• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mk3c5sav.jpg
mk2sos0y.jpg

Mahouka 12-13

Man, I can just taste the salt from over here.

Best girl Mayumi knowing who to truly congratulate over their schools overwhelming wins for the girls.

Not to say anything bad over Shizuku and Honoka (who looked nice in their costumes), but we all know whose the true MVP is.

DEATH™;125586380 said:
Sorry, fixed it... School Days it is...

Im not masochistic enough to be worthy of watching it...
It's definitely painful to watch. If you really have no plans to watch it I can't recommend reading/seeing how it ends at the least. It's beautiful.

Yopis

It's been a pretty good year for getting older anime on BD in North America. We've already had Nadia and CCS, and coming soon there's Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service... I'm pretty happy with that, at least.

Where are people ordering stuff from? Good store so I can jump back on the train.

Jex

[Space Dandy: Episode Whatever]

This just seemed really...uninspired? Well, they can't all be great, or perhaps they can't all be interesting.

Quasar

Rail Wars! 07

Bro, bro. Are you just realizing you are a harem protagonist? Come'on man! All praise to Aoi though she is perfect, Koumi confirmed for terrible person.

I almost fell out of my chair when he asked her if she was part of his harem. I don't think I've seen someone do that before.

Quasar

Glasslip 07
Oh boy, we're changing the rules on their powers. And maybe her sightseeing is getting stronger too. I don't think she looked at glass at all this episode and still got visions.

What the heck Sacchi. I thought you were cool...

Well it was never just glass.

Mr.Jeff

[Space Dandy: Episode Whatever]

This just seemed really...uninspired? Well, they can't all be great, or perhaps they can't all be interesting.
I'd be interested to see if someone makes a list, when Space Dandy comes to an end, of episodes that are worth watching. A bit like Branduil's fantastic evisceration of Non Non Biyori.
That said I appreciate it's probably a lot of work so I'll probably just wait for the Sakuga MADs and gifs to pop up.

cajunator

Banned
It's been a pretty good year for getting older anime on BD in North America. We've already had Nadia and CCS, and coming soon there's Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service... I'm pretty happy with that, at least.

It has been a REALLY amazing year for anime releases.

Where are people ordering stuff from? Good store so I can jump back on the train.

Rightstuf is your god.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As a lover of Nyaruko-san I'm offended by that comparison.
They do a lot of reference comedy where the "joke" is literally just "hey guys recognise this?"

Gintama does reference comedy, but it's usually part of another joke so even if you don't get the reference you still have a perfectly good joke to enjoy. That's how reference based humour should be constructed.

Quasar

I've only heard good about the LN's. Are they really that much better then the anime? Might pick them up for a good read. Tend to like Manga/Ln more then their anime counterparts.

I feel it is. Mostly the world building and plot. The lewdness is pretty insane though. Not in terms of intensity or amount, but the ideas behind them.

2 things.
1) no idea why you're forced to watch things you don't like
DOES NOT COMPUTE

2) You don't like highschool dxd , it's a shame ( since i like it ) but i understand.
However.... just WATCH SHOWS you enjoy !
Dropping shows you don't like is not an option it's mandatory !!

If its animated, and I watch one episode, I'm watching the entire series. Its a curse I tell ya.

Quasar

They do a lot of reference comedy where the "joke" is literally just "hey guys recognise this?"

Gintama does reference comedy, but it's usually part of another joke so even if you don't get the reference you still have a perfectly good joke to enjoy. That's how reference based humour should be constructed.

Well as a guy who I am sure misses most of the references but still finds it hilarious (especially anything kamen rider related), I feel nyaruko-san works like that too.

Quasar

He's pretending like he can't recommend it to anyone but it has dragons and it's a guilty pleasure. Why even give it a review then that show stopped being about dragons way before the ending the fact you kept watching, and your previous tastes in anime, means you enjoy the nudity and fan service don't try to pretend like you're above it.

He should like Blade Dance then...it feels like Dragonrar but with wizards instead of dragonriders. Even down to the mc with little girl partner (in this case a sword spirit who turns into a sword rather than a dragon).

If its animated, and I watch one episode, I'm watching the entire series. Its a curse I tell ya.
Indeed you are cursed.

I'd be interested to see if someone makes a list, when Space Dandy comes to an end, of episodes that are worth watching. A bit like Branduil's fantastic evisceration of Non Non Biyori.
That said I appreciate it's probably a lot of work so I'll probably just wait for the Sakuga MADs and gifs to pop up.

Space dandy strenght is how each episode is unique , one episode someone might dislike, you might like , because they are made from different mold , and they have different goals.

Watching "just a part" is like missing out the entire point of space dandy.

Some episode i found boring , still had thing that other liked.. and the opposite happenned too...
Anyway , just watch it all. You cannot even hide behind the fact that you want action or well animated sequences, space dandy is full of them , at every level for different purposes.

Thoraxes

Like I said, it was only my $1 blind box item lol. I was expecting like a piece of shit or something that was kind of a little broken.

And then it's this jewel.

Andrew J.

That video, and the amount of appreciation you show for it, always reminds me of this:

The upper echelons of irony should always include measures of sincerity. And if the satirical practice is executed faithfully it will achieve something bona fide in its own right regardless. Through an intense commitment bordering on religious devotion to the absolutely inane, absurd, or plain fucking stupid, a very different kind of sincerity begins to materialize. One of reverence to the ridiculous. You begin to 'mean it,' but what exactly it is you mean is never quite what appears on the surface, and is utterly inaccessible to obtuse and literal minds. That you 'mean it' then becomes inseparable from the joke, and additional rich strata of humor may be stripped aggressively from this irreconcilable truth.

Mr.Jeff

Where did all your screentime go?

Dog Days 8 - END
It's kinda sad that the big climactic fight with the princess and hero, while impressive, was nowhere near as impressive as Yukikaze and the Dame's follow-up afterwards. If the series carried on with their stuff, it'd probably be more interesting.

That said, the show ended up being pretty enjoyable. All things considered not a lot actually happened really but it's telling that it was able to pace itself well for the 13 episode run.
It's a pretty much by your numbers run of the cast in terms of archetypes but there's some nice fun chemistry there: Eclair and Becky* aside.
Ending was an absolutely gigantic contrived mess but was perfectly pitched in sappiness tone that it was still good.

Final thoughts: Not really setting the world on fire but I enjoyed it despite.

*Childhood friend. Instant dislike. Depressed she's in the following series.

Hitsugi no Chaika 1-3

Pretty interesting show so far. Chaika herself is great, love the way she speaks and her little cute moments. Good action and I am liking the story so far.

tumblr_n7drkiDIx41so56pco1_500.gif

If we don't get Sawashiro, Tomatsu, Hayami, and Sachika I will hurt someone!
Why would you want Miyukichi to be in another bad show?

Dog Days 8 - END
It's kinda sad that the big climactic fight with the princess and hero, while impressive, was nowhere near as impressive as Yukikaze and the Dame's follow-up afterwards. If the series carried on with their stuff, it'd probably be more interesting.

That said, the show ended up being pretty enjoyable. All things considered not a lot actually happened really but it's telling that it was able to pace itself well for the 13 episode run.
It's a pretty much by your numbers run of the cast in terms of archetypes but there's some nice fun chemistry there: Eclair and Becky* aside.
Ending was an absolutely gigantic contrived mess but was perfectly pitched in sappiness tone that it was still good.

You loved it and Eclair, stop lying! Also thankfully there's a good human in S2, a delicious tomboy voiced by Nana Mizuki so she voices a cute and an UNF.

Narag

Dog Days 8 - END

Once you start season 2 you'll have grown more powerful than I.

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch 7

ooo I like the looks of that new girl. And it looks like the landlady finally showed up. The next episode will be a school sports festival so i'm looking forward to that. :p

Mr.Jeff

You loved it and Eclair, stop lying! Also thankfully there's a good human in S2, a delicious tomboy voiced by Nana Mizuki so she voices a cute and an UNF.
Despite it being Kitamura Eri, I can't really like Eclair. Time wasted on a boring character when it could be spent on more fun or entertaining ones; the Galette trio for example are great fun! Can't really be dealing with "I like you but I'm going to pretend not to [punch!]" characters.

I did pick out the cousin voiced by Mizuki near the end. Also seemed kinda ridiculous that two "athletics" sportspeople are versed in fighting with staffs though.

Mahouka 14

Opening: I much prefer this one then the first. It just sounds so much better.
Ending: Honestly, this might be one of my favorite ED songs ever. Definitely want to hear the full version whenever it comes

Its so nice seeing Tats having enough faith in Mayumi to spill out top secret info to her when they're alone together.

Course it won't help him avoid participating in the event, but its not like he truly hates the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom