• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
f81347338ca776a9b9e5exylvi.gif
A Goddess is among us
w6jl7dl0xbzo.gif
w6jl7dl0xbzo.gif
w6jl7dl0xbzo.gif

I'm still mad about
Sheele

:(

Midonin

Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny 10-12 + Final Thoughts

The sacred beads basically stopped mattering at all once the dragons were introduced in this season, but overall, while I'd still hesitate to call Ikkitousen my favorite anything, this season was much better produced. The fanservice was just as much, but it never felt as intrusive, and the leering glares of the nameless men were largely tuned down, shifting the focus of the story towards Ryuubi's growth into a leader, and, true to its title, making it all about how the three leaders deal with the dragons inside them. Ryuubi rejects, Sousou encourages and Hakufu decides to stay herself. The Shu faction is as fun to watch as they were in Koihime, and Hakufu is much better in smaller amounts. The first season was a bit of a slog and kinda messy, but I'm surprised at how much more polished this was.

Cardcaptor Sakura 05

Tomoyo is talking about editing video tapes on a VCR. That is so 90s. Yet she acknowledges the presence of digital video and copyright law. That is so resonant with today. The Jump card was a nice little challenge. The cute toy shop really was just a cute toy shop, no Jadeite-esque ulterior motives. The early episodes of any show are usually slow to get through, yet Sakura's been a smooth ride already. There's enough characters and new situations even among the main cast that the show feels much surer of what it wants to do.

Kowarekake no Orgel

I'm a fan of Keiichiro Kawaguchi's works (which means I really should start watching Jinsei soon. Damn you simulcast holdups), but of the many OVAs I've seen, I loved this one. It was very pretty to look at. The story is one that's been seen in anime a few times - including one from the creators of the above series - yet it was effectively told within 30 minutes. Flower treating his family as "gods", taking his euphemism at face value, was kinda charming, and the ending song is pretty beautiful.

Link Man

Banned
School Days 6

The fuck?
She still considers full-on hanky-panky "just practice"?

Did Kokoro steal that hairstyle from Tenma Tsukamoto?

Guys, I think the show might be sentient, and it's mocking me.

ibnbPmGoRcufv1.jpg

idLUJh29bK1Hv.jpg

Well, um, yeah, huh.

ibroByinAKCeiL.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've fucking won that's what.

Haly: 1
G-man: 0

Kieli

Can't wait for the LoGH remake.

Pretty bishounen characters. Yaoi goodness. Product placements.

It's going to be amazing.

There's a Legend of Galactic Heroes remake happening? Then I might push off the main series if it isn't too far away. Still need to watch second OVA though.

edit: nvm not a remake, will continue to plan to watch it.

Angelic Layer Ep. 23

A surprisingly good fight that was temporarily spoiled by a Toei tier animation mistake.
This was on the screen for a few good seconds.

And then Ichiro Okouchi did his very best to spoil the episode at the very end. -_- (Spoilers, I guess.)
http://i.minus.com/ibjCIJUGizHnhy.png
http://i.minus.com/ibxBij7BTBRS3X.png

I just checked and that shit was not in the manga.

Edit: Probably one of the best animated (if not best) sequences in the series thus far. (Though the animation for the most part is unremarkable.)
ielH7FrpHboM9.gif

Kiniro Mosaic 04-06

Seems like a pretty average "cute girls doing cute things" anime. Nothing has been done to elevate it above others in the genre. The use of Engrish has become diminished the further I get in which is disappointing. I don't think it will ever top the incredible Engrish in the first episode.

Just watched the FMA Brotherhood Milos movie. Felt like a long episode. Was a bit disappointed it didn't continue after the events of the series and those weren't even mentioned at all. It was alright.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Just watched the FMA Brotherhood Milos movie. Felt like a long episode. Was a bit disappointed it didn't continue after the events of the series and those weren't even mentioned at all. It was alright.

Better then the other FMA movie at any rate, then again cleaning the toliet is better then Conquerer of Shambala.

Jex

Do the Japanese prefer subs or native dubs?

I personally don't know, but I do know that lots of famous voice actors are known for their dubbing roles so I would assume they prefer native dubs. I believe that's common in most non-English speaking countries due to the number of imported Western movies etv.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you do not watch ウォレスとグルミット with the voice of ピーター・サリス you are not a true appreciator of Britainimation.

I personally don't know, but I do know that lots of famous voice actors are known for their dubbing roles so I would assume they prefer native dubs. I believe that's common in most non-English speaking countries due to the number of imported Western movies etv.

I really don't know how anyone can watch live action movies dubbed. Luckily here in Finland they dub only some kids animations.

Mr.Jeff

Yeah, I suppose drama CD seiyuu casts and anime casts can be pretty commonly different right?
Yeah it's a fairly common thing; what starts out as a Drama CD with one set of cast changes into a completely different cast when an adaptation is announced. Of course sometimes they decide to stick with that casting as well! Personally I think they ended up with a great cast for Aria. Especially Hazuki Erino for Akari despite her being a relative newcomer compared to the rest of the cast. :)

It might come up in the anime yet but I think it was Chiwa Saito's character,Aika, just mentioned that Akari accidentally first started practicing rowing backwards and was actually pretty good at it. That's all that I recall coming up and it just seemed strange,haha.
Well I'm one of those sad people that like comparing the manga and the anime and notice all the little changes they made. Not in an overly "this is superior to that" way but more as a point of interest of why they adapted certain scenes the way they did. Even if the story is largely the same, I really recommend seeing both (even if it's just for Kozue Amano's amazing artwork).

He's already been assimilated.
sGE6SHb.png

Apparently my subconscious created this for good reason.

Edit: Last post on the page. Bah.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 4:

So more and more we are learning this isn't the one to one manga adaption that we were expecting, though it isn't going off the reservation and doing its own thing like the old series did. Honestly, as trite as it is to say and for as shoujo as this version is, this is starting to turn into Sailor Moon: The Gritty Reboot. Mind you I can understand the concerns about comedy ruining a show, I mean Bleach is rife with shitty comedy that made an already sub-par show even worse but god damn it, Sailor Moon isn't supposed to be this joyless in the comedy department.
With the revelation that Jadeite is still alive and indeed the four kings show up all at once, it seems some wild cards are being thrown into the fray and I can respect this.
The animation seemed better this episode, but then again, Episode 3 is one of the worst animated things I have seen in a good long while so I suppose there was nowhere to go but up in that regard. Overall an alright episode, I never thought this one was one of the better affairs.

fertygo

Aria the Arrieta OVA
So I missed to watch this in proper order, this seem like the beginning for the last season theme.. and its very damn good, seeing Akari's anxiety.. also seeing Alicia's worry to became good mentor actually make her took time before taking junior is a bit surprising considering so far its shown she do not worry at anything at all, Ms perfect they say.. but once again the show doing its job again to make you feel to the characters without patronizing.. so good.

Look to all that useless text, I actually just want to talking about the last scene...

OMG wat are you doing satojun, you killing meeeeee... jebus, I can't..

My heart can't take it..

StayDead

I've never been a fan of dubs, but I realised there was something I hated even more after I knew my step brother for a while. He's Russian/Israeli and from when he was a kid he had a load of dual audio films on DVD and our little sister started watching some of them.

They're dual audio in Russian/English but every voice in Russian is this husky man (even for female characters) and not only can you not understand what's being said in English, my step brother said you can barely understand the Russian either because they play the audio at the same time, at the same volume so it just sounds like a mess.

phaze

I've never been a fan of dubs, but I realised there was something I hated even more after I knew my step brother for a while. He's Russian/Israeli and from when he was a kid he had a load of dual audio films on DVD and our little sister started watching some of them.

They're dual audio in Russian/English but every voice in Russian is this husky man (even for female characters) and not only can you not understand what's being said in English, my step brother said you can barely understand the Russian either because they play the audio at the same time, at the same volume so it just sounds like a mess.

So lector ? Think those were/are pretty common in Eastern Europe. I've had to suffer that with my every childhood anime. I remember one instance where they even had him say (not sing) the OP. Never bothered me at the the time but looking back it was pretty atrocious. (Though I never had problem with understanding the lector.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While I'm a fan of seeing things in their original language, I support shows for children being dubbed in the native language. Of course if the show isn't for children I'll often see a dub as a waste of time and money.

Of course Japan doesn't suffer from the same problem we have in the West. For them voiceover work isn't demeaning work whereas for English speaking countries we tend to have to hear the voices of the same six people they found in the States willing to do the job.

cajunator

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika 1-3

Pretty interesting show so far. Chaika herself is great, love the way she speaks and her little cute moments. Good action and I am liking the story so far.

tumblr_n7drkiDIx41so56pco1_500.gif

Her wording is the most adorable thing. It is one of Bones best efforts in recent years for sure. But maybe thats because it had a interesting source.

Most of the stuff Sawashiro is in is bad anyway. Welcome to anime.

Whaaaa? I cannot agree with this.

Sentai has been using some BDMV50 discs though. The Henneko release is pretty clean.

Yeah its just about spotless, which Penguindrum is definitely NOT.
Sentai is all over the place.

AnoHana - 4

They even threw in a "It's dangerous to go alone!" line.

Whoa, quite the
character change for Yukiatsu there. Last episode he seemed all kind and cool. Now he's pulling a stunt like this? Did I miss something? Hello?

Yuki has attachment issues. Severe ones.

I found it interesting in the most recent episode how even in an all CG series, CG mecha still manage to stand out and look bad.

http://a.pomf.se/rvctsh.webm

Good lord that is horrible.

I noticed that Amazon has some (new?) screens for the Sailor Moon Blu-ray set.

I certainly hope that is due to the image being compressed.

Im not sure, but it cannot possibly be worse than those ADV sets in quality.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
While I'm a fan of seeing things in their original language, I support shows for children being dubbed in the native language. Of course if the show isn't for children I'll often see a dub as a waste of time and money.
But all anime is for children.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But all anime is for children.
Oh ho ho, but I'm talking about all shows here. While in the UK we're lucky that shows like The Killing are subtitled, the US' allergies to all things not dubbed has meant the whole show has been re-voiced by Conan O'Brien. Sad but true.

cajunator

Banned
it's probably an upscale like every other toei film-show BD released in japan.

Likely, but they didnt exactly have another source or HD in mind when it was released.

School Days 5

Opening with breasts and bums. Classy.

Embarassed by her large breasts. Wears a string bikini.

We've reached critical mass, and the OP hasn't even started.

A flashback within a flashback? Why did they start at the pool if they were going to rewind after the OP?

This love triangle is turning into a spiderweb.

That was a lingering shot of a guy's package in a speedo. wat

Hand straight to the crotch. why

Miss class president's silent stares are getting to be a running joke for me.

And a lingering shot on Sekai's bellybutton. What is this, Captain Earth?

if7UvgCLIQlDR.jpg

Tender moment, grab her bum. Genius.

So this is like Friends.
If Ross was a cheating rapist pervert.

i0I57mnPqbFeW.jpg

I didn't think I'd be reposting this so soon. Or at all.

School Days 6

The fuck?
She still considers full-on hanky-panky "just practice"?

Guys, I think the show might be sentient, and it's mocking me.

ibnbPmGoRcufv1.jpg

idLUJh29bK1Hv.jpg

Well, um, yeah, huh.

ibroByinAKCeiL.gif

The pain continues. Makoto really is the anti-harem protag in that he has a definite spine, but is completely made of slime.

Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny 10-12 + Final Thoughts

The sacred beads basically stopped mattering at all once the dragons were introduced in this season, but overall, while I'd still hesitate to call Ikkitousen my favorite anything, this season was much better produced. The fanservice was just as much, but it never felt as intrusive, and the leering glares of the nameless men were largely tuned down, shifting the focus of the story towards Ryuubi's growth into a leader, and, true to its title, making it all about how the three leaders deal with the dragons inside them. Ryuubi rejects, Sousou encourages and Hakufu decides to stay herself. The Shu faction is as fun to watch as they were in Koihime, and Hakufu is much better in smaller amounts. The first season was a bit of a slog and kinda messy, but I'm surprised at how much more polished this was.

Cardcaptor Sakura 05

Tomoyo is talking about editing video tapes on a VCR. That is so 90s. Yet she acknowledges the presence of digital video and copyright law. That is so resonant with today. The Jump card was a nice little challenge. The cute toy shop really was just a cute toy shop, no Jadeite-esque ulterior motives. The early episodes of any show are usually slow to get through, yet Sakura's been a smooth ride already. There's enough characters and new situations even among the main cast that the show feels much surer of what it wants to do.

Kowarekake no Orgel

I'm a fan of Keiichiro Kawaguchi's works (which means I really should start watching Jinsei soon. Damn you simulcast holdups), but of the many OVAs I've seen, I loved this one. It was very pretty to look at. The story is one that's been seen in anime a few times - including one from the creators of the above series - yet it was effectively told within 30 minutes. Flower treating his family as "gods", taking his euphemism at face value, was kinda charming, and the ending song is pretty beautiful.

Whoa. you were indulging in some heavy duty adorableness. Best be careful!

Angelic Layer Ep. 23

A surprisingly good fight that was temporarily spoiled by a Toei tier animation mistake.

This was on the screen for a few good seconds.

And then Ichiro Okouchi did his very best to spoil the episode at the very end. -_- (Spoilers, I guess.)
http://i.minus.com/ibjCIJUGizHnhy.png
http://i.minus.com/ibxBij7BTBRS3X.png

I just checked and that shit was not in the manga.

Edit: Probably one of the best animated (if not best) sequences in the series thus far. (Though the animation for the most part is unremarkable.)
ielH7FrpHboM9.gif

The endgame is near. Im glad you are at least sticking with it.

Always glad when a Ritsu with her hair down pops up

BEST GIRL. Hair down Ritsu is out of this world.

School Days 6

She's mini-Tenma.

Look where all that swag got him in the end. He just had to think with his dick.

If you look up his family tree it's not that strange though :p

I really don't know how anyone can watch live action movies dubbed. Luckily here in Finland they dub only some kids animations.

Same here in Norway. They do dub some live action stuff on Disney channel and such though.

NeonZ

Ranma 1/2

The Urusei Yatsura background cameos that start to pop up in the second season and seem to continue into the third just make me wish there were more actual Urusei Yatsura episodes...

It's kind of odd, since it seems like Ranma's anime team otherwise isn't fond of background cameos and references, unlike Urusei Yatsura's.

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 04

Until only recently, I wasn't even aware that a new tiara was a potential sort of powerup. One of the first rules of media looks to apply. If you don't see the body, they're probably not dead, which means Jadeite remains alive to throw planes at people another day. Having the princess look like Umino instead of Naru, and having the episode not lead into a weird romance tangent, does give the feeling that this series is starting to carve out its own identity, even from the manga. Koshimizu only had one line as Makoto, but it sounds like she's a nice fit for the role. With Shizuka Itou, Koshimizu and Ueda in this show, that's more overlap between this and Prisma Illya than I was expecting.

Magimoji Rurumo 06

Why are you doing this to me, show? They were cute kitties. That was heavier than I expected to start this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom