• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I mean, I've seen it. I distinctly remember a conversation about the perviness of the show with macodin, back when the old guard used to post in anime threads. S2 must have been what? 3 years ago at this point?

It'd be four years according to wikipedia. I'll watch it one of these days, I suppose.

I guess I'm broken inasmuch as I find that stuff much more "offensively" saccharine for whatever reason.

I know that Hosanna and madp are turned off by SatoJun, so I have no idea what it is. I don't feel manipulated when I watch one of his shows, whereas all I can see are the writer's heavy-handed pen-strokes when I watch something like Usagi Drop.

I don't actively dislike it like Hosanna, but it just feels extremely writerly. Come to think of it, it's probably why I like the middle section of Iron Man 3 so much.
I'm baffled how you like Bakemonogatari, taking this into consideration.

Jarmel

Banned
Monogatari is not sentimental at all!

iHW2SPCiUFcG6.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, shit. lol
Although I put that more in the SatoJun spectrum than in the other end!

Bakemonogatari makes me sentimental for a time when it was okay to like Shaft shows.
But they're all good, so there's nothing to be sentimental about.

I still use :lol in posts so they're formatted right when it finally returns!
One of hateradio's extensions links to an imgur with the laughing smiley, so you can use it as often as you like!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Viva All is basically a Kidz Bop song. Maybe the humor is enough to carry it for some people.

sonicmj1

Didn't think it was very good in either, but I found it kind of catchy in English because the vocals weren't as obtrusive as they were in Japanese.

I found Lonely Nights better in Japanese, because it was a pretty dead-on tribute to a certain kind of Japanese rock (even with all the English in the lyrics), and Ian Sinclair can't possibly have the appropriate vocal texture singing in a different language.

phaze

Texhnolyze 01

Note to self: If someone sticks a fingernail into your eye defending yourself is apparently not a good idea.

I assume this is some GITS kind of deal because he wasn't hurt and her hand looked like ripped of a mannequin.

If you told me beforehand that I would watch a 10 minute no dialogue sequence and not feel bored at any point I would laugh at you. Hamasaki has this weirdly captivating way of directing that makes even mundane shots interesting. I thought I would have a break from lewd after SW and Diebuster but boy was I wrong. Completely forgot about similar bits in Shigurui. On to the next one

Kept you waiting, huh?

That is mostly because I've been playing the SAO game, liked it so far, even with some HUGE framerate drops due to incompetent engine that summons the whole town in front of you.

SAO Episode 16

Fairies my ass, that's an elf,
full stop. Period. I hate elves, those smug faces, long ears, pale perfect bodies, blond hair. If there is anything that should be forever eliminated from the face of the (
fictional
) Earth, it should be elves.

Back to the episode, what's up with giving
Kirito's sister
plot? And by plot, I don't mean that in the literary sense of the word, I mean PLOT. I know that
she is Leafa
because the game spoiled me.

Another thing:
bringing Yui back to life
was cute, and her
being a pixie
was even better.

Ojamajo Doremi 24-27

I'm close to the halfway point. This has been a great series thus far and I'm liking how it feels like the girls are actually progressing and how now there's a plot to follow with the introduction of the cursed cards.

Mothman91

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 8

Devil cat, incubator?

Sayak chan!?!?!

I'm guessing if you don't replenish your soul gem, you'll turn into a witch? Is that the concept?

I don't even have to think twice about buying the Space Dandy blu-ray and OST when it comes out. I mean we have Viva All, that surfing song, japanese Daft Punk, and now this song.

Looking forward to the next episode, the AS preview made the art direction look insane.

Nafe

Ara-ia: The Animation

Episode 2

There's the event of the annual flooding and on the one hand it does make for some really nice and different scenery. The way the water and sky sort of merge together into one. On the other hand though you think maybe people would design their homes around that sort of thing. I thought maybe you could see that the cabinets were slightly elevated but that detail paid no attention to. When this event happens this episode you would then understand. Just a small detail of world building in the show and don't tell (until later anyway) fashion. On the other hand, having everything presented as normal and then seeing everything flooded also does work for creating that contrast to the usual.

I liked the Undine's outfits but didn't pay specific attention to their gloves. The idea of wearing a single glove, and being referred to as such, was a nice little way to show position in the profession.

I liked Aika's flashback to first meeting Alicia. The muted colour pallet is a normal enough technique to demonstrate a memory but I just found how it was presented in this case really added to the sort of intimacy of the moment in that it was shared only between the two. Other little small details such as Aika keeping her twintails as sort of a momento from her first meeting with Alicia and the respect she has for her. Despite some friction with Akira's teachings, there are some things that have rubbed off on her such as the "not allowed" catchphrase but modified into her own.

The show also has its small share of reaction faces. I'm still back and forth on Akari's though. Actually, another detail I forgot to mention at the beginning has to do with the episodes beginnings. I like the gentleness of the opening song but I also like how there's no one visual regarding the shows opening and that the show either just carries on through the song or you see scenery representing the theme of the episode.

-Alicia's "ara" counter for this episode: 44

(I might have missed a couple as people were talking at the same time at a couple of points which made it harder to hear.)

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi 24-27

I'm close to the halfway point. This has been a great series thus far and I'm liking how it feels like the girls are actually progressing and how now there's a plot to follow with the introduction of the cursed cards.

Yeah, you might want to not get too invested in the cursed cards plot. lol

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 2wei 07

Family and school antics this episode, establishing a new chaotic status quo at the Einzbern household. OP has a few glimpses of the new antagonist, too.

Gag of the week: The whole bit with Illya trying to act older sister-like, especially the inexplicably positive reactions of her school friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom