• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

10597362_521367487964915_400545408_n.jpg
aimai.gif

jgminto

People have sexual desires. I don't think it's really a big deal, and I feel like it kind of has to be noted that the purpose of Free! is to cater to fantasy. It's healthy to want to be inseminated. Free! panders under this creepy guise of sincerity though, prioritizing elements that only serve the erotic doujin market over anything that would make the show itself worthwhile. It has cast aside any notion that the caricatures its peddling serve a purpose outside of titillation, but it operates under this boring notion that it is a slow drama.

I didn't really get the fantasy of this episode. It just seemed like a cute story to me.

zulux21

I much prefer the beach myself than sore chlorine eyes. Plus waves make swimming interesting.

Waves are indeed fun, thus why swimming in lake superior is fun.
I have nothing against beaches, they are great, sand under your feet, waves coming in washing away your stress..
I will just stick with fresh water over icky icky salt water :p

Branduil

He will definitely go crazy if he has to choose from undifferentiated lists of anime curated by mass opinion.

Baccano! is a good choice to start off with. Space Dandy is another obvious option while you're waiting on Cowboy Bebop blurays.

I would also recommend watching most of the Studio Ghibili films, if you have not done that already.

jgminto

Waves are indeed fun, thus why swimming in lake superior is fun.
I have nothing against beaches, they are great, sand under your feet, waves coming in washing away your stress..

I will just stick with fresh water over icky icky salt water :p

Swimming in the ocean is so much better. Great for your skin too.

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch 9

Damn this show is too damn cute. I had to take a few days off to recuperate from all the hnngs. Immediately, Miya's awesomeness is apparent. I love that alarm clock. Also, i'm not sure if I asked this before or not, but what is that weird green thing they keep showing? Is it a rooster? Is it Charlie in his green man costume? What the heck is it? And dammit Miya can you stop being so amazing? You're completely stealing the show from what's-her-face! ...The one that's not Miya.

Midonin

Megane na Kanojo (Glasses Girlfriend)

So many short series and OVAs I'm testing out in these (relatively) empty weeks. For this one, as far as romance stories go, it was pretty enjoyable. Kana and Aya were my favorites, though the stories in the other two episodes were also pretty good. It's also this episode that makes me realize how much Roman Holiday has been homaged/copied/referenced in anime. The way that Takashi reacted in episode 2 pretty much sums up my thoughts. I can recognize many major voice actresses by their intonation alone, but when it comes to live (Japanese) actresses, if they haven't been in a tokusatsu show, my skills aren't so good. Also further proof that HanaKana is in everything.

Hidamari Sketch 9

what is that weird green thing they keep showing?
Ume Aoki, the author of the manga. (It's voiced by her too!)

Is Crunchyroll a good place to watch Gurren Lagann? I'm not familiar with the site so if you have any other subscription services or places to watch these please I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Well it's currently the only legal streaming way to watch it. Heck before Toonami, it was easily the only way to watch it reasonably unless you were willing to sell your soul to buy the blu-rays.

The only issue with Crunchyroll is that for some reason it's only in 480p streaming. Which ticks me off. But eh. Also it's only sub in Crunchy, so if you wanted it dub check your cable provider see if it's on demand since it's currently running dubbed on Toonami. No clue if Adult Swim would carry the episodes on their site since Aniplex.

As to Crunchyroll itself, many here are subscribed to it as it airs plenty of currently airing anime plus a backlog. If you want a 2 day pass let me know I'll hook you up.

Evangelion Rebuild is so strange. It has been many years since I've seen the TV show, but this pacing seems to ruin a lot of the depressing atmosphere. Instead it moves quickly and I guess that is fun in a different way?

It is dumb that 3.33 is not out on Bluray in America yet.

I have a feeling that this will end up being a thing that repeats in history. The TV show happened and at the final impact Rebuild was Shinji's choice.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 44
Dude.
He hit her. Like, he knocked her over with the force of that slap, it was more like a punch. I understand the slapstick tendencies and stylizations the show likes to employ, but whenever the situation in Doremi gets serious, they'd usually stop exaggerating like that. This was just kind of uncomfortable, especially because it went unmentioned for the rest of the episode.

So why does Aiko always get the crappy made episodes? The directing was egregious here. There was no attempt at establishing the tone or atmosphere of any scene, the editing lacked flow, just rushing from one part to the next and what the hell was up with those random geometric cut-outs? The drawings and layouts weren't much better either, it was the level of quality the show would be content to display on a throwaway plot of the week episode dealing with some nobody from the class, but not in something like this. Episode 34 of the first season (also about Aiko's parents) suffered from the same, but what's way worse in this episode is that the writing fell completely flat, so the issue wasn't just about watching an ugly screen, it was all-around a bad episode. It's unfortunate because there were some interesting ideas, but the lack of any consequence for anything -unusual for Doremi- and the unrealistic stuff they pulled just to have a cliched resolution on a train station deprived it from having any impact. It just came off as an artificially contrived situation created for the sake of having a drama episode.

This got to be the first time in almost 3 seasons I feel really disappointed with the show :(

Here I was thinking of a different Aiko episode that actually made me angry.

Next episode is neat stuff tho

zulux21

He will definitely go crazy if he has to choose from undifferentiated lists of anime curated by mass opinion.

Baccano! is a good choice to start off with. Space Dandy is another obvious option while you're waiting on Cowboy Bebop blurays.

I would also recommend watching most of the Studio Ghibili films, if you have not done that already.

at this point popular opinion is just as good as some random person's opinion in this thread.
You can keep recommending shows based on what they enjoyed (and could just as easily put those shows in MAL and find similar shows based on popular opinion) They might as well broaden their horizons a bit and look into some other shows to see if it would interest them and instead of everyone in here posting personal favorites and doing a small sample popular vote they could just look at the mass opinion.

I've never found it to be worthwhile to just throw random shows I like at people, not everyone has the same tastes. In general after you get into anime you need to do something like find a popular list and try out a bunch of genres and find what you like (you can do the same thing with a small sample like this thread, but even within genres shows some people like others will hate and that could easily turn them off a genre they might otherwise not mind so why not find the shows that the most people enjoy instead of a single person?) , and then you can find people who like the same stuff you do and trust their recommendations.

also while I can agree with baccano I can't agree with space dandy... I wanted to like it so much, but alas it bored me into dropping it around episode 6 as it just wasn't amusing and for every good moment there were 2 that were just terrible.

Ghibili films are a fine recommendation though.

Well it's currently the only legal streaming way to watch it. Heck before Toonami, it was easily the only way to watch it reasonably unless you were willing to sell your soul to buy the blu-rays.

The only issue with Crunchyroll is that for some reason it's only in 480p streaming. Which ticks me off. But eh. Also it's only sub in Crunchy, so if you wanted it dub check your cable provider see if it's on demand since it's currently running dubbed on Toonami. No clue if Adult Swim would carry the episodes on their site since Aniplex.

As to Crunchyroll itself, many here are subscribed to it as it airs plenty of currently airing anime plus a backlog. If you want a 2 day pass let me know I'll hook you up.

Looks like it's on hulu too, I wonder what the quality is like on there. I despise Hulu but I suppose I could bear it for HD....maybe.

Droplet

It's a rather crude way to say "husbando" I guess. You could do the converse for some male fans of waifus(quite literally, for shows like Sword Art Online). The market KyoAni had in mind for Free was fairly obvious ever since the initial commercial. But turnabout is fair play, and it was obviously a business-savvy move. Dimb can speak for himself, but I assumed he was lamenting the fact that Free simply isn't as well-made as K-on, rather than the fact that it exists at all.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the market for Free is actually quite different from the market for something like, say, an otome game adaption, and targeted more towards female fans of shows like Gundam Wing and Kuroko no Basuke. I have to say though, regardless of that, Kyoani's actually done a very good job of being realistic with the way they portray the sport, so if it weren't for all the angst and if they had perhaps stuck more closely to the actually grounded, less fanservicey source material they might have had an actually good show. Alas :(

Anyway I left my comment at that because I felt it was somewhat distasteful, but I'm sure I could have made a similar comment about men watching To-Love-Ru and nobody would have cared.

you know I don't have any fears about sharks and what not (i mean I am not a fan of potentially being attacked in the water, but it's not a deal breaker) for me it was the salt. More annoying to my eyes then the chemicals in a pool, tastes bad, and makes you so darn stiff afterwords, it's like your whole body got starched :/

I think my favorite place to swim was in lake superior (nice clean water and not much threat from wild life) followed by my own personal pool... then a private pool for exercise, then a small lake/quarry, then my bath tub... then a random mud puddle, then the ocean, and then finally public pools...

the salty taste in the ocean is yucky but at least I know why that is salty and it's not the same reason why the public pool is salty :/

My worst experience from ocean swimming was being attacked by probably around 50-100 little jellyfish over the course of an hour. Aside from that, I hate the feeling of being pushed by the current in some direction I don't intend to go. I could either be going farther away from shore or I could be pushed into the waves, and neither of those are very pleasant.

I'm not sure how much I would trust a public pool, but I do remember that our boy's water polo team, who practiced next to us during off season (and who probably carried their habits into the swim season) wasn't allowed to leave practice to use the restroom. In another instance, our school's rival team dumped a good amount of live fish into the pool, where they all promptly died. So you know, I guess as long as I can taste the chlorine I'm probably fine with anything.

zulux21

to be fair you can get the dvds for $45 on amazon which isn't to bad :p
but yeah a lot of us have crunchyroll accounts and can spare gift passes (myself included) as in my case the only time I give out a gift pass is when my friend whom I watch anime with over mumble (think better skype without the video) doesn't have the shows we are watching obtained for his viewing pleasure :p

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 44
Dude.
He hit her. Like, he knocked her over with the force of that slap, it was more like a punch. I understand the slapstick tendencies and stylizations the show likes to employ, but whenever the situation in Doremi gets serious, they'd usually stop exaggerating like that. This was just kind of uncomfortable, especially because it went unmentioned for the rest of the episode.

So why does Aiko always get the crappy made episodes? The directing was egregious here. There was no attempt at establishing the tone or atmosphere of any scene, the editing lacked flow, just rushing from one part to the next and what the hell was up with those random geometric cut-outs? The drawings and layouts weren't much better either, it was the level of quality the show would be content to display on a throwaway plot of the week episode dealing with some nobody from the class, but not in something like this. Episode 34 of the first season (also about Aiko's parents) suffered from the same, but what's way worse in this episode is that the writing fell completely flat, so the issue wasn't just about watching an ugly screen, it was all-around a bad episode. It's unfortunate because there were some interesting ideas, but the lack of any consequence for anything -unusual for Doremi- and the unrealistic stuff they pulled just to have a cliched resolution on a train station deprived it from having any impact. It just came off as an artificially contrived situation created for the sake of having a drama episode.

This got to be the first time in almost 3 seasons I feel really disappointed with the show :(

I think I remember having some issues with this episode as well. Or maybe my issues were just with her parents in general, of which I had several.

Also you're in for a treat three episodes from now.

I started playing Soul Hackers (3DS) and it's impressive how Satelight has been able to make the animated cutscenes look as bad as ones from the PS1 era. If I didn't know better, I'd think that was the intent.

Looks like it's on hulu too, I wonder what the quality is like on there. I despise Hulu but I suppose I could bear it for HD....maybe.

just gave it a try. It's not HD. So if you want an ad free experience you could get a couple of 2 day passes here or get an account in Crunchy. They might have it for free members in Crunchy, but it'd also have ads so up to you.

Nozaki-kun- 1

All right, confession time.

I watched this a while ago on a whim and thought it was amusing. But I held off on writing impressions of it then because I was tired at the time and was in the middle of a bunch of other shows.

So I may as well dive into the rest of this show and see if the comedy gets better. Though, judging from other's impressions of this and gifs I've seen, I assume that it does.

just gave it a try. It's not HD. So if you want an ad free experience you could get a couple of 2 day passes here or get an account in Crunchy. They might have it for free members in Crunchy, but it'd also have ads so up to you.

Yeah, sure, I'll take a 2 day pass if you have some, why not? I'll give the website a go and subscribe if it's good (if hulu is the only alternative, quite likely)

Used to be on Netflix, pretty sure it was HD as well. I don't know if Aniplex decided to remove it from there and keep it SD on other sites to make people buy dvd's/blu rays? Either ways, sent you the code via PM.

Branduil

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the market for Free is actually quite different from the market for something like, say, an otome game adaption, and targeted more towards female fans of shows like Gundam Wing and Kuroko no Basuke. I have to say though, regardless of that, Kyoani's actually done a very good job of being realistic with the way they portray the sport, so if it weren't for all the angst and if they had perhaps stuck more closely to the actually grounded, less fanservicey source material they might have had an actually good show. Alas :(

Well I guess. I mean, I can't say I'm an expert or even remotely knowledgeable on the subject, but the difference between shows like Free and an Otome show feels analogous to the difference between a cute-girls-doing-cute-things show and a harem show. Potentially different audiences, but a big part of both is people who just to see cute and/or lewd things.

I don't mind female-oriented fanservice if the show has other appealing aspects for me(Fate/Zero, Escaflowne, etc), but the characters in Free just felt so silly and unnatural to me. And that's basically the whole show, so...

zulux21

so... I was searching for some parody songs on youtube today (I am working on a parody CD for my wife due to word crimes and foil from weird al's new album :p) and I came across this attack on titan parody which I found to be rather well done. thus I continued to search through his stuff and that eventually lead me to his cover of the first soul eater opening and a few other covers by him eventually leading me to this cover of the guilty crown opening by a different person

so this of course has lead me to multiple questions for this thread.
First off does anyone know of any other decent anime related parody songs out there?
and second off does anyone know of any other decent anime english cover singers out there (as while I like a number of japanese openings I would prefer a well made english one over them as they are easier to sing along with, which singing along with a song is my main driving force of most of the music I listen to lol)

First my friends link me to that new Anaconda song by Nicky Minaj, and now I watched a parody of fucking Pompeii with a guy who tried to make it about Attack on Titan.

I need to listen to some good music for a bit. BRB.

waiting for the comment on how the song is shit

Branduil

at this point popular opinion is just as good as some random person's opinion in this thread.
You can keep recommending shows based on what they enjoyed (and could just as easily put those shows in MAL and find similar shows based on popular opinion) They might as well broaden their horizons a bit and look into some other shows to see if it would interest them and instead of everyone in here posting personal favorites and doing a small sample popular vote they could just look at the mass opinion.

There's nothing wrong with broadening your horizons but popularity lists don't tell you what's good, just what's popular. There's a ton of good shows someone would miss if they only used MAL's ratings charts.

I've never found it to be worthwhile to just throw random shows I like at people, not everyone has the same tastes. In general after you get into anime you need to do something like find a popular list and try out a bunch of genres and find what you like (you can do the same thing with a small sample like this thread, but even within genres shows some people like others will hate and that could easily turn them off a genre they might otherwise not mind so why not find the shows that the most people enjoy instead of a single person?) , and then you can find people who like the same stuff you do and trust their recommendations.

No one was just throwing random shows they liked at him, though. Not everyone has the same taste, but knowledgeable people are going to be more helpful for recommending shows than an aggregated popularity ranking.

zulux21

First my friends link me to that new Anaconda song by Nicky Minaj, and now I watched a parody of fucking Pompeii with a guy who tried to make it about Attack on Titan.

I need to listen to some good music for a bit. BRB.

waiting for the comment on how the song is shit

:p
nah the black keys are ok (not my favorite but ok)
though I do like the song pompeii as well :p
I don't always like the original songs parodies are based off of though, for example I can't stand the original songs that both word crimes and white and nerdy are based off of but I like both of those songs by weird al.

There's nothing wrong with broadening your horizons but popularity lists don't tell you what's good, just what's popular. There's a ton of good shows someone would miss if they only used MAL's ratings charts.

No one was just throwing random shows they liked at him, though. Not everyone has the same taste, but knowledgeable people are going to be more helpful for recommending shows than an aggregated popularity ranking.

I didn't say only use MAL's Charts I said to use them for now... 3 shows isn't enough data to actually be able to meaningfully recommend stuff... you can recommend stuff like those shows but hey... so can MAL. Beyond that you would just be randomly throwing shows you like at them. I don't disagree that knowledgeable people are going to be more helpful, I help people find new shows all the time and have had others help me find shows I have overlooked, but with a sample size of 3 there is merely not enough data to meaningfully use any sort of knowledge a user has.

You will likely never see me seriously recommend a show to someone until after I have requested what type of shows they enjoy. Heck even a lot of times when people ask me for similar shows I still ask for more data before I will give out show recommendations. While my opinion can be valuable to other users, it's only valuable if I can properly filter the anime I have seen and then recommend from the pool of anime that is left, beyond that if they just want general recommendations popular opinion is typically the best way to go.

Mature

Or you could recommend something to someone by articulating why you like it and why it might fit into their tastes? People come in here asking for recommendations all the time. I think they know they can type in "top anime list" into Google and find a popularity poll. People in here don't typically throw random shows they like at people unless they implicitly ask for it (or neglect stating any criteria). It's almost always followed by questions regarding their individual tastes and preferences. There are people in this thread who have seen lots of interesting anime that some would never have the chance to stumble across had it not been for them recommending it— myself included. I don't subscribe to the method of "just watch what everyone else is watching".

Why are you rallying against people recommending titles? What an odd position to have, haha.

zulux21

Or you could recommend something to someone by articulating why you like it and why it might fit into their tastes? People come in here asking for recommendations all the time. I think they know they can type in "top anime list" into Google and find a popularity poll. People in here don't typically throw random shows they like at people unless they implicitly ask for it (or neglect stating any criteria). It's almost always followed by questions regarding their individual tastes and preferences. There are people in this thread who have seen lots of interesting anime that some would never have the chance to stumble across had it not been for them recommending it— myself included. I don't subscribe to the method of "just watch what everyone else is watching".

Why are you rallying against people recommending titles? What an odd position to have, haha.

I am not rallying against people recommending titles, I am all for it. I am against basically blindly recommending titles. Users can indeed offer plenty of insight into why they like such shows, but they are also limited in their scope. They can only really form one opinion on a show, and thus unless their opinion manages to match up with a new anime watcher their personal opinion isn't any more useful then the popular vote.

I get the whole you can get more data from users, but there is no reason why a person can't take the time to look at a list, find a few that interest them and then come here to ask about them and why people liked them. It's more focused and far less of a waste of time for those responding.

I mean I could sit here and write detailed info about all the shows

for example for baccanno I could do this
4cd4af8de5.jpg

Series Length: 16 total episodes. One TV season of 13 episodes plus 3 DVD only episodes.
Series Status: Complete with no foreseeable sequel in the works. It should be noted though that the series is based off a series of light novels that are still ongoing so there is still a possibility of a sequel.

Intended Audience
Baccano is hands down meant for a mature audience. Whether it's the show's complex and sometimes hard to follow plot, the occasional gore, or the language there is nothing about this show that says it's for anything but adults. The type of person who will find the most enjoyment from this show is someone who likes a deep story that they have to piece together, and don't mind investing some thought into what is actually going on. If you tend to like shows that require little thought this one is likely not going to be for you.

Similar Anime
There are very few shows that like Baccano. In fact when it first aired in 2007 I don't think there was anything that you could really say was like Baccano. In 2010 though Durarara!! aired and is the only show I would consider as a truly similar anime, which isn't a surprise as it's from the creators of Baccano, and even then it still doesn't quite feel like Baccano.

What Separates it From Other Anime
This is a very simple anime to explain how it's different from the general anime, because there really isn't other show like it. The whole series kind of pays homage to Pulp Fiction. Not only does it share the crime setting it also share the nonlinear storyline. Think if they took Pulp Fiction and threw in some fantasy elements.

The fantasy can easily be shown in the following video, which contains a scene from the first episode, so minor spoilers but nothing serious.

Whether you watched the video or not, you can rest assure that the fantasy in the show has nothing to do with pixies and unicorns. It is a fantasy that really makes the show it's own, and results in some of the most graphic scenes in anime that aren't just about being pointlessly graphic.

Easily the best part of the show is the cast of characters. If you looked at a character list or watched the intro you can see quite a few characters. Unlike most anime the show doesn't stay focused around one group of people. It is a tale of multiple stories that end up merging together into one. The best part, despite the large cast, no two characters really feel the same.

What Some People Have Problems With
This is a very easy show to describe what some people have with it, and it's the exact same thing that most people love about the show.. the complex story line. Most people who don't enjoy the show have troubles following the story line. They have problems keeping track of which character is which and who is doing what. There are also people who will be turned off by it's lack of a ton of action or how serious it is at times.

Final Thoughts
If you are the type of person that doesn't mind some gore, and loves complex stories with well designed characters this anime is for you. If you want something that you don't really need to think to watch you should go elsewhere.

If you have any questions about the show, or feel that my review structure could be improved let me know in the comments as I am always willing to try to make my reviews better.

but alas that takes a while to write for each show :p

Shergal

Next episode is neat stuff tho
Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 45
Yeah, neat indeed, I'm healed now. It was a good wrap-up to the little Kayoko subplot, and Igarashi directing makes it that much better.
In the end, these kids were 8 years old, they'll simply be mean to each other for petty reasons and generally not understand their peers very well. Most impressive about the episode is the way it weaved together the different contributing factors to Kayoko's situation, but the biggest negligence was clearly on the part of the teacher. Toxic environment!

The ending sequence was kinda cheesy, but it's okay. The show earns its right to be cheesy sometimes. However I remain uncomfortable at another casual dismissal of domestic violence, even if this case at least fit the tone more appropriately.

I am not rallying against people recommending titles, I am all for it. I am against basically blindly recommending titles. Users can indeed offer plenty of insight into why they like such shows, but they are also limited in their scope. They can only really form one opinion on a show, and thus unless their opinion manages to match up with a new anime watcher their personal opinion isn't any more useful then the popular vote.

I get the whole you can get more data from users, but there is no reason why a person can't take the time to look at a list, find a few that interest them and then come here to ask about them and why people liked them. It's more focused and far less of a waste of time for those responding.

I mean I could sit here and write detailed info about all the shows

for example for baccanno I could do this

but alas that takes a while to write for each show :p

I recommended Baccano and Black Lagoon because the shows he has watched are shows that have aired on Toonami, and based on reaction by people on Toonami and tastes in general if they liked those shows, they'll like these. Baccano and Black Lagoon tend to be something people enjoy and are both considered anime that aren't too anime with its presentation and more accepting of western viewers who aren't into anime culture. Other reasons as well but so far whenever myself or others has recommended Baccano it isn't based off on a whim.

If he had seen say a bunch of anime that is closer to shojo romance or shonen action people would have recommended good shows on that area.

I just want to state that The Lego Movie was absolutely amazing and one of the few movies I truly enjoyed watching from beginning to end.

Also, "Everything is Awesome" is catchy as hell and will be stuck in my head for a good week.

JoeFu

Banned
I recommended Baccano and Black Lagoon because the shows he has watched are shows that have aired on Toonami, and based on reaction by people on Toonami and tastes in general if they liked those shows, they'll like these. Baccano and Black Lagoon tend to be something people enjoy and are both considered anime that aren't too anime with its presentation and more accepting of western viewers who aren't into anime culture. Other reasons as well but so far whenever myself or others has recommended Baccano it isn't based off on a whim.

If he had seen say a bunch of anime that is closer to shojo romance or shonen action people would have recommended good shows on that area.

To recommend a show we now require a 500 word essay. Sorry woofdawg

zulux21

I never said it was off a whim (I said it would be random based off your likes if you weren't recommending similar shows) but it's also not that different from this or this you are just recommending shows that are similar to the shows that he already watched that are already similar to each other :p

That being said Black Lagoon is always overlooked as a great starting anime and is sorely missing from both of those lists ><;

either way it's fine if you guys want to take the time to work with them, but I will likely just hotlink lists if people don't give me enough data to work with (as popular opinion for a stranger is typically more accurate then my personal opinion without proper data to go off of) or just not respond (which seems like the better option since you guys are getting up in arms about me linking lists :p)

Mature

Hahaha. You're making opinions sound like some vague, ethereal concept where we need to have a neural handshake to truly know if they're fruitful. Their opinions already match up the second they say the first anime they enjoyed. Yeah, if a guy comes in here saying he loved Oreimo, I'm probably not the guy to point him in the direction of his next show. Their opinion is more useful than the popular vote because this is a forum where discussion happens and you can't have a discussion with MAL (at least not in English).

If somebody were to come in here and say "Hey, I adored Cowboy Bebop and I'd like to watch some more anime." What's going to help them more:
1. A list derived from ineffectively parsed data in a userbase that could lead them anywhere.
2. Someone recommending a few titles based off what they enjoyed that maybe share staff or narrative sensibilities.

And what do you mean "waste of time for those responding"? What do you think we're doing in here? Conducting some business practice that can't be interrupted? The best part of this thread is the dialogue between users that allow them to discover new shows.

Oh fuck me. I don't know if I can keep watching because I'm dying over here.

Sacred Seven just had somebody say "I don't know if there's a bad person who likes stones" when talking about the bad boy in the school, because he likes looking at stones. And the girl is part of some "Stone collecting club".

God. You've been hiding this gem from me aren't you?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So guys, it looks like I need to ask you for more money in order to include a Japanese language track to the poster. Don't worry though, Alexander O Smith will join the project for some reason.

But actually, what's going on is that we're switching artists because I don't think people would be satisfied with the final product that was delivered. Mockingbird posted an update here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126296288&postcount=16566

So instead we're going with a known quantity - the artist who did Mockingbird's Kiki poster:
It'll take longer, but hopefully we'll get a better product for it!

zulux21

Last time I posted in here people started arguing about whether FMA was better than FMA Brotherhood. Seems like I'm a bad omen here :p

:p
It's because anime fans tend to be passionate about shows they like. It's why in situations like recommendations for you, given you have so little data to work with I will go with popular opinion instead of my own, as I want you to have the best chance of enjoying what you watch next, and I know my personal opinion has less chance to match up with you then the opinion of the masses at this point.

Once you have more shows under your belt, or if you are looking for specific things, where I can limit choices down I am always more than happy to help someone find a new show to enjoy.

I mean even if you went into more details about what aspects of the shows you liked, it would help make recommendations a lot less of a blind guess.

Also, my personal recommendation would be to sign up for something like MAL to keep track of what you have seen. It's always nice to be able to hand all the data someone would need to properly recommend a show with a single link as you can not only track the shows you watched but rate them, so people can see your trends towards genre and then inquire about why you didn't like certain shows and then make a truly informed thought about recommendations. (heck I have recommended shows I hated to a number of people before... despite the hate I give working I have indeed recommended it to a few friends lol)

Hahaha. You're making opinions sound like some vague, ethereal concept where we need to have a neural handshake to truly know if they're fruitful. Their opinions already match up the second they say the first anime they enjoyed. Yeah, if a guy comes in here saying he loved Oreimo, I'm probably not the guy to point him in the direction of his next show. Their opinion is more useful than the popular vote because this is a forum where discussion happens and you can't have a discussion with MAL (at least not in English).

If somebody were to come in here and say "Hey, I adored Cowboy Bebop and I'd like to watch some more anime." What's going to help them more:
1. A list derived from ineffectively parsed data in a userbase that could lead them anywhere.
2. Someone recommending a few titles based off what they enjoyed that maybe share staff or narrative sensibilities.

And what do you mean "waste of time for those responding"? What do you think we're doing in here? Conducting some business practice that can't be interrupted? The best part of this thread is the dialogue between users that allow them to discover new shows.

Im going to go with... it will be about equal Cowboy bebop recommendations
oh look, samurai champloo, black lagoon, baccanno all in the top 5.

which is why it's a waste of time for those responding, because you can get around the same information from a quick list like that. If you want to take the time to respond that's all good but unless more details are provided up front the best you will be able to do is a quick list of shows similar, just like what mal provides without having to type.

Now if you came in here and said "Man I loved the direction cowboy bebop took as well as the music" rather than just saying cowboy bebop you are in completely different grounds. with that statement I could end up recommending kids on the slope, a show that likely won't show up for people who generally just say cowboy bebop.

Again, it's fine if you guys want to just throw shows out there for people, but I don't feel like you are really doing anything then pulling from that list from your own personal opinions (as every show recommended so far has been on those lists somewhere related to the shows he has seen) to truly get personal well informed opinions more data is needed.

it should come to no surprise that my field of study in college was in the field of science :p

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch 10

So much yuri-bait. Just... So much. I love this show. Btw, it seem like some time between this episode and the last one, Hiro got tentacle hair. How did she obtain such powers? I must find out! Or was it always like that? I never noticed it if so. Also, they seriously turned up the fanservice for this episode. So close to the end. =[ I almost want to stop watching right here and pretend that this show never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom