• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokoi

Banned
Working!! - 1

Ehhhhhh....This COULD grow on me. Might take some time though. Didn't exactly chuckle at any of the jokes in here so that's a bad sign.

At least the OP at the end is catchy.

I tried to watch this show, but ending up dropping it at episode 3. Nothing about it clicked for me.

- Missing out on Girls und Panzer means missing out on one of the best sports anime ever made.

- The second season of Working is better than the first.

- The world of Aria, based on the first season, is a cotton candy Hallmark card world. It's so overwhelmingly sentimental and sweet that it disgusts me.

Pooya

GuP isn't a huge time investment, it's over fast, you can watch the whole thing over a weekend afternoon. I recall first episode was largely negatively received around here, it gets good after first match, which episode was that don't remember.

fertygo

- The world of Aria, based on the first season, is a cotton candy Hallmark card world. It's so overwhelmingly sentimental and sweet that it disgusts me.

While that still mostly true for the overall atmosphere(and ain't anything world with that)
the world of aria expanding its more mysterious and mythical side at 2nd season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Origination - END

Maybe I'm gonna disappoint Jeff, but my sentimental side not awaken tonight, so I didn't blow my eyes or something, made me kinda regretting finishing the series today.. Its still very damn good ending even though I think my emotion roller coaster peaking at Alice's story.. still the franchise evoking many kind of emotion in me, I cried to many thing before but this kinda different, I can grin and embarrassed like fools watching this show, man.. I kinda sad everything is over now, maybe I just gonna rewatch this season all over again lol

Btw man they shoulda use one of round table song for final insert song btw.
You know, I do think it's weird that they didn't use Round Table for Origination. But Akari being a Prima did nothing for ya? lol

jgminto

Free! Eternal Summer 8
ibewfl5ECkntOZ.png

AAAAH! This episode was just too adorable! My heart couldn't take it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A lot of people in here speak highly of Girls und Panzer and while I think it's a good show, I don't think I'd recommend it to everyone. I went into the show basically looking to be disappointed by a generic cute girls doing things show, but instead got one with a solid execution that focused around war games and tactics. The show, including the CG, does get better as it moves forward, so it may be worth sticking around for at least a bit longer.
I do wonder if half as many people would give a shit if the show featured an all male cast... say, if it was Free instead of Military K-On.

Aren't you a fan of shows like Usagi Drop? :p

Midonin

I do wonder if half as many people would give a shit if the show featured an all male cast... say, if it was Free instead of Military K-On.
I know I wouldn't, and I feel that's doing a disservice to K-ON!. But then when it comes to GuP, I'm the opposite. After the first few episodes my interest started dropping once the characters took a backseat to the battles. The cast is spread too thin and aren't very well defined.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You mean like Hetalia?
I've never seen Hetalia, but sure. lol

I know I wouldn't, and I feel that's doing a disservice to K-ON!. But then when it comes to GuP, I'm the opposite. After the first few episodes my interest started dropping once the characters took a backseat to the battles. The cast is spread too thin and aren't very well defined.
I only make the K-On comparison because of Yoshida. There are some common beats, although of course, GuP artificially (and pointlessly in some cases) raises the stakes for no good reason.
I'd say the command tank crew is probably as developed as the K-On girls after S1. All of the other characters are defined by their clubs/gimmicks though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Usagi Drop exists in a world where bad things could actually happen.
I'm just saying, when your story is the plot of both an Adam Sandler movie and a Hugh Grant movie, it's hard to say it's anything but sickly sentimental.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I find it a strange criticism of Aria.

I'm just saying, when your story is the plot of both an Adam Sandler movie and a Hugh Grant movie, it's hard to say it's anything but sickly sentimental.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I find it a strange criticism of Aria.

When you've got a girl whose catchphrase is "Don't say sappy things!", you're opening yourself up to that criticism. Aria is just so in-your-face sentimental that the artifice of it becomes too obvious for my taste.

phaze

Girls und Panzer Episode 1:

Right, on a whim I have decided to see what the hubbub about this show is about and after this episode I am still waiting. In between the bad CGI Tanks, the overly moe design on the girls and some of the dullest generic cookie cutter high school slice of life tropes I have been subjected to in a good long while I am tempted to walk away right now but maybe that was just the set-up episode being dull. I really hope this gets better because I want it to get better.

Honestly, if you disliked the tank battle bits at the beginning and all the cute stuff in remainder of the episode than you're better off dropping it. Or just go with 3 episode rule as its there (and last minutes of the second ep) that the first longer battle occurs.

Midonin

I only make the K-On comparison because of Yoshida. There are some common beats, although of course, GuP artificially (and pointlessly in some cases) raises the stakes for no good reason.
I'd say the command tank crew is probably as developed as the K-On girls after S1. All of the other characters are defined by their clubs/gimmicks though.
When it comes to girls' sports anime, I prefer the other thing that GuP has been compared to - Saki. Though that's primarily because mahjong is a sport that relies on individuals instead of groups, so the characters shine a little brighter. Even if I know as much about mahjong as I do about tanks, I also prefer the former because at my other anime board where I was at the time, all the tank specs and military talk just turned into white noise for me.

I enjoyed the OVAs and I will watch the movie, I don't actively dislike it. The balance of elements just didn't work for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have theory that if every human being in the world would watch all three seasons of Aria wars would end that week. You just wouldn't be able pick the gun anymore after witnessing the beauty and peacefullness of Neo Venezia.
I agree! Or at least I find it a lovely way to just depict the experience of discovery and the simple joie de vivre of everyday life.

all Aria does for me is make me sleepy... first few eps were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring, I just gave up on it despite it's high rating as it clearly wasn't for me. To be fair it wasn't like I hated the show.... in fact, it basically resulted in no feelings from me in general. I didn't hate it, I didn't like it, I basically nothinged it o_O;
Although I can readily see this reaction as well. lol

When you've got a girl whose catchphrase is "Don't say sappy things!", you're opening yourself up to that criticism.
As someone who is probably the most cynical person in this thread, I just can't help but bemused by this weird reversal of positions regarding this show.

Clov

I've said this before, but what I really like about Aria is the world. I do like the characters, but the world within the show is so mysterious and interesting that it became my favorite part. It's mostly focused on in the second season; that's probably why it's my favorite out of the three.

cajunator

Banned
Considering Episode 1 almost put me to sleep, this will require some contemplation.

Which show are you referring to GuP or aria?

- Missing out on Girls und Panzer means missing out on one of the best sports anime ever made.

- The second season of Working is better than the first.

1. Yes
2. YES
3. Whaaaaaaaaaat?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When it comes to girls' sports anime, I prefer the other thing that GuP has been compared to - Saki. Though that's primarily because mahjong is a sport that relies on individuals instead of groups, so the characters shine a little brighter. Even if I know as much about mahjong as I do about tanks, I also prefer the former because at my other anime board where I was at the time, all the tank specs and military talk just turned into white noise for me.

I enjoyed the OVAs and I will watch the movie, I don't actively dislike it. The balance of elements just didn't work for me.
I'm the guy who thought it was weird that a girl would cosplay as a German/Nazi/"Nazi" general and that no one seems to blink an eye, so I understand having weird feelings about the show.

I think Saki is different inasmuch as it's a show based very much on flashbacks, which allows it to "cheat" and do character development in an episodic manner but serialized through the action of a sport. I'm not an expert of sports anime by anime means, but it's really the only show that I've seen that does characterization in this manner and it works so well because of it. GuP is a bit more standard in that it tries to propel the characters forward through the matches - so a lot of the problems that happen are of the moment and are resolved fairly quickly by winning matches. Miho is really the only one with a true backstory in the series.

I've said this before, but what I really like about Aria is the world. I do like the characters, but the world within the show is so mysterious and interesting that it became my favorite part. It's mostly focused on in the second season; that's probably why it's my favorite out of the three.
The amazing part is that it's basically just as mashup of Venice and random Japanese culture, but that's enough to propel it to something almost ethereal.

In a thread with both dimb and femmeworth active that's quite a lofty claim!
I could probably out cynic the both of them combined!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Usagi Drop starts with a girl's father dying and the family debating whether or not to put her in an orphanage since she's undesirable to them.
Again, this was the premise of an Adam Sandler movie. It's designed to be sentimental. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

Much like say, the plainly manipulative opening chapter of The Last of Us.

Mr.Jeff

Sabagebu - 02
While it's nice to see a female lead like Momoka who is a vindictive person, I just find myself enjoying this and skipped through most of the episode. One of those comedy shows that just doesn't work with me I guess.

Lupin Season 2 - 62
Outside of a mere handful of episodes I really struggle for anything to say about this show. Some of the regular capers are entertaining enough I guess but beyond that it's just a way to pass time in an adequate fashion. The longer it goes on, the more Fujiko's character continues to grate on me.

zulux21

Again, this was the premise of an Adam Sandler movie. It's designed to be sentimental. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

what adam sandler movie, because that is not the premise of big daddy... the premise of big daddy is screw my best friend I am going to kidnap his kid he doesn't know he has by pretending to be him and use the kid as a tool to get back with my ex... which is nothing like usagi drop's premise.

Of course Usagi Drop is sentimental. But it does it without pretending like the world owes you a favour or that if you wish for things really hard or are a good person then your wife comes back from the dead.

If you want to raise a child you have to make sacrifices, you can't get that career advancement you wanted, you can't stay out late drinking, you can't date as easily, these are all factors that the show deals with unceremoniously.

There's a difference between sentimental and SENTIMENTAL.

All I'm looking for is acknowledge that the world isn't all peaches and roses and smooth sailing; that there's roadbumps and derailments in life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
what adam sandler movie, because that is not the premise of big daddy... the premise of big daddy is screw my best friend I am going to kidnap his kid he doesn't know he has by pretending to be him and use the kid as a tool to get back with my ex which is nothing like usagi drop's premise.
So I needed to look it up because god knows I haven't seen this movie in over ten years, but:
Rather than give Julian to a group home, he decides to hang out with the 5-year-old boy until a new family is ready for him. In caring for him, Sonny discovers a new purpose in his life and a deep connection with Julian as a father figure. But Social Services rep Arthur Brooks (Josh Mostel) discovers that Sonny is posing as Kevin, and insists that he give up Julian. Brooks takes Julian and decides to press charges against Sonny.
But that's the sentimental part I remember.
Well, also the court scene with this:
The judge grants custody to Kevin to the dismay of Julian, who wants Sonny as his father. Sonny tells Julian that it can't happen because his real father is present, but they can be friends.
--
There's a difference between sentimental and SENTIMENTAL.
I just don't see how Aria is the all-caps one, which I assume you are using as a pejorative, while Usagi Drop is a "positive" form of sentimentality.

Of course Usagi Drop is sentimental. But it does it without pretending like the world owes you a favour or that if you wish for things really hard or are a good person then your wife comes back from the dead.

If you want to raise a child you have to make sacrifices, you can't get that career advancement you wanted, you can't stay out late drinking, you can't date as easily, these are all factors that the show deals with unceremoniously.
Well, my point would be that because this is a work of fiction - and even if you leave off the second half - unless the author is trying to make a comment and play with audience expectations, you know exactly what will happen to these characters. It's not a show about tension because it's inevitable that the dude will learn to be a father and the girl will learn to accept him. Because, hell, that's what people watch these stories for.

Even that show that came after it, PapaKiki, works in the exact same manner. It just throws in sprinkles of anime vomit all over it to make it more palatable for an otaku audience.

I preemptively hate things before they're even made. Star Trek 3 and Star Wars 7 are going to be pieces of shit. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Well, saying that the new Star Wars will suck isn't being cynical. It's just stating a fact.

There's a difference between expressing sentiment and being overly sentimental, though. Usagi Drop is closer to the former than the latter. Yes, it can be very sweet at times, but it earns those moments with some genuinely unpleasant moments (even if they aren't as many) as well as honest look at the problems the characters face in their situation.

Branduil

You can be sentimental without being saccharine.

duckroll

It wouldn't be the same show at all though. Part of the appeal is how ridiculous the show is with the concept and playing with expectations. Women aren't expected to drive tanks and participate in aggressive sports. And if they do, it's not generally seen as a girly thing, or something even desirable in society. The show takes those expectations and creates a what if scenario where it is what it is, and I think that's part of what makes it so original.

If we were to have an all male cast in a military-ish world driving tanks... it would be just another war fetish thing with a different coat of paint. To capture the same level of uniqueness with an all male cast it would have to be something very different, so it wouldn't be much of a comparison in the end.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 74

That picture album seemed like it was just those three with their circle. Kinda giving the shaft to all the other girls at the school.

Also having this emotional graduation episode only for them to be like "It'll be fine, we're going to be in the high school division a hundred feet away anyway" seems...dumb.

Jarmel

Banned
It wouldn't be the same show at all though. Part of the appeal is how ridiculous the show is with the concept and playing with expectations. Women aren't expected to drive tanks and participate in aggressive sports. And if they do, it's not generally seen as a girly thing, or something even desirable in society. The show takes those expectations and creates a what if scenario where it is what it is, and I think that's part of what makes it so original.

If we were to have an all male cast in a military-ish world driving tanks... it would be just another war fetish thing with a different coat of paint. To capture the same level of uniqueness with an all male cast it would have to be something very different, so it wouldn't be much of a comparison in the end.

I would be fine with a male cast actually. War game stuff with actual tactics would be fine with me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'm broken inasmuch as I find that stuff much more "offensively" saccharine for whatever reason.

I know that Hosanna and madp are turned off by SatoJun, so I have no idea what it is. I don't feel manipulated when I watch one of his shows, whereas all I can see are the writer's heavy-handed pen-strokes when I watch something like Usagi Drop.

I don't actively dislike it like Hosanna, but it just feels extremely writerly. Come to think of it, it's probably why I like the middle section of Iron Man 3 so much.

---

I dunno, I mean, we have Strike Witches and Kancolle to go along with GuP. There is some undeniable element of otaku moeism going on there that makes these things work.

Branduil

I guess I'm broken inasmuch as I find that stuff much more "offensively" saccharine for whatever reason.

I know that Hosanna and madp are turned off by SatoJun, so I have no idea what it is. I don't feel manipulated when I watch one of his shows, whereas all I can see are the writer's heavy-handed pen-strokes when I watch something like Usagi Drop.

I don't actively dislike it like Hosanna, but it just feels extremely writerly. Come to think of it, it's probably why I like the middle section of Iron Man 3 so much.

I'd say you have very idiosyncratic tastes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuru Yuri Episode 1:

I don't think a lack of screen presence is really that much of a concern for Akari Akaza considering some of the planks of wood that have been foisted upon us over the years.

Clov

I'm not really sure why we're comparing Aria to Usagi Drop. They're two very different shows that are trying to do very different things; Usagi Drop is obviously more grounded in reality than an anime featuring gondolas on Mars. Usagi Drop (to me at least) is more about drama, whereas Aria is more about the small day to day interactions. That's not to say Aria has no drama (it certainly does, especially in its third season), but it's done differently than what you'd find in Usagi Drop.

They're both really good anime, though I don't know if they make a good comparison. That being said, if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Usagi Drop; that's just because I love anime like it, though.

Branduil

A show about men having tea parties and fashion contests. Where being a club that does such is considered the height of masculinity.

And all of the schools are on top of floating platforms.

Midonin

But the girls aren't tanks... ._.
I might have enjoyed it more if they were. Though my problems with Upotte ultimately ended up being similar to those in GuP. If KanColle's anime wants to impress me, Strike Witches is the ideal it should aim for.

Cardcaptor Sakura 10

I was expecting a simple field day episode, and I got a lot of backstory to go along with it. There's a theme starting to show up here of generations repeating themselves. Not only do we have a second student-teacher romance already, Tomoyo and her mother are very similar in their characterization. Flower's a fun card. I have to remember that this isn't a battle type magical girl show, so even an effect card like Flower has its uses. I also love how Kero was able to mission control this one while offering advice over the phone, able to concentrate on his fighting game the entire time. That cell phone is a lifesaver.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not really sure why we're comparing Aria to Usagi Drop. They're two very different shows that are trying to do very different things; Usagi Drop is obviously more grounded in reality than an anime featuring gondolas on Mars. Usagi Drop (to me at least) is more about drama, whereas Aria is more about the small day to day interactions. That's not to say Aria has no drama (it certainly does), but it's done differently than what you'd find in Usagi Drop.

They're both really good anime, though I don't know if they make a good comparison. That being said, if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Usagi Drop; that's just because I love anime like it, though.
I just take exception to Aria being called Hallmark card sentimental when there are many well liked shows here that are very similar in tone and function.

I'd say you have very idiosyncratic tastes.
Perhaps. Aria has the bonus for being the only science fiction work I can think of without resorting to some form of violence as its main plot point. Even Star Trek couldn't avoid doing it.

duckroll

I might have enjoyed it more if they were. Though my problems with Upotte ultimately ended up being similar to those in GuP. If KanColle's anime wants to impress me, Strike Witches is the ideal it should aim for.

Well I'm sure glad GuP wasn't targeting people like you. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom