• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Mahouka 15

I've always found it amusing how they skipped the aftermath of that in the LN.

Solely because no matter what she says, the "Brother Complex Queen" doesn't have a single leg to stand on.

I wonder about how they skipped that whole book that included things like confessions and the whole student council changeover. They didn't even explain the latter.

Clov

The other thing that's currently used by Funi and Sentai at least is something called a region code lockout. Basically this taps into the device's parental controls settings (which hardly anyone changes) to prevent you from watching it unless you've got it set to the United States/Canada's rating systems. Workarounds are present, but it's an effective way to lock out viewing entirely (Sentai) or force watching in English (Funi). This is typically used in combination with delaying the scheduled release (though if you're Funi, you don't contact the Japanese side because you're already delayed enough because of your backlog and then you piss off Kadokawa by releasing titles the same month as them).

Japanese encoders/authors typically give the maximum amount of bitrate they can per episode because they've got a whole BD-25/BD-50 for movies to use so why not? NA encoders/authors are the opposite where they'll cram as much as possible while trying to make it look good. Some shows where it's bright (like most of Sentai's 12 sub-only/1 disc series) work alright because it's not easy to compress. Sadly, Funi's encoders absolutely suck, so no matter what happens, it'll look awful due to brightness levels changing too much. Not really about episodes on a disc so much as proper encoding/authors and the mostly lack thereof in the NA market.

I didn't even know about the region code lockout. That's really interesting stuff!

You're definitely right about Funi's video quality being spotty though. It really depends on the set; my Princess Jellyfish BDs look fine to me, but the Lain set has some noticeable banding in places (I've heard that was present in the source, but Funi ended up making it more noticeable).

I wonder about how they skipped that whole book that included things like confessions and the whole student council changeover. They didn't even explain the latter.

My guess is that they are gonna do OVAs. But man do I hope they make the Reminiscence Arc into a movie.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 195

I suspected that Natsu would probably do that since one of the dragons was made of pure flame.
That this would how he tamed his dragon and turned him into an ally
, I can't say I saw that part coming. And then there's the nature of time paradoxes. The tournament part of the tournament arc is pretty much over for now, and I'm enjoying this. Really want to know what Future!Lucy's diary said.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you're going to watch be warned that the show is rough around the edges, which is acknowledged by Monty and they are already making improvements in the second season (consistent episode lengths, no more phantom people, better/more assets/etc). If nothing else you can enjoy it for the music/over the top fights and

interesting weapons.
He just mixes everything with a gun. And then the gun part doesn't matter. Very interesting.

bskyvc.jpg

interesting weapons.

Interesting weapons that are marginalized when he introduced "hey every character has their own superpower" to the plot.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know, if you're going to use CG, you might as well do some cool shit with the camera.

Link Man

Banned
If you're going to watch be warned that the show is rough around the edges, which is acknowledged by Monty and they are already making improvements in the second season (consistent episode lengths, no more phantom people, better/more assets/etc). If nothing else you can enjoy it for the music/over the top fights and

bskyvc.jpg

interesting weapons.

Gunchucks?

Kieli

If some of you can't stand baka gaijin language, you could always watch the Chinese dub. It's very competent.

That being said, I actually enjoy RWBY. Which is hilarious because I typically have an extreme (almost irrational) aversion to 4-stupid-girls-doing-stupid-shit-because-it-sells anime.

The jokes also work for me. It's a very western brand of humour, if you could categorize it that way.

Jarmel

Banned
Alright so I'm wondering if anybody knows whether 四季童子(Shikidouji)[FMP illustrator] is female or male? I was pretty damn sure Shikidouji was a female but then I'm seeing in other places they're cited as being male, such as baka-manga and some stuff translated from Gatoh citing Shikidouji as male.

Rhapsody

Banned
Glasslip 7

And Glasslip continues to be weird lol. I'm still enjoying it though.

And unless that was a joke, I'm surprised that glasses girl called him the boyfriend.

dimb

Terror in Resonance 06
There is a scene in this episode where you have a bunch of fairly stark older Japanese higher ups sitting around a dark room, chatting about the FBI joining the investigation. The scene builds to an obnoxiously overdesigned teenage anime girl in a school girl uniform openly mocking and laughing at all of the men in the room. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf

Also, how dumb are the people in this show? Up until now Sphinx have released videos to announce their attacks.

Kieli

Can't wait for Gangsta, though.

Can't believe it got an anime. So hype.

@dimb: Underestimate high school Japanese students at your own risk. Under the Dog has genius high school combatants who make Seal Team 6 and JTF2 look like a joke.

Can't wait for Gangsta, though.

Can't believe it got an anime. So hype.

I'm hyped for it too. The character art from the manga is great. I just hope the adaption doesn't turn out shit. Because I've been disappointed by some manga adaptions.

Now if it airs in the fall that would be awesome.

Terror in Resonance 06

There is a scene in this episode where you have a bunch of fairly stark older Japanese higher ups sitting around a dark room, chatting about the FBI joining the investigation. The scene builds to an obnoxiously overdesigned teenage anime girl in a school girl uniform openly mocking and laughing at all of the men in the room. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf

Also, how dumb are the people in this show? Up until now Sphinx have released videos to announce their attacks.

Adults are always useless in anime though. No exceptions!

jgminto

Terror in Resonance 6
lol at all that engrish from Five and the FBI guys. It's impossible to take them seriously when they talk like that. One thing that didn't really make sense,
they say they can't broadcast that it wasn't them that announced another bomb but they know where the bomb is located. So if they broadcast and said the location would it not force the police to act?
You know, if you're going to use CG, you might as well do some cool shit with the camera.

They could also use textures.

I found it interesting in the most recent episode how even in an all CG series, CG mecha still manage to stand out and look bad.

http://a.pomf.se/rvctsh.webm

That waddle...

dimb

Adults are always useless in anime though. No exceptions!
The kids in this show just want to blow people up. I don't know how useful they are. On top of that Five is staring at the people she wants to apprehend, letting them walk around to play some imaginary chess game.

mankoto

Tokyo ESP 6
Basically a turning point. I didn't expect him
to get kidnapped.
Kinda made me think how many times that happens in storytelling in general.

it's a dumb move to skip this , since those events are kinda necessary to understand future events.

They better provide the necessary information in some way or another.
So they truly skipped Summer Holiday?

Not even sure what to say about that.
it's stupid ? You can say it Everyone who has read the books thinks so too .

I hope we get some oavs to fill that gap before we tackle the 2nd half of that first year.
Terror in Resonance 06

I have hopes that "one" policeman in particular will notice this.

Regardless they received something so it's not like they can ignore it

Not sure what you're talking about here.

I'm saying that having a gun scythe and gun fists and gun chucks was all well and good and cool, then suddenly Pyrrha is all "also I'm Magneto, it's my power, we all have them". Was it not enough that they all had custom weapons and Naruto chakra to power up their physical strength and durability? It just felt like it came out of nowhere. I also don't get how magic works because everyone apparently has one special power, but that one lady is just a straight up wizard with a wand and everything.

It's a lot of individually cool elements crammed together in an attempt to make the coolest thing ever, that comes off as excessive.

AnoHana

~fin

I cried. I cried. I've never cried watching an anime. They're cartoons, they're not real. But they are real. They're as real as you want them to be. As I'm typing this, all I can think of is my friend who commited suicide three years ago. She was one of my best friends growing up. Although we only met once in person, she was my other half, like a sister. She got me through my childhood and teenage years. My family moved four times in six years, state to state. I never had a long enough period to make friends, but Julie was there for me. When my father suddenly passed away when I was 17, she was there. When I failed out of college and was incredibly depressed, she was there. The guilt I felt. I wish I had her back. I wish I could talk to her like in this show. I wish I could tell her so many things. I wish.

Questionable motives be damned. This anime moved me like nothing has moved me in years. I haven't cried since my father passed away, ten years ago. Over a damn anime. I can barely see what I'm typing. Fuck. I think I was holding this in.

Thank you. I'm not sure why I decided to watch this show, I think it was because I saw a post a few pages back where someone mentioned it. So, thank you.

It feels good.

/blog

Edit: Wow, this might be too heavy. Sorry. :(

Anime being able to do this for people is one of the reasons why I love it so much. To have a such a profound affect on anyone... no one can take that away from you.

Now it's time for you to experience Clannad and Clannad After Story. :)

Link Man

Banned
School Days 5

Opening with breasts and bums. Classy.

Embarassed by her large breasts. Wears a string bikini.

We've reached critical mass, and the OP hasn't even started.

A flashback within a flashback? Why did they start at the pool if they were going to rewind after the OP?

This love triangle is turning into a spiderweb.

That was a lingering shot of a guy's package in a speedo. wat

Hand straight to the crotch. why

Miss class president's silent stares are getting to be a running joke for me.

And a lingering shot on Sekai's bellybutton. What is this, Captain Earth?

if7UvgCLIQlDR.jpg

Tender moment, grab her bum. Genius.

So this is like Friends.
If Ross was a cheating rapist pervert.

i0I57mnPqbFeW.jpg

I didn't think I'd be reposting this so soon. Or at all.

I'm saying that having a gun scythe and gun fists and gun chucks was all well and good and cool, then suddenly Pyrrha is all "also I'm Magneto, it's my power, we all have them". Was it not enough that they all had custom weapons and Naruto chakra to power up their physical strength and durability? It just felt like it came out of nowhere. I also don't get how magic works because everyone apparently has one special power, but that one lady is just a straight up wizard with a wand and everything.

It's a lot of individually cool elements crammed together in an attempt to make the coolest thing ever, that comes off as excessive.

I don't see how the existence of a unique power marginalizes their weapons. So far their semblances have only served as an augment to their weapons/fighting style since they can't actually fight without them (except that one palm strike guy who's name I can't remember at the moment). All I know about magic is that it has to do with dust material powering their weapons. IIRC it was said in an interview that dust and its applications in regards to weapons will be explored further at some point in the future.

Quasar

Anime being able to do this for people is one of the reasons why I love it so much. To have a such a profound affect on anyone... no one can take that away from you.

Its weird. I basically never cry from watching media (I can think of one or two instances ever where that happened - Bambi didn't even get me crying as a kid), and yet anime is repeatedly able to get me crying like a schoolgirl. I don't know if they are simply more willing to be more manipulative to the extent that it hits my buttons or what.

Invaders 6
Start of an interesting arc with the space princess. Some good humor with Yurika. Tulip is of course falling for the MC. That foreshadowing at the end seems cool

Midonin

Pri Para 07

If my memory serves me correct, Red Flash is the exploding power towards a shining tomorrow. Makoto Moriwaki's sense of humor isn't quite as unrestrained as it was back in Milky Holmes, but there's still several little jokes that I like sprinkled throughout the episode. Like how Gloria in Excessive Dio uses a crutch to prop up her enormous hair, or the way the pizza shatters on Lala's dad's hand after she contrives the explanation of pudding and jalapeno pizza to avoid being removed as a citizen of the independent city-state of idoldom.

One of the signs of unanimous role is the leader making sure their face is everywhere. I don't know how much of PriPara is a virtual reality (I'm theorizin' here), but the fact that Megane can be in all places at once means it's either that or it's simply because she's an avatar from an alternate, fabulous dimension. I'll accept either explanation.

I believe the reason there even is a cult of Sofie is to protect her image, that she becomes a slacker of the highest degree without Red Flash/umeboshi. Unlike Lala, who has no change, and Mirei, who's a different person in both worlds, her change in personality is unmotivated except by hunger and extreme sour taste. Purely external factors. It make me curious what Shion and the twins have for their two personas.

Meganii is interesting, but he also doesn't have enough screentime. And unlike the Pretty Rhythm series, he's so far the only guy and potential love interest, but is more likely to be in a mentor role. No (het) romance potential in this series at all yet.

Not that I'm complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom