• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Fate/Zero S2E6

Oh, it's continuing.

Fucking hell, jumping around the timeline? This is already starting out frustrating.

This flashback stuff is really boring. :(

I'm sorry to say that these two episodes did nothing for me, and I found them quite terrible.

cajunator

Banned
Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a Miyazaki film before. I was never introduced as a kid and as I've grown up I have always heard of their esteem and quality. I saw Nausicaa as I was browsing after picking up a copy of the first season of 30 Rock and decided to pick it up partly because it was a Ghibli film but also because I was drawn to the cover art.

The designs of this world are simply astounding. It felt wonderfully alien in a way I haven't felt since encountering the Metroid series for the first time. Characters were refreshingly capable and sensible, especially Nausicaa herself. If I were to describe the plot and story telling in a single word I would use 'natural'. While I am fan of crazy nonsensical anime (my adoration for Imaishi runs strong still), watching something where the characters react so humanely also hits the right notes for me. They did a great job of making me feel empathy for the Ohmu right from the get go which I think makes the film so strong. Big fan of the animation work as well.

Hoping some of Ghibli's other films will draw me in as much as this one did.

Watch Princess Mononoke right afterwards. Nausicaa is thought of as a sort of proto-Princess Mononoke, exploring the same ideals and themes in a quite different but more refined way. Oh man you are so lucky to be experiencing these films for the first time. What a treat!

jbug617

Banned
Akame Ga Kill 8

MANGA SPOILERS BELOW DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

So apparently Tatsumi and Mine start dating, blew my mind that the series would not pair Tatsumi and Akame. I guess it could still happen later especially if/when Mine is killed but I thought my eyes were going to fall out of my socket when I saw that.

END MANGA SPOILERS

Anyone want to clarify how significant if at all that spoiler is?

I have been following the wiki for the manga and
apparently Esdeath just found about Mine and Tatsumi so she probably going to die next.

Fate/Zero S2E6

Oh, it's continuing.

Fucking hell, jumping around the timeline? This is already starting out frustrating.

I'm sorry to say that these two episodes did nothing for me, and I found them quite terrible.

I'm sorry for you; the Kiritsugu backstory is one of the best parts of the whole show. It fleshes out his character quite nicely.

kasane

Whoa aldnoah

Im loving it

And regarding akame

SPOILERS

author made it a mistake in naming it akame ga kill, shes pretty irrelevant. My guess is she and tatsumi will be the only survivors or author really did a colossal fuck i
Up

Fate/Zero S2E6

Oh, it's continuing.

The flashback episodes are necessary, unlike the Rin episode, because they give you background on Kiritsugu and how he currently has his ideology and mission. They are entirely useful to expand on his character and more specifically because of shit that goes down later. Surprised you hated them, most people I know loved them.

Whoa aldnoah

Im loving it

And regarding akame

SPOILERS

I guess it might be because SPECULATION SPOILERS
her weapon is a bit TOO OP, pretty hard to give fights to a character who's weapon is basically a 1 touch instant death. Fights would either have to have characters with stupid fast reflexes, future sight, or completely covered in armor

wonzo

Banned
Yami Shibai S2 5-7

yamishibais27.jpg

First this show taught me the evils of air conditioners, dolls, trains, old elevators, dolls, suicidal forever alone friends that impregnate your wife with their soul, dolls, and now capsule toys?! arjuna was right

kasane

I guess it might be because SPECULATION SPOILERS
her weapon is a bit TOO OP, pretty hard to give fights to a character who's weapon is basically a 1 touch instant death. Fights would either have to have characters with stupid fast reflexes, future sight, or completely covered in armor
Well maybe

Im reading it just for the over the top stuff

It gotten to the point where im just lauging anticipating death flags

Its one of my favorites too.
Ive watched it near a hundred times at least.

J5xvIhH.gif

my favorite Ghibli film.

I don't know, I just kind of found it slow, boring and generic. Felt really out of place. Very little emotion, scenes seemed disjointed. Plus I really do not find
zombies
interesting.

Well it wasn't this fantastical battle between history and fantasy figures I'll give you that much, but up until that point in the series you haven't really explored Kiritsugu that much because of his role as a guy who stays out of the big picture. Kiritsugu is a man that shows little emotions that's why the closing scene of
him losing his shit after shooting down the plane
is more jarring because you don't even see him like that after
shooting his own father
. You weren't supposed to find the
zombies
interesting, just the way he was raised and how his world views were formed.

Link Man

Banned
I'm sorry for you; the Kiritsugu backstory is one of the best parts of the whole show. It fleshes out his character quite nicely.

The flashback episodes are necessary, unlike the Rin episode, because they give you background on Kiritsugu and how he currently has his ideology and mission. They are entirely useful to expand on his character and more specifically because of shit that goes down later. Surprised you hated them, most people I know loved them.

The Kiritsugu backstory episodes are the best episodes in the show.

I don't know, I just kind of found it slow, boring and generic. Felt really out of place. Very little emotion, scenes seemed disjointed. Plus I really do not find
zombies
interesting.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Legend of Korra season 3 episode 12+13
Holy shit what a finale, lots of drama, great animation, a few shonen powerups here and there, but done well, overall loved it, all complete with a bittersweet ending thats almost melancholy.

mankoto

Technically speaking,
she doesn't know it's Mein. Tatsumi said (going off of the translation), "I have a girl I like and I'm going out with her," so it'd be fair to say it's open season on the females at Night Raid.

Branduil

Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME

Ojamajo Doremi - 13

Nice episode. Seriously wasn't expecting that bit with the frogs though, lol. Though I gotta say, what is it with anime and always introducing these powerful abilities that "can only be used on occasion" but almost end up always being used every episode later on?

Like, they've used the Magical Stage almost every episode from when it's been introduced even though they were told to only do it when absolutely necessary. It's like in Gundam 00 where it was stated that the Trans-Am mode lowers the Gundam's performance after use, but they still ended up using it very frequently as the series went on.

It's just something I find odd, is all.

Kyuur

Legend of Korra season 3 episode 12+13
Holy shit what a finale, lots of drama, great animation, a few shonen powerups here and there, but done well, overall loved it, all complete with a bittersweet ending thats almost melancholy.

I'm really hoping that melancholy carries onto the next season. In a way that isn't irritating.

wonzo

Banned
Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME
dont forget the german named adolf

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

I feel like you're trying to make an allusion to a moment in history, but I can't quite put my head around it.

White guilt

Jarmel

Banned
Sigh. As a black male, I've always had my issues with anime's portrayal of Africans/AA but I have a feeling this is going to push me over the edge.

Fucking Japan.

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

thatsracist.gif

+

406c12d676abde46fccd8391c19c8b0c103114d64e7cb1036eddd6600c9f3099.jpg

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME
Clearly it's satire. Clearly.
Hatewatch is now a double entendre.
*claps*

Why didn't they make them purple? That's what Pokemon did to make it where it couldn't be seen as racist. Then again Mr Popo.

edit: LAWL nvm Mr Popo is blue in the 4kids version of DBZ Kai
4piKBxq.png

Space Dandy - 21 (sub)
I really like how Nakura and Watanabe establish a world with melancholic imagery and inhabitants that debate the idea of mortality without ever wallowing in it through dialogue. It lets the visuals and music create a mood that carries the episode while still dabbling in the more abstract, headier sci-fi/fantasy ideas that that I've enjoyed from other equally great episodes in this series.

After Season 1 ended, I'd realized that the show was at its best whenever it strayed away from the outright comedic scenarios. And I have to commend Watanabe for being able to solidify that thought for me here while staying true to the sillier nature of Dandy. His acceptance ended up feeling surprisingly resonant with the help of the great music. I love how it ends.

kasane

Well anyways im into ep 3 of aldnoah loving it so far. But im thinking the twist is so fucking obvious you gotta be blind not to specilate and be even a bit right

Droplet

But I mean in terms of how direct it is versus just implying gaysex(tm).

Looking at some images of the recent episode it looks like they portrayed some censored foreplay? But I have some anime magazine somewhere in my apartment and I remember an ad for a yaoi show and they were clearly having sex in one of the pictures so...

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

kVg41Yp.jpg

When is CR going to put up Hanamonogatari? Did it get delayed again?

Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a Miyazaki film before. I was never introduced as a kid and as I've grown up I have always heard of their esteem and quality. I saw Nausicaa as I was browsing after picking up a copy of the first season of 30 Rock and decided to pick it up partly because it was a Ghibli film but also because I was drawn to the cover art.

If you enjoyed the film, you should definitely read the manga. This box set is amaaaaaaazing.

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

Seems like racism is the least of the show's problems.

This season so far (the numbers are the episodes I've seen so far, of course) --

Everyone Assemble! Falcom School 1-11 - This is another two-minute-episodes series. I really like this! Sure, I don't get all of the references because I haven't played a lot of Falcom's games, such as most of their traditional RPGs, but I hav;e played enough of their games (most of the Ys games, for instance, and some others) that this is pretty amusing. Some of the humor is general gaming RPG-related humor, too, and some of it is quite silly, such as when Adol gets arrested because of his constant thievery... because, you know, RPG heroes always steal everything that's not tied down. Silly stuff. :)

Sabagebu 1-7 - This is probably my favorite show this season, beating out Hana Yamata. Sabagebu is a crazy group-of-girls comedy show about a high school airsoft club. Sometimes it's stupid, other times it's just weird, but this show is never entirely predictable, and that's a good thing! The main character girl isn't a normal protagonist, either; she pretends to nice, but has a vindictive side which comes out sometimes. If someone does something mean to her, she wants to do it back to them and worse. It's hard to describe how odd this show is, but it is funny most of the time, at least. The humor is a mixture of the expected otaku stuff with other random weirdness. It's also loaded with visual silliness -- for instance, during the airsoft fights, it draws everything as if they had real guns, so the girls get "bullet wounds". They also never use eye protection, ridiculously for such an activity. But the series does have plenty of (accurate but comical) warnings that this isn't really an airsoft show, and that is quite right. What it is, though, is a good series. There are occasional jokes that I don't like, such as when one of the girls
accidentally causes a helicopter to crash, killing the random unnamed crew member guys, and it's just laughed off as a joke
, but it's mostly pretty good, and I've liked this quite well so far. This is the only show I've kept up with all season and watch as soon as I notice the next episode is out.

Hana Yamata 1-4 - This is a drama/shoujo-ai series about girls in school who form a Yosukoi (traditional Japanese dance form) team. The main character is an extremely shy girl (she's also a fan of fairy tales) who gets dragged out of her shell by a foreign girl who is an enthusiastic fan of Yosukoi, and wants to set up a team while she's in Japan. So far though, it's mostly about the problems that have kept them from getting started -- only two girls are in the team and no one else wants to join, the student council president is making things difficult for them, the other two interested girls have issues, etc. So yeah, lots of drama, to a somewhat annoying degree. Still, this is a decent series and I will keep watching it. I just hope that they can actually get the other girls to finally join the club soon! Four episodes in, and there are still only two of them, dealing with constant opposition... argh. The MC's two friends need to admit that they want to join the club already! Ep. 4 seemed to set up one of them as working through her problems, so I hope that the next episode moves that forward. Then they can work on that student council president, who the OP shows as part of the team.

Hana Yamata 5-7 - Well, so far, I'd say that this series is 49% moeblob yuribait, 48% drama, and like 3% actual Yosakoi. Well, I'm mostly okay with that; I do find those other things more interesting than dance. But yes, this is a very cute series with constant friendship drama. It's good. Good production values too, for the most part. Ep. 7 is all about one of the girls' having to deal with problems. I liked the episode a lot better than the one for the rich girl, this one worked well. Still no sign of the president being interested in yosakoi, though. Huh.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 1-3 - This is a shoujo I presume. The main character is a somewhat generic girl, but she's too shy to confess to the guy she likes, so instead she says "I'm your fan", and he turns out to actually be a shoujo manga author (using a female pseudonym I believe). So she ends up being an assistant, filling in black areas in his manga. The series is about them and the other somewhat crazy characters in their school. It's amusing, most of the time, but I didn't like some of the themes in episode 3 (the new "prince" girl and the guy who likes her, I don't like how he treats her), so I don't know if I'll stick with this or not. It got off to a decent start though, and definitely is funny sometimes; it is a comedy first, potential romance second.

Himegoto 1-7 - This is a 4-minute anime about a crossdressing boy who is being forced to crossdress (and join the student council) by the three girls who are the rest of the student council. It's usually amusing, as are the mangas. I wish that this show had more than two or three minutes per episode, because it's entertaining. Of course the crossdressing guy is more feminine than the actual girls... :p

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal 1-4 - This is a remake of the first season of Sailor Moon, supposedly more based on the manga this time. I haven't read the manga, so I wouldn't know, but it's definitely a lot like the original first season of the anime... but with some changes here and there. Perhaps most obviously so far, Rei is indeed different from how she was in the original anime; this Rei seems a bit less interesting, I miss the tsundere one from the original series. Ah well. Otherwise, well, it's Sailor Moon, except with the transformation scenes in painfully mediocre CG this time. I'm not a fan, of course -- never liked Sailor Moon much -- but it's moderately amusing.

Momo Kyun Sword 1-5 - This is a fanservice series. It's set in fantasy ancient Japan, and is a retelling of the classic Momotarou story, except with a girl lead character and lots of fanservice. Well, at least it's not a harem show, that's a big plus! Momo is the main character, not some guy. There is also a evil princess rival girl who Momo regularly fights with, and various other generic monster villains, as both sides try to collect all of the pieces of the thing which shattered and was scattered all over Japan. Also, Momo's three animal companions (a monkey, pheasant, and dog, of course, as per the original story) can merge with her, to turn her into enhanced forms for better fighting ability. Yeah, it's not exactly original, but it's mostly entertaining in that fanservice action anime way. Nothing too bad here either, thankfully.

Momo Kyun Sword 6-7 - More of the same. One of these episodes has the team of deity assistant girls turned into idols, because of course in ancient Japan they had modern-day idols, along with modern bathing suits and everything else, right? Yeah, that episode is even more completely out of time as this series usually is, and that's saying a lot. I know, a series like this is never, ever expected to have any kind of accuracy, but still it's kind of dumb. The episode isn't the best, either. Quite predictable, though this show usually is. Okay series still, though, overall. This series isn't great, but it's amusing, and isn't too bad or unpleasant... unlike the next show below.

Majimoji Roromu 1-2 - THIS is bad. BAD BAD BAD, and I have most definitely dropped it. I only watched episode 2 to see how awful it really would be, and yeah, it was terrible. This show goes down the list of some of the worst TV anime tropes. So, the main character is a Nice Pervert, and also a massive White Knight of course. The main girl is a Naive Actually Hundreds Of Years Old Pseudo-loli Witch. Because of the stupid goingson of episode one, she lost her powers, and can only use them when he says so byu using a ticket from this book of tickets. If he gets through them all she gets her powers back, but this will supposedly kill him, so he tries not to... but because of how he's a white knight, of course he can't resist protecting her through ticket use, etc. I imagine in the end he'll use up all the tickets but not die, but I will most defi8nitely not be watching to see, this is a horrendously unpleasant thing to watch. Of course part of the problem is that I greatly dislike the lolicon thing as a concept regardless of how old the show "actually makes the character", but the main characters' behavior is probably even worse. This guy is the most frustratingly awful protagonist in an anime I actually watched since... I don't know what, maybe Maken-ki?

Magical Girl Wars
1-7 - This is a bad 3-4 minute anime with "comedy" that is rarely funny, and is often insultingly bad. Don't bother.

Francseca 1-7 - 12 minute comedy anime about the undead, mostly. There is one human girl who's the lead anti-undead fighter in Hokkaido, but otherwise this is about various undead people, and in one case statue. Francesca herself is one of the zombies, but they are more. Of course, they look pretty much like people with stitches on them and stuff, and can talk just fine; these aren't movie zombies. They don't seem overly threatening, either... some do have powers, but this is a comedy, not an action show; none of them so far are really particularly evil, it seems. That's good, it helps with the comedy. This is an average show, though; it's amusing, but not really funny, and the characters aren't the most interesting either. Also, Francesca is mostly a complete moeblob idiot, which is quite annoying; I don't like that character type at all. Her stronger side, of course, rarely appears. I'll probably keep watching this, but it's just a timewaster, not anything particularly good.

Rail Wars 1 - This is one part train-otaku show, and one part harem show. Yes, it's both. Unfortunately, I think more of the budget went into the CG trains than anything else, at least going by this first episode; the trains look as good as you could expect from TV anime CG, but the characters sometimes look hideous! It's distractingly ugly looking at times. The series itself seems quite generic, too. It's an alternate-world series where one national company runs all of the Japanese railways, an the MC and his harem are new employees there. In this first episode, they go through training, and stop some badguys along the way, on the rails of course. The show is loaded with fanservice of the female characters, and shots of trains, and that's about it. Kind of boring, overall; I don't know if I'll go back to it or not, it's certainly not anything good.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance 1-2 - This is another harem comedy action show, except this one has magical powers, and is set in a school. Of course, this is a school for rich girls with magical potential, and the MC has been called here because he is like the only guy with the magical powers people have here... so of course some of the girls quickly become a harem. The main girl is kind of tsun, of course, and the MC is kind of perverted but is also nice. Yes, the characters in this show are quite stereotypical. It's not bad, though, just average. I'll probably watch more.

Tokyo ESP 1 - This is an action show. It apparently has a female protagonist, but she only appears in the last seconds of this episode, so I haven't seen much of her yet. This show is loaded with overdone action and violence; see, a group of people with superpowers (ESP) have decided to take over and get rid of the normals, and their terrorism gets off to a fast start in this episode with an attack on the Japanese parliament building. I don't usually like things with as much action and violence as this, and this really was no exception. It's an action series, with superpowered people, etc. Blah. I'm not sure if I'll watch more.

Droplet

Terra Formars OVA

#ANIME

Wait a minute, Spiderman? Is this...meant to be taken seriously? What the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom