• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 37
When you give your slavesworkers a channel for expressing their voice. . .

Class conflict becomes apparent.

Tensions may escalate, both parties becoming more ruthless. . .

And, in the worst case scenario, explode into full-fledged civil war.

But is it really war? Or is it revolution? Are the oppressed, in fact, fighting to take back what was stolen from them in the first place? Should the oppressors be defeated?

Not content with everything it has achieved until now, Ojamajo Doremi tackles serious socio-political issues. Its commentary becomes pessimistic when, at the end, the fairies who had achieved class conciousness chose to give up their struggle and accept truce in favour of supposedly common interests. The events that transpired are casually dismissed as simply the normal workings of the political system and put in the back of everyone's minds, an all too common occurrence in our own world.

Masterful impressions. Damn, looks like I missed a bunch of your older impressions

Aww. Well I'll have to enjoy it while it lasts then.

Well it goes somewhere
in the next season...

Mokoi

Banned
Space Dandy S2 7

Such a solid episode, and enjoyed every minute of it. The exchanges between Dandy and Johnny were great. Loved the banter they had with each other. Dandy was right about the Pendants though. Honey also knows how to pick a good band name. Duckroll is right about Lonely Nights! It rocks, and both versions are really good. However, I prefer the Japanese vocals.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
free whatever episode this is
Fgvcua7.jpg
Clearly the pool in this episode has a closed ceiling on top of it, but the catch on the episode was that doing the backstroke would let one of the characters see the sky. zzzzzzzzzzzz

JoeFu

Banned
Space Dandy S2 7

Such a solid episode, and enjoyed every minute of it. The exchanges between Dandy and Johnny were great. Loved the banter they had with each other. Dandy was right about the Pendants though. Honey also knows how to pick a good band name. Duckroll is right about Lonely Nights! It rocks, and both versions are really good. However, I prefer the Japanese vocals.

weeb

Branduil

Clearly the pool in this episode has a closed ceiling on top of it, but the catch on the episode was that doing the backstroke would let one of the characters see the sky. zzzzzzzzzzzz

I guess KyoAni has reached the point in their studio life where they no longer feel the need to put extra effort into things that will sell regardless.

Mothman91

kinda change your perception of the early episodes , right ?

Yup, just one question:

Kyubey was like during the flash back that Madoka destroyed that witch in one shot, yet she still transformed. I'm guessing she used all her soul power to destroy it, and still turned into a witch?

cajunator

Banned
It wouldn't be the same show at all though. Part of the appeal is how ridiculous the show is with the concept and playing with expectations. Women aren't expected to drive tanks and participate in aggressive sports. And if they do, it's not generally seen as a girly thing, or something even desirable in society. The show takes those expectations and creates a what if scenario where it is what it is, and I think that's part of what makes it so original.

If we were to have an all male cast in a military-ish world driving tanks... it would be just another war fetish thing with a different coat of paint. To capture the same level of uniqueness with an all male cast it would have to be something very different, so it wouldn't be much of a comparison in the end.

what I found really endearing was the juxtaposition between moe anime girl heads and the cold mechanical military tanks. It makes them look even more adorable like when some little tsundere catgirl goes rawwwrrr. Holy shit my heart. Girls und Panzer is sublime.

A show about men having tea parties and fashion contests. Where being a club that does such is considered the height of masculinity.

And all of the schools are on top of floating platforms.

this sounds like a great idea!

So... you prefer a song you can understand versus a song you can't? :p

I listen to a lot of music from around the world and much of it I cannot understand. But in this city we are very familiar with outside music anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ara-ia: The Animation

Episode 2

There's the event of the annual flooding and on the one hand it does make for some really nice and different scenery. The way the water and sky sort of merge together into one. On the other hand though you think maybe people would design their homes around that sort of thing. I thought maybe you could see that the cabinets were slightly elevated but that detail paid no attention to. When this event happens this episode you would then understand. Just a small detail of world building in the show and don't tell (until later anyway) fashion. On the other hand, having everything presented as normal and then seeing everything flooded also does work for creating that contrast to the usual.
It's funny, because the real Venice is going through man problems with the flooding now and they are trying to find ways to save the buildings from damage at this point. You can some videos showing the flooding and the solutions that they're trying:
http://youtu.be/2QtfxYOkXIA?t=14m35s
http://youtu.be/JXKW7Ozhx8I?t=1m44s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1MNSomoQCM

I liked the Undine's outfits but didn't pay specific attention to their gloves. The idea of wearing a single glove, and being referred to as such, was a nice little way to show position in the profession.
Yep! It plays an important part in Origination!
The show also has its small share of reaction faces. I'm still back and forth on Akari's though. Actually, another detail I forgot to mention at the beginning has to do with the episodes beginnings. I like the gentleness of the opening song but I also like how there's no one visual regarding the shows opening and that the show either just carries on through the song or you see scenery representing the theme of the episode.
I just find this amusing because I remember someone somewhere complaining about all their reaction faces and chibimode transformations. But that's just Amano and her style. lol

-Alicia's "ara" counter for this episode: 44

(I might have missed a couple as people were talking at the same time at a couple of points which made it harder to hear.)
Good luck counting. :p

dimb

I guess KyoAni has reached the point in their studio life where they no longer feel the need to put extra effort into things that will sell regardless.
Lousy metaphors aside I kind of just don't understand what Free! is even going for visually. Maybe there are like...certain color combinations that trigger fujoshi hormones but the entire episode is so flat and garish it's kind of unreal.

Also, sweet time swaps. And the CG inserts keep betraying the warped perspectives of the background. Hurts my head.

Yup, just one question:

Kyubey was like during the flash back that Madoka destroyed that witch in one shot, yet she still transformed. I'm guessing she used all her soul power to destroy it, and still turned into a witch?

Yes ,
homura hasn't seen a possibility that madoka doesn't turn into a witch herself if she transform and accept kyubei proposition to become a magical girl. And even if she does becomes one early all that await is despair for madoka , or despair for homura ..it's a freaking dead end, bad end.

In that flashback , madoka transformed because homura couldn't beat the witch , she beat the witch and that became a bad end for homura.

Branduil

Lousy metaphors aside I kind of just don't understand what Free! is even going for visually. Maybe there are like...certain color combinations that trigger fujoshi hormones but the entire episode is so flat and garish it's kind of unreal.

Also, sweet time swaps. And the CG inserts keep betraying the warped perspectives of the background. Hurts my head.

That's one tiny pool.

Fate Kaleid Prisma Illya 2wei - 07
You know what is really annoying , one of the good parts of the manga is the comedy side of it , and as this episode shows , it can be quite good because there are a lot of dynamics between all the characters ( and they are doing a great job for the adaptation )

But this is the last of the really comic part that will be adapted for this season no birthday party , (and that one was great ) , no taiga homework , nothing on the luvia /rin relationship.

and that annoy me a great deal ... WHY 10 eps !!

WHY 10 eps ???

2wei-07.gif

Anyway, the battle for the older sister title was fierce and the comedy was strong , the "i'll do all of them at once " plan was superb.

But next week , serious things are back because BAZETT arrives !! Hopefully the last 3 eps make everything end with a BOOM.

Droplet

To be fair to them I think the more important part was not having to have your face constantly in the water, which both Makoto and the kid he was teaching were scared of.

I don't really know why this episode existed but it was cute and grounded so I liked it.

Syrinx

Chihayafuru 5

Okay, first off, Chihaya needs to learn to settle down and let people talk and listen for a second. "But why? He must have a reason for quitting karuta! I believe him!", etc. If you believe in him and want to know why, ask him, and then shut up for a second and see if he has anything to say.

As for Arata...the reason he quit was pretty obvious from the get-go, Emotional scene kinda fell flat for me, partly because of how obvious it was, and also partly because I'm about 99% sure it'll be revealed or implied that it was his grandfather who encouraged him to go to the karuta tournament in the first place, and then there will be a revelation that his grandfather would have wanted him to continue playing karuta to carry on his spirit. Or something like that.

Quasar

Well just going on that image, I'd say fluorescent greens and blues are pretty common around swimming and swimwear.

dimb

To be fair to them I think the more important part was not having to have your face constantly in the water, which both Makoto and the kid he was teaching were scared of.

I don't really know why this episode existed but it was cute and grounded so I liked it.
It, uh, really bugged me. Like, nothing happened in the episode. Makoto works as a swim instructor. One of the kids doesn't like to swim. For some reason a super bishonen guy keeps showing up to be very touchy with other members of the cast. Free! repeats the only mantra it has about doing things your own way to solve a trivial problem. And then the episode was over.

Why does it exist? To show that Makoto is good with kids, because that is a highly appealing character trait for a 2D man that you want to inseminate you. At no point does the kid matter, this episode is kind of just here solely to reinforce positive character traits for Makoto. Nothing about the story being told is particularly outlandish or notable, nothing hits as being very relatable. It feels even weirder when there are key character moments slipped in that have absolutely no relation to the rest of the episode.

Droplet

Why does it exist? To show that Makoto is good with kids, because that is a highly appealing character trait for a 2D man that you want to inseminate you. At no point does the kid matter, this episode is kind of just here solely to reinforce positive character traits for Makoto. Nothing about the story being told is particularly outlandish or notable, nothing hits as being very relatable. It feels even weirder when there are key character moments slipped in that have absolutely no relation to the rest of the episode.

Episode aside, was that seriously the most tasteful way you could have said that?

zulux21

love stage 7

first insert 1 cup yaoi scene
then insert 1 cup magical girl scene
then insert 1 cup of actual story
finally insert another half cup of yaoi

mix together and you get the recipe for love.

Droplet

TBF, I'm pretty sure dimb was using the indefinite you, not accusing anyone in particular. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I mean, I get that, and I don't really want to argue in favor of the writing and characterization of a show whose main purpose is to pander to the "girls who like guys getting sweaty with other guys" market, but that's kind of a fucked up way to think of the female viewers. :(

That's not a safe assumption... I love swimming, I absolutely detest the ocean though :p

Swimming in the ocean is in fact the worst. Plus somebody was recently attacked by a shark where I used to swim, so you know, fuck that. I'll stick with my safe, chemically altered water.

cajunator

Banned
I mean, I get that, and I don't really want to argue in favor of the writing and characterization of a show whose main purpose is to pander to the "girls who like guys getting sweaty with other guys" market, but that's kind of a fucked up way to think of the female viewers. :(

Swimming in the ocean is in fact the worst. Plus somebody was recently attacked by a shark where I used to swim, so you know, fuck that. I'll stick with my safe, chemically altered water.

The water off Louisiana coast is pretty gross. Very warm and full of nasties.
Much prefer swimming in a pool.

To be fair people can get just as disgusted with lewd/extremely fan service shows that deal with women characters.

Syrinx

Chihayafuru 6

Kinda annoyed that Chihaya made this about Arata again at the end. Mostly because I actually liked this episode a lot. I have to admit that most all of my familiarity of Japanese poetry comes from the haikus they would have us read in high school, of which it felt like most of the teachers never took all that seriously. So they would show us a few and talk about how they're about scenery and whatnot and move on. So I never really appreciated a lot of the deeper meaning behind a lot of this poetry. I don't know how reliable this girl's interpretation of these poems are, but they're kinda the first time I saw any real analysis of the content of these poems. And apparently the same is true for Chihaya, since she was so blown away by this. And her learning all this has made her better at karuta.

As for being annoyed that she made it all about Arata, I guess it's just that Chihaya sees karuta in a whole new way now after talking to this girl and seeing all the poems for the meaning behind them and not just the cards. This should have been about Chihaya finding new appreciation for the game and falling in love with it even more. So when she went all "I want Arata to see how fun karuta is with friends", it bugged me since I really felt like that isn't what this episode was about at all. I understand that Arata is the root of Chihaya's love for karuta, but at the same time I feel that after all she's put into it and her even newfound appreciation for it shouldn't always come back to him.

On a side note, I hope that that modeling Chihaya did for that girl as the condition to get her to join the club doesn't lead to some subplot where some scout sees it and wants to get her into modeling, resulting in some rivalry with her sister. Not that she doesn't have the looks to pull it off.

Branduil

It's a rather crude way to say "husbando" I guess. You could do the converse for some male fans of waifus(quite literally, for shows like Sword Art Online). The market KyoAni had in mind for Free was fairly obvious ever since the initial commercial. But turnabout is fair play, and it was obviously a business-savvy move. Dimb can speak for himself, but I assumed he was lamenting the fact that Free simply isn't as well-made as K-on, rather than the fact that it exists at all.

Actually, I feel like the real question here is why dimb is still watching Free.

zulux21

you know I don't have any fears about sharks and what not (i mean I am not a fan of potentially being attacked in the water, but it's not a deal breaker) for me it was the salt. More annoying to my eyes then the chemicals in a pool, tastes bad, and makes you so darn stiff afterwords, it's like your whole body got starched :/

I think my favorite place to swim was in lake superior (nice clean water and not much threat from wild life) followed by my own personal pool... then a private pool for exercise, then a small lake/quarry, then my bath tub... then a random mud puddle, then the ocean, and then finally public pools...

the salty taste in the ocean is yucky but at least I know why that is salty and it's not the same reason why the public pool is salty :/

I finished Samurai Champloo today.

Boy that was a great series. Not too long, not too short for the material. No crazy stuff in the story, it was fairly grounded
except for Zombies, but I have no idea wtf happened in that episode.
Some episodes were just hilarious with their dramatic over the top characters and rapping/beatboxing/graffiti was amusing to put it lightly. I took Japanese for 4.5 years in high school and college so hearing the foreigner/gaijin accents was also hilarious in some parts.

Great characters and good story. Was glad I watched.

So let's see about my noob anime list.

Attack on Titan (through the anime)
FMA Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo

I want to watch Cowboy Bepop but I hear it's coming out on bluray...December though :( WHAT SAY YOU GAF WHAT DO I WATCH NEXT?!!?

I finished Samurai Champloo today.

Boy that was a great series. Not too long, not too short for the material. No crazy stuff in the story, it was fairly grounded
except for Zombies, but I have no idea wtf happened in that episode.
Some episodes were just hilarious with their dramatic over the top characters and rapping/beatboxing/graffiti was amusing to put it lightly. I took Japanese for 4.5 years in high school and college so hearing the foreigner/gaijin accents was also hilarious in some parts.

Great characters and good story. Was glad I watched.

So let's see about my noob anime list.

Attack on Titan (through the anime)
FMA Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo

I want to watch Cowboy Bepop but I hear it's coming out on bluray...December though :( WHAT SAY YOU GAF WHAT DO I WATCH NEXT?!!?

If you aren't already with the Toonami run, watch Gurren Lagann. Dub and sub work just fine, though sub has great engrish.

If not how about Baccano or Black Lagoon? They should be right up your alley with what you've watched. I also can't recommend Berserk enough. The recent film remake of the golden age arc is easy to find on blu-ray.

Shergal

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 44
Dude.
He hit her. Like, he knocked her over with the force of that slap, it was more like a punch. I understand the slapstick tendencies and stylizations the show likes to employ, but whenever the situation in Doremi gets serious, they'd usually stop exaggerating like that. This was just kind of uncomfortable, especially because it went unmentioned for the rest of the episode.

So why does Aiko always get the crappy made episodes? The directing was egregious here. There was no attempt at establishing the tone or atmosphere of any scene, the editing lacked flow, just rushing from one part to the next and what the hell was up with those random geometric cut-outs? The drawings and layouts weren't much better either, it was the level of quality the show would be content to display on a throwaway plot of the week episode dealing with some nobody from the class, but not in something like this. Episode 34 of the first season (also about Aiko's parents) suffered from the same, but what's way worse in this episode is that the writing fell completely flat, so the issue wasn't just about watching an ugly screen, it was all-around a bad episode. It's unfortunate because there were some interesting ideas, but the lack of any consequence for anything -unusual for Doremi- and the unrealistic stuff they pulled just to have a cliched resolution on a train station deprived it from having any impact. It just came off as an artificially contrived situation created for the sake of having a drama episode.

This got to be the first time in almost 3 seasons I feel really disappointed with the show :(

Fate/kaleid 2wei 7
Well this started off interesting. I found it pretty funny when they adore Shirou's serious face. And Shirou gets hit. A lot, Mostly physical but some emotional too.

dimb

People have sexual desires. I don't think it's really a big deal, and I feel like it kind of has to be noted that the purpose of Free! is to cater to fantasy. It's healthy to want to be inseminated. Free! panders under this creepy guise of sincerity though, prioritizing elements that only serve the erotic doujin market over anything that would make the show itself worthwhile. It has cast aside any notion that the caricatures its peddling serve a purpose outside of titillation, but it operates under this boring notion that it is a slow drama.
Actually, I feel like the real question here is why dimb is still watching Free.
I have too much free time. The summer anime season sucks. I like to follow KyoAni. At least one of the episodes was enjoyable.

If you aren't already with the Toonami run, watch Gurren Lagann. Dub and sub work just fine, though sub has great engrish.

If not how about Baccano or Black Lagoon? They should be right up your alley with what you've watched. I also can't recommend Berserk enough. The recent film remake of the golden age arc is easy to find on blu-ray.

Is Crunchyroll a good place to watch Gurren Lagann? I'm not familiar with the site so if you have any other subscription services or places to watch these please I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Quasar

I much prefer the beach myself than sore chlorine eyes. Plus waves make swimming interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom