• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Yeah, I'm reminded of how much "fun" Yoh Yoshinari looked like he was having correcting the young animators in that LWA documentary, LOL.

Actual directing would certainly be more creatively fulfilling, but it's also very different from animating. It requires many more skillsets that don't necessarily flow just from knowing how to animate, so there's no guarantee a good animator will also be a good director. I guess that's why you'd usually have them cut their teeth storyboarding and/or directing individual episodes of TV series. With animation direction it's a more direct correlation between being good at animation and knowing how to correct other people's animation.

Being a good animator is definitely not an assurance that someone will make a good director, but those who do succeed at becoming directors who continue to get work tend to not go back to animation much, if at all. They might animate something they're already directing just for fun, but you won't see them doing just animation work on other productions, because they already have their hands full with storyboards and directing. Ando is a fantastic animator for example, but now we see his talent for that through the lens of his storyboards, rather than actual animation work.

Branduil

In other news,

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...r-box-office-failure-of-when-marnie-was-there

Toshio Suzuki, the 66-year-old former president of Studio Ghibli, talked to the press and gave his opinion on the box office failure of the studio's latest anime film When Marnie Was There...

Suzuki believed the biggest reason for the underwhelming performance was the producer of Marnie, 37-year-old Yoshiaki Nishimura's wrong marketing strategy.

I really can't figure out why young talent doesn't flock to Studio Ghibli. It is a mystery.

Link Man

Banned
Arakawa Under the Bridge^2 5

Took a bit of a break from this series, not sure why.

One Piece reference. Of course.

I'm surprised Charles Shulz's estate didn't catch wind of this...

Holy crap at this animation!

Man, I really needed that. Fun episode all around.

wonzo

Banned
tumblr_na2e59yT031qghmqdo1_1280.png

tumblr_na6qw6of5X1qghmqdo1_1280.png

Branduil

Being a good animator is definitely not an assurance that someone will make a good director, but those who do succeed at becoming directors who continue to get work tend to not go back to animation much, if at all. They might animate something they're already directing just for fun, but you won't see them doing just animation work on other productions, because they already have their hands full with storyboards and directing. Ando is a fantastic animator for example, but now we see his talent for that through the lens of his storyboards, rather than actual animation work.

Yeah, directing is a super-full-time job. You have to worry about the storyboards, the script, the art direction, the sound mix, the voice acting, etc. I imagine animation directing isn't as intense but is also a lot less creatively fulfilling.

Aria: The Animation 01

What a relaxing anime. Something I really needed after today's events.

The setting is a new take on Venice with water canals throughout the city on another planet that has been made hospitable by humans. It was so relaxing just watching them ride the gondola through the city. It even told a story with a purpose that ended on a heartwarming note. A great first episode and I can't wait to watch more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it varies from person to person why they do something. For some obviously it's a lot of extra money (just think, if she can survive working just one contract at a time, what about someone who gets twice or three times as much with multiple contracts?), but there are also those who simply like the work so much they take as much as they can until they actually have to decline job offers they want because they can't do them.
I guess I'm more inclined to believe they live off of ramen packets and sleep under their desks or in boxes. lol

Hell yes, still made me smile to this day lol
They should find a way to give him princess curls/drill hair.

Droplet

"It turns out we were the Mars of Destruction all along," -Shinji Ikari, Gunbuster

"Shinji, We really Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day." -Kirito, Love Lab

Once I rounded up a couple friends and marathoned all of Another just to watch the pillar gif in context. It was worth it.

In other news,

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...r-box-office-failure-of-when-marnie-was-there

I really can't figure out why young talent doesn't flock to Studio Ghibli. It is a mystery.
However, a marketing campaign to promote the film was mainly focused on junior high or high school girls.
The target of the TV CMs for the film are narrowed down too much to junior and senior high school girls.
Hmmm.

It's hard to draw any conclusions why the film performed poorly without more information.

Edit:
Chobits Ep. 1 - 4

Not sure what to make of this so far. The protagonist being ragingly insecure is more annoying than funny at this point, but I think it helps take away from the gratification that this premise lends itself to. There's some potential here and it remains to be seen how much it will live up to that potential. At most I can hope this will prove to be a watered down version of Her.

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch 11

Holy crap I totally forgot that this show was about them being at an art school. >_>
Their teacher is great... "eternally 17" lol. This episode ended up raising more questions about her than answering any. The zoo partof the episode was pretty good too but the half where they talk about the christmas cake was just so much better. It looks like the next episode will be the last one. I've been dreading this...

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch End

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH? Sae has a little sister? Oh god she's so cute. I totally wasn't ready for this. D: Heh, it's only fitting that they get a christmas cake from the christmas cake. So much feels from this episode! I hope that the little sister shows up again.

Final thoughts: I know that this show has been pretty well received before but I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this good. It was cute, it was relaxing, and it has just a bit of fanservice. This is definitely one of my favorite slice of life shows now. Thanks to Cajunator and Thoraxes for forcing me to watch this. <3

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hidamari Sketch End

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH? Sae has a little sister? Oh god she's so cute. I totally wasn't ready for this. D: Heh, it's only fitting that they get a christmas cake from the christmas cake. So much feels from this episode! I hope that the little sister shows up again.

Final thoughts: I know that this show has been pretty well received before but I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this good. It was cute, it was relaxing, and it has just a bit of fanservice. This is definitely one of my favorite slice of life shows now. Thanks to Cajunator and Thoraxes for forcing me to watch this. <3

Now look into the sequels.

Thoraxes

Hidamari Sketch End

Now you have a lot more to go!

× Hoshimittsu
× Honeycomb

Minus the specials, that's 37 more episodes!

Also Chika is a kugyuu!

Andrew J.

Oh fuck me. I don't know if I can keep watching because I'm dying over here.

Sacred Seven just had somebody say "I don't know if there's a bad person who likes stones" when talking about the bad boy in the school, because he likes looking at stones. And the girl is part of some "Stone collecting club".

God. You've been hiding this gem from me aren't you?

Maud Pie's favorite anime.

Roubjon

I haven't watched any anime except Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Netflix at all recently. I'm loving it, but I'm at the last season and will want something new to watch. What is the best of the best of the anime of the season of summer of 2014 y'all?

I've got a CrunchyRoll subscription, so I'm all set there.

I haven't watched any anime except Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Netflix at all recently. I'm loving it, but I'm at the last season and will want something new to watch. What is the best of the best of the anime of the season of summer of 2014 y'all?

Well if you're set on watching shows from the current season then I can only recommend Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun which is a comedy. Barakamon is also pretty well regarded around here, although I'm not following it.

Other than that I'm rather disappointed in the others shows or they aren't interesting me to begin with.

Why not watch something good from outside this season?

The best show this season is Shounen Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom