• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
didn't even realize Anastasia was some of his last. Love that movie. For some reason I thought All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 and Rock A Doodle or w/e the fuck it was called were his last films. Critically isn't Titan A.E. pandered? Also not sure if he worked on it, but I hear there's a Secret of Nimh 2: Electric Mousegaloo

edit: derp, just realized I wrote the wrong word. Panned*

FUCK THAT MOVIE

I can promise you one thing about chihayafuru. It will hands down be the best anime about competitive poem reading you have ever seen...

it will also likely be the worst :p

as for the mmorpg thing, I can see that, but in general I would rather watch shows about teams and friendship over girls eating cake and falling over or girls that are violently abusing male characters because they have a disease of the mind (and should have charges pressed against them and locked up instead of eventually falling for the men they abuse leading to what will likely result in a murder suicide 10 years down the line) :/

as far as I know critically titan AE did alright(it's a 6.6 on imdb aka not great but still pretty good), it's just known to be not a great movie because it bombed at the box office because no one was sure if it was aimed for sci fi fans or little kids due to poor marketing.

as for his movies...

rock was earlier and he wasn't the director of all dogs go to heaven 2... as far as I see he wasn't involved

Waaaaait. He did the Wuzzles? WHAT? OMG

I've been watching Escaflowne lately. Almost finished the series, and I've really liked it so far! The antagonists are pretty great. Wonder when the crazy one will come back.

I'm considering watching The Violinist of Hamelin next. Good decision, or a bad one?

I love the villains in Escaflowne. they are evil and they just revel in it. Especially in the dub. Man I should watch that again.

This looks decent. Pretty cute. Not sure how much it would stand out. Plus That moe food show will likely be better.

It is one of the best episodes in the anime. Plus Tama is
a straight up asshole
which I love and find so hilarious. That flashback tho.

"Princess Pinch", the 2-3 minute sequence of no dialogue, Barfy-sempai in the robot, locker room stuffing, and other stuff I forgot, yeah its definitely up there. I rewatched it right after since I enjoyed it so much.

Tama is amazing. Wish she was introduced to the show earlier since theres only 2 episodes left :(

fertygo

Aria the Origination - 13 (Intro)

iRKZsqm.gif

fuck this shit

fuck anime

cajunator

Banned
cajun man, you need to be more open-minded. People have different qualities that they value in media, and it's important to be respectful of their preferences. Just because someone holds a particular stance that you might consider somewhat misguided or immature, it doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to take the intellectual high ground and condemn them fo--

DHg028z.png

yeah fuck that shitty show and fuck all the shiteaters who like it

LOL. *hugs AHB

Who is Tokisaki Kurumi? :lol

Oh no you didnt..
Also I wish they'd make more figures of her and that Griffon wasnt the one making them.
If alter makes a figure of her I will buy it at a high price.

THE IKUHARA COUNTDOWN IS A DAILY ONE NOT WEEKLY
IT FINISHES ON SUNDAY
THAT IS ALL

(also they've corrected the spelling of "countdown", slightly sadly)

LESBIAN BEAR PENGUIN STORMS ARE COMING

Ano Hana - 11 END

All right. I'm gonna be honest.

I actually kind of liked this in the end. I did. I didn't cry, but I DID get choked up.

But even so, this show has its fair share of problems. Its most prominent one being the pacing. Right from the start the show establishes that it's the story of how a group of teens move on from their friend's death when said friend's spirit appears to one of them to which she asks for her wish to be granted. But the show spends a lot of time early on not focusing on that a lot. And that really boggles my mind. It's only 11 episodes! Branduil put it best. "A 3 episode OVA that got 11 episodes" as I recall. And it shows.

The little plot development in each episode is padded out with your everyday boring teenage drama, really making this show a chore to sit through at times. And I NEVER thought I'd say that for an 11 episode series.

But when the show finally gets the plot going at episode 8 and onwards, that's when the show starts to show how good its premise can be. I'd say it does those parts really well. I can easily see why this show resonated with a lot of people and why some people around here really like it. I especially like the last twist where it's revealed that
Menma wasn't able to rest in peace because the group was only thinking of their feelings at the time and not Menma.

But like I said, my enjoyment of this is hampered by the fact that it's just too long and padded out. I know that there's a movie adaptation, which I've heard fixes the pacing problem. So if you want to check this out, go with the movie I guess.

All right, now that this show's out of the way I need a comedy. Hmm, now that this "Working!" show is getting a 3rd season maybe I should check that one out.

Like I said before, the show ends on a strong note and really hits the mark. Its unfortunate that it meanders so much into stupid territory in the middle, and I think overall it would have been better as simply a movie telling the series story.

Rhapsody

Banned
I haven't went on international saimoe in so long. I remember going there and voting. Good times.

And then I kinda stopped watching anime for a bit and barely recognized the characters in.

Mr.Jeff

Its better unbroke my heart :/
Let's just say that you'll end up with a smile despite it.

Watching through it (where does the time go) 6 years ago I will freely admit I had to prepare myself for the ending and still ended up weepy-eyed. Even re-reading it again last night it's still so good.

Now onwards! To the other side!

cajunator

Banned
I missed what's going on, is Amagi Brilliant Park apparently shit?

No.

Bodacious Space Pirates 6

So Pirates act as entertainment for luxury liners? Fun little sequence.

So much yuri ahead. So much fun. Chiaki da best.

nah, while not a terrible movie I don't think titan AE would remotely make a list of best work from a guy who also did An American Tail, The Land Before Time, all dogs go to heaven, Anastasia and The Secret of NIMH :p

You mentioned his peak productions, so I I mentioned Nimh.

Hoooly shit I never thought about that

I haven't went on international saimoe in so long. I remember going there and voting. Good times.

And then I kinda stopped watching anime for a bit and barely recognized the characters in.

I still recognize the vast majority of them and it kinda bothers me.

Exalted

Quick question , is Berserk Golden age a standalone series or a sequel of the Berserk anime. Never watched it, so if its a remake and the same story would probably just watch one.

cajunator

Banned
nimh like Anastasia are both outliers from his peak as his peak seems to be the late 80s while nimh was early 80s and anastasia is late 90s

talking about in terms of quality. I think we are using different definitions of peak. Or Im just tired. I have worked 96 hours this work week.

Shergal

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 37
When you give your slavesworkers a channel for expressing their voice. . .
Class conflict becomes apparent.
Tensions may escalate, both parties becoming more ruthless. . .
And, in the worst case scenario, explode into full-fledged civil war.

But is it really war? Or is it revolution? Are the oppressed, in fact, fighting to take back what was stolen from them in the first place? Should the oppressors be defeated?

Not content with everything it has achieved until now, Ojamajo Doremi tackles serious socio-political issues. Its commentary becomes pessimistic when, at the end, the fairies who had achieved class conciousness chose to give up their struggle and accept truce in favour of supposedly common interests. The events that transpired are casually dismissed as simply the normal workings of the political system and put in the back of everyone's minds, an all too common occurrence in our own world.

Aria the Origination - 13 (Intro)

iRKZsqm.gif

fuck this shit

fuck anime

Damn Origination was masterpiece. I should rewatch the whole series someday. Best healing anime ever.

talking about in terms of quality. I think we are using different definitions of peak. Or Im just tired. I have worked 96 hours this work week.

Damn I would broke down with 96h work weeks. I have 37h and it feels like that during weekdays I have time for nothing especially if I hit the gym after work.

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 07

The lesson of the day is that letting Tatsuko do anything is asking for something to explode, metaphorically or literally. I still love her, but letting her on Illya's cooking team was only asking for trouble. No magical girl action at all, just Illya and Kuro trying to decide who's the "older sister" in the family. And Shiro getting caught in a war where he has no idea of the details, only that he's involved in it.

Er, again.

Chiwa Saito's delivery of "You need to go to the hospital" after Illya followed everyone's "advice" was a nice little moment. Fun episode, and going by the preview, it looks like a calm before the storm kind of deal. Something big is going to happen, even if I don't recognize the character who's making it happen. I did recognize one of the cameos in Iri's "big sister" pan, though.

zulux21

you seem to be using peak interchangeably with best
I am using peak as a period of time when he was outputting the highest quantity of high quality titles over the course of a few years.

cajunator

Banned
Damn Origination was masterpiece. I should rewatch the whole series someday. Best healing anime ever.

Damn I would broke down with 96h work weeks. I have 37h and it feels like that during weekdays I have time for nothing especially if I hit the gym after work.

12 more work hours to go then Im done.

you seem to be using peak interchangeably with best
I am using peak as a period of time when he was outputting the highest quantity of high quality titles over the course of a few years.

Yeah Im thinking best.
Sorry for the mixup. Like I said Im really exhausted.

This is why the movie is just a much better version of the story. Okada doesn't have the extra two hours to fuck it up.

Also,
Kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume
Ookina kibou wasurenai
Juu nen go no hachigatsu
Mata deaeru no wo shinjite
Saikou no omoide wo...

Eh, I liked the OP's tune better. Though that may be due to my instinct to just stop the show whenever the ED pops up.

Like I said before, the show ends on a strong note and really hits the mark. Its unfortunate that it meanders so much into stupid territory in the middle, and I think overall it would have been better as simply a movie telling the series story.

Well, at least we actually got that.

All right, now that I've played a bit of Xillia 2, now lets see how good Working! is as an anime comedy.

cajunator

Banned
Eh, I liked the OP's tune better. Though that may be due to my instinct to just stop the show whenever the ED pops up.

Well, at least we actually got that.

All right, now that I've played a bit of Xillia 2, now lets see how good Working! is as an anime comedy.

Working is awesome but Inami's manhating will either wear thing or endear to you if you are the masochist type. Yamada is just a goddess and Poplar is adorable.

zulux21

Yeah Im thinking best.
Sorry for the mixup. Like I said Im really exhausted.
it's all good :p

working is fine as a comedy until bitch mcbitchface shows up... (end of ep 1 or two :/)
then it's about as funny as a torture film while she is on screen :/ (it's still ok when she isn't on screen but sadly she is a main character :/)

cajunator

Banned
it's all good :p

working is fine as a comedy until bitch mcbitchface shows up... (end of ep 1 or two :/)
then it's about as funny as a torture film while she is on screen :/ (it's still ok when she isn't on screen but sadly she is a main character :/)

When alls said and done I will have worked 108 hours over 9 days and thats a bit much.

fertygo

Aria the Origination - END

Maybe I'm gonna disappoint Jeff, but my sentimental side not awaken tonight, so I didn't blow my eyes or something, made me kinda regretting finishing the series today.. Its still very damn good ending even though I think my emotion roller coaster peaking at Alice's story.. still the franchise evoking many kind of emotion in me, I cried to many thing before but this kinda different, I can grin and embarrassed like fools watching this show, man.. I kinda sad everything is over now, maybe I just gonna rewatch this season all over again lol

Btw man they shoulda use one of round table song for final insert song btw.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Girls und Panzer Episode 1:

Right, on a whim I have decided to see what the hubbub about this show is about and after this episode I am still waiting. In between the bad CGI Tanks, the overly moe design on the girls and some of the dullest generic cookie cutter high school slice of life tropes I have been subjected to in a good long while I am tempted to walk away right now but maybe that was just the set-up episode being dull. I really hope this gets better because I want it to get better.

I have theory that if every human being in the world would watch all three seasons of Aria wars would end that week. You just wouldn't be able pick the gun anymore after witnessing the beauty and peacefullness of Neo Venezia.

Working!! - 1

Ehhhhhh....This COULD grow on me. Might take some time though. Didn't exactly chuckle at any of the jokes in here so that's a bad sign.

At least the OP at the end is catchy.

zulux21

I have theory that if every human being in the world would watch all three seasons of Aria wars would end that week. You just wouldn't be able pick the gun anymore after witnessing the beauty and peacefullness of Neo Venezia.

all Aria does for me is make me sleepy... first few eps were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring, I just gave up on it despite it's high rating as it clearly wasn't for me. To be fair it wasn't like I hated the show.... in fact, it basically resulted in no feelings from me in general. I didn't hate it, I didn't like it, I basically nothinged it o_O;

Mr.Jeff

Aria the Origination - END

Maybe I'm gonna disappoint Jeff, but my sentimental side not awaken tonight, so I didn't blow my eyes or something, made me kinda regretting finishing the series today.. Its still very damn good ending even though I think my emotion roller coaster peaking at Alice's story.. still the franchise evoking many kind of emotion in me, I cried to many thing before but this kinda different, I can grin and embarrassed like fools watching this show, man.. I kinda sad everything is over now, maybe I just gonna rewatch this season all over again lol
No that's fine. A lot of people who finish the series tend to say that episode 9 tends to be more emotional to them than the last one. I can't really compare the two since they're both fantastically done.

Not to continue to belabor the point either but I really do recommend going through the manga at some point as well. A lot remains the same but there's some neat little changes between equivalent scenes that make for interesting pondering. Plus some entirely new stuff that never made it across at all!

Thanks for the impressions and I'm glad you enjoyed the series though even if you are a heartless monster.

Phatmac

This was a decent cooking episode that had more Shirou then we usually get in the show which is nice. Not a whole lot happened but it had some fun moments with the older sister debate. Interested in seeing the next episode as it'll hopefully introduce Baretta.

fertygo

I totally not gonna held any interest in Aria if watching it 4-5 years ago lol

Maybe now I can tackle back K-ON if tried, dat gross Takitty's original design doe.. wish Horiguchi just blow up the design with nuke from stretch.

all Aria does for me is make me sleepy... first few eps were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring, I just gave up on it despite it's high rating as it clearly wasn't for me. To be fair it wasn't like I hated the show.... in fact, it basically resulted in no feelings from me in general. I didn't hate it, I didn't like it, I basically nothinged it o_O;

Well I don't know if this would hold true for you but Aria is one of those few series where the quality really rises with every passing season. I also personally found Animation little boring but at the end of Origination I was listing it to my top five anime list....Of course still you might get bored with it if it just isn't for your taste.

Mature

Girls und Panzer Episode 1:

Right, on a whim I have decided to see what the hubbub about this show is about and after this episode I am still waiting. In between the bad CGI Tanks, the overly moe design on the girls and some of the dullest generic cookie cutter high school slice of life tropes I have been subjected to in a good long while I am tempted to walk away right now but maybe that was just the set-up episode being dull. I really hope this gets better because I want it to get better.
A lot of people in here speak highly of Girls und Panzer and while I think it's a good show, I don't think I'd recommend it to everyone. I went into the show basically looking to be disappointed by a generic cute girls doing things show, but instead got one with a solid execution that focused around war games and tactics. The show, including the CG, does get better as it moves forward, so it may be worth sticking around for at least a bit longer.

A lot of people in here speak highly of Girls und Panzer and while I think it's a good show, I don't think I'd recommend it to everyone. I went into the show basically looking to be disappointed by a generic cute girls doing things show, but instead got one with a solid execution that focused around war games and tactics. The show, including the CG, does get better as it moves forward, so it may be worth sticking around for at least a bit longer.

Honestly, it really only starts to pick up after the tournament starts. I wouldn't say the first episodes are bad, but they're not as strong as later ones.

fertygo

No that's fine. A lot of people who finish the series tend to say that episode 9 tends to be more emotional to them than the last one. I can't really compare the two since they're both fantastically done.
I more referring to eps 11, but that's count as one package I guess.
Not to continue to belabor the point either but I really do recommend going through the manga at some point as well. A lot remains the same but there's some neat little changes between equivalent scenes that make for interesting pondering. Plus some entirely new stuff that never made it across at all!
Someday!
Thanks for the impressions and I'm glad you enjoyed the series though even if you are a heartless monster.
eeeeeeh

Well I don't know if this would hold true for you but Aria is one of those few series where the quality really rises with every passing season. I also personally found Animation little boring but at the end of Origination I was listing it to my top five anime list....Of course still you might get bored with it if it just isn't for your taste.
I hooked up with Animation totally after hearing dat ED, and fantastic eps 3.

Midonin

Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman (R)

As I've been alternating between Marimite and Ikkitousen these past days, I didn't think I'd come across a series that somehow combined aspects of both. I feel like the Papillon Rose OVA was a little better at the "erotic magical girl" parody. This was largely thoroughly weird, with things like Sumo Darth Vader and
Terminator Pope
. It did provide me with ample yuri fodder, so I can't dislike it. The religious focus was also somewhat of an unusual angle to take. Looks like this was from the early 90s, which sounds about right for its tone. A curio among curios.

Ikkitousen Great Guardians 01-03

Neither the OP nor ED are as good as DD's, and the focus appears to have shifted back to Hakufu. Chubo's not a bad addition to the cast, and her quoting of Sun Tzu for the episode titles fits the theme of the series, I'm just not sure what she's here for yet. Some of the more questionable aspects of the first series are back a little stronger - a damsel in distress already? - but it's also balanced by turning up the yuri factor a bit. Kanu's love for Ryuubi seems to have gone up to Yuru Yuri levels, complete with fantasizing and repeated attempts at romance being blocked by the universe itself. The mystery of Ryofu's revival is also something that'll need to be expanded on more. I guess because she was a fan favorite? The flow of the show has learned from the lessons of DD, but the content's not quite as strong to start. The whole thing feels a lot more like Maken-Ki!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom