• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chihayafuru - 01-05

Here my short impressions so far.

• Karuta seems quite interesting as a game or sport. Enjoyed those match scenes the most so far.
  • Visuals are nice although faces look a bit off, probably once again due to the big eyes.
  • So far the protagonists' characters were established and I like them well enough. That said I hope they execute well on the love-triangle drama that's bound to happen. Taichi won't be too much of a one-note asshole I hope. Disliked the drama caused by him the least in the elementary school days, even if it was necessary to establish everyone. But I do expect a lot of character progression.
  • Overall it has been a bit too drama heavy for my liking, especially since some things are so obvious, like the Arata's grandfather's death. That they didn't even realize that after seeing the shrine... (I mean I guess the characters wouldn't actually know who that man was but damn it, take a good guess).
Up to this point it's quite alright but hope it'll draw me in further.

Joe Molotov

Yes! Precure 5 01-03

We're only three episodes in, and they've already been attacked by tentacle monsters twice.
lV2kE.png

Also, Cure Lemonade! Spiral hair, go!

5dLqizW.jpg

zulux21

Chihayafuru - 01-05

Here my short impressions so far.

• Karuta seems quite interesting as a game or sport. Enjoyed those match scenes the most so far.
  • Visuals are nice although faces look a bit off, probably once again due to the big eyes.
  • So far the protagonists' characters were established and I like them well enough. That said I hope they execute well on the love-triangle drama that's bound to happen. Taichi won't be too much of a one-note asshole I hope. Disliked the drama caused by him the least in the elementary school days, even if it was necessary to establish everyone. But I do expect a lot of character progression.
  • Overall it has been a bit too drama heavy for my liking, especially since some things are so obvious, like the Arata's grandfather's death. That they didn't even realize that after seeing the shrine... (I mean I guess the characters wouldn't actually know who that man was but damn it, take a good guess).
Up to this point it's quite alright but hope it'll draw me in further.
drama lightens up after the first few episodes.

Akainu

There was a fullmetal alchemist discussion huh? The og anime wasn't shit because it didn't follow the manga it was shit because it became dumb as fuck.

Akame ga Kill 6
I probably should have expected them to
kill off Sheele first. She had a very weak backstory and lacked a presence until the last episode. Sucks though since she was like the only likeable girl. Going to guess String guy is next.
Justice girl is downright terrible.

Articalys

After this last episode of Ao Haru Ride, I really just need to give up on the shoujo genre as a whole. There's nothing worthwhile to be found there for me.

fertygo

LOL Ao Haru Ride recent eps, its made me laughing like maniac but also embarass the hell of me..

Hammy as fuck, Shoujo as fuck.

Rhapsody

Banned
For any of you who might collect figures, be aware that Nippon Yassan is lying to customers:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124910831&postcount=8695
Just a heads up.

only a couple of episodes to see how it looks. not really sat down to watch it again yet.

That's really unfortunate that happened. I've learned to stay away from them after hearing a lot of a bad news about Nippon Yassan. The only thing I've ordered her PSN cards, but now I have a friend in Japan to help me out instead.

Clov

So I've finished watching the Patlabor OVAs! They were a lot of fun, actually; a great mix of action and comedy. Some episodes were sillier than others (like the sea monster episode) but I was having fun watching it no matter the episode's tone. That opening theme is so catchy too! Now I'll be rewatching the movies, for the first time in a few years. I wonder if I'll like them even better having seen the OVA?

Nafe

Is anyone still watching Captain Earth? The OT is pretty dead. It's just Andrew in there and I didn't even bother to post impressions for last week's episode. :(

T_T

I'm still watching it every week. I haven't been posting about it since I just didn't feel I really had anything interesting to add. I thought about posting near the start of the show that there really wasn't as much technobabble as people were accusing it of. It was pretty much just, mecha and pilots are named this and enemy mecha and pilots are named that, type of thing.

I was a bit dissapointed about what happened to that scientist/researcher girl who wanted immortality though. I thought she could have been an interesting character or antagonist and even her assistant guy there I don't think has shown up again since that episode.

RIP. :(

It's a fun show. Not outstanding or anything, but fun! :(

I feel the same. It's maybe not super amazing but it's still entertaining enough. That's ultimately what I look for in my anime. If a show turns out to just be really well made and executed and everything then it's just a bonus. Not everything has to be the best or worst thing ever.

Yeah, Kokoro Connect was a lot of angst and bodyswapping and whatnot. Although to be fair, it actually reminds me of that one off show... Summer Miracles? (Eh, might as well Google it: Natsuiro Kiseki) The seeing the future stuff seems to be much lighter and not the primary premise of the show, whereas Kokopops was built entirely on the various awkward situations that the characters were put in because they were being "experimented" on.

Natsuiro Kiseki was that one about the magic rock or something right? I thought about watching it in the season it aired but haven't seen it yet.

I also checked on Tari Tari and that was actually summer season of 2012 and not last year. That was around when I had first joined when we were talking about that show. I didn't realize it had been that long even though technically that's still not that long ago.

Oh yeah, I started listening to the current Bravo Whiskey podcast and before that initially my internet was slow and I tried taking a look at the archive.org page to see if it would load. For some reason it's posted four times there but with slightly different titles,haha.

I'd say Aria because it's all out, but I think it depends if you're in the mood of light scifi/magic realism or something extremely grounded in real world Japan. Personally, Aria is still my favourite animu that I've seen, so of course I would suggest that first.

Well, I would like to watch both eventually but with two votes for Aria I guess I'll start that first. I'll see if I can start either later or tomorrow. :)

Syrinx

Dirty Pair 17-26

I wasn't really posting impressions for this show much since I didn't have too much to say about each episode, but overall this was a pretty funny and cool show. And 80s. They did some pretty cool stuff with the missions and interactions between the main two.

Yes/No on OVAs and Flash (I suspect the answer to the latter is no, but I'm checking)?

TUSR

Banned
I saw some Date A Live news here earlier today but I can't find the page it was on.

S3 or was it something else?

No Game No Life 10

Sora's right. Bathing together is the truest way to form bonds. Anime-Gaf, let's take a bath together.
OK for the bath , but only if everyone keep their phone outside . i have some secrets that must be kept secret (???).

I saw some Date A Live news here earlier today but I can't find the page it was on.

S3 or was it something else?

Oav and drama cds ?

----------------------------
Akame Ga kill - 06

Earlier i was angry at how Tokyo ESP was doing a piss poor job adapting a manga ..and i must say that Akame ga kill is EXACTLY the opposite.
This is a great way to handle an adaptation even if you don't have that much budget. The fact is that they nailed the key scenes of this episode perfectly ..i'm actually happy since the first dice has been cast And from now on every battle will have a painfull loser and a not so painless winner. This is finally the starting line and not only the voice actors very good , but they don't sine away from showing what must be shown. So , this episode is a great 9/10 for me..

I now have VERY HIGH HOPES for the other battles now that "she" is finally BACK to the capital !

Narag

Which reminds me: where the hell is the Aladdin bluray (for the U.S.)?

Apparently you can get a $25 UK version that's region free but pretty barebones.

Dirty Pair 17-26

I wasn't really posting impressions for this show much since I didn't have too much to say about each episode, but overall this was a pretty funny and cool show. And 80s. They did some pretty cool stuff with the missions and interactions between the main two.

Yes/No on OVAs and Flash (I suspect the answer to the latter is no, but I'm checking)?

Watch the OVAs and the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53R0LoeV8c Opening to the movie is just awesome.

cajunator

Banned
That's really unfortunate that happened. I've learned to stay away from them after hearing a lot of a bad news about Nippon Yassan. The only thing I've ordered her PSN cards, but now I have a friend in Japan to help me out instead.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124914356&postcount=8708

We provided them with photographic evidence and comparison to the real thing they still insist. This is outright lying to customers.
I hate bootlegs and bootleggers so much.

/XX/

Fuck. Robin Williams committed suicide.Another gut punch to start my day. Terribly sad.
And Robin Williams was the Gendō Ikari voice we couldn't have:

-Carl (Horn) confirmed that Robin Williams did indeed audition to play Gendo in the dub and that his audition recording still exists somewhere.
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6728/Evangelion-The-Endless-Debate-Fanime-2009-Panel/

It was a performance too good for us, probably... 'Q.E.P.D.', Mr. Williams.

Midonin

Sailor Moon 27-28

28 had some weird audio quality problems, but both of these were pretty nice average episodes for the series. Having Ami and Usagi have a (mostly) solo adventure was fun - Rei wasn't even in the episode until the end, and I keep being reminded of how much the writers are pushing the Rei/Mamoru angle even though that doesn't exist in any other Sailor Moon media. The locket thing does look important, I'm excited to find out more about what that does. Usagi really needs to be careful with her merch, though. Moon Bandai won't be happy if she just leaves it on the ground.

I also like the new opening visuals and ending song more than the first pair. Even if the first pair did have the trippy Ikuhara blimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom