• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Legend of korra season 3 episode 3
This season is doing everything I thought they would do in season 1, talking more about mako and bolin's past, knowing whats going on in other regions of the avatar world(knowing that the republic is actually apart of a former ba sing se land) its all the world building that I loved about the avatar series.

Akame ga Kill! 08

Animation was weird this episode. I'm sure some intuitive people could already guess what would happen
But that next episode
dis gon be gud, entire reason I started watching this was to get to this arc

Sabagebu! 08

01872071b4.jpg

DON'T LOOK SINON

Well that was fairly lewd.
And fairly yuri.

BluWacky

Legend of korra season 3 episode 3
This season is doing everything I thought they would do in season 1, talking more about mako and bolin's past, knowing whats going on in other regions of the avatar world(knowing that the republic is actually apart of a former ba sing se land) its all the world building that I loved about the avatar series.

Is there anything I need to know from season 2 if I were to watch season 3? Lots of people have been saying it's vastly improved, but I didn't watch any of season 2 so I guess I wouldn't know the difference...

Bakemonogatari Episode 4

That weird opening, again..Also, talking about sounds, in the beginning of the episode they used a sound that reminded me of Clannad, I think. It was a repetition of six notes (I guess), but I couldn't remember where I heard something like that. I'm sure that I heard something at least similar, because I remember feeling sad when hearing this notes (I'm guessing that notes are the right way to call them, I guess)

Now, onto the episode:

I don't mind complicated stuff, but the way they talk about kanji really makes me question my intelligence.

About the girl, Hachikuji, I'm guessing that she'll be a problem soon. Nice episode, and I liked the part where they talked through the cellphone, it was very well made. Also,
best girl
Hanekawa appeared, for that the episode is a plus in my eyes.

Sabagebu 8

The ending for Maya was like almost shot for shot what happened to Akarin in YuruYuri towards the end of the first season when she was in a
drum that fell of a cliff.
The only difference here was that people were after Maya and everyone forgot about Akarin!

foxuzamaki

Is there anything I need to know from season 2 if I were to watch season 3? Lots of people have been saying it's vastly improved, but I didn't watch any of season 2 so I guess I wouldn't know the difference...

oh hell yes, you need to watch all of season 2, the stuff that happens in season 2 carries over into season 3

Who would have thought that a character who is basically another Doremi would be so charming? It's the design I tell ya, such a great design. Their interactions were the best.

Yes! Her design is so good. Based Umakoshi!

HeartCatch Precure 22
Itsuki won the Potpourri. It's over. My dream has come true. I called this way back at episode 7. Itsuki deserves this. This makes me really happy.

Injustiça.gif
Ban-kun was the rigth one. lol

So i've narrowed down the list of shows I want to watch after my operation. Along with Wolf's Rain, here's what I got.

Steins;Gate (Is this on Netflix?)
Fate Zero
Baccano
Spice and Wolf (On episode 6 before I stopped watching)
PsychoPass (Should I watch the show or the recut if I do decide to watch it?)
Noragami
Shinsekai Yori

Of those shows I want to narrow it down to 2 or 3 (Not including Wolf's Rain because I will be watching that regardless). If anyone can tell me their top 3 of the above shows I would appreciate it.

Gazoinks

So i've narrowed down the list of shows I want to watch after my operation. Along with Wolf's Rain, here's what I got.

Fate Zero
Baccano
Noragami
Shinsekai Yori

Of those shows I want to narrow it down to 2 or 3 (Not including Wolf's Rain because I will be watching that regardless). If anyone can tell me their top 3 of the above shows I would appreciate it.

Steins;Gate, Baccano, Fate/Zero. Shinsekai Yori is also great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill! Episode 8:

I do like in spite of all the girmdark elements this show clearly gets all its notes from the Big Book of Battle Shonen cliches.

cajunator

Banned

Fate Zero
Baccano
Noragami
Shinsekai Yori

Great list. Start with Steins Gate!

Sailor Moon 30

Lots of comedy hijinks. Usagi and Rei have an argument, but good thing they have tasty daifuku and monsters to fight. That fixes everything. And even Rei's grandpa
was a monster with a Rainbow Crystal, eh?

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 23
I'd be one thing if Itsuki was strong just because of her training in martial arts, but mid-air jumps? Hovering over water? A shield that can counter attack when put up? Sure Tsubomi and Erika have been having quite a few close calls lately, but this might as well be easy mode.

Glasslip 6

Show is still absolutely beautiful in animation and music. I like the characters and now it seems were finally getting a story that is moving past random pan shots and introducing characters and motivations. We have confrontation and problems presenting themselves and relationships starting to bloom. Wasn't sure where they were going these past 5 episodes and I honestly don't blame people for dropping it. I am just glad they are finally going somewhere with this.

Bakemonogatari episode 5

Senjougaraha Fascination, eh? Seems he wasn't wrong, after all.
I'm not talking about myself, by the way.

Very good episode with a nice twist to boot, started funny and ended with all those feels. The waltz scene was glorious, and I'm starting to like the protagonist. Senjougahara is still getting better, also.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 24
They remedied Precure Sunshine's powerful abilities by just allowing everyone to fly and made her ultimate move a homing variant so it can't miss. Although those capes that allow to fly come off a bit too easy. But they were fighting Dark Precure (whom they were able to land a hit on this time), so I guess it isn't fair to say that.

Glasslip 7

And here we go!

It's all connecting and starting to come together. Really slow start to this show but I think it's paying off now. Slowly getting better each episode now that everything is falling into place.

Space Dandy 21

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalm 23:4

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's nothing left
-Coolio

Doesn't matter where I go. Whether I'm alive or dead, I'm still pretty Dandy
-Space Dandy

So this might be my favorite episode of Dandy, solely on the visual aspect. And I gotta be honest, it might be my favorite 'mindfuck' episode of Dandy as well. I still don't entirely get what was going on but at face value on first watch looks like
Dandy is entering a planet through a nebula when a sudden movement makes him trip, hit his head on the dashboard and enter limbo/death. That takes him to the planet's surface, filled with 'inhabitants' that are all dead. Most of these are aware of their death and even though they have no sadness they discuss, in a very existentialist fashion, the futility of life if it only leads to death and whether acceptance is realistic.Then Dandy meets the personification of the planet, a lonely girl, who may have discovered that Dandy is special (similar to his special status for the war), and knows that the one she was looking for is Dandy. Dandy claims that she's a beautiful planet and she claims that she can restore him to another dimension

Anybody who has seen the episode who knows what happened at the end care to explain?
Did she not send Dandy back? Or was there a special meaning to him coming back all suited up to meet her again?

But enough about plot discussions, the episode was filled with incredibly relaxing music, and beautiful visuals. One instance of music in particular I loved, with the angel playing the shamisen, her music was evocative to that of Spaghetti westerns which makes complete sense as the particular scene was in a desert and involved a chase. Fucking beautiful.

Whether they were done on purpose or not, I couldn't help but notice some similarities in images in the show and other images in popular stories/mtythologies and culture. For instance:
hycgYOe.png
bgl4qei.jpg

Dandy's outfit and boat, to that of the River Styx and Charon its Ferryman

and

OYBpdME.png
8Cm8f10.jpg

The 'Warden' and the monster in Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth

While there's no guarantee these were the allusions they were going for, I found them very similar. I can't stress how beautiful and stylish this episode was, even if you don't watch Space Dandy do yourself a favor and watch it, even if solely on a technical aspect as it's 100% likely I completely missed the message, metaphors and any other deep meanings behind visual cues on what the episode was about. It was that brilliant of an episode. And the music. Oh that music. I want to make love to it, baby.

God damn I need this blu-ray and OST.

foxuzamaki

The legend of Korra season 3 episode 5
I didnt expect this for Lin's backstory :(
But Toph is alive! yay! Hope we get to meet her, ontop of that I hope we see a adult Zuko before he gets old in a flashback or something.

Jex

Bakemonogatari episode 5

Senjougaraha Fascination, eh? Seems he wasn't wrong, after all.
I'm not talking about myself, by the way.

Very good episode with a nice twist to boot, started funny and ended with all those feels. The waltz scene was glorious, and I'm starting to like the protagonist. Senjougahara is still getting better, also.

Don't worry, just give him time and you'll find your disdain for him growing!

Midonin

Nozaki 08

Gender is not an issue when it comes to casting for theater, and Hori gets up on a soapbox about soapboxes. The dynamic between these two is pretty fun, and Nozaki's inability to draw backgrounds amused me the most out of anything this episode. He's clearly not going for a Shaft-like abstract art, so having no defined sense of place does present a pretty huge problem.

Crocodile

Akame ga Kill 08

I was bagging on this show earlier but even I have to give credit where credit is due, this is a legit great episode. I dunno if this series will keep this up or fall back into mediocrity but even for all the cliches I thought they hit it out of the park with this one. Shit felt EARNED!

I still really wish the art and characters designs were less "anime" though :/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill 08

I was bagging on this show earlier but even I have to give credit where credit is due, this is a legit great episode. I dunno if this series will keep this up or fall back into mediocrity but even for all the cliches I thought they hit it out of the park with this one. Shit felt EARNED!

While this will probably not be an amazing anime, its recent competency has been rather stunning.

foxuzamaki

Legend of Korra season 3 episode 6
This is seriously the best episode of the season so far, it delivered so hard, I didnt think it would pay off this well,
I cant believe it was her sister that gave lin her scar, and when Toph kept her daughter out of jail and tore up the police report I almost literally gasped, holy crap

Akame Ga Kill! 8

AAAANNNNIIIIKKKIIIIIII :(

I knew it would happen but I didnt think theyd kill another one off so quickly after the last one. Also surprised they were able to kill all 3 of Esdeaths crew.

About time Tatsumi got a weapon for himself but not like this. Not like this :(

Show is on a roll. Great stuff recently.

cajunator

Banned
Akame ga Kill 08

What is meant by this?

Akame ga Kill! 8

Bless you White Fox for making Esdese esdeses truly amazing.

I am dismayed over how poorly animated all the battles looked, but I'm satisfied with the VA performance and how the transformation sequence was given priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom