• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I see the lack of a dub as a bonus.

One, because I don't listen to them ever, and two, because I don't need them, it makes the releases cheaper by not including them.

Not having them is a win-win situation for me.

Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 4:

So more and more we are learning this isn't the one to one manga adaption that we were expecting, though it isn't going off the reservation and doing its own thing like the old series did. Honestly, as trite as it is to say and for as shoujo as this version is, this is starting to turn into Sailor Moon: The Gritty Reboot. Mind you I can understand the concerns about comedy ruining a show, I mean Bleach is rife with shitty comedy that made an already sub-par show even worse but god damn it, Sailor Moon isn't supposed to be this joyless in the comedy department.
With the revelation that Jadeite is still alive and indeed the four kings show up all at once, it seems some wild cards are being thrown into the fray and I can respect this.
The animation seemed better this episode, but then again, Episode 3 is one of the worst animated things I have seen in a good long while so I suppose there was nowhere to go but up in that regard. Overall an alright episode, I never thought this one was one of the better affairs.

Sailor Moon being gritty isn't really a surprise though.

Mr.Jeff

Dog Days' 01-02
Ehhhh, I figured it was going to happen but could have done without the childhood friend and cousin tagging along. I guess there'd be little story without it though.
That said though, Becky's transformation sequence has to be the lewdest thing I've seen in a long while. I mean, I appreciate there's a lot of service shots in general for the show but tentacles in a magical girl type transformation? I could have done without that.

Budget certainly looks like it's gone up though.

Edit: Also the new princess' voice really grates on me. Like cheesewire through my ears.

PK Gaming

While I'm a fan of seeing things in their original language, I support shows for children being dubbed in the native language. Of course if the show isn't for children I'll often see a dub as a waste of time and money.

Of course Japan doesn't suffer from the same problem we have in the West. For them voiceover work isn't demeaning work whereas for English speaking countries we tend to have to hear the voices of the same six people they found in the States willing to do the job.

If you don't like dubs or think they're necessary, that's cool, but it's *so easy* to not be condescending about it.

Nobody was expecting this much grit though as they are actively trimming the comedy.

That's simply being naive over what Sailor Moon was. I was already well aware of what I was expecting. The grit.

We didn't say Madoka was influenced by Sailor Moon for nothing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Arrieta OVA
So I missed to watch this in proper order, this seem like the beginning for the last season theme.. and its very damn good, seeing Akari's anxiety.. also seeing Alicia's worry to became good mentor actually make her took time before taking junior is a bit surprising considering so far its shown she do not worry at anything at all, Ms perfect they say.. but once again the show doing its job again to make you feel to the characters without patronizing.. so good.

Look to all that useless text, I actually just want to talking about the last scene...

OMG wat are you doing satojun, you killing meeeeee... jebus, I can't..

My heart can't take it..
The ending of the series is going to be something special for you. lol

Necrovex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 55

A new season begins! Good new opening and a good ending song. The post-war season should be an interesting one. Julian seems to have found a possible waifu, but it'll take some major skills on his part to succeed onto that front. But forget that, Earth awaits us!

Firemind

I see the lack of a dub as a bonus.

One, because I don't listen to them ever, and two, because I don't need them, it makes the releases cheaper by not including them.

Not having them is a win-win situation for me.

Hi5 bear!

I rage so hard when UK/EU DVDs have 5.1 English but 2.0 Japanese. Like, what the fuck is wrong with you people? Ghibli productions are especially notorious.

Midonin

Marimite ~Printemps~ 01-03

That's the most peaceful ALI PROJECT opening I've ever heard. By adding some lyrics and some new visuals, "pastel pure" got a lot better as a song. Looking at the dates this aired on, Marimite looks like an early example of a split cour show. An effect that's still being used today. The show looks more or less the same as it did back in season one, so I'm not sure if any improvements I've noticed are things I'm forcing myself to see or the natural result of the animators getting more used to things.

The New Years' party at Sachiko's place was a good way to reintroduce the entire cast. The nature of episodes two and three - both based on comedic misunderstandings - give the start of this season a more lightly comedic tone than the previous one. Eri has odd taste in men, and an even odder family. I couldn't get over that one of her brothers was standing there in the middle of the school office dressed in a full football uniform, shoulder pads and everything. You'd think that would get uncomfortable after a few minutes.

The graduation/Yumi's Hidden Talent episode was also fun. Any graduation episode is going to have some sentimentality in it, whether it directly involves the main cast or not. Sei pulling everyone's chain is making her one of my favorites, right up there with Yoshino. The tone is overall very similar to the first season so far, so most of my praises and complaints still hold over. The graduation of the Lady Roses does signal the start of change in the status quo. Curious to see how that goes.

Clov

Hi5 bear!

I rage so hard when UK/EU DVDs have 5.1 English but 2.0 Japanese. Like, what the fuck is wrong with you people? Ghibli productions are especially notorious.

For TV productions at least, the Japanese audio is usually mastered in 2.0. There's no excuse not to be using Japanese 5.1 for theatrical releases though.

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 55

A new season begins! Good new opening and a good ending song. The post-war season should be an interesting one. Julian seems to have found a possible waifu, but it'll take some major skills on his part to succeed onto that front. But forget that, Earth awaits us!

Yang isn't exactly the worlds finest lady killer but he still manages to attract female interest. Anything is possible! Still, Legend of the Galactic Heroes isn't exactly well known for it's realistic portrayal of romance. The best look at the subject is actually in the prequel movie, Overture to a New War, which examines the whole Yang/Jessica/Jean love triangle in far greater detail.

Necrovex

Yang isn't exactly the worlds finest lady killer but he still manages to attract female interest. Anything is possible! Still, Legend of the Galactic Heroes isn't exactly well known for it's realistic portrayal of romance. The best look at the subject is actually in the prequel movie, Overture to a New War, which examines the whole Yang/Jessica/Jean love triangle in far greater detail.

Overture to a New War was the breaking point of me committing to LOGH. I read the first two episodes were sloppy, and I should replace it with this expanded version of it. I am certainly glad I did, since it greatly influenced the impact of Astate.

Jex

[Terror in Tokyo] - 6

More standard genre fair but this time with added engrish. I feel like there are a number of ways to make this kind of story more enjoyable because, at the moment, I don't really care about anything that's going on and I'm just watching because it's technically proficient. This show could use:

- Some humour. Not that it needs to become a comedy, but when the tone of a work is this uniformly dour the audience grows used to it and it becomes less effective. If you lighten the mood and then make it more dramatic the audience will the dramatic tension more keenly because there'd be some actual context.

- Characters that you care about. Audiences will forgive any number of narrative sins if they care about the characters because then they're in for the ride. This show chose to obscure the characters back-stories and leave them as largely faceless terrorists, a poor choice considering we can't care about their mission when we don't know what it is. We're very much in the position of Lisa, confused about what these characters are actually up to.

- More clarity in general. Who are the good guys? Who are the bad guys? What does everyone want? What are the stakes? Why should we care?

Basically, this series really needed a better script.

Midonin

SAO II 07

I'll admit the writing is amateurish and the emotions are often melodramatic, but in terms of the hyped/ironic watching shows, I'll always prefer SAO because its characters at least have emotions. Emotions that form motivations for things. That's the baseline most stories need, and it feels weird to award a point for that, but one must always be reevaluating. Kirito's decision to not tell anybody about what's going on is a little weird, and I think he has personal reasons for it, but while everyone in ALO is having a merry old time (a poisonous merry old time) he's playing the somewhat ineffective role of secret agent.

Meanwhile, Togoro Kirigamine just sneezed and wondered what this story has to do with him. (I am glad to see Suguha again. She can be a pretty alright character now that she's over her love troubles.)

Jex

[SAO II] - 7

We can't possibly begin the tournament this episode, so everyone needs to talk about their feelings for 20 minutes.

Avoid.

mankoto

Majimoji Rurumo 6
Well that's a way to start the morning... I went through something similar when I was a kid. Although it was with hamsters and not kittens.

Go ahead, there's no need to search elsewhere.

This is the general anime thread so ask away!

Thanks! I would like to ask for animes that would make me laugh, a lot. I don't mind fanservice, and last ones that I watched were Nichijou and Hataraku Maou-sama!, both recommended by my friends. I loved Nichijou to death, and laughed a lot watching it. If there is anything that you guys/gals could suggest, I would love to hear
(read)
it.

I also like dramas, like Clannad (goddammit, I get sad only thinking about that), but right now I need some comedies because of some things that are happening with me.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I would like to ask for animes that would make me laugh, a lot. I don't mind fanservice, and last ones that I watched were Nichijou and Hataraku Maou-sama!, both recommended by my friends. I loved Nichijou to death, and laughed a lot watching it. If there is anything that you guys/gals could suggest, I would love to hear
(read)
it.
Gintama
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Minami-ke
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Cromartie High School
Working!!
Humanity Has Declined

Probably a bunch I'm forgetting but I like all of these a lot.

Gintama
Minami-ke
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Cromartie High School
Working!!
Humanity Has Declined

Too add to this list there's ...

Detroit Metal City
Inferno Cop

.... that about covers my experience with comedy anime!

Gintama
Minami-ke
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Cromartie High School
Working!!
Humanity Has Declined

Too add to this list there's ...

Detroit Metal City
Inferno Cop

.... that about covers my experience with comedy anime!

Thanks! Will try to watch them.

EDIT:
Pani Poni Dash
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
Macademi Wasshoi
more that I'm forgetting

I can attest to the awesomeness of Inferno Cop.

Thanks too!

Aldnoah Zero 07

Martian removing squad is here
And poor Slaine
And can staff stop giving Marito screen time until he finally not useless lol?
kAnXRVY.jpg

Aldnoah.Zero 7

Wow this is utter bullshit :mad:

How dare you betray Slaine you fucking piece of shit, Slaine is love. Slaine is life. Also his waifu still doesn't know he's alive. This is bullshit. I was waiting for husbando and waifu to meet. This is crap

Dandere fuck onii-sama wanna be can go get stabbed to death for all I care now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aldnoah.Zero Episode 7

I can't take the overbearing blandness of this show anymore, I just don't care about anyone or anything and I have given it more then its fair shot to win me over. Unlike Terror in Resonance in which I have found things I enjoy, I find only a waste of a half hour with this show, dropped like a dumb rocket punch. Alos, unlike others I never gave a shit about Discount Sazaku.

(read)
it.

I also like dramas, like Clannad (goddammit, I get sad only thinking about that), but right now I need some comedies because of some things that are happening with me.

Thanks in advance!

Gintama (Best anime comedy)
D-Frag
Barakamon (makes you feel good and has good comedy)
Nozaki-kun (makes fun of Shoujo genre)

Defuser

Aldnoah.Zero ep 7
Wtf Inaho, what are you doing, why Slaine keeps getting shitted on. It's like Batman Inaho is written by Frank Miller.

santeesioux

[SAO II] - 7

We can't possibly begin the tournament this episode, so everyone needs to talk about their feelings for 20 minutes.

Avoid.

I gave it the ol' college try, but i had to drop this show. May watch the tournament episode just for fun next week though.

Sailor Moon Crystal 04

Can't really find any faults in the animation this time. In fact, it looked quite beautiful throughout the episode. The ballroom dance was actually animated!

No sailor reveal this episode but we do get a brief glimpse of Sailor Jupiter at the end.

If you have time write impressions on the comedies you've been recommended. I would like to know if you enjoyed it or not.

I will, it might take a while to watch them all but I'll write as it goes and then I'll post here. Gintama is over 200 episodes, right? That'll take a while, the rest I can manage more easily.

Inaho doesn't like sharing. There can only be one main character!

that sleazy fuck needs to die and give Slaine the spotlight. He's like a kid who can't share his toys. Also doesn't want to let the other boy meet his waifu in an emotional scene.

SAO2 episode 7

This show.

This show is why I live everyday.

Don't get me wrong, I skipped 50% of the episode. But that's because of today's episode topic.

In this episode of Kirito-kun and his harem, Kirito-kun has a bunch of women in his harem talk about him and think about him and simply cannot get him out of his mind. You see in this show, the world revolves around this fucker. If you have a vagina, regardless of age mind you, your vaginas will sync up on the Kirito-kun wifi signal regardless of distance.

Asuna is all supporting girlfriend, but any fucking personality she used to have is now gone and she's a shell of what she used to be of a doting fucking girlfriend who does nothing but speak in that puppy-tone and have rosy cheeks and smile and be supportive of you regardless of what you do. Holy shit Japan just come out and say you like women to not have any personality.

Kirito's sister what's-her-face goes on to tell us how she could feel in her freaking gut that Kirito's penis was nowhere near her in that really shitty elf game, so even though she never checks her friends list, her vagina told her she should check it once Kirito wasn't around becuase the vagina wifi connection wasn't strong enough to Kirito. And then she lays and hugs him like she wants the D all throughout the conversation.

Shinon has a whole day to have to herself before the tournament, and she spends it next to her male Asuna complaining about Kirito-kun. He's a jerk, he pretended to be girl to abuse me, a sexual harasser, a bla bla bla. What a shitty transformation into a tsundere. The only joy I got from this is seeing the guy's face twice throughout the episode when he realizes that Shinon is thirsty for Kirito water, and can only think of him, so his destroyed face to realize she's part of the harem was 2good.

Then of course there's the hot nurse who makes it clear too that she is part of his harem, Oooooh Kirito-kun tell me about your problems, which I can't help with but hear let me lay your head on my sexy body as I whisper what you want to hear you big man you.

Afterwards everybody is playing games, but HEY! Stop playing games, didn't you know? Kirito-kun is our religion, everybody stop what you're fucking doing we're gonna go watch our lord and savior play instead of doing that ourselves because we can't live without him.

I don't even need to mention the hilarious scene where Shinon makes the finger gun, and everybody reacts like "HOLY SHIT COWGIRL WAIT UP, WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT?!" Or the writer insisting that this incident that has never been mentioned before until last episode is Kirito's worst moment and he fears it, even though he showed no sign of this throughout elf game last show. What the fuck writers did you just CN Star Wars Clone Wars me? I burst out laughing.

this episode would be 5/10, but with the scene of Shinon doing the finger gun and the drama that ensued it goes to a 11/10.

I will, it might take a while to watch them all but I'll write as it goes and then I'll post here. Gintama is over 200 episodes, right? That'll take a while, the rest I can manage more easily.

Oh yeah for Gintama give it like 20 to 30 episodes since it's introducing most of the characters. Once then, it starts hitting it's stride and you'll be engulfed in amazing comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom