• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite it being Kitamura Eri, I can't really like Eclair. Time wasted on a boring character when it could be spent on more fun or entertaining ones; the Galette trio for example are great fun! Can't really be dealing with "I like you but I'm going to pretend not to [punch!]" characters.
That's Ayana Taketatsu you nerd!
Most of the stuff Sawashiro is in is bad anyway. Welcome to anime.
RWBY is American-bad though, worse than C3-bu.

I honestly don't know what to think about this, haven't watched the show.

On one hand I hate rooster teeth. On the other an american """""""anime"""""" getting licensed in Japan is kind of cool.

If you're going to watch be warned that the show is rough around the edges, which is acknowledged by Monty and they are already making improvements in the second season (consistent episode lengths, no more phantom people, better/more assets/etc). If nothing else you can enjoy it for the music/over the top fights and

bskyvc.jpg

interesting weapons.

For the full anime license experience, the Japanese release should be DVD-only with visible macroblocking and a monoaural dub track for a random episode.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. I've heard that their DVD/Blu-ray situation is worse over there.

If we don't get Sawashiro, Tomatsu, Hayami, and Sachika I will hurt someone!

The thing I find most interesting is that cultural exchange of ideas going back and forth. It's going to be interesting to see it with Japanese voice actors.

Mahouka 14

Opening: I much prefer this one then the first. It just sounds so much better.
Ending: Honestly, this might be one of my favorite ED songs ever. Definitely want to hear the full version whenever it comes

Its so nice seeing Tats having enough faith in Mayumi to spill out top secret info to her when they're alone together.

Course it won't help him avoid participating in the event, but its not like he truly hates the idea.

That's Garnidelia for ya, but really Maria is a great vocalist.

What's RWBY?

Monty Oum's (Haloid/Dead Fantasy/later seasons of Red vs Blue) dream project that he's had kicking around for a while but finally got the opportunity and resources to bring it to fruition. You can watch it on Crunchyroll/RoosterTeeth/Youtube. He's known for over the top fight scenes and choreography which is definitely present in RWBY. The show is as I mentioned above "rough around the edges". There's some jank with the non-fight animation and you can tell that they had to cut some corners with things like phantom people walking around in the backgrounds and such (fixed in season two).

After reading/listening to a bunch of interviews and commentary I think it's understandable with him having a new team and figuring a bunch of stuff out for the first time/new tools/etc. Despite that I think the show is still enjoyable to watch and I'm looking forward to whatever improvements they have in store (plus the fights of course).

Due to the variable episode length you can blaze through the first season in about 2 hours or you can just not watch it if it's not your cup of tea.

Oh really? My mistake. Kitamura Eri status - saved.

It can't be helped - I've hardly seen anything she's been cast in and looking through her job sheet her only other good role was in Tamayura.
I don't care for her much either really, it certainly doesn't help that she voiced one of the most vile creatures in anime.

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch 8

No sports festival? I feel so cheated. T__T
Well at least this episode had a lot of Miya... And yuri-bait.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 46-47
Eh, I don't really think this was called for. I never quite got into the more action-y elements they tried to add in this season, this goes right in line with that.
Even if it's good that it was all a false resolution, it's not good that a sizeable chunk of the season was dedicated to the whole "kidnap Hana-chan" plot for nothing; the episodes dealing with the subplot were among the most formulaic in the franchise, even if they had their moments. And it invited more and longer plastic shit, which is never good.

I don't think Doremi is a show that needs to deal with 'plot' very much. Even if 46 was rather well-made as an episode, I'm glad they dropped this whole thing 2 eps early to make way for a better climax. Now it's all on Yamauchi to pull it off.

Hidamari Sketch 8

No sports festival? I feel so cheated. T__T
Well at least this episode had a lot of Miya... And yuri-bait.
Not until next season since the unchronological timeline the anime uses. Good incentive to watch x365 ASAP, also because it's the greatest anime ever.

Terror in Resonance 6
Okay well this episode is creating an interesting direction for the series. The villain introduced in the last episode is now staging the Sphinx's terrorism though only to the police. Only she will actually blow it up even if there are people within the airport. So now 9 and 12 are the mice and the villain is the cat in this game. A bit redemption for the protagonists and making Shibasaki the only smart cop even more obvious

I watched half of the first episode of RBWY and then never, ever looked back. It wasn't good.

If you found it cringe-worthy I think I can understand why. The humour is something that I would describe as an acquired taste.

It's interesting how everyone's a bit different in this regard. In terms of what activates that part in your brain that causes a physical reaction. For example when watching anime I don't experience that feeling at all while some of my friends hate any anime that has voices pitching above a certain level.

I think part of it is because I've watched it for so long that I'm used to it. Another is because I think English speakers tend to process Japanese as background noise when subtitles are present. You can understand all the nuances of English because it's serving two purposes, one is presenting you with information that you yourself can break down and understand, and the other is the effect produced by the tone/volume of the voice itself which can have different connotations in the English language depending on use.

When you listen to Japanese (as someone who can't read or understand it) you can only try and process the tone, but the nuances of that will be lost on you beyond the basic ones like anger/sadness/etc. So it's easier to tolerate things that might otherwise annoy and eventually become benign towards them when you're completely focused on absorbing information from subtitles.

Clov

Yeah. Is it correct that English releases are sometimes of lesser quality to discourage Japanese buyers from importing? I feel like I've read something like that somewhere.

That has happened before, though I think those days are long past. For example, when ADV released the first two uncut Sailor Moon seasons on DVD, they were given vastly inferior masters. The video just looked terrible.

These days, there's usually not a huge difference in video quality between releases. Japanese releases just tend to look slightly better since they include fewer episodes on each disk. Most North American anime companies usually put 8-9 episodes per disk, though some put even more; Sentai's managed to fit around 12 sub-only episodes on one BD.

Typically what's used to discourage reverse importation now is a holdback period (the North American BD comes out several months to a year after the Japanese one) and locked subtitles when playing the Japanese audio.

Where did all your screentime go?

Dog Days 8 - END
It's kinda sad that the big climactic fight with the princess and hero, while impressive, was nowhere near as impressive as Yukikaze and the Dame's follow-up afterwards. If the series carried on with their stuff, it'd probably be more interesting.

That said, the show ended up being pretty enjoyable. All things considered not a lot actually happened really but it's telling that it was able to pace itself well for the 13 episode run.
It's a pretty much by your numbers run of the cast in terms of archetypes but there's some nice fun chemistry there: Eclair and Becky* aside.
Ending was an absolutely gigantic contrived mess but was perfectly pitched in sappiness tone that it was still good.

Final thoughts: Not really setting the world on fire but I enjoyed it despite.

*Childhood friend. Instant dislike. Depressed she's in the following series.
You should start S2 ASAP , it's worth it !

Most of the stuff Sawashiro is in is bad anyway. Welcome to anime.
Disagree ..i disagree withthis statement SO MUCH
To be the greatest anime you must have Yuno and a Miyukichi: which Gintama only has a minor character of in an episode I haven't gotten to yet.

Nothing another season of gintama can't fix..

To be the greatest anime you must have Yuno and a Miyukichi: which Gintama only has a minor character of in an episode I haven't gotten to yet.

Your right about that, but you forgot that Gintama's protagonist Gintoki is voiced by Sugita.Which automatically makes the anime the greatest in my book.

And the voice actors Nakai and Tachiki are sweet bonuses too.

Argevollen 7

LOL at the blatant girl orgasm scene during the spa scene

Other then that it was actually a pretty good episode, first time our male and female lead really got a chance to bond in a not super awkward way, and we get some foreshadowing of future events.

That has happened before, though I think those days are long past. For example, when ADV released the first two uncut Sailor Moon seasons on DVD, they were given vastly inferior masters. The video just looked terrible.

These days, there's usually not a huge difference in video quality between releases. Japanese releases just tend to look slightly better since they include fewer episodes on each disk. Most North American anime companies usually put 8-9 episodes per disk, though some put even more; Sentai's managed to fit around 12 sub-only episodes on one BD.

Typically what's used to discourage reverse importation now is a holdback period (the North American BD comes out several months to a year after the Japanese one) and locked subtitles when playing the Japanese audio.

That sounds like hell for anyone trying to practice Japanese. Still, having the quality gap closer is a definite improvement.

Thoraxes

Sentai has been using some BDMV50 discs though. The Henneko release is pretty clean.

The other thing that's currently used by Funi and Sentai at least is something called a region code lockout. Basically this taps into the device's parental controls settings (which hardly anyone changes) to prevent you from watching it unless you've got it set to the United States/Canada's rating systems. Workarounds are present, but it's an effective way to lock out viewing entirely (Sentai) or force watching in English (Funi). This is typically used in combination with delaying the scheduled release (though if you're Funi, you don't contact the Japanese side because you're already delayed enough because of your backlog and then you piss off Kadokawa by releasing titles the same month as them).

Japanese encoders/authors typically give the maximum amount of bitrate they can per episode because they've got a whole BD-25/BD-50 for movies to use so why not? NA encoders/authors are the opposite where they'll cram as much as possible while trying to make it look good. Some shows where it's bright (like most of Sentai's 12 sub-only/1 disc series) work alright because it's not easy to compress. Sadly, Funi's encoders absolutely suck, so no matter what happens, it'll look awful due to brightness levels changing too much. Not really about episodes on a disc so much as proper encoding/authors and the mostly lack thereof in the NA market.

AnoHana - 4

BvHEPWTCQAAm35Y.png:large

First those badass fakemon designs and now this? This show understands me.

They even threw in a "It's dangerous to go alone!" line.

Whoa, quite the
character change for Yukiatsu there. Last episode he seemed all kind and cool. Now he's pulling a stunt like this? Did I miss something? Hello?

Nafe

President Aria is a cat!

Sorry about the later response. My internet has been going the last couple weekends now for some reason. Might need to have someone take a look at it. Since I have a connection right now I'll try and respond.

Haha, yeah, I actually knew Aria was a cat. I don't if it was the Dog Days Season 3 news or what. I aplogize for the slip up.

It's interesting you point out some of the voices from the show. On one of the (I presume early) drama CDs, they went with an entirely different voice cast. Akari was voiced by Kaori Mizuhashi (who voices Ai in the anime instead!) and Alicia was voiced by Kikuko Inoue. It also had quite a different tone as well - a bit more like a standard slice of life school comedy but with boats. Well from what I could gleam from the inflection anyway. Couldn't understand the words after all!

Yeah, I suppose drama CD seiyuu casts and anime casts can be pretty commonly different right? Kikuko Inoue would be a good choice for Alicia. I personally also really like her voice. I like her as Aluminium Siren in Sailor Moon Stars for example. She's sort of the "Yamato nadeshiko" of the show I guess.

I'm not sure if it's ever covered in the anime but oddly enough I was rereading the manga last night and Akari says that she practiced on a VR simulation back on Earth but failed to take into consideration that you have to let customers see the view instead of the rower.

Oh, okay. Thanks for that information. :)

It might come up in the anime yet but I think it was Chiwa Saito's character,Aika, just mentioned that Akari accidentally first started practicing rowing backwards and was actually pretty good at it. That's all that I recall coming up and it just seemed strange,haha.

I also need to type a rebuttal to Narag but it's 3am.

Will you convert to the mofu side? Haha.

Infinite aras!

I've seen the next episode but I'll wait for any comments in case my internet goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom