• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
Sword art Online 2 8
Well Sinon finally learned Kirito is a SAO survivor. It was annoying to see Kirito acting cutely. And did they really need that cut to show that he swam in the river naked. I'm just awaiting the Death Gun and Kirito fight so we can get this horrible arc over with

I wonder how people will feel if/when they adapt Mother's Rosario...

Nozaki-kun Episode 8

Man did I love this episode. Kashima's and Hori's interactions together are so good. They really made this episode so enjoyable. I ship them so hard. Nozaki's deadpan comedy is great as usual and so is Chiyo's reactions. This episode by far was the best one out of all the episodes currently for me.

Kashima and Hori are the best.

tumblr_nau0lrrvml1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

Narag

I wonder if at some point people stop thinking of it as flattery and start hating the other guy for essentially stealing their cuts.

Certainly there feels like some "grace period" before theft moves into loving homage, but even then, you probably should have a reason to basically copy another person's work beyond the fact that you personally happen to like it.

Glancing at ANN, it appears to be the same director?

Otherwise, I imagine the grace period gets compressed given the sheer amount of productions put out nowadays.

jman2050

Sabagebu 8

You'd think Momoka would have seen that coming the moment she heard it was a photo shoot.

Hey that last scene doesn't look familiar at all. Nope, not at all Akar-- I mean, Maya.

Nozaki-kun 8

The whole boxes segment was the funniest thing I've seen this season.

Why are people already reviewing the cowboy bebop blu-ray in Amazon? I understand reviewing the show yes, but that defeats the purpose since you're only reviewing the show, you're not reviewing the box set nor the improvements.

survivor

Banned
Pupipo
Finished watching this yesterday, pretty good stuff. Real talent in being able to take the short format of anime, the hurried dialogues and pacing and manage to tell a great and moving story mixing comedy and fantasy elements perfectly. Not to mention Rensuke Oshikiri habit of drawing creepy faces worked here far better than in High Score Girl.

Also bless 4 mins anime and the ability to blast through them pretty quickly. Makes picking up people's recommendations very easy.

jman2050

The direction of that barrel rolling scene in Sabagebu is so blatantly cribbed from YY that I don't see how anyone can call it a coincidence.

Branduil

Once it ends up in a Korean animated production of course. Well I guess that's not a joke but still applies!!!

Geez that's an old post. Anyways, while I was there I looked around a little bit and found this:

I feel bad for thinking of Izayoi when I saw this:

AWTCQl.jpg

0wPtil.jpg

I obviously couldn't have thought of this at the time, but Reki Kawahara really is only capable of writing about three different types of male characters. One category is the self-insert protagonist that inexplicably attracts all women. The second category is friendly but neutered older males, i.e. men who are no threat to the protagonist's harem(weirdly, Kayaba ends up in this category even though he murdered thousands of people, but this actually makes sense once you understand the next category). The final category is entirely made of slimy, unscrupulous monsters, men who only exist to creepily fawn over their unrequited loves and try to steal them from the protagonist in underhanded ways. These people are far worse even than a man who murdered thousands. It's very telling of how Reki Kawahara views the world.

Nozaki-Kun - 2

Haha, this Mikorin guy is the exact opposite of the "senpai notice me" trope. Gosh darn it Chiyo, notice your senpai already!

Also I legit laughed at the scene where they all had to paint the same picture. Good stuff.

Geez that's an old post. Anyways, while I was there I looked around a little bit and found this:

I obviously couldn't have thought of this at the time, but Reki Kawahara really is only capable of writing about three different types of male characters. One category is the self-insert protagonist that inexplicably attracts all women. The second category is friendly but neutered older males, i.e. men who are no threat to the protagonist's harem(weirdly, Kayaba ends up in this category even though he murdered thousands of people, but this actually makes sense once you understand the next category). The final category is entirely made of slimy, unscrupulous monsters, men who only exist to creepily fawn over their unrequited loves and try to steal them from the protagonist in underhanded ways. These people are far worse even than a man who murdered thousands. It's very telling of how Reki Kawahara views the world.

Stealing a waifu is the worst crime ever !

cajunator

Banned
Why are people already reviewing the cowboy bebop blu-ray in Amazon? I understand reviewing the show yes, but that defeats the purpose since you're only reviewing the show, you're not reviewing the box set nor the improvements.

happens a lot. People will review the show itself rather than the actual release quality.

Jintor

As to when he kicked the box, he was sleep deprived, and after all the shit of Nozaki making characters stand on boxes so the perspective would make sense he woke up only to see somebody standing on a box and since he hated it he attacked without thinking.

I love it when comedy shows can bring together the a plot and the b plot for one gigantic hilarious joke

cajunator

Banned

and that show was still way better than SAO.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 34
They really showed off Cure Moonlight's abilities here. My goodness. The entire episode was hype. Things will be taken slow again unless we're strictly going to 4v4 from now on, which I doubt since Dark Precure needs recovery time.

wonzo

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 8

gekkanshoujo8.jpg

show owns so much that i'm putting off the supposedly superior manga till this is done just because i'm worried it'd ruin it. :(

Pupipo
Finished watching this yesterday, pretty good stuff. Real talent in being able to take the short format of anime, the hurried dialogues and pacing and manage to tell a great and moving story mixing comedy and fantasy elements perfectly. Not to mention Rensuke Oshikiri habit of drawing creepy faces worked here far better than in High Score Girl.

Also bless 4 mins anime and the ability to blast through them pretty quickly. Makes picking up people's recommendations very easy.
( ´ 3 ` ) ~duckroll smells

Barakamon Episode 8

This was a splendid and sweet episode. Loved everything about it. Seeing Sensei's and Naru's father and daughter type of relationship develop is so heartwarming. It's also great to see Handa notice that even Naru gets lonely. To show that he actually cares. All the characters in the episode were enjoyable to watch as well.

Also my heart goes out to Hurkules. RIP man.

Midonin

Amazing Twins

According to its Wikipedia entry, the creators are hoping this can be made into a TV series. After seeing it, I'd be okay with that. From what I saw, there's a pleasant mix of drama, superpowers, comedy, cuteness and wistfulness to the whole ordeal. I'd be able to get a little more invested in it than Tokyo ESP, and I don't even think Tokyo ESP is that bad. The standout part was the theme songs. The ED is cute, and the OP has this classic feeling to it that I find irresistible.

Knowing Ayame looks up to a toku/superhero show hooked me from the start. One thought couldn't help but to cross my mind. "Captain Japan" sort of exists already. Battle Fever J was originally supposed to be a Captain America spinoff, similar to the Toei version of Spider-Man (Marvel has a partial credit on both), but in preprod it was changed so the suits remained vaguely Captain America-ish and the team was international, but that's as far as it went. Battle Japan is as close to a real Captain Japan as the world can have.

And there's a bit of Kamen Rider too, of course. Ayame's ultimate form having a red scarf is the truest sign of Rider Spirits. Anyone can have them. I've actually been (half-seriously) throwing around the idea of Mari Okada writing a superhero show, and if it's not through Toei, let it be through this. I know I'd support it.

whats wrong with that?

I assume the fact that the gay community and women interested in boy on boy action don't have enough lewd shows for themselves in anime, and one of the properties that was pretty yaoi didn't do any of the yaoi stuff besides implications I guess.

And I'm aware that there are many yuri shows yeah. But those seem to be more acceptable since it's a male dominated industry afaik, and I'd argue those are largely made for straight men over LGBT folks.

edit: then again yaoi shows might be made for women more than men, fuck if I know.

Quasar

The manga Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki has got me rewatching Lovely Complex. Such a fun show really is top tier romance anime for me.

Link Man

Banned
Fate/Zero S2E5

Well, that felt like an episode out of another anime. Kind of dull, and didn't add a whole lot to the story
unless Dead Apostles show up later, in which case, please no

Quasar

I assume the fact that the gay community and women interested in boy on boy action don't have enough lewd shows for themselves in anime, and one of the properties that was pretty yaoi didn't do any of the yaoi stuff besides implications I guess.

And I'm aware that there are many yuri shows yeah. But those seem to be more acceptable since it's a male dominated industry afaik, and I'd argue those are largely made for straight men over LGBT folks.

Is that an issue also of whats allowable to be broadcast in Japan?

whats wrong with that?
Going off jgminto's words, they turned the gay/queer characters straight for the anime.

edit: then again yaoi shows might be made for women more than men, fuck if I know.
A lot of "yuri" anime doesn't actually depict lesbians, at least not in any clear way.

Kyuur

Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a Miyazaki film before. I was never introduced as a kid and as I've grown up I have always heard of their esteem and quality. I saw Nausicaa as I was browsing after picking up a copy of the first season of 30 Rock and decided to pick it up partly because it was a Ghibli film but also because I was drawn to the cover art.

The designs of this world are simply astounding. It felt wonderfully alien in a way I haven't felt since encountering the Metroid series for the first time. Characters were refreshingly capable and sensible, especially Nausicaa herself. If I were to describe the plot and story telling in a single word I would use 'natural'. While I am fan of crazy nonsensical anime (my adoration for Imaishi runs strong still), watching something where the characters react so humanely also hits the right notes for me. They did a great job of making me feel empathy for the Ohmu right from the get go which I think makes the film so strong. Big fan of the animation work as well.

Hoping some of Ghibli's other films will draw me in as much as this one did.

Akame Ga Kill 8

While this felt super by the numbers it was still really well done. Tatsumi had to get a major power up before shit started getting real all around him and I look forward to see more of these imperial arms battles. It really is nice to have a shonen battle series where every battle feels significant because you know someone is going to perma die at the end. So many shonen series constantly cop out or find ways for characters to live and come back later or for multiple rematches to happen between the same two popular characters.

Also I got spoiled on something for way later in the series dunno if the anime will get to it or not, and it's not really a major spoiler (at least I don't think it is) more of an odd spoiler. If someone who's read the manga can answer a question I have about this I'd appreciate it

MANGA SPOILERS BELOW DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

So apparently Tatsumi and Mine start dating, blew my mind that the series would not pair Tatsumi and Akame. I guess it could still happen later especially if/when Mine is killed but I thought my eyes were going to fall out of my socket when I saw that.

END MANGA SPOILERS

Anyone want to clarify how significant if at all that spoiler is?

Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a Miyazaki film before.....

Hoping some of Ghibli's other films will draw me in as much as this one did.

You poor soul. How deprived of great films you have been.

Jokes aside, glad to see you enjoyed it as much as you did. Definitely check out other Ghibli/Miyazaki films. My personal recommendations:

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro
Laputa Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies (not Miyazaki)

If you watch more of them please do write up impressions.

Mahouka 21
A laidback role for Batmanniisama having him only operate a computer and some clairvoyance. More of an episode focused on the side characters. They caught the girl following them who is clearly of the Church of Oniisama. Then some cliches like Guy walking on girl changing and guy catching falling girl by the boob

MANGA SPOILERS BELOW DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

So apparently Tatsumi and Mine start dating, blew my mind that the series would not pair Tatsumi and Akame. I guess it could still happen later especially if/when Mine is killed but I thought my eyes were going to fall out of my socket when I saw that.

END MANGA SPOILERS

Anyone want to clarify how significant if at all that spoiler is?

For the anime? Probably none, since I doubt the anime will reach that far.

For the manga? Pray for the soul, because that's the mother of all death flags.

For the anime? Probably none, since I doubt the anime will reach that far.

For the manga? Pray for the soul, because that's the mother of all death flags.

Haha so then I guess it's a pretty recent development? Whelp lol my desire to catch up with the manga vs my desire to finish the anime first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom