• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just feel that it goes too over-the-top wacky for its given setting, if that makes any sense. A lot of the characters seem too extreme, ya know?

Yeah I could see that like with the Fujoshi for instance. Though I feel their characteristics tie in well with the premise. Because the characters in the countryside are more open and welcoming. As compared to the city through Handa's interactions. Who isn't that familar with the friendliness and closeness that the countryside characters provide.

Though I understand why they may seem over the top, but to me it gives them uniqueness and character.

zulux21

Ah, understandable. This case was entirely without context but i get where you're coming from. Not a big deal for me either and I wish it wasn't for others yet there's still a handful of moments in shows that I do like to preserve..

now don't get me wrong... some spoilers bug me (mostly in serious dramas and what not) though the top of my list for spoilers that bugged me would be... one piece opening 3

the opening starts airing at episode 117
(explanation of why it's a major spoiler)
it isn't until episode 130 that robin joins the crew... yet there she is with the crew in the opening. At episode 117 if you hadn't read the manga there is no way you would know that she would join the crew... heck if someone told you someone is going to join the crew you would say Vivi... her inclusion in that opening in that way (if she had been shown as a villain that would be fine) is just a huge screw up by someone and has always bugged me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did we get a comedy as good as Love Lab this year?
Sabagebu > Love Lab.

---

I was looking up Nobunaga no Chef and found this:
5Nn0uiA.jpg

Onna Nobunaga: In this altered edition of Japan’s history, Oda Nobuhide never had a second son but a daughter, who is still being raised as his heir and successor.

I suppose that's the other way to change the name, although it's more of a pun than Oda Nobuna.

So, now we live in a world where there have been at least two gender-swapped Nobunaga texts. Still waiting for femme-Washington saving America from evil British men.

Narag

Rurouni Kenshin 30

I'll always end up marking out at a handful of these despite myself. Encounter at the beginning between Saito and Kenshin actually warrants the description of visceral. I'd forgotten how serious this one was as well what with one or two of the goofy sight gags prevalent early on in the series, instead opting to set the basis for the Kyoto arc with a somber tone.. This was really driven home at the end with Saito being one hardcore motherfucker. I'm still a fan of the speech he gives at the end as its so wonderfully defining of who he is and how he'll never deviate from that.

Jarmel

Banned
Mahouka-18

Thank you god this arc is finally over. Good lord talk about prolonged.

I really wish the incest angle didn't exist.

Angelic Layer Ep. 16

The writing in this episode. Woof. The way they kept beating around the bush about Misaki's weak point made me overthink it way, way too much. The reveal just served to remind that this was written for children. -_- (At least I hope this was primarily intended for children.)

I haven't watched any other series of this variety in a long time to know how this compares, but the internal logic is really poor.
How could Hatoko's angel be knocked out in one blow from this angel while Misaki's can survive several??
Mahouka-18

Complaining about wish fulfillment in a wish fulfillment series. *shakes head*

Narag

now don't get me wrong... some spoilers bug me (mostly in serious dramas and what not) though the top of my list for spoilers that bugged me would be... one piece opening 3

the opening starts airing at episode 117
(explanation of why it's a major spoiler)
it isn't until episode 130 that robin joins the crew... yet there she is with the crew in the opening. At episode 117 if you hadn't read the manga there is no way you would know that she would join the crew... heck if someone told you someone is going to join the crew you would say Vivi... her inclusion in that opening in that way (if she had been shown as a villain that would be fine) is just a huge screw up by someone and has always bugged me.

I don't think that's a screw-up so much as Toei being cheap and realizing their target demo probably didn't care as it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. I didn't even know who she was during my first exposure to the show via movie 6 but inferred enough later on. Checking up on when it aired, I can't imagine many would not know twelves years later by means of cultural osmosis alone.

did my gurren lagann rewatch after i finished kill la kill. god damn i love this series. i think i might bite on that $550 bluray in a few months :/

what's everybody's opinion on the dub though? i tend to prefer subtitles but i actually prefer the english dub on this series. i like kamina in particular.

zulux21

XD

We finally get a viable VR machine, and this is the first thing Japan does with it.

actually japan took it way farther then that already

this article is not safe for work... not even a little, don't click it if you don't want to see what the Japanese have done with VR and a sex toy. (note aside from the censored female at the top of the article nothing is actually shown, but still not the type of article you want to be caught reading)
I don't think that's a screw-up so much as Toei being cheap and realizing their target demo probably didn't care as it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. I didn't even know who she was during my first exposure to the show via movie 6 but inferred enough later on. Checking up on when it aired, I can't imagine many would not know twelves years later by means of cultural osmosis alone.

in the grand scheme of things with how many episodes the show is... it's not a huge huge deal...
watching as the series aired, as someone who had not read the manga it was a big deal.... it was basically showing off the big twist to the end of the arc 13 episodes before it happened... It's one of the only moments in one piece I didn't actually see coming and it was ruined in a freaken opening :/

Dresden

did my gurren lagann rewatch after i finished kill la kill. god damn i love this series. i think i might bite on that $550 bluray in a few months :/

what's everybody's opinion on the dub though? i tend to prefer subtitles but i actually prefer the english dub on this series. i like kamina in particular.

Too used to the jp dub after the first watch, can't get used to the eng dub at all. :(

Jarmel

Banned
It's not incest, it's just written and drawn in a way that makes it look and sound like incest.

I keep asking myself why does this exist? I know the answer is money and pandering but why can't it just be a normal brother/sister relationship?

Link Man

Banned
It's not incest, it's just written and drawn in a way that makes it look and sound like incest.

Here in America we have a saying: Where there's smoke, there's fire. The sister's adoration goes well beyond that of a normal brother/sister relationship.

Narag

Saw the commercial advertising it on Toonami last week and caught a bit of the dub. That was more than enough for me.

duckroll

Has anyone here seen the Rurouni Kenshin live action films? How are they for somebody who finds, for the most part except for a few films, japanese live action a bit silly when they try to do anime stuff?

I mean samurai/ninja films tend to be the only stuff I really like from live action so I should enjoy them, but how close do they try to emulate the silly anime humor?

edit: actually I've never even checked if they're available on the west lol.

I watched the first movie. It's okay. If you find Japanese live action stuff cheesy this will be no different. There are some nice shots, but a lot of the time it still looks like high quality cosplay. The movie is really long too, and gets a bit bogged down with trying to connect a few plots together to make it feel like a more complete film.

The next films are the Kyoto Arc done in two movies. The first one opens here at the end of the month, so I haven't seen it yet. The second one opens later this year.

The dub really grew on me when I watched it with friends. Has its ups and downs. IMHO the sub>dub clear superiority isn't as so these days with new dubs, they're getting pretty competent. Except for Attack on Titan. Everytime an ad is on I feel like the dub is just horrible.

I watched the first movie. It's okay. If you find Japanese live action stuff cheesy this will be no different. There are some nice shots, but a lot of the time it still looks like high quality cosplay. The movie is really long too, and gets a bit bogged down with trying to connect a few plots together to make it feel like a more complete film.

The next films are the Kyoto Arc done in two movies. The first one opens here at the end of the month, so I haven't seen it yet. The second one opens later this year.

I watched the trailer again. Like you said, I might skip it. While I enjoy historical samurai/ninja films because they have little cheese factor, this is not doing it for me. Lead guy with the outfit just doesn't look good and indeed seems like cosplay. His face is too effeminate, so mixed with the outfit it looks like a lady.

I watched the english dub first and I liked it. Kamina was great. Opinions seem to vary though.

Mahouka-18

Well next Arc your gonna see the limiter thats been placed on Onii-sama removed. Your gonna see him destroy many enemies with his final form.

The dub is alright (better then most) but you can't beat the subs GIGA DRILL BREAKER's

Lurky

Monogatari Series S2 Episode 22

This episode makes me feel even worse for Nadeko. I can't believe how cute she still is! =[ Anyways this episode was pretty boring. It was mostly just Kaiki going around seeing how Nadeko was. I assume the next episode or two will also just be rather boring set-ups for the finale. At least I get to see more Nadeko. ;_;

Quasar

Here in America we have a saying: Where there's smoke, there's fire. The sister's adoration goes well beyond that of a normal brother/sister relationship.

Which doesn't make it incest to me. It could become that if he reciprocated and they did something.

Narag

in the grand scheme of things with how many episodes the show is... it's not a huge huge deal...
watching as the series aired, as someone who had not read the manga it was a big deal.... it was basically showing off the big twist to the end of the arc 13 episodes before it happened... It's one of the only moments in one piece I didn't actually see coming and it was ruined in a freaken opening :/

I can empathize if you were there at the beginning.

Mature

Trust & Betrayal can be watched at any point, before, after, during, or even in absence of, the original anime or manga. It's that good. Even those with no interest in RK should watch it.
Absolutely. It's an undeniably seminal work in the medium.

Go watch it if you haven't!

Has anyone here seen the Rurouni Kenshin live action films? How are they for somebody who finds, for the most part except for a few films, japanese live action a bit silly when they try to do anime stuff?

I mean samurai/ninja films tend to be the only stuff I really like from live action so I should enjoy them, but how close do they try to emulate the silly anime humor?

edit: actually I've never even checked if they're available on the west lol.
I don't really know if the films will really speak to your specific sensibilities, but the Kenshin Live action films are a great time. My friend just saw the new one over in Japan and was really impressed by it. I'd recommend them.

asuka
anno

CorvoSol

Monogatari Series S2 Episode 22

This episode makes me feel even worse for Nadeko. I can't believe how cute she still is! =[ Anyways this episode was pretty boring. It was mostly just Kaiki going around seeing how Nadeko was. I assume the next episode or two will also just be rather boring set-ups for the finale. At least I get to see more Nadeko. ;_;

Man I don't feel bad for Nadeko at all. I'll withhold why since I guess you're not to the end yet, but by the end of that show all I felt was that little brat got less than she deserved.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like Sabagebu, but no. Love Lab had better characters and way better animation. I will grant that Love Lab had some weaker dramatic bits which Sabagebu doesn't have.
Insert Sabagebu passes the Bechdel Test every episode here.

But really, the very premise of Love Lab limits it to the point where it's stuck in the one mode all the time. Sabagebu is a much broader show, which in my opinion allows it to hit varied comedic notes.

Yup.

Lurky

Man I don't feel bad for Nadeko at all. I'll withhold why since I guess you're not to the end yet, but by the end of that show all I felt was that little brat got less than she deserved.

But she's so cuuute. I can't bring myself to hate her.

Quasar

But you're just mean, so that's a given :)

I felt bad for her pretty much all the way through.

JoeFu

Banned
seriously every time she said koyomi-onichan I wanted to punch my monitor.

catchy ops though.

Oh yeah the part where she goes berserk was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom