• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME

giphy.gif

Branduil

Maybe I'm being too harsh. The show is really just taking film back to its roots and paying homage to where modern filmmaking really began.

The Birth of a Martian Nation.

OVAs (2) are covering Bugs II arc. Anime is covering Annex 1 arc

So someone who knows more about Terraformars and it's manga is there any reason why they didn't do a complete season 1 of the Bugs 2 arc and instead opted to do this 2 episode OVA?

Edit:Forgot to quote mankoto

I can tell Terra Formars is gonna be popular here

So someone who knows more about Terraformars and it's manga is there any reason why they didn't do a complete season 1 of the Bugs 2 arc and instead opted to do this 2 episode OVA?

It's not that long. Honestly I remember little to nothing about the beginning parts.
There's also a ship before that, they aren't showing that for some reason though.

cajunator

Banned
Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME

Ho-ly shit.

I can tell Terra Formars is gonna be popular here

It's not that long. Honestly I remember little to nothing about the beginning parts.
There's also a ship before that, they aren't showing that for some reason though.

I think the novelty of the hilarious racism will wear off pretty quickly and you'll be left with people who enjoy it for being a dumb shonen.

Edit: How long is not long? Would they not have been able to do a decently paced 13 episode series out of it?

How old is the creator of Terraformars? Because if he's like grandpa old then it can almost be endearing because he's from a different era that didn't know better. Like Tintin goes to the Congo era.
r8qLyXn.gif

I think the novelty of the hilarious racism will wear off pretty quickly and you'll be left with people who enjoy it for being a dumb shonen.

Edit: How long is not long? Would they not have been able to do a decently paced 13 episode series out of it?

I guess so, that series' popularity was lightning in a bottle. I picked it up then, when those images were floating around. I think only me and DTL still read it regularly lol. It's not that enjoyable either, I just keep up with it.
I think it was less then the first 10 chapters.

If ever there was a show deserving of its own OT to funnel discussion into, it's this.

I can't wait to see the OT name.

mankoto

Edit:Forgot to quote mankoto
Basically Bugs II sets up the entire story as Annex I is the actual story itself. Depending on how many episodes they plan to do, Bugs II might take up too much time (maybe 3 or 4 if done right, it'd only be a volume to cover). It's a shame the OVAs are really rushed though.

holy shit lol

I mean from my understanding of Japan being pretty exclusionary (to not use the word racist since I haven't really lived there) to other races, but man that cannot be cool in a modern world like this.

I have a friend who lived in Japan and worked in Disney, and he says that people would always want to take pictures with him. Maybe black people are a huge minority living there.

Sigh. As a black male, I've always had my issues with anime's portrayal of Africans/AA but I have a feeling this is going to push me over the edge.

Fucking Japan.

To be fair, there are black crew members fighting the roaches. Of course, one is a total bitch and the others are fodder.

branduil, did the ova cover the woman making fun of her genital mutilation?

We see her, but she didn't have any lines. It will probably be mentioned in the 2nd OVA.

This is such dangerous territory. Im scared.

If mods disapprove of the discussion or want it toned down, they'll say something. But considering that most people will be disgusted by the obvious racist implications, I don't see a major problem. I'm sure most complaints will have died down after a couple of episodes once folks realize it isn't going anywhere. One thing is for sure though if debates get heated, bans will occur.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 35
Going back to individual turns isn't going to beat them. Especially since Cure Moonlight can defeat all 3 signal handedly.

jgminto

Going off jgminto's words, they turned the gay/queer characters straight for the anime.

It's probably less turning straight than it is just not referencing it at all. It's all just removed basically. It was a pretty big part of the story too so it turns it into a butchered mess.

Crocodile

How old is the creator of Terraformars? Because if he's like grandpa old then it can almost be endearing because he's from a different era that didn't know better. Like Tintin goes to the Congo era.

The wonderful things about humans is that they, ideally, are pretty good at learning and changing with the right pressures. The author could be from 1795 and fell into a time warp into the present day - if he's been around long enough to get stuff published, he should know better. Of course, it seems the author is YOUNGER than me so.........yeah :/

I might if no one else will after a few episodes.

Why? You love throwing yourself into the fire or the way of stray "bullets" way too often dude :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Pupipo

Finished watching this yesterday, pretty good stuff. Real talent in being able to take the short format of anime, the hurried dialogues and pacing and manage to tell a great and moving story mixing comedy and fantasy elements perfectly. Not to mention Rensuke Oshikiri habit of drawing creepy faces worked here far better than in High Score Girl.

Also bless 4 mins anime and the ability to blast through them pretty quickly. Makes picking up people's recommendations very easy.

Pupipo! was a great little gem.

gdgd fairies 1

this show makes hyouka look like a dollar store keychain

uhhhhhhhh

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hatewatch is now a double entendre.

thTjTbZ.gif

Quasar

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

Wow. its one thing to have one or two crazy people with enough time to get such a manga printed in limited quantities, but a 'professional' anime? And Warner Bros putting its name to it too.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Now in the manga of terra formars, the reason the cockroaches are like that is because of this thing or person called
Rahab
If
Rahab
turns out to be a black person, I don't know what to think of the author anymore.

Wow. its one thing to have one or two crazy people with enough time to get such a manga printed in limited quantities, but a 'professional' anime? And Warner Bros putting its name to it too.

Like I said earlier the manga Vols sell a lot so it was inevitable for an anime to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom