• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Duckroll recently due to my attention a episode of The Pegbar and Grill podcast (a podcast that focuses on interviewing people who work in animation) where they talk to AyaSuzuki, a English/Japanese animator who worked on The Illusionist, Wolf's Children, The Dream Machine and The Wind Rises, among other things.

This is probably one of the more informative interviews I've had on what it's like to work in the anime industry as it covers stuff like working hours, pay, working conditions, work flow, staffing, skill expectations etc etc. It's all very interesting.

Probably my favourite extract from the episode was when they asked Aya whether Hayo Miyazaki had seen The Illusionist and she said "He doesn't watch movies." "Takahata watches movies".
Finally had a listen, and we joke about poverty in anime, but the revelation that she made really showed the true nature of the poverty. A TV animator gets 20-30 pounds per scene, and is expected to do 50-70 scenes a month. I assume that living in a big city, where most of these studios are located, that is not a lot of money unless you live in a shoebox or something.

Film animators makes 200 pounds per scene, and she seems to suggest that's a much more comfortable rate to work at. But there's also a quality difference between a TV animator and a movie animator, so I assume that most animators are just grinders stuck doing TV for the rest of their lives unless they get a big break. With the "suspension" of Ghibli, I almost wonder if all their animators are going to have to "step down" to TV work, since I can't imagine that there would be something else to fill that void in the near future.

fertygo

Looking back to argument about Aria in back page.

Pretty sure the same people that complaining about the happy gaga tone making point against that if similar point addressed to K-ON lol.
Aria: The Origination 3

Wasn't too hot on this episode. I do like the cafe owner though.

Worst episode, after this all episode is far better though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looking back to argument about Aria in back page.

Pretty sure the same people that complaining about the happy gaga tone making point against that if similar point addressed to K-ON lol.
I'd like to think it's not a coincidence that Yoshida worked on both.

(Although I find it sad/funny that Okada also did some Aria scripts)

zulux21

Finally had a listen, and we joke about poverty in anime, but the revelation that she made really showed the true nature of the poverty. A TV animator gets 20-30 pounds per scene, and is expected to do 50-70 scenes a month. I assume that living in a big city, where most of these studios are located, that is not a lot of money unless you live in a shoebox or something.

Film animators makes 200 pounds per scene, and she seems to suggest that's a much more comfortable rate to work at. But there's also a quality difference between a TV animator and a movie animator, so I assume that most animators are just grinders stuck doing TV for the rest of their lives unless they get a big break. With the "suspension" of Ghibli, I almost wonder if all their animators are going to have to "step down" to TV work, since I can't imagine that there would be something else to fill that void in the near future.

There are companies not named ghibli that make anime movies still... I imagine there will be some drops though.

More so I am curious how the payment works with CG stuff... as I imagine that as the years go on and CG gets cheaper and cheaper we will see more and more companies adapting it for anime series :/

Mokoi

Banned
So guys, it looks like I need to ask you for more money in order to include a Japanese language track to the poster. Don't worry though, Alexander O Smith will join the project for some reason.

But actually, what's going on is that we're switching artists because I don't think people would be satisfied with the final product that was delivered. Mockingbird posted an update here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=16566

So instead we're going with a known quantity - the artist who did Mockingbird's Kiki poster:
It'll take longer, but hopefully we'll get a better product for it!

Cool, I don't mind waiting. Look forward to what the new artist presents. That Kiki poster looks really nice, so it should be a nice poster.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are companies not named ghibli that make anime movies still... I imagine there will be some drops though.

More so I am curious how the payment works with CG stuff... as I imagine that as the years go on and CG gets cheaper and cheaper we will see more and more companies adapting it for anime series :/
Well, you still need CG animators. I wonder if you're a Japanese kid, which direction you go though. From all reports, working in Japanese games is about as poverty inducing as working in anime because there's a huge supply of nerds who want to work in their hobby (interestingly enough, the person on that podcast said that she didn't find animating "fun" to do any more), but I assume CG at least gives you a chance to work in both sectors. Maybe what will happen is that 2d animation becomes something for the top tier talent and everyone else just makes a living doing 3d art/animation as contractors between anime/game projects.

The joke, of course, is that you can win an Oscar for special effects and then have your company go bankrupt in the same year, so being an animator of any kind is probably a losing proposition at some point.

Cool, I don't mind waiting. Look forward to what the new artist presents. That Kiki poster looks really nice, so it should be a nice poster.
Yep. It's going to be an Akari focused poster, but we could always do another one if there's some demand for it.

Droplet

That being said Black Lagoon is always overlooked as a great starting anime and is sorely missing from both of those lists ><;

Black Lagoon is like a crappy American action flick, but written by anime writers. They should watch Infinite Ryvius, it's like Lord of the Flies, but in space and with teenage angst. Also I guess it's not really about devolution because
everyone was already crazy to begin with
. Actually I'm not really sure why people make that comparison to begin with.

I would probably recommend Moribito, Planetes, Mushishi, or House of Five Leaves if somebody asked me for easy shows to get into, but it usually requires somebody specifying that they don't want to lose brain cells while watching. Otherwise it's easy to bring up the usual Attack on Titan, Death Note, Code Geass, SAO, etc. It's hard to know what people will enjoy without knowing what they've enjoyed in general, and if they haven't watched much anime there's not much to say.

People have sexual desires. I don't think it's really a big deal, and I feel like it kind of has to be noted that the purpose of Free! is to cater to fantasy. It's healthy to want to be inseminated. Free! panders under this creepy guise of sincerity though, prioritizing elements that only serve the erotic doujin market over anything that would make the show itself worthwhile. It has cast aside any notion that the caricatures its peddling serve a purpose outside of titillation, but it operates under this boring notion that it is a slow drama.

I agree the show exists to pander but that's harsh for a fairly innocuous episode about one of the characters probably learning about what they wanted to do with their future. I think you can say what you want about the intentions behind the characters, but I'm not sure you could say a character having difficulties with their grades or having sports related injuries is some kind of turn on. Anyway, I won't bring it up anymore, it was just a choice of words that caught me off guard.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think some people putting Aria in same space to such like Mushishi or Kino rather than K-ON, hence the different sentiment.
Oh sure, it's probably closer to Mushishi/Kino/Natsume in tone and atmosphere, although the "high school" arc basically remains the same, with both series culminating in an emotional graduation.

Which eps that Okada write?
According to MAL: Aria the Natural - Script (eps 9, 10, 14, 23)

I agree the show exists to pander but that's harsh for a fairly innocuous episode about one of the characters probably learning about what they wanted to do with their future. I think you can say what you want about the intentions behind the characters, but I'm not sure you could say a character having difficulties with their grades or having sports related injuries is some kind of turn on. Anyway, I won't bring it up anymore, it was just a choice of words that caught me off guard.
It's moe for girls. I still find it fascinating that you could genderswap the characters and convince lots of male fans to watch it.

duckroll

But there's also a quality difference between a TV animator and a movie animator, so I assume that most animators are just grinders stuck doing TV for the rest of their lives unless they get a big break. With the "suspension" of Ghibli, I almost wonder if all their animators are going to have to "step down" to TV work, since I can't imagine that there would be something else to fill that void in the near future.

That's not true. Pay attention to what she says again. There isn't really anything that defines a "TV" or "movie" animator. Work is work. She also flat out says that you don't even have to be a particularly good animator to get a constant stream of work because there's just so much available, as long as you're able to finish it. She's even surprised that as a total amateur in the industry, she was offered the same pay as some of the masters who are so much more experienced.

Clov

This month sucks.

Anyone have any happy anime to recommend?

You're a Lucky Star fan; have you tried the spin-off, Miyakawa-ke? If you want something especially sweet, you could go for Ichigo Mashimaro or A Little Snow Fairy Sugar. If you like watching cats do silly things, there's Chi's Sweet Home.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's not true. Pay attention to what she says again. There isn't really anything that defines a "TV" or "movie" animator. Work is work. She also flat out says that you don't even have to be a particularly good animator to get a constant stream of work because there's just so much available, as long as you're able to finish it. She's even surprised that as a total amateur in the industry, she was offered the same pay as some of the masters who are so much more experienced.
No, at the end of the show, she clearly makes a delineation between the two and emphatically states she would never work in TV animation. Although part of it is because she would be asked to do "hold cells", which she doesn't consider animation. (I have no idea what those are, but I assume it's something that she looks down on if she doesn't want to do it as an animator).

Heck, she even flat out says that film animators are of a higher pedigree than tv animators. Yes, she was surprised that she gets paid the same as veterans working at her level... but she also makes it pretty clear there's a difference between working with Miyazaki and Hosoda and the dudes at Shaft and Bones grunting out moeblobs for a living.

This month sucks.

Well we just talking about Aria
Aria is the best choice!

Droplet

It's moe for girls. I still find it fascinating that you could genderswap the characters and convince lots of male fans to watch it.

No joke, I have a male friend who watches it because he likes the characters. His favorite shows are K-on! and pretty much anything with "cute little girls". And every time a new episode comes out the only character he talks about is the little sister.

I don't get it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No joke, I have a male friend who watches it because he likes the characters. His favorite shows are K-on! and pretty much anything with "cute little girls". And every time a new episode comes out the only character he talks about is the little sister.

I don't get it.
That's just weird because the whole point of the little sister is to be a non-threatening audience surrogate for the fujyoshi watching the show. She is the zoo-keeper who keeps an eye on her pet lions as they frolic with each other in a homosocial but still semi-heterosexual manner.

Clov

I don't get it.

Is your friend Mikoshiba?

zulux21

I would probably recommend Moribito, Planetes, Mushishi, or House of Five Leaves if somebody asked me for easy shows to get into,

heh I have seen the first episode of moribito and have every plan to watch it as I liked it but I couldn't get motivated to watch it.

I watched all of planetes and while overall I enjoyed it the first so many eps were hard to get through and kind of boring.

I have seen the first half of mushishi and liked it enough to give it a 10 on MAL... but haven't gotten around to finish it yet.

I watched the first few episodes of house of five leaves and again didn't mind them but haven't finished it.

for me I couldn't consider any of those as easy shows to get into as while I enjoyed them they didn't manage to hook me to make me want to continue watching lol.
(other shows that fall in this category for me (shows I have enjoyed what I have seen but just haven't been motivated to finish)... Shana, Monster and samurai seven)
meanwhile
Attack on Titan, Death Note, Code Geass, SAO
I watched attack on titan the day it aired the whole time it came out
I watched death note as it came out.
I was late to code geass but I finished the series in 3 days (both the first and second seasons)
I was late to SOA but I finished the series in 3 days :p

anways I have to leave for work in 8 hours so I should likely head to bed instead of typing up a storm in this thread lol.

Link Man

Banned
This month sucks.

Are you watching Hanayamata? Cause if not, that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, looks like Noragami is on Netflix now. Is that new news?

Also also, think I'll be canceling my Netflix, subscription would end at the end of the month. Think that would be enough time to watch the entirety of Fate/Zero?

duckroll

No, at the end of the show, she clearly makes a delineation between the two and emphatically states she would never work in TV animation. Although part of it is because she would be asked to do "hold cells", which she doesn't consider animation. (I have no idea what those are, but I assume it's something that she looks down on if she doesn't want to do it as an animator).

She's talking about herself. She doesn't work on TV animation because she doesn't think she can survive on it with her work speed. It's something that keeps coming up. She prefers longer term contract jobs which film productions can afford to pay. She repeatedly says that she is not indicative at all of the average animator in Japan who generally does both movie and TV animation work, and anything that comes their way. A lot of them, both good and average, are able to turn in work much faster can hence can make even more money that way. I guess another thing she doesn't mention (probably because she hasn't actually done it yet) is that animators who build up a large enough portfolio and have the connections move up to "animation direction" as well which pays a lot more and you basically do correction work for TV episodes. There are very, very few "movie only" animators in the Japanese anime industry.

Also also, think I'll be canceling my Netflix, subscription would end at the end of the month. Think that would be enough time to watch the entirety of Fate/Zero?

if you marathon it? Yeah. I gotta watch the latest season of Sons of Anarchy. each episode is like at minimum 50 minutes and there's 13. I should be done in a week if I do it 1 or 2 per day. So with FZ, you should have 27 episodes I think.

zulux21

It depends how much free time you have, I mean it's only 25 episodes...
even if you go up and take them as 30 minutes each (making the first ep 60) that is still only 13.5 hours or a single Saturday binge watch o_O

thus personally I think you should easily be able to do it, though I also managed to watch the first 110 episode of one piece in around 50 hours so yeah lol. (that is about 47.5 hours of anime the other 2.5 hours was a nap and eating :p)

I need to sit down and watch fate zero myself... I would have already but my wife wants to watch it with me and recently we are spending out time together playing xillia or watching person of interest instead ><;

fertygo

Oh sure, it's probably closer to Mushishi/Kino/Natsume in tone and atmosphere, although the "high school" arc basically remains the same, with both series culminating in an emotional graduation.
Yep, I could argue Aria isn't all that happy weeppy, but I think its more rightful to say Aria is just bishoujo in high school anime with fancier setting lol
According to MAL: Aria the Natural - Script (eps 9, 10, 14, 23)
I'm surprised she didn't write eps 20/21

Free! fascinate me with the use of ojousama stereotype on male character, down to ohohohoho laugh (the glasses guy)
First time I seen it lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She's talking about herself. She doesn't work on TV animation because she doesn't think she can survive on it with her work speed. It's something that keeps coming up. She prefers longer term contract jobs which film productions can afford to pay. She repeatedly says that she is not indicative at all of the average animator in Japan who generally does both movie and TV animation work, and anything that comes their way. A lot of them, both good and average, are able to turn in work much faster can hence can make even more money that way. I guess another thing she doesn't mention (probably because she hasn't actually done it yet) is that animators who build up a large enough portfolio and have the connections move up to "animation direction" as well which pays a lot more and you basically do correction work for TV episodes.
Well, she also talks about contractors who take two jobs at once (although I have no idea how that works logistically, especially if you are hiding the job from each employer), but if the point is that you need to basically sleep at your desk like the stereotype of the Japanese wage-slave, that's probably akin to minimum wage job where you work more than you do anything else at that point just to make ends meet.

Branduil

Black Lagoon is like a crappy American action flick, but written by anime writers. They should watch Infinite Ryvius, it's like Lord of the Flies, but in space and with teenage angst. Also I guess it's not really about devolution because

I would probably recommend Moribito, Planetes, Mushishi, or House of Five Leaves if somebody asked me for easy shows to get into, but it usually requires somebody specifying that they don't want to lose brain cells while watching. Otherwise it's easy to bring up the usual Attack on Titan, Death Note, Code Geass, SAO, etc. It's hard to know what people will enjoy without knowing what they've enjoyed in general, and if they haven't watched much anime there's not much to say.

Black Lagoon is fun because it knows what it wants to be, and does it well. It's actually fairly well-written by anime standards, it just deliberately chooses to invoke ridiculous movie tropes.

Infinite Ryvius was a good show. It's rare for a show with such a large cast to work so well.
And the childhood friend wins, so that's unique.
Never will understand why Yuki had to be such a douchebag all the time, though. It's too bad Gorou Taniguchi is basically known as the director of Code Geass now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, I could argue Aria isn't all that happy weeppy, but I think its more rightful to say Aria is just bishoujo in high school anime with fancier setting lol
I'm surprised she didn't write eps 20/21
I had to look up those episodes. :p

Free! fascinate me with the use of ojousama stereotype on male character, down to ohohohoho laugh (the glasses guy)
First time I seen it lol
You know, I didn't even think about that. But it's true!

duckroll

Well, she also talks about contractors who take two jobs at once (although I have no idea how that works logistically, especially if you are hiding the job from each employer), but if the point is that you need to basically sleep at your desk like the stereotype of the Japanese wage-slave, that's probably akin to minimum wage job where you work more than you do anything else at that point just to make ends meet.

I think it varies from person to person why they do something. For some obviously it's a lot of extra money (just think, if she can survive working just one contract at a time, what about someone who gets twice or three times as much with multiple contracts?), but there are also those who simply like the work so much they take as much as they can until they actually have to decline job offers they want because they can't do them.

Quasar

News to me.

Also also, think I'll be canceling my Netflix, subscription would end at the end of the month.

I've thought about that too. I basically never use it but still keep it around for some reason. I guess if they decided to do more exclusives like Sidonia I'll need to keep it around.

Link Man

Banned
News to me.

I've thought about that too. I basically never use it but still keep it around for some reason. I guess if they decided to do more exclusives like Sidonia I'll need to keep it around.

I just finished Season 2 of Clone Wars, only reason I was really using it. I figure when I want to finish the series, I can just sign on for another month and do so then. It's only $9.

That's where recommendations go off in here if you had genuinely given him those shows. If he's new to anime and is enjoying shows that are relatively less-anime but with action, you don't immediately go to the slow burn shows such as Mushishi or Planetes. I could have recommended Space Brothers, but I didn't. Black Lagoon works because it deliberately mixes western and japanese action tropes into one. I mean we have a terminator maid, and a bunch of badass church folks and twin vampire-like kids with a minigun. Not to mention a samurai in a world full of guns. It's entirely for action junkies who want a fairly well-written seinen show filled with action. I think the least ridiculous arc was the Nazi arc.

And somehow now I feel sad that Ben-to! could've been so much more like Black Lagoon if it wasn't for the lewd. They had a perfectly fun premise, but brought in lewd and deres and that annoying girl who slapped the MC.

Branduil

She's talking about herself. She doesn't work on TV animation because she doesn't think she can survive on it with her work speed. It's something that keeps coming up. She prefers longer term contract jobs which film productions can afford to pay. She repeatedly says that she is not indicative at all of the average animator in Japan who generally does both movie and TV animation work, and anything that comes their way. A lot of them, both good and average, are able to turn in work much faster can hence can make even more money that way. I guess another thing she doesn't mention (probably because she hasn't actually done it yet) is that animators who build up a large enough portfolio and have the connections move up to "animation direction" as well which pays a lot more and you basically do correction work for TV episodes. There are very, very few "movie only" animators in the Japanese anime industry.

It's interesting that a lot of animators who can or do work as animation directors still often do animation work. I guess if you really love animating, you'll always want to do it.

duckroll

It's interesting that a lot of animators who can or do work as animation directors still often do animation work. I guess if you really love animating, you'll always want to do it.

If you really love animating, you'll rather do animation work than animation direction I feel. It might pay a lot better, but correcting stuff all day doesn't sound like much fun creatively. What's interesting though, is that animators who go on to actual direction (storyboarding, unit direction, actual direction, etc) are a lot less likely to return to doing animation work if they have a stable flow of work. It's creatively fulfilling, you get much more control over what you want to do, and the pay is so much better.

Quasar

I just finished Season 2 of Clone Wars, only reason I was really using it. I figure when I want to finish the series, I can just sign on for another month and do so then. It's only $9.

That's probably my reason. Its only 9$ and I might find something to watch and find the time one day.

Branduil

If you really love animating, you'll rather do animation work than animation direction I feel. It might pay a lot better, but correcting stuff all day doesn't sound like much fun creatively. What's interesting though, is that animators who go on to actual direction (storyboarding, unit direction, actual direction, etc) are a lot less likely to return to doing animation work if they have a stable flow of work. It's creatively fulfilling, you get much more control over what you want to do, and the pay is so much better.

Yeah, I'm reminded of how much "fun" Yoh Yoshinari looked like he was having correcting the young animators in that LWA documentary, LOL.

Actual directing would certainly be more creatively fulfilling, but it's also very different from animating. It requires many more skillsets that don't necessarily flow just from knowing how to animate, so there's no guarantee a good animator will also be a good director. I guess that's why you'd usually have them cut their teeth storyboarding and/or directing individual episodes of TV series. With animation direction it's a more direct correlation between being good at animation and knowing how to correct other people's animation.

Thoraxes

Texhnolyze 01

Note to self: If someone sticks a fingernail into your eye defending yourself is apparently not a good idea.

I assume this is some GITS kind of deal because he wasn't hurt and her hand looked like ripped of a mannequin.

If you told me beforehand that I would watch a 10 minute no dialogue sequence and not feel bored at any point I would laugh at you. Hamasaki has this weirdly captivating way of directing that makes even mundane shots interesting. I thought I would have a break from lewd after SW and Diebuster but boy was I wrong. Completely forgot about similar bits in Shigurui. On to the next one

More people watching Texhnolyze makes me really happy. The world direction and way everything is conveyed without words is superb.

It's too bad Gorou Taniguchi is basically known as the director of Code Geass now.
It's weird how he hasn't really done a whole lot (anime wise) since then. Surely Sunrise and other studios have been shoving money at him.

Edit: I see that he wrote a Code Geass extended universe manga between 2010 and 2013. That'll probably get adapted after Code Geass: Akito the Exiled is finished.

Droplet

That's where recommendations go off in here if you had genuinely given him those shows. If he's new to anime and is enjoying shows that are relatively less-anime but with action, you don't immediately go to the slow burn shows such as Mushishi or Planetes. I could have recommended Space Brothers, but I didn't. Black Lagoon works because it deliberately mixes western and japanese action tropes into one. I mean we have a terminator maid, and a bunch of badass church folks and twin vampire-like kids with a minigun. Not to mention a samurai in a world full of guns. It's entirely for action junkies who want a fairly well-written seinen show filled with action. I think the least ridiculous arc was the Nazi arc.

And somehow now I feel sad that Ben-to! could've been so much more like Black Lagoon if it wasn't for the lewd. They had a perfectly fun premise, but brought in lewd and deres and that annoying girl who slapped the MC.

Well sure, I mean the first shows I'd recommend to anyone if they said nothing about themselves would be Baccano!, FMA Brotherhood, and Cowboy Bebop. I thought a long time about the shows I would recommend to somebody who asked me for an anime devoid of the typical anime tropes, and the slow burn ones were the only ones I could think of after he said he didn't like Fate/Zero for being tropey. On the other hand, I have a roommate who really likes melodramatic romantic dramas like the Notebook, and one of my other roommates got her to watch Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and she loves it.

Black Lagoon gets to me because so many people I knew heralded it as this great action show, but when I watched it all I got were a bunch of Kill Bill characters shoehorned into some strange American action movie, complete with the not very interesting POV character, the burly but knowledgeable black guy, and the token spy-thriller "hacker guy". I'll be honest, I haven't seen the second season yet, and I've heard that's better so I'll refrain from judging the show too harshly.

Branduil

It's weird how he hasn't really done a whole lot (anime wise) since then. Surely Sunrise and other studios have been shoving money at him.

Given how insane the workload can be in the anime industry, I'm not at all surprised that successful directors are often less prolific.

Thoraxes

Hidamari Sketch 9

Damn this show is too damn cute. I had to take a few days off to recuperate from all the hnngs. Immediately, Miya's awesomeness is apparent. I love that alarm clock. Also, i'm not sure if I asked this before or not, but what is that weird green thing they keep showing? Is it a rooster? Is it Charlie in his green man costume? What the heck is it? And dammit Miya can you stop being so amazing? You're completely stealing the show from what's-her-face! ...The one that's not Miya.
You're not going to make it out alive at this rate. Me and cajun barley survived.
I don't know if I'd call it a parody but the troll OP for that one Sunrise show no one but me or duckroll remembers is still pretty amusing to me.

Squall was okay. Glad T&B did way better though lol

duckroll

Edit: I see that he wrote a Code Geass extended universe manga between 2010 and 2013. That'll probably get adapted after Code Geass: Akito the Exiled is finished.

Taniguchi has evolved beyond the simple director. That's the explanation. He proved with Code Geass that he could create and spearhead a hit new IP. Now he can sit back as a "Creative Producer" or "Concept" guy for various productions without doing much hands on stuff day to day. Why work when you can get other people to work and get paid for it. :)

Well sure, I mean the first shows I'd recommend to anyone if they said nothing about themselves would be Baccano!, FMA Brotherhood, and Cowboy Bebop. I thought a long time about the shows I would recommend to somebody who asked me for an anime devoid of the typical anime tropes, and the slow burn ones were the only ones I could think of after he said he didn't like Fate/Zero for being tropey. On the other hand, I have a roommate who really likes melodramatic romantic dramas like the Notebook, and one of my other roommates got her to watch Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and she loves it.

Black Lagoon gets to me because so many people I knew heralded it as this great action show, but when I watched it all I got were a bunch of Kill Bill characters shoehorned into some strange American action movie, complete with the not very interesting POV character, the burly but knowledgeable black guy, and the token spy-thriller "hacker guy". I'll be honest, I haven't seen the second season yet, and I've heard that's better so I'll refrain from judging the show too harshly.

Second season is definitely better but the jump in quality isn't going to be far off. There's a bit more 'Kill Bill' like characters introduced, but if you didn't enjoy the later half of the first season I'd say it's not worth it. As to Rock being the boring POV character, he's the necessary newbie character who gets immersed in the new world. You can't really blame the author for introducing him there when it's pretty standard writing, the good thing is that it's a seinen so instead of having him become stronger as the show goes on he simply shows his worth and slowly becomes more and more accustomed to the violence and depravity, eventually leading other characters to call him out on his cold attitude towards stuff that happens in the day to day basis. Guess the message was 'put a regular joe in this world and within some time he'll fit right in'.

From the sound of it, the show was overhyped for you which is a shame as that's a killer. It really is just supposed to be an anime filled with ridiculous western action cliches with a spice of anime tropes. Very grindhouse in its presentation and I love those. I tend to not overhype shows for friends so they judge it on their own merits. I watched FZ with two friends recently and I never mentioned how much I loved the show, but by the time we were finished they both loved the shit out of it too. Probably helped I was there to answer questions about the mechanics of the war and powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom