 7 levels of weird and wtf.

It's hard to find perfectly analogous criteria for comparing an interactive medium to a non-interactive medium, but I understand what you're getting at. SHAFT has an advantage over GHM in that it's easier to use "style" to compensate for low production values in a purely visual 2D medium--SHAFT's directors have the Shinbo method down to a science at this point, while GHM has always struggled to translate the "tone" of their games to any kind of cohesive graphic style that can convey themes and emotions visually. Suda51 has decent cinematic skills, but they're typically limited to cutscenes and everything else is just jank.

Clov

It's hard to find perfectly analogous criteria for comparing an interactive medium to a non-interactive medium, but I understand what you're getting at. SHAFT has an advantage over GHM in that it's easier to use "style" to compensate for low production values in a purely visual 2D medium--SHAFT's directors have the Shinbo method down to a science at this point, while GHM has always struggled to translate the "tone" of their games to any kind of cohesive graphic style that can function as an extension of atmosphere or express themes and emotions visually. Suda51 has decent cinematic skills, but they're typically limited to cutscenes and everything else is just jank.

Eh, I think it depends on the game. For stuff like Flower, Sun, and Rain I can see that (there's even a character in the game who comments on the "ugly, blocky" graphics). Yet when I look at something like The SIlver Case, I see someone who was able to convey a very creepy and surreal tone very well on a low budget. The graphics during the exploration segments definitely are simple, but it seems that a good portion of the game uses his "film window" style dialogue boxes; boxes of variable size that appear on screen that display artwork or text. These are separate from the FMV (both CG and live action) cutscenes in the game, and personally I find they get the tone across very effectively.

I definitely understand your point, and it especially applies to GHM's recent work. Personally though, I think Suda can convey his ideas through the game itself very well
if he's writing and directing the game himself

The pacing in Angelic Layer is kind of remarkable in how lean it is, particularly between tournaments. At least this far in the series. Of course it's only 26 episodes and the manga didn't go on into infinity.
Of course a lot of mangaka are hacks. Nisekoi doesn't do anything new, it just takes it to disgusting new levels of cynicism and exploitation of audience expectation.
At least something like Nisekoi will end in less than a decade, meanwhile other series go on for decades.

Articalys

HtX9JsW.png

I'd think most people are happy with their current avatars but I couldn't help making this one, it was too perfect.

Seo's one of the few characters for me who is a jerk but still likable.

cajunator

Banned
To me the best anime comedy is still fumoffu.

Fumoffu, Binbougami Ga, and Detroit Metal City are probably the funniest shows Ive seen.

Haha. I'm going to assume that stands for the show Kokoro Connect. I haven't seen that one yet. Okay, I was going to say it was something like last years Tari Tari but without the music angle and focusing more on the slice of life and relationship angst with a little bit of a supernatural element to it. It doesn't focus too much on that and it's really more just another tool or catalyst for the drama and interactions of the characters.

Okay, I was just wondering. Yeah, sometimes it wouldn't bother me to post more but I don't feel I have too much to add and that maybe the show is just fairly straightforward enough anyway.

Bonus question. If I were to start either Aria or Tamayura, which one would you recommend to go through first?

Aria alllll day every day!

Kiniro Mosaic 1-3

I needed this.

A little Kinmoza never hurt anybody (and helped a whole lot!)

Errr I love this show too but Chet you might not wanna post this sorts thing...

Angelic Layer Ep. 7

Some poor storytelling in this episode. Woof. The attempt to give the opponent some depth fell flat on its face and then there was the mishandling of
Misaki's psychological damage from her first loss in the previous episode. She had symptoms of PTSD and then everything was dandy by the end of the episode.
A quick look at the manga suggests this episode's story was not in the manga. Apparently this episode written by the director of the series. Yikes. Luckily, it doesn't look like he did any more.

I love how this show resolved everything. One of my favies.

Arjuna 3

Man, this sure is pretty to look at.

This episode was OK. I really wasn't feeling it too much. It wasn't bad, but I don't know. Something about it just didn't click with me.

I'm still not really sure what Chris means about her being dirty. Maybe that she's too destructive (willing to kill) or something? Eh, I'm sure it'll be explained soon enough. And I'm assuming killing the Raaja is not a good thing? Does more harm than good to the Earth maybe?

Also, that end credits song -- so good.

Burgers and mountains, indeed. I am ready to learn!

Excellent! You are learning from the mountain!!
Please do continue!

How can you not like Inaban, Kirby?!?

What huh how no way guhhhhhhh

Heh, it shouldn't be to bad. While I am often vocal about my dislike of things, I try not to dismiss other people's feelings towards things, nor directly insult anyone (aka never feel that just because I absolutely hate a character that I feel you are wrong or stupid to l like them.). I also learned long ago that it's not worth the effort trying to convince someone they are wrong... so I will often just drop a converstation if I feel it's devolved into basically an argument trying to convince each other that the other is right. I do love in general discussing anime though. My favorite thing about humanity is always that personalities can be so different, and that the same show watched by two different people can have vastly different reactions from those people. I find it interesting to see both sides.

To be fair I knew from the start this thread was in general Moe friendly (or at least the more active members tend to be) this isn't my first trip to the anime thread. I tried posting in here regularly about 2 years ago, but alas you guys are to active and back then I didn't have green text to tell me when someone responded so it became to much work to hold conversationalist with people on here so I stopped coming around. Recently I remembered the anime thread and that I can see when people respond to me thanks to the threads for sailor moon crystal and aldnoah zero thus I came back here. I will likely stick around this time as it's fun to talk about something you are passionate about... and given I watch at least 50 anime series a year (often series I don't like) it shouldn't be surprising I am passionate about anime.

That's fair, I mean my definition really only covered the tsun part thus it would be an improper definition anyway. A properly developed tsundere character can in fact be interesting, but alas they are often so shallowly done and so cliche anymore that watching the first 30 seconds of a scene I can pause, write out the rest of the scene, and have 90% of the scene correct :/

Its perfectly acceptable to have a differing opinion. In act its welcomed. Wouldnt be fun if everybody just agreed on everything right?

IT'S PIKACHU!

You are so cute Kavey :)
http://vinescope.com/whos-that-pokemon-817.html

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS 10

...What the hell?

Interesting, the music sounds pretty Celtic as he's becoming more a part of their family. Ties back into the title.

An old joke, but still funny. Akio da best.

Wow, this is starting to get really depressing.

Huh, not sure why, but the twins look like they were drawn to look a bit older here. Could just be the lack of uniforms.

And Okazaki just asked for Akio's blessing.
He's starting to mature.

...I just mentioned that he had started to mature, show. No need to spell it out.

Trying to get used to a new job. Yeah, I know that feeling.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well, I may not be sure what show I like the most from this season, but Glasslip is definitely the worst. I don't know how they managed to make such garbage out of an interesting premise. When the ending is the best part of your show, you've got a real problem.
Glad to heard I'm not missing much after dropping it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's another PA works school romance. It's exactly what you'd expect it to be.
I hardly pay attention to studio names so I can't really judge based on them. All I know is I read it was about glass blowing and what I got was everything but glass blowing.

Quasar

Certainly not the worst I'm watching. I'd just call it an average teen soap. Not that I'm sure I know what is worst given I drop stuff I'm not enjoying. I guess maybe Invaders or Railwars or Locodols.

Thoraxes

I realize I'm in the minority in how I feel toward Monogatari S2. It wasn't necessarily bad to me, but the whole narrative was "gilding the lily", so to speak. I was so perfectly satisfied by how each arc resolved in Bakemonogatari that the arcs in S2 felt inherently unnecessary to me, regardless of the actual quality of their writing.

I can totally understand that perspective. I think that has more to do with the source material than SHAFT themselves though. Nise is kind of the outlier here though, to which i'd definitely attribute your general feelings to. (my own on this as well, at least for Nise!)
Thoraxes you were always my favorite.

Also SHAFT's best show since Madoka was Denpa Onna.
Brofist

I may have a related surprise coming in the mail this week that's related to this post and something very recently going OOP or OOS for its premium version (don't know if there will ever be a standard version either).

Clannad AS 10

...What the hell?

Interesting, the music sounds pretty Celtic as he's becoming more a part of their family. Ties back into the title.

An old joke, but still funny. Akio da best.

Wow, this is starting to get really depressing.

Huh, not sure why, but the twins look like they were drawn to look a bit older here. Could just be the lack of uniforms.

And Okazaki just asked for Akio's blessing.
He's starting to mature.

...I just mentioned that he had started to mature, show. No need to spell it out.

Trying to get used to a new job. Yeah, I know that feeling.

Awwwwwwww yesssssss!

Getting into the meat and potatos of After Story. Tomoya grows up so much here. I love it. What even better is that the show actually progresses
into his life after high school (getting a job, etc)
which is so rare to see in an anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom