• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
Knights of Sidonia ended up being awesome (I accidentally bumped a thread that was like a month old oops). Sure the FPS and animation is a little rough in the first stretch but by the end they have all the kinks ironed out, and it is awesome. It reminded me of BSG season 1 for the incredibly tight pacing and always keeping me wanting to watch what happens next.

Quasar

I loved the change of focus of those 2 books , by separating the POV , the author was able to tell more and better. BY focusing on akatsuki , the writter was not only able to make her grow as a character , but he also managed to give insight on many other side characters as a result ( since it's another POV that shiroe will most likely never see ) Akatsuki
problem was something shiroe has already clear ages ago so it wouldn't make sense to put the characters together
. More importantly Book 6 was the first part of the intrigue about
the kunie and it would have been hard to trully sell shiroe motivation if it wasn't shown that they indeed have secrets

Overall , those 2 books are excellent because what the author tried not only worked but was necessary for the rest of the awesome.
I mean don't tell me you aren't hyped for book 8 that will be released in september ? i sure am.

It was interesting. As for 8, someone told me it was a low levels book, which kind of limits my enthusiasm. But hey, maybe with all these it might mean I get my Maryele/Henrietta book.

I will say I specially liked seeing Shiroes death. It was good seeing a pc death first hand given its ickiness as well as seeing what it added to Shiroe by seeing his past. Will be interesting to see that animated

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
KQFLxfX.jpg

dumbfounded_anime_stare.png

Jintor

i can't believe mario brothers is a side scrolling platformer, where's my deep and involved myth arc, this is bullshit, 2/10 and i'm being generous

It was interesting. As for 8, someone told me it was a low levels book, which kind of limits my enthusiasm. But hey, maybe with all these it might mean I get my Maryele/Henrietta book.

I will say I specially liked seeing Shiroes death. It was good seeing a pc death first hand given its ickiness as well as seeing what it added to Shiroe by seeing his past. Will be interesting to see that animated

SPOILERS
They need to nail the meeting of shiroe and akatsuki on the moon, this scene is going to set everyone on fire if they do it right.I mean the emotionnal impact this had on their characters is huge. earthquake level.

As for book 8 , get ready for more nureha and another focus on the rest of the log horizon members.

Someone on twitter is very upset that I dont like SAO.
What the fuck is it with this show? I seriously dont get it. Like I honestly dont understand what of ANY value anyone sees in it unless they have like a 15 year old view of romanc-

Ohhhh.
Ok.
cajun man, you need to be more open-minded. People have different qualities that they value in media, and it's important to be respectful of their preferences. Just because someone holds a particular stance that you might consider somewhat misguided or immature, it doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to take the intellectual high ground and condemn them fo--

DHg028z.png

yeah fuck that shitty show and fuck all the shiteaters who like it

Quasar

SPOILERS
They need to nail the meeting of shiroe and akatsuki on the moon, this scene is going to set everyone on fire if they do it right.I mean the emotionnal impact this had on their characters is huge. earthquake level.

As for book 8 , get ready for more nureha and another focus on the rest of the log horizon members.

Yeah. I spoiled myself there accidently looking at the log horizon wiki.

CorvoSol

Which would be released first? FFXV or Kizumonogatari or The Last Guardian?

This a trick question, right? Ain't none of these actually real things.

I feel like that's pretty well justified actually. At the end of the first arc Kayaba Akihiko and Kirito have this pivotal dialog where Kirito (and the audience) gets to empathize with Kayaba's, seemingly despicable, decision to create this SAO world: he forgot why he did all this.

How can you not look up to him after that?

And the second villain was pure evil, so it's totally fine to go full sadist!

You're right. It was silly of me to forget that a mass murderer offering no explanation or motive for his violent, cruel, and unusual crime is worthy of praise.

Urobuchi has a much smaller body of work and some pretty bad stuff too but I dont see nearly the criticism for his version of despair.

I think Urobuchi gets a lot of good will due to Madoka and Fate/Zero both being really good. Of course, people haven't been afraid to mock him for his more recent stuff, and Psycho Pass is pretty derided around these parts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i can't believe mario brothers is a side scrolling platformer, where's my deep and involved myth arc, this is bullshit, 2/10 and i'm being generous

If GAF had their way Mario Bros would have a story. It would start with a one hour cutscene explaining why the blocks float.

JoeFu

Banned
Hanamonogatari

Yeah, this is fucking awesome.. I can't decide which one that I like more from Season 2, this or Koi.

I love how very friendly to digest the theme for this story is, might be the lightest theme from what I saw from Monogatari, you can easily relate with the theme and story, and yet despite the light theme its very engaging and adding some angle that you not expect and its awesome.

The dialogue is effing great, touching issue like prying into others problem and such.. its resonant with me greatly although unlike Rouka I dislike people telling their problem to me, but I always become their target to tell..
Damn its totally get me when Rouka talking about statistic about people have tendency liking sharing their problem to disable person fuck.

Btw Characters is fantastic as always, Numachi Rouka is fantastic nemesis characters..
Araragi and
Kaiki makes brilliant cameo
although as always araragi can disgust you fast >_>
but goddamn both looks fabulous in their new look.

And as basketball fan I appreciate those one-on-one, better animation than Kuroko's anime btw, and its ended with such a badass
poster dunk
Blake Griffin ain't shit.. dayum.

Nice write up. I really really liked Hanamonogatari too. Can't wait for more people to watch it so there's more discussion about it. The first basketball scene had me laughing. Numachi's skyhook LOL. Thought the animation was a little rough, but I really liked when Kanbaru did the awesome spin move. I thought it was better than Kuroko's though haha.

I didn't like Kanbaru that much for some reason, but Hana made me love her haha. She was really great throughout the whole thing and was super adorable.

Man I need more monogatari.

Hanamonogatari

So i guess the cat is out
that kaiki survived. I mean seriously , it was a story told by kaiki, of course it was bogus !!! and filled with lies left and right !

Anyway, hanamonogatari was great , they did all they could to make the dialog intresting and it worked ..Congrats shaft .

As for the story itself , there are like , lot of holes left to fullfill ..The star of the show this time was obviously kanbaru and she was great , she really grew as a character , like she should have in S2 , like the others but it works now

Hanamonogatari.jpg

How dare you make her cry !

Anyway , The ending ... kudos to shaft to make those animations during the credits. It really helps to sell the ending.

BluWacky

I think Urobuchi gets a lot of good will due to Madoka and Fate/Zero both being really good. Of course, people haven't been afraid to mock him for his more recent stuff, and Psycho Pass is pretty derided around these parts.

It's also that his other stuff just isn't that well known. I suspect there's less than five people in this thread who've seen Blassreiter, for instance, and although Phantom is probably a bit more popular I'm sure most people aren't really aware he wrote it.

Jarmel

Banned

Looks fine. I can see Takemoto's direction compared to that in the manga. I do think Takemoto 'gets' the mood of the work but I'm not sure how well that will transfer over. I also think the art direction in the 'comedy' sections could be a bit sharper mainly in the lighting area.

Not sure how I feel about the song. Doesn't work at all in the PV but it'll probably be better as the OP. Wish they had gone for something slower.

PV is also pretty bad. It's like KyoAni is on the same level as other studios now and can only put random parts of the first episode together because anything else is unfinished.

They already showed the first episode awhile back so chances are high that they do have more material than this. Problem is that the 2nd and 3rd episode are going to be relatively slow paced so makes that they would only show 1st episode stuff.

It's also that his other stuff just isn't that well known. I suspect there's less than five people in this thread who've seen Blassreiter, for instance, and although Phantom is probably a bit more popular I'm sure most people aren't really aware he wrote it.

I'm sure very few people here have read Saya no Uta for example.

BluWacky

THE IKUHARA COUNTDOWN IS A DAILY ONE NOT WEEKLY
IT FINISHES ON SUNDAY
THAT IS ALL

(also they've corrected the spelling of "countdown", slightly sadly)

Ano Hana - 11 END

All right. I'm gonna be honest.

I actually kind of liked this in the end. I did. I didn't cry, but I DID get choked up.

But even so, this show has its fair share of problems. Its most prominent one being the pacing. Right from the start the show establishes that it's the story of how a group of teens move on from their friend's death when said friend's spirit appears to one of them to which she asks for her wish to be granted. But the show spends a lot of time early on not focusing on that a lot. And that really boggles my mind. It's only 11 episodes! Branduil put it best. "A 3 episode OVA that got 11 episodes" as I recall. And it shows.

The little plot development in each episode is padded out with your everyday boring teenage drama, really making this show a chore to sit through at times. And I NEVER thought I'd say that for an 11 episode series.

But when the show finally gets the plot going at episode 8 and onwards, that's when the show starts to show how good its premise can be. I'd say it does those parts really well. I can easily see why this show resonated with a lot of people and why some people around here really like it. I especially like the last twist where it's revealed that
Menma wasn't able to rest in peace because the group was only thinking of their feelings at the time and not Menma.

But like I said, my enjoyment of this is hampered by the fact that it's just too long and padded out. I know that there's a movie adaptation, which I've heard fixes the pacing problem. So if you want to check this out, go with the movie I guess.

All right, now that this show's out of the way I need a comedy. Hmm, now that this "Working!" show is getting a 3rd season maybe I should check that one out.

Ano Hana - 11 END

All right. I'm gonna be honest.

I actually kind of liked this in the end. I did. I didn't cry, but I DID get choked up.

But even so, this show has its fair share of problems. Its most prominent one being the pacing. Right from the start the show establishes that it's the story of how a group of teens move on from their friend's death when said friend's spirit appears to one of them to which she asks for her wish to be granted. But the show spends a lot of time early on not focusing on that a lot. And that really boggles my mind. It's only 11 episodes! Branduil put it best. "A 3 episode OVA that got 11 episodes" as I recall. And it shows.

The little plot development in each episode is padded out with your everyday boring teenage drama, really making this show a chore to sit through at times. And I NEVER thought I'd say that for an 11 episode series.

But when the show finally gets the plot going at episode 8 and onwards, that's when the show starts to show how good its premise can be. I'd say it does those parts really well. I can easily see why this show resonated with a lot of people and why some people around here really like it. I especially like the last twist where it's revealed that
Menma wasn't able to rest in peace because the group was only thinking of their feelings at the time and not Menma.

But like I said, my enjoyment of this is hampered by the fact that it's just too long and padded out. I know that there's a movie adaptation, which I've heard fixes the pacing problem. So if you want to check this out, go with the movie I guess.

All right, now that this show's out of the way I need a comedy. Hmm, now that this "Working!" show is getting a 3rd season maybe I should check that one out.

Yeah, Anohana was good but it only got great after episode 8 and on. I do admit I got teary towards the end though. That stupid ending song gets to me every time, especially in combination with everyone crying and stuff.

The movie really doesnt add much, other than being a summary and sorta epilogue. It was alright.

Working! is pretty cool too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ano Hana - 11 END

This is why the movie is just a much better version of the story. Okada doesn't have the extra two hours to fuck it up.

Also,
Kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume
Ookina kibou wasurenai
Juu nen go no hachigatsu
Mata deaeru no wo shinjite
Saikou no omoide wo...

Jarmel

Banned
They're not going to adapt Key because it's much more profitable for KyoAni to adapt their own published LNs. They're only doing Amagi because Takemoto is best buds with Gatoh.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last Kadokawa-related series we see from KyoAni for a good long while.

cajunator

Banned
All this Okada talk reminds me that madp never finished telling us what kind of show Selector Infected WIXOSS truly is.

I'm sure he will get back to that in due time.

You have no soul , she is not the best girl , but she certainly isn't the worst.

Same here , i'm tired of this. it's very obvious who is watching it in the predetermined mindset of talking shit about it.

It's a good show with a high amount of despair.
And tears

No.that sub plot is mostly over now

I dont talk shit about very many shows but SAO is particularly deserving sorry. I detest self-insertion fantasy shows to begin with, but most of them have some sort of redeeming thing. SAO just insulted every sensibility I can think of. Like I said Im very lenient with most shows but SAO just craps on itself over and over again. That said, I am enjoying S2 somewhat with Shinon.

Hitsugi no Chaika 1-2

The way Chaika talks is magnificent.

Hell yeah it is! Certain things in that show need resolution and I cant wait to find out how it goes.

Well if you're trying to understand why someone likes something that you don't like then insulting them probably isn't best way to start. But you said you were berated on Twitter so your anger is understandable.

I have a few reasons why I like SAO. One is because of the potential in its setting, being trapped in a virtual reality MMO is something I've only seen once before in .HACK//SIGN so seeing another anime with decent production values using the same setting is interesting to me. When I watched .HACK//SIGN I had plenty of thoughts and day dreams about how fun it would be to play an actual virtual reality game and I experienced the same at certain points in SAO. The show didn't make use of the setting as much as I expected but there were some things to enjoy.

Second would be the fight scenes. I really like watching well animated fight scenes with interesting choreography and SAO had a decent number of these. I would have liked to see more of these but it seems that their production budget didn't allow for more.

I think the story was going in an ok direction until after episode
13 where Asuna got demoted to damsel status. I think it would have been more interesting if the positions were switched, since that seems to be a rarity for a male character to be in need of rescuing. Or that idea could have been scrapped altogether but since the anime is an adaption I guess there was no chance of that happening to start. There are more issues that I don't think made any interesting contributions to the story like having 4 girls vying for Kirito's attention and love. After the last episode I've seen of season 2 I'm assuming that Sinon is going to be the 5th which is disappointing because I don't see any particular reason why that makes for an interesting development when there are already 4 girls after Kirito.

I could go into more issues but it's not really necessary. I think the point I want to make is that we all like things that contain flaws. Some people are more forgiving than others because they see some value that they enjoy that makes dealing with those flaws worth it. Everyone does this without exception. In the same way you don't understand why people like SAO, there are others that have no idea how you could enjoy certain things that they dislike.

Also this is more directed to a post I read in passing but I don't think that popularity should be taken as meaning that a game or show has few flaws or is of high quality (whatever that means in your view) but more that the people watching it see some value in it despite what flaws or issues it has.

Its very clearly popular self insertion fantasy for a younger crowd of viewers that fuels its popularity. That much is obvious. There are many stories like that and I tolerate most of them. but SAO is just stupid on an entirely different level from most shows.
Sorry Im not inclined to like it or give it any credit when so many other shows play on similar tropes and ideas and do a better job. Plus Log horizon exists.

Sailor Moon 1

Before going anywhere with this, I'm aware that some of what I describe is going to relate to a number of other genres of fiction. But the comparison I'm drawing is in large part for my own benefit.

Anyway, there's a great deal of similarity to this and the set up to the average episode of Getter Robo G or Great Mazinger.

Queen Beryl is seated on her throne in an unnamed realm of evil, where she states her need for an unspecified but presumably large amount of energy to complete her evil scheme for the sake of a greater evil power. Sound familiar? That's because Emperors Gore and Burai were obsessed with getting their hands on Getter Rays for (in Gore's sake) a greater power.

In order to wrest this energy from humanity, One of Beryl's chief followers volunteers. Much like General Hidler would in Getter Go. Jadeite isn't going to sully his hands, though. Rather, he goes to Morga, one of his servants, and dispatches him, much as any villain in Great or G would do. This fourth-tier villain sorties to the human world, where our heroes will inevitably be ensnared in his scheme until they overthrow it.

Switch over to Sailor Moon, going about her every day teenaged life. (As insane as it sounds, Kouji, Tetsuya, Ryouma, Hayato et al were in fact all teenagers, too. Insanely jacked up ones, but still.) Rather than having the villain show up as an enemy athlete ready to show them all up, Sailor Moon stumbles across her foe while out shopping.

From there it plays out exactly as the first episode of a lot of mecha anime does. Sailor Moon is given her powers unexpectedly as disaster strikes, informed that this is her lot in life now, and uses her powers, after some important words from her sponsors, to strike down evil, sending the other villains running back to their masters.

If I had to point to any differences at this point, they'd all be the simple, obvious, and sorta superficial ones.

oooh you started it Corvy :)

I've already made a decent list of mecha shows that I'd be interested in my backlog.

Now if someone were to combine magical girl shows and mecha... I know of at least one like that already. And it's in my backlog.

Magic Knight Rayearth is squee. I think you will like it!

Madoka wtf is this shit Magica 4

this is surely getting interesting...but I still don't know how you all voted this aoty back then lol.

Give it time. Youll discover some very interesting things..

Samurai Champloo 23

The Baseball Episode - I have no idea what I just watched, but it was hilarious.

The last episode was confusing as well, it had
zombies

Jarmel

Banned
I missed what's going on, is Amagi Brilliant Park apparently shit?

Who knows? It's kinda hard to say what the source material is like considering I'm reading a bastardized version of it in the manga. That said, so far it's like an otaku version of Rollercoaster Tycoon.

As to the adaptation itself, so much of comedy is timing and writing so it's impossible to say how that will turn out. The art style is pretty generic though but I can definitely see elements of Takemoto's direction in the opening shot.

cajunator

Banned
Ano Hana - 10

At first it was all well done and touching, but then...

4OtzSng.gif

Yeah Ano Hana has an issue with consistency. It has its heart right but something about the execution is lacking. Ties it together at the end where it matters though.

Urobuchi is also starting to lose some of his prestige that came when he was making his best stuff. And this is coming from someone who genuinely looks forward to shows where he's mentioned.

I hope he doesn't Don Bluth

I hope not either :(
But Madoka and Fate Zero were very strong. He will be known for those and unless something monumental comes along his writing legacy will diminish over time.

Brother Madp has at last found the light of Mecha Jesus' path to Mecha Heaven. I may have fallen into the den of Magical Girl sin, but we should all be happy for Brother Madp in this delightful new era, so that he, too, can weep with us all over the rotting, overdesigned, CGI corpse of our beloved God.

You have quite a remarkable way with words Mr Corvy kun.
Speaking of mecha, I need Gargantia S2.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 5

Some fighting, seems the animation is a bit better here.

These episodes establish some of the rules and characters that occur in this world, but you'll soon see how things come into play. but you still wont see everything for a while.
Trust me its all going somewhere.

I'm about done with Fate/Zero, and man, the
death of Rider
has got to be one of the saddest anime moments for me. :(

Rider went out like a BOSS. Dont be sad for him, revel in the glory of his knowing and manly march to his doom. He was such a badass

Anastasia was a pretty good movie, and Titan A.E. wasn't terrible (and those are 2 of his last 3 movies)

though admittedly his peak seems to have been here

Anastasia is legit good. But I think you are forgetting one VERY significant film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k8o8yNb6aM

zulux21

sorries I misread then. Thought you were talking about his best work.

nah, while not a terrible movie I don't think titan AE would remotely make a list of best work from a guy who also did An American Tail, The Land Before Time, all dogs go to heaven, Anastasia and The Secret of NIMH :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom